daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Cities, Places, Travel and Geography > Metro Manila

View Poll Results: How would you rate the quality of life in Manila?
Excellent, I'm fully satisfied 10 2.95%
Satisfactory, but can be improved 82 24.19%
Needs ALOT of improvement! 247 72.86%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:17 PM   #11021
Jrommel
BRANNED

Likes (Received): 212

ma-improve lang talaga nila yung mga facilities tulad ng mga comfort rooms,parks,benches atbp.,mawala mga smoke belchers sigurado marami pupunta ng maynila

sana maisaayos ng private developers/concerned groups yung mga area papunta ng mga pasyalan sa maynila
nakapag-establish na ng komunidad ang mga skwaters sa loob ng intramuros
Ang dapat ay Aral, trabaho, ipon pera,saka mag-asawa.Aasenso ka.Garantisado.Natulungan mo pa ekonomiya mo.Tulungan ang sarili, magulang,pamilya at bansa para makaahon sa kahirapan.

Sponsored Links

Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM   #11022
michael677

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbaicrviser View Post
Masyado nang mabilis ang paglubog ng Manila. Sa mga latest photos ng Pasig River, parang laging high tide, halos kadikit na ng tubig ang lupa.
yes so true! quite scary indeed
michael677 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #11023
Christian_123
MMMPPH!

Likes (Received): 763

Sana ispread nila un restoration projects outside ng intramuros....

At sana, alisin lahat ng asphalt roads at ibalik ang cobble stone roads sa loob ng intramuros..

Your mom and 10 other relatives liked this post
Christian_123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:44 AM   #11024
metrosuburban

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrommel View Post
ma-improve lang talaga nila yung mga facilities tulad ng mga comfort rooms,parks,benches atbp.,mawala mga smoke belchers sigurado marami pupunta ng maynila

sana maisaayos ng private developers/concerned groups yung mga area papunta ng mga pasyalan sa maynila
nakapag-establish na ng komunidad ang mga skwaters sa loob ng intramuros
i dont understand why there remains to be squatters in Intramuros. In old Phil Free Press mags (with front pages in COLOR) ive been scanning in TNL, Mayor Antonio Villegas in 1962 demolished all of them, and brought them to what is now called Sapang Palay, the largest resettlement project of the govt. more than 4 decades have passed, eto na naman lahat ng problema.. The Port Area is even worse, kylangan tanggalin lahat ng squatters dun, its where most of Manila's criminals eat, live and sleep..
metrosuburban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM   #11025
Ph Man
Manila, PH

Likes (Received): 209

@ Ronnie, manila has two interesting father-and-son type towers near divisoria. i can see it from lrt 1. i don't think they have their own thread yet.

...sana mabawasan ang population ng manila.
anong bang meron sa metro manila at dumadagsa ang mga tao dito?
Ph Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #11026
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 72

uhm jobs?

investments are poured in the capital at napabayaan ang mga probinsya. cebu, davao and cdo are starting to boom but it's not enough to siphon people from going to manila.
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #11027
Ph Man
Manila, PH

Likes (Received): 209

i think you are right. they think the grass is green in manila. well in fact it's not. if you don't have the skills set. jobs and investments should be moved toward the countryside or to neighbor provinces. that's why i like the idea of Eton City and Nuvali, or even the ones we have in major cities like Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, etc.
Ph Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #11028
METROPOLITAN_ILOILO
ILONGGO SUPREMACY

Likes (Received): 3048

Quote:
Originally Posted by habagatcentral1 View Post
I have to agree with Christian on this. Kahit anong pagpapa-sugar coating mo sa Maynila, Manila and Manila will always make a way for it for to feel its negative and positive vibes to virtually anyone and everyone. Think about it, its not just in aesthetics that brings Manila to life...but the people.

I'm sorry, I'm no fan of "post card" city. Yes, there are many aesthetically beautiful sites too in Manila. Unfortunately, this is what the residents and the politicians did to Manila. Ask any old Manileño from Sampaloc to Malate and they'll say the same thing...ganito kami kaganda noon, bakit nyo pinabayaan ngayon?

Now, if we do not like to see Manila as this and make it again as another European clean city, then better start shoving the politician's asses with what they are doing. Intramuros alone isn't easy to handle for example--the informal settlers have their "protectors" and the IA simply couldn't just do it alone.

Yet, I don't lose hope for Manila.
Manila in the 60's... my heart really aches when I compare the then and now. What really happened?

Just look at the the pictures (not mine, got it from FB friend of a friend)
Now, its all nostalgia....

The captions are not mine by but by the uploader, you can really sense the sadness...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The first picture was before the '60's Old Manila. The environment was still very clean during that time. Based on the old mobiles, Studebakers, Buicks & Pontiacs.
A 1953 Ford on the street..

There were no Metro Aides, Bayani Fernando-cleaners, and store owners were cleaning their areas. Pedestrians were also much disciplined. Very little 'hukays' and manholes were clean and were clearly visible to pedestrians. People were so disciplined. Take a look at the pedestrian crossings. Escolta is where people would buy their Boursege’s from Greg Shoes or Ang Tibay. It could be much better looking than Colehaans and Ferragamos. The streets were shiny, much like the streets of Singapore now.

LYRIC Theatre (in the photo above), IDEAL, STATE, ODEON were the best theatres. Environment inside and outside... absolutely clean. There were no double parking allowed and drivers followed. Streets didn’t have 2 policemen and 4 Traffic Aides for each corner. You’d be safe even if you held a clutch bag while shopping. Manholes were covered well and during those days,they were clean and polished, much like those you’d see in Champ Elysee’. We could beat Paris. Ang ganda ng bayan natin noon.

ILOve! ILOve! The City of LOVE!

Metropolitan Iloilo : "The Emerging Museum City"
Uswag Ilonggo, Uswag Iloilo! Basta Ilonggo, Baskog!
METROPOLITAN_ILOILO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #11029
METROPOLITAN_ILOILO
ILONGGO SUPREMACY

Part II of Nostalgic 60's Manila

Dencia’s was famous for Pansit Mami, much like Mamonluk or Ricebowl. P1.50 ang mami, 10 sentimo ang Coca Cola.
5 centimo ang sarsaparilla. This was very near Villalobos and Carriedo. Look at the jeepneys. They were not overloaded.

Pasig was very clean. The photographer must have taken this photo (above) October to December timeframe. But Pasig, during summer would have beautiful water lilies, tiny Quiapo’s floating amidst white, yellow and purple water lilies. The water from our rich and abundant rivers was emerald green and blue. Napakalinis and walang amoy. In fact, I know for a fact that a lot of private yachts would pass through our Pasig River from various parts of Rizal, Malabon and Marikina. It was beautiful!

Manila was just a beautiful place!

Old November 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #11030
METROPOLITAN_ILOILO
ILONGGO SUPREMACY

Part III of Nostalgic 60's Manila

If you’d take an L5 plane or a Piper Cab and take pictures of Dewey Boulevard (now Roxas Boulevard) from above, you’d be so proud to say, that the place is much better than Cote d'Azur. Environment was just so very clean, air was refreshing, and take a look at the sea... wasn’t that a gift given to us during those days?!

1958 Chevy on the street...
Sidewalks were not extended to suit the pedestrians, Sta. Cruz Church was a blessed monument. Nagbibigayan ang mga drivers. Bihira ang nag-gigitgitan.

Avenida Rizal was a treat to everyone. There were no prostitutes or body-brokers. Avenida was not a fickle place. It was not a 'now a bistro boulevard, tomorrow a street; now a tiangge or night market and tomorrow a bistro boulevard'. It was a simple Avenida where everyone enjoyed to see what was 'now showing', what movie was 'extended showing', and if Otis or Good Earth had a big sale!!! It was just a big clean place.

Old November 5th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #11031
METROPOLITAN_ILOILO
ILONGGO SUPREMACY

Last Part of Nostalgic 60's Manila

1960 Dodge on the street.

Ayala Avenue was just like Wilshire Boulevard.
Clean and no pollution. You can walk and enjoy the sun. Napakalinis. Walang masyadong Trash bins pero walang basura sa paligid.

Even Parks like Fort Santiago was much better.
No vendors, no cafes. There was not even an ATM machine. Malinis ang paligid!
And then, we had more technocrats, more intelligent people educated here and... stateside?

What did we do to our environment?

The shield of the Island Archipelago - The Philippines...
"Our Home Away From Home"

Old November 5th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #11032
first knight
law and order

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_123 View Post
Sana ispread nila un restoration projects outside ng intramuros....

At sana, alisin lahat ng asphalt roads at ibalik ang cobble stone roads sa loob ng intramuros..
Agree with the idea.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #11033
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 1571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph Man View Post
@ Ronnie, manila has two interesting father-and-son type towers near divisoria. i can see it from lrt 1. i don't think they have their own thread yet.

...sana mabawasan ang population ng manila.
anong bang meron sa metro manila at dumadagsa ang mga tao dito?
Father and son type towers near Divisoria? I don't have any idea on this.

With so many high rise developments in Metro Manila, it's hard to catch up. In fact, I noticed that a number of high rise and low rise projects are not found in SSC threads like this one along Adriatico Street, Manila.

I like the "green" street of Quirino Avenue.
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #11034
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph Man View Post
i think you are right. they think the grass is green in manila. well in fact it's not. if you don't have the skills set. jobs and investments should be moved toward the countryside or to neighbor provinces. that's why i like the idea of Eton City and Nuvali, or even the ones we have in major cities like Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, etc.
Well, Laguna is still part of MEGA Manila. I want more developments in the cities like Bacolod, parts of Ilocos Norte, Zamboanga etc.
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #11035
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 235

@METROPOLITAN_ILOILO, I've seen those photos before but that's one pretty interesting commentary! I loved reading it.
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #11036
dandman
Think Solutions

Likes (Received): 17

@Metropolitan Iloilo thank you for posting these nostalgic photos of Manila during the 60's.....boy it brings back memories of my younger days.....

I remember Escolta looking like that...for my father had a law firm located along that street.....remember there was a short water bridge there... people were courteous..disciplined..and dressed nicely...

I used to bike around the CCP (Cultural Center of the Philippines) and really enjoying the seabreeze and fresh air when it was the only one standing at that time..and they were still constructing the Folk Arts Theatre.....

I would go to Makati and watch movies either at Rizal or Quad.....

Nostalgia indeed...you got me reminiscing the good ol' days!!!
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #11037
Kuroa
tambay sa morayta

Likes (Received): 6

guys, nakita nyo na ba yung bagong redevelopent sa Espana Blvd?
Kuroa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #11038
michael677

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroa View Post
guys, nakita nyo na ba yung bagong redevelopent sa Espana Blvd?
meron ba? this must be very big news, tell us the good news!

roads near UST are in bad shape, feels like ur driving in Iraq or afghanistan
michael677 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #11039
jcruze057
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by METROPOLITAN_ILOILO View Post
Manila in the 60's... my heart really aches when I compare the then and now. What really happened?

Just look at the the pictures (not mine, got it from FB friend of a friend)
Now, its all nostalgia....

The captions are not mine by but by the uploader, you can really sense the sadness...

The first picture was before the '60's Old Manila. The environment was still very clean during that time. Based on the old mobiles, Studebakers, Buicks & Pontiacs.
A 1953 Ford on the street..

There were no Metro Aides, Bayani Fernando-cleaners, and store owners were cleaning their areas. Pedestrians were also much disciplined. Very little 'hukays' and manholes were clean and were clearly visible to pedestrians. People were so disciplined. Take a look at the pedestrian crossings. Escolta is where people would buy their Boursege’s from Greg Shoes or Ang Tibay. It could be much better looking than Colehaans and Ferragamos. The streets were shiny, much like the streets of Singapore now.

LYRIC Theatre (in the photo above), IDEAL, STATE, ODEON were the best theatres. Environment inside and outside... absolutely clean. There were no double parking allowed and drivers followed. Streets didn’t have 2 policemen and 4 Traffic Aides for each corner. You’d be safe even if you held a clutch bag while shopping. Manholes were covered well and during those days,they were clean and polished, much like those you’d see in Champ Elysee’. We could beat Paris. Ang ganda ng bayan natin noon.
wow, i love your pictures...are those really pinoys? they are so tidy and well dressed
jcruze057 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #11040
spearhead
Global Neutral Observer

Likes (Received): 1870

Nice classic cars!!!
So I come to speak of a society that is sick, so sick that it must either be cured and cured now or buried in a deluge of reforms... For the oligarchy is not impressed by social unrest; it uses it instead to manipulate power and influence. While this government has the means to check the oligarchs, only new laws can guarantee that they will never again impose their will on a free people. -FERDINAND E. MARCOS

6th State of the Nation 1971

Mi trabajo es observar. Porque me est sopa y sashimi!
spearhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manila, metro manila, philippines, urban development