daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old November 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Evertonian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Potential RIBA HQ in Liverpool: Can RIBA be a useful counterweight against the heritage loons in this city?

I was delighted to read this news today of a possible new northern HQ for RIBA on Liverpool's waterfront (apparently at the expense of Manchester as well)

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-27618566/

What can be done to encourage them to go through with this? Letters and emails of encouragement I suggest. Perhaps also a petition.

I think they could act as a valuable counterweight to the heritage brigade who often let the city down with negativity and blanket refusals to accept new buildings.
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #2
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 697

They say they are looking for space near the Albert Dock. Now, unles they are thinking about replacing the Slavery Museum extension, this could mean them takings up space in Mann Island, instead of the blocks being given over to restaurants etc.

No doubt Wayne would blow his nut about some grand conspiracy involving Neptune, the NWDA and RIBA if so, but I cannot think where else they could go.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #3
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 537

As the finest northern city architecturally, possibly excluding York, it's home should be Liverpool.
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #4
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
They say they are looking for space near the Albert Dock.
Whats in the Granada News building nowadays?
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Evertonian
BANNED

Quote:
They say they are looking for space near the Albert Dock. Now, unles they are thinking about replacing the Slavery Museum extension, this could mean them takings up space in Mann Island, instead of the blocks being given over to restaurants etc.

No doubt Wayne would blow his nut about some grand conspiracy involving Neptune, the NWDA and RIBA if so, but I cannot think where else they could go.
Would "near albert dock" include the large amount of space by Kings Dock, near the proposed Exhibition Hall site???

New build would be exciting but I actually think it would be most amusing if they took up office in a regenerated old building in the city, thus sticking up two fingers to EH.

They could then say "Well at least we deem the city important enough to have our HQ there....AND in a heritage building! Where's your Liverpool base and what have you done to bring buildings back into life/stop the rot?"
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #6
General Zod returns

Likes (Received): 94

I remember Wayne Colquohun a few years ago. He was determined to a point to keep all architecture stuck in the 19th century. Buildings like the port of Liverpool building would be astronomical in todays money so I think he wised up and moved on. The times are a changin etc.

The heritage groups have taken a bit of a kicking on this forum over the years and most time rightly so. It's all about a fair balance of protecting our gems and moving forward. Liverpool is a working city and needs to evolve. It is not a museum city like Bath or Venice.
General Zod returns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #7
bustcapl
Cork 2005

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod returns View Post
I remember Wayne Colquohun a few years ago. He was determined to a point to keep all architecture stuck in the 19th century. Buildings like the port of Liverpool building would be astronomical in todays money so I think he wised up and moved on. The times are a changin etc.

The heritage groups have taken a bit of a kicking on this forum over the years and most time rightly so. It's all about a fair balance of protecting our gems and moving forward. Liverpool is a working city and needs to evolve. It is not a museum city like Bath or Venice.
trying to understand where in the article it actually makes any reference to considering Liverpool as potential HQ.

exciteable dp journalism i think

www.justgiving.com/trevorcaplisnyc08
bustcapl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
They say they are looking for space near the Albert Dock.
The Dolls House
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #9
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_P View Post
The Dolls House

Could be, or the Kingston House site, which is already owned by the NWDA.
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #10
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
Could be, or the Kingston House site, which is already owned by the NWDA.
I thought that too after posting. Would be a great addition to the area.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 1171

Albion House could fit the bill, though I can't imagine they'd need a building this big for a regional office

image hosted on flickr
Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 2

Or this perhaps?
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #13
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
I thought that too after posting. Would be a great addition to the area.
Might they have cleared that site specifically to free it up as an option for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello Red View Post
Albion House could fit the bill, though I can't imagine they'd need a building this big for a regional office
By the sounds of it, it is a library/museum too, so no doubt it will require a decent sized building.
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #14
design_man

Likes (Received): 204

I hope this happens. I'm always disappointed at how little floorspace new activities need, and I can imagine this being a fairly modest affair. Maybe they will take a bit of space in the new Merseytravel building, as they have spare space they won't be using.

I like the idea of another indoor year-round attraction, and one that will appeal to the more intelligent and discerning visitor. I can see this generating vists to Liverpool by architecture students and practitioners, as well as being yet another option for weekenders who want things to do, especially in the rain. The museum might work well near to the new Open Eye Gallery, and appeal to a similar group of visitors.
design_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #15
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello Red View Post

image hosted on flickr
Id hope it would be Albion, as its such a sad building, its very beautiful and historical and needs to be saved, and would tart up another spot making the area soooo much better.

The old RSA building would be brilliant to, but the interior is listed, so if they could work with this, that would be a great outcome.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #16
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
The old RSA building would be brilliant to, but the interior is listed, so if they could work with this, that would be a great outcome.
Old RSA building?
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #17
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 914

He meant Royal Insurance (pre merger) Accy. The one Medici posted.
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #18
Ste

Likes (Received): 265

What sort of numbers of staff are we talking about here? The office market in Liverpool could really do with a boost like this.
Ste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

The NW HQ for RIBA is already in Liverpool. Perhaps RIBA intends to collapse all its existing regional bodies in the north into one? Also, what is being proposed here is additional display space so in terms of number of jobs, I'm not expecting too many but in terms of an extra venue for people to visit and its contribution to the overall mix - I guess it can only be a good thing in that it will further establish Liverpool as a place where similar organisations might house their collections.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #20
tomo90

Likes (Received): 176

Why not destroy that abandoned industrial building on Park Lane (By Paradise Street bus station) and build it there. Or do they want to use an existing building? I think that building on Park Lane was supposed to be destroyed and built into office space but it got cancelled due to the recession. Its a proper eye-sore and I hate going past it on the bus into town when Im home from uni.
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote