daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine
Old November 12th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #61
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Likes (Received): 14360

Returning Hajis find Makkah a city transformed

By SIRAJ WAHAB | ARAB NEWS

Published: Nov 12, 2010

MAKKAH: The first thing that strikes you upon entering the holy city from Jeddah is the number of mighty yellow-and red-colored cranes on the skyline from all the ongoing construction projects in Makkah.

Where once stood old buildings, multistory hotels and even hills, there is now leveled land fenced off by metal sheets. Inside, construction workers are busy erecting massive towers that will house pilgrims in the coming years.

One of busiest areas on the Holy Mosque’s western side when you enter from Jeddah used to be the Shamia district. It is completely under construction now. This district used to house hundreds of pilgrims from South Asia and Arab countries. Some of the pilgrims who have been to Makkah in the past look longingly at the area and try to figure out where they had stayed on past visits.

Everything has changed in five years ,” said Mukhtar Nadwi, a pilgrim from Saharanpur, India. “I was here in 2005 along with my wife and my mother. We used to stay at a hotel just opposite Bab Al-Umrah, which is one of the many imposing gates leading into the Holy Mosque. I went there last night to see if I could find the place, but there is no trace of it. The whole area is unrecognizable.”

He wondered where the Bangladeshi man who helped his aging mother those days was.

Pakistani national of Yemeni origin Syed Ashfaq Muscati is also amazed by the speed with which Makkah's skyline has changed.

“I was here six years ago, and our group of pilgrims was staying in an old building located behind Ibrahim Khalil Road,” he said. “The whole area is now part of the massive Jabal Omar project. I remember the tiny Pakistani eatery where we would go to have our favorite subcontinental food — all that is gone. We are told that huge buildings will be coming up here.”

Both Nadwi and Muscati are this time staying in Makkah's Aziziah district. It is quite a distance from the Holy Mosque, but pilgrim establishments and tour operators are providing shuttle services between Aziziah and the Holy Mosque. The free shuttles operate through the tunnels that have been specifically created for these 40-seat coaches.

“It is an excellent service. They drop us at the basement of the Makkah Clock Tower, and in a matter of minutes we are in the courtyard of the Holy Mosque. We take a similar route going back,” Nadwi said.

Aziziah district is one of Makkah’s best-planned areas, featuring comfortable accommodation and a road network leading straight to the Holy Mosque through a tunnel reserved for pilgrims.

Since the beginning of the massive construction projects around the holy city, Saudi authorities have been promoting Aziziah as a planned Haj township. Although it is a considerable distance from the Holy Mosque, because of the construction and consequent congestion, it is nonetheless a viable housing alternative.

In the past, Aziziah used to be favored by Emiratis, Indonesians and Bahrainis. They would deliberately opt for Aziziah in order to avoid problems associated with buildings closer to the Grand Mosque.

The lack of residential space in the areas in the immediate proximity of the Grand Mosque has forced many private tour operators, especially from India and Pakistan, to cut down on the number of pilgrims they would normally bring in during Haj time.

“People back home in Pakistan have now become very conscious of where they will be staying,” said Zahiruddin Jamaluddin Abro from Sukkur in Pakistan’s Sindh province.

“They demand that we tell them the name of the hotels we arrange for them to stay in and the areas in which these hotels are located. They then go on Google and find out the exact location and distance between their hotel and the Grand Mosque.”

He added that in the past, Pakistani Haj operators had no such problem, hiring the best possible hotels very close to the Grand Mosque.

“People are ready to pay, they need services. Our business runs on word of mouth. If we don’t deliver what we have promised then next year nobody would come to us. The returning pilgrims would approach the media, and then all our credibility would be lost,” he added.

Abro says they now tell would-be pilgrims about the lack of residential space around the holy city.

“What we are doing instead is telling those pilgrims staying in Aziziah that they will be shifted to hotels close to the Grand Mosque after Haj,” he said. “After Haj, these nearby hotels will be empty, and most of their current occupants will head to Madinah. Our Haj package is generally 40 days, and so we make sure that our pilgrims pray at ease and in peace after Haj.”

Sri Lankan pilgrim Inayat Mohibullah and his wife have no complaints despite staying quite far from the Grand Mosque.

“We are staying in a district that is near the Ruseifah parking lot. Everyday, we walk to this place because we can’t afford the high rates these taxi drivers demand,” Mohibullah told Arab News, while digging into his favorite chicken at Al-Tazaj.

“It takes us 40 minutes on foot. We did get into taxis on a couple of occasions, but the road is so crowded with pilgrims that it is better to walk than sit in a vehicle that moves literally at a snail’s pace."

He said Haj was all about endurance and sacrifice.

“It is the journey at the end of which one is like a newborn baby,” he said. “For that to happen, one will have to go through small difficulties. What amazes me and touches me, however, is the helping nature of the pilgrims. The other day I saw an old man with a deeply furrowed face pushing a wheelchair with his wife in it. He was having difficulty negotiating a steep incline. There were so many young men who went rushing toward them to help the old man. It is this feeling and these images that keep our spirits and our adrenaline high as we look forward to the five-day rituals that we have to perform beginning Sunday.”

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article187159.ece
Roukaya19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #62
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

12,000 American Muslims to make pilgrimage to Mecca

By OMAR SACIRBEY RELIGION NEWS SERVICE
Nov. 11, 2010, 5:56PM

Some 12,000 American Muslims are expected to join an estimated 2.5 million pilgrims in the Saudi Arabian city of Mecca for the hajj, the annual Islamic pilgrimage that this year runs Sunday through Thursday.

The number of pilgrims expected is about the same as in recent years, said Nail Al-Jubeir, a spokesman for the Saudi Arabian embassy in Washington, D.C., which limits pilgrimage visits to once every five years.

Islam requires followers who are physically and financially capable to complete the hajj once in their lifetime.

Crowding and catastrophic stampedes have led Saudi authorities to issue special hajj visas; since 1990, more than 2,500 pilgrims have been killed in stampedes, and hundreds more die each year as a result of sickness, heart attacks, traffic accidents and other incidents.

Most problems have occurred at an elevated platform known as the Jamarat, from which pilgrims throw stones at walls representing the devil. To ease crowding, Saudi authorities have gradually expanded the Jamarat to five levels and added exits.

Despite efforts to limit the number of pilgrims, hundreds of thousands of mainly Saudi residents still try to perform hajj without permits. "Quite a few people get turned back because of overcrowding," Al-Jubeir said.

Many unauthorized pilgrims evade detection and camp in the hills surrounding Mecca, where Muslims believe Islam's prophet Muhammad received his first revelation from God in 610 A.D.

For American Muslims, the most difficult part of the journey may be the return home. In recent years, many Muslims returning from travel abroad have complained about religious profiling and lengthy searches and questioning at airports and border crossings.

In response, Muslim civil rights groups have issued travel advisories for pilgrims, telling them to expect questioning and advising them what types of questions are legal, such as name and residency, and which are not, including questions about religious or political beliefs.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7290498.html

U.S. Muslim Journeys to Makkah for Hajj 2009

Haj a time of wonder for young S. African convert

Israel Ponty Moletsane is on the journey of a lifetime. (AN Photo)

Published: Nov 13, 2010

MINA: Israel Ponty Moletsane truly is on the journey of a lifetime this year. The 29-year-old South African radio producer converted from Christianity to Islam last year, and now he has traveled to the holy land to perform the Haj.

Moletsane said he learned about his new faith while working at the Channel Islam International radio station in Johannesburg over the last five years. He said many puzzling questions he had about religion were answered after reading the Holy Qur’an.

“I was a Catholic, but as I grew up I became a type of born-again Christian,” Moletsane told Arab News. “I learned everything one step at a time. I was doing the comparison all the time. This is when I realized the contradictions in our holy book. That prompted me to learn more about the Holy Qur’an and Islam. I decided to accept Islam, but I did not have the courage to make my decision public.”

The change came last year when Channel Islam International sent scholar-broadcaster Maulana Moosa Akoodie to report from the Haj.

“My colleagues in the studios in Johannesburg and I were putting him on air,” Moletsane said. “When he was about to go on air from the plains of Arafat, I asked him to pray for me. I thought it would be a personal thing.

Maulana Akoodie, however, mentioned my name in his prayer that was being broadcast live. Hundreds of English-speaking listeners were tuned in. I was moved by the gesture, and suddenly I found all the courage in the world to go public with what I had already believed in my heart. An hour or so later I recited the 'shahada' live on air.

At the other end in Arafat, Maulana Akoodie was listening via telephone. We were then deluged with congratulatory calls. Among them was a call from Yaqoob Vahed of Al-Imdaad Foundation. He instantly announced that he would sponsor my Haj trip next year. That is how I am here. I am chronicling my journey through my audio dispatches and Facebook for Channel Islam International.”

For the new convert, the trip to the holy places has been almost magical. “The highlight of my whole journey was the first look at the Holy Kaaba. It is toward the Kaaba that the world’s Muslims turn toward in prayer,” Moletsane said. “When I saw the Holy Kaaba I could feel the presence of Allah. It was an indescribable feeling.”

Moletsane said his visit has been full of pleasant surprises that have reinforced his decision to convert.

“I came here on Oct. 18, and I landed in Madinah. It is a beautiful, very peaceful city. I was impressed by the side-by-side living of the entire community. One day I lost my phone. I forgot it at a counter in one of the shops. I went there the following day, and I found it exactly where I had left it. It had run out of battery. The shop owner said he couldn’t call anybody because the cell phone was off. He was more than happy to see the phone returned to its rightful owner,” Moletsane said.

“You don’t find such stuff happening in South Africa. Our government is fighting to curb the menace of crime. Also last week when I was separated from my colleague and had no phone on me, there was this group that spoke no English that offered me a phone to contact my colleague. This shows the spirit of brotherhood that pervades here during the Haj.”

He said there are many South Africans, including his parents, who only have mistaken perceptions about Islam.

“They don’t know much about Islam,” Moletsane said. “I am from a small town in one of the South Provinces of Free State. There people don’t know much about Islam. I don’t blame them. Nobody told them about Islam. They think this is an Indian culture.”

He shared many of those misgivings with other uninformed South Africans at one time. “I had all the negative images about them,” Moletsane said of Muslims. “I believed everything that the media said about them. I hated Muslims like many other people — the kind of stuff that you can expect from born-again Christians. I linked Muslims with terrorism. It was all due to media manipulation. Like other South African Christians, I would think that this religion was only for Indians and that it is not for us Africans and that it is not for black people. Having come into the fold of Islam, I discovered that was not the case.”

Channel Islam International presenter and talk show host Ebrahim Moosa said Moletsane’s story is being followed widely in many nations where the radio station is popular.

For Moletsane, his time in Saudi Arabia continues to be a source of wonder. “This is not an ordinary structure,” he said while talking about the Holy Kaaba. “It was built by Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him). This is out of this world. I was very emotional when I cast my glance at the Kaaba, and I remembered all those who had asked me to pray for them. Tears rolled down my eyes, but I didn’t make any effort to stop them. May Allah accept my Haj, and may He protect all those who helped me in my journey of discovery of the true religion.”

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/arti...e?comments=all

30,000 cars with illegal Hajis turned away

Passport police stop vehicles to check pilgrim permits at the Shumaisy checkpoint on Jeddah-Makkah Expressway on Friday night.
By BADEA ABU AL-NAJA | ARAB NEWS

Published: Nov 13, 2010 00:17 Updated: Nov 13, 2010 00:17

MAKKAH: Assistant Commander of the Haj Passport Forces Col. Owaid Al-Sahli said approximately 30,000 vehicles carrying unlicensed pilgrims have been barred from entering the holy city at 18 checkpoints situated at the entrances to Makkah since they were set up on Nov. 6.

The checkpoints have been established to turn away pilgrims attempting to enter the holy city without the permits required as part of the government's crowd-control policy.

Hundreds of Saudi and expatriate drivers have been detained for attempting to smuggle domestic pilgrims in car boots, trucks and buses. Foreign drivers were handed to the Passport Department for deportation. Saudis caught doing the same face prison time and fines.

People with official business in Makkah not related to Haj must carry a letter from their sponsors approved by the Passport Department.

“Officials specialized in identifying forgery are posted at the checkpoints,” Al-Sahli pointed out.

Regarding the traffic arrangements the commander said two more lanes have been reserved on the Jeddah-Makkah Expressway for vehicles carrying pilgrims who arrived at Jeddah's King Abdulaziz International Airport. Buses on those dedicated lanes have been specially approved to pass all other checkpoints once they have been searched and cleared at the departure point.

Women pilgrims are being checked by women officials.

Al-Sahli said they occasionally encounter men disguised in burqa attempting to enter Makkah without permits during Haj or women who do not have permits but try to enter as female relatives of permit-wielding male pilgrims.

Meanwhile, the Passport Department turned away 381 pilgrims who were attempting to enter the Kingdom with fake documents or counterfeit visas, Passports Department spokesman Lt. Col. Badr Muhammad Al-Malik said.

The recently implemented fingerprinting and photographing of those entering the Kingdom was cited as helping authorities identify people who have committed immigration infractions in the past.

“The fingerprint records helped identify those who attempted to enter the Kingdom after deportation in the past or returned to the Kingdom with changed passports containing details contrary to their earlier details recorded in the Kingdom,” Al-Malik said.

In another development, Director General of Passports Maj. Gen. Salim Al-Belaihid said all branches of the Passport Department would work during the Eid Al-Adha holidays to undertake services, such as issuing emergency exit/re-entry visas.

Al-Belaihid ordered all directors of branch offices to report for duty on time and regularly so that they can ensure that all works are undertaken properly and promptly.

The director general urged all citizens and expatriates not to seek the services of the Passport Department during the holidays unless the matter is extremely urgent. The government holiday began on Thursday and lasts two weeks.

The Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday that Saudi missions abroad have stamped 1,761,395 Haj visas until Tuesday, when the visa issuance stopped.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article188484.ece

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 23rd, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #63
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Mecca as it appeared 125 years ago

Last Updated: Nov 13, 2010

In the spirit of Eid al Adha, the photography gallery The Empty Quarter in Dubai is exhibiting historical photographs of Mecca originally published by the Dutch scholar Christiaan Snouck Hurgronje in 1889.

Snouck Hurgonje (1857-1936) is the founder of contemporary Islamic studies in the Netherlands, and believed that racial and religious diversity can go hand in hand with peaceful coexistence. His life was filled with still-relevant ideological controversies and revolutionary statements.

He had an intrinsic curiosity, distinct knowledge of Islam and fluency in Arabic that allowed him, even as a foreigner, to enter the city forbidden to non-Muslims. After Snouck Hurgronje successfully defended his dissertation, Het Mekkaansche Feest (The Meccan Celebration), in 1880 at Leiden University, he wanted to study Islam in its very centre; he arrived on the Arabian Peninsula on August 28, 1884.

He spent his first months in Jeddah, learning the local dialect and preparing to seek approval to enter Mecca. He gathered a circle of influential friends around him, not in the least because of his photographic equipment. At the time, photography was mysterious and new and most likely helped him break down social barriers.

About this time he symbolically took a Muslim name, Abd al Gaffar. There are some who doubt whether he truly converted to Islam, but he does describe a circumcision in remarkable detail, and he received a visit from the qadi of Jeddah, and his travel companion addressed him as "a brother in God".

When Snouck Hurgronje finally set foot in Mecca on the eve of February 22, 1885, he circled the Kaaba, kissed the Black Stone and drank the holy water of Zam Zam.

"I made acquaintance with modern Meccan society at first hand, heard with my own ears what that international population learns and teaches … I have studied the ideal and the reality … in mosque, divan, coffeehouse and living room," Snouck Hurgronje wrote.

He described the "neighbours of Allah" as a heterogeneous society focused on trade. He spoke highly of the freedom enjoyed by women. The book that gained him international recognition, Mecca in the Latter Part of the 19th Century, is an important historical source and deals with social and family life, funeral customs and marriage.

During his intense five months in Mecca, he struck a friendship with a doctor who coincidentally shared the same Arabic name, Abd al Gaffar, and his fascination for photography. Together they struggled with the heavy camera and hand-retouched negatives in a portable darkroom. Until 30 years ago, it was assumed the photographs in the album Photographs of Mecca were the sole work of Snouck Hurgronje, but scientific research has recognised Dr al Gaffar as the first Meccan photographer.

Snouck Hurgronje's "medieval dream" ended abruptly in August that year, after French media falsely accused him of wanting to steal a historical artefact. He left the city under armed escort, leaving his pregnant Ethiopian slave wife and photo equipment behind. He never returned.

Mecca: A Dangerous Adventure – Snouck Hurgronje's early photographs 1885: The Platinum Series runs until December 6 in The Empty Quarter, Gate Village Building 2, Dubai. For more information, see www.theemptyquarter.com

To see more pictures from the exhibition, click below
100 Years old Makkah

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 13th, 2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old November 13th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #64
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Friday sermon stirs millions in Makkah

MAKKAH: About two million pilgrims listened with rapt attention to Imam Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais’ soul-stirring 40-minute sermon on Friday from the Grand Mosque in Makkah. The sermon was carried live on state television and many Arab, African and Asian television stations. On many occasions during the sermon the congregation was reduced to tears as the imam spoke about the tough times that Islam faces in these critical times.

Calling for the liberation of Palestine, Al-Sudais said now is the time for Palestinian factions to bury their differences.

These differences have only added to the miseries of our brothers and sisters in Palestine. This inhuman blockade has made life hellish for them. Now is the time for Muslim countries to unify their ranks and liberate Palestinians from the shackles of this inhuman bondage,” he said. “All differences among regional countries should be and can be resolved in the true spirit of Islam. The best example of our unity is this congregation in which every Muslim from every corner is united through the love of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the Holy Qur’an.”Al-Sudais described Palestine as the single biggest problem confronting the nation of Islam.

Every day brings a new form of misery for them,” he said, breaking down in tears. “O Allah, unite all Muslim nations.”

The congregation responded with a vociferous “Aameen.”

The imam repeatedly stressed the value of unity. “Our divisions have given our adversaries the ruse to exploit us. We are fragmented despite being in such a large number. Unity is the key to our well-being. The message of Haj is unity. Let us pray for the unification of Muslims throughout the planet.”

The imam also stressed the need for hope and optimism with trust in Allah at all times of adversity. He quoted the Holy Qur’an: “And never give up hope in God’s soothing mercy: Truly no one despairs of God’s soothing mercy except those who have no faith.”

Al-Sudais congratulated the pilgrims for undertaking the most important journey of their lives. “This was your lifelong dream. You always wanted to be here. You always wanted to carry out this important task of Haj. Well, here you are in the holy land. You are lucky. It is all due to the blessings of Allah the Almighty. I congratulate you. From here you should take the most important message of Islam and that is tawheed (the oneness of Allah).”

Referring to Iraq, he said the cycle of unending wars has destroyed that nation. “Again, it is the lack of unity and petty issues that have been responsible for the tragedy in Iraq,” he said.

Al-Sudais thanked the Saudi leadership, led by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah, for landmark projects to provide ease and comfort to the pilgrims during the various rituals of Haj.

The train services for pilgrims that go into operation this year are a remarkable achievement. May Allah protect this leadership, and may He grant them long life,” he said.

The Makkah Metro is ready to service pilgrims during this Haj. Saudi Arabia has poured billions of riyals into various infrastructure projects in Makkah, Mina and Arafat. The cost of such projects has never been passed onto the pilgrims.

Al-Sudais also paid rich tribute to all those Saudis who have dedicated themselves into the service of pilgrims. “You deserve congratulations for helping the guests of God. Allah has bestowed this rare honor on you to help the pilgrims, and you have not let the pilgrims down. May Allah keep you safe.”

I've never experienced such calmness,” retired Nigerian military officer Salisu Ali said of Al-Sudais’ sermon. “I don’t speak Arabic nor do I understand it, but the verses that he was quoting from the Qur’an are all too familiar to us. And I could understand in what context he was quoting them. I couldn’t control my tears because everyone was crying. The sheikh moved us all.”

An aged Pakistani woman, Begum Jahanara Sarwat, said she never felt such peace.

“We keep hearing all these bad stories and depressing events," she said. "However, today I did not feel weak at all. Why should I? We are this many people,” she added as she gestured to the throng of faithful. “Is it possible for our enemies to destroy us? These are momentary setbacks, my son. Don’t lose hope. Allah se acche ki ummeed rakho (Expect good from Allah)."

Every corner of the Grand Mosque was filled by pilgrims as early as 10 a.m. even though the time for Friday prayer was scheduled for 12:05 p.m. The relatively hot weather did not deter the pilgrims from performing the prayer on roads and in alleyways surrounding the mosque.

The congregation thinned an hour after the prayer, and outside the mosque pigeons fluttered past the minarets and swooped down on any vacant space available in the mosque’s massive courtyard.

Spirituality combined with anxiety was evident on many pilgrims’ faces. With just 24 hours remaining before pilgrims begin the trek to the valley of Mina in the first leg of the five-day journey, the pilgrims’ minds are clearly focused on the rituals that they will perform in fulfillment of their obligations.

“We are a little anxious. Being in Makkah is an overwhelming experience," said Syed Abbas, an elderly Indian man making his first pilgrimage. "There are so many people here. We come from a small town. Even performing circumambulation or tawaf is a big task."

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article188466.ece

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 13th, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old November 13th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #65
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Holy Sites Train makes 1st passenger trip today

November 13, 2010

MAKKAH: The new Holy Sites Train will take on board its first passengers Saturday at 2 P.M., transporting up to a capacity of 3,000 pilgrims between Mina, Muzdalifa and Arafat via the Al-Jamarat Bridge.

The light rail track service represents a new dawn for the pilgrimage, replacing the 4,000 buses previously used and reducing crowding and waiting time as visitors are shuttled between the holy sites faster and more easily than ever before.

With some 2.5 million Muslim pilgrims descending on Makkah for the annual Haj, the train – which for this year’s pilgrimage will be at 35 percent of its operational capacity – is the most significant development in bids to ease what has on occasion been fatal congestion.

The train project, when completed next year, has a projected capacity to transport 100,000 pilgrims per hour between the holy sites.

Security, meanwhile, is as tight as ever, and Prince Naif Bin Abdul Aziz, Second Deputy Prime Minister and Minster of Interior, has said he cannot rule out an Al-Qaeda attempt to disrupt the five-day ritual, which begins Sunday, although the group has not attacked pilgrims in the past. “We cannot trust them. We do not rule out any attempt to disturb the security of the Haj,” Prince Naif said after a parade of military skills by security forces and Civil Defense Wednesday. “We are ready for any act that might take place.”

The head of Saudi General Security, Gen. Saeed Al-Qahtani, said “these men are ready to face any situation when needed”.

Authorities are continuously on alert to the danger of fatal incidents during the pilgrimage, and Wednesday’s parade saw the Civil Defense bring out dozens of fire engines, ambulances, cranes that can lift up to 160 tons, smoke extractors and lifeboats, all of which have been used at some point in Haj incidents in the past.

The Kingdom has spent unceasingly to expand the capacity of Makkah to accommodate the ever-increasing number of pilgrims.

The area has seen deadly stampedes in the past, mainly at the Al-Jamarat Bridge in Mina, where pilgrims rush while performing the symbolic rite of stoning the devil.

In January 2006, 364 pilgrims were killed in a stampede at the entrance to the bridge, and 251 were trampled to death in 2004. In July 1990, 1,426 pilgrims were trampled or asphyxiated to death in a stampede in a tunnel, also in Mina.

The deaths prompted authorities to dismantle the old bridge and replace it with a multi-level bridge. The last of the three levels will be opened this season, and pilgrim traffic has been made one-way to ensure a smooth flow.
The new structure has numerous entrances and exits, while crowds are monitored with 30 cameras equipped with software that measures crowd density.

Congestion is also a problem in the Grand Mosque which has a capacity of 700,000 in addition to 180,000 in its plaza. Final figures for this year are not yet definite, as pilgrims continue to arrive from abroad, and the number of local ones is still uncertain.

Efforts to combat congestion have included targeting persons who conduct the pilgrimage without going through official channels. The “No Permit, No Haj” scheme, which has introduced more stringent measures on both local pilgrims and pilgrims from abroad, has been hailed as a success by the Kingdom’s authorities. By Tuesday last week, police at checkpoints and other sites had prevented 29,000 illegal pilgrims from entering Makkah.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...=2010111387301

Old November 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #66
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

King Abdullah advised rest

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah
By ARAB NEWS

RIYADH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah is indisposed due to a disc problem, a Royal Court statement said Friday.

“In line with King Abdullah’s policy of transparency in his relations with his sons and daughters of the Kingdom, the Royal Court announces that the king has a back problem. Doctors have advised him to take rest as part of a treatment regime,” the Saudi Press Agency quoted the statement as saying.

In another statement the Royal Court said King Abdullah ordered that studies will resume in all educational institutions under the General Education Department and the Higher Education on Nov. 27 instead of Nov. 22.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article188518.ece

King delegates Naif to oversee Haj

Second Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Prince Naif
By ARAB NEWS

RIYADH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah has appointed Second Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Prince Naif to oversee the Haj pilgrimage, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

Prince Naif's designation came a day after doctors asked the king to rest due to a disc problem.

Crown Prince Sultan, deputy premier and minister of defense and aviation, is on private vacation in the Moroccan city of Agadir.

Naif, who is also chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee, has been in Makkah this week, supervising security arrangements for the annual pilgrimage, in which some two million Muslim pilgrims will gather in the holy city of Makkah.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article189344.ece

Last edited by Roukaya19; August 11th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #67
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Mashair Railway set for historic opening

MAKKAH: Director General of Projects at the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs Abdul Rahman Al-Shahwan made on Saturday an inspection tour of the Mashair Railway to ensure that the train service is ready to carry pilgrims in huge numbers. Al-Shahwan was accompanied by station commander of Muzdalifah Col. Moaed Al-Joaed and newsmen.

The officials started the tour from Station No. 3 in Muzdalifah. Next they visited the stations in Mina beginning from the station on the fourth level of Jamrat Bridge, and then went on to the stations in Arafat and the rail control room there.

Only 35 percent of the work for the Mashair Railway has been completed.

The first train will be flagged off at 12 a.m. early Monday.

The nine trains have a capacity to transport 30,000 pilgrims an hour. Each train is 300 meters in length. When the SR6.65 billion project is completed, there will be 20 trains in service carrying up to 72,000 pilgrims an hour. They are projected to transport more than half a million pilgrims in 10 hours.

Studies are also under way to extend the service to the Grand Mosque.

The double-track 20-km Mashair Railway in the southern side of the holy sites runs on elevated tracks beginning from the fourth level of the Jamrat Bridge above the King Abdulaziz Road in Mina to Muzdalifah and ends at Station No. 3 in Arafat. The project has nine elevated stations. There are three stations each in Mina, Muzdalifah and Arafat. The length of each station with two platforms is 300 meters and each platform has the capacity to hold 3,000 pilgrims.

Tickets are sold to domestic pilgrim companies at SR250 per ticket, which can be used on all Haj days. On the last day all pilgrims can use the trains at the rate of SR100.

The huge influx of pilgrims will be controlled just like pilgrims are controlled at the Jamrat Bridge. They will be taken in groups of 3,000 to stations on Sunday night.

The train service will also be used in the Umrah and Ramadan seasons to take pilgrims to Makkah from stations close to their residences to King Abdulaziz Street and from there to the central zone by bus.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article189808.ece

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #68
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Pilgrims set out for Mina

Published: Nov 14, 2010

MINA: Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims began their slow and steady trek to the tent city of Mina on Saturday night in the first leg of their five-day journey. Almost all pilgrims will be in their tents by Sunday afternoon. They will spend a day in contemplation before moving to the Plains of Arafat Monday in what is described as the most significant ritual of the pilgrimage.

Earlier in the day, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah appointed Second Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Prince Naif to oversee Haj. Prince Naif, who is also chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee, has been in Makkah this last week, supervising security arrangements for the pilgrimage.

Prince Naif's designation came a day after doctors asked the king to rest due to a disc problem.

In Makkah, hundreds of buses and smaller shuttles packed with pilgrims were headed toward Mina. Young and healthy pilgrims, however, decided to walk the distance. Saudi authorities said all arrangements were in place for the world’s largest Muslim gathering.

The logistics required to support the millions of pilgrims are astounding.

Interior Ministry officials told foreign journalists that all preparations for Haj were complete. In addition to the thousands of vehicles, pilgrims will use a train service to travel between the holy sites. The Mashair Railway is expected to reduce congestion on roads leading into and out of Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifah.

Thousands of food outlets have been set up to cater to the faithful. Bakeries are equipped to prepare 10 million loaves of bread a day. The Ministry of Health is geared and waiting to serve the guests of God. It has opened dozens of health centers in the holy sites to aid the faithful who should find Haj easier this year thanks to the moderate weather. Local temperatures varied between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius.

The Civil Defense has also made arrangements in the event of rain and flash floods. “We’ve made special plans based on detailed studies analyzing the possible dangers that could be caused by the geography of Mina, which is surrounded by mountains on all sides,” said Brig. Gen. Fhaid Al-Faidi, head of the Civil Defense in Mina.

Over 100 Civil Defense teams and paramedics are at hand to deal with any eventuality; the teams also have some 200 motorbikes at their disposal.

Al-Faidi called on pilgrims to follow instructions and said the Civil Defense is working closely with Tawafa establishments. “We’re receiving constant weather forecasts about rain. We’ve also got a note of key areas where rain could cause serious issues. There’s also a team of divers at our disposal, along with boats and other flood-related rescue equipment — these are located in the north side of Mina where flooding could be a problem if it rains,” he said.

A special team is in place to monitor the level of pollution in Mina’s 12 tunnels. “The team has advanced equipment to reduce pollution, if the need arises. Tunnels will also be closed if the quality of air is not suitable,” said Al-Faidi.

Among the early arrivals to Mina were old and young pilgrims who felt it was better to start out in advance rather than getting caught up in the general rush on Sunday.

“We came in early because the weather is pleasant, and we came on foot from Makkah,” said Ibrahim Taj, a Sudanese national. “It took us two hours to reach Mina, and we took a lot of breaks,” he said.

Shaukat Piracha of Pakistan's Aaj TV was also among the early arrivals in Mina. “This is fascinating. I am not here to report on the event. I am here in my personal capacity. I decided to come in early to avoid traffic congestion,” he told Arab News. “Mina is not a city of tents; it is a city of lights as well. I have never seen such magnificent illumination. Hats off to Saudis for such meticulous arrangements.”

“I have been waiting for this moment all my life,” said an excited Malaysian citizen, Habib Rasool. “I am overwhelmed by this sea of white tents. I had an idea about what to expect, but then the picture in my mind’s eye was nowhere near what I experienced here today.”

Traffic moved swiftly down the highway from Jeddah. Busloads of pilgrims and trucks packed with sheep drove along the right lanes while police escorting VIPs whizzed by on the left. The four checkpoints on the Jeddah-Makkah Expressway are fully manned but caused no delay. In Mina, traffic congestion is being kept to a minimum by keeping small vehicles away. Only 4x4 vehicles with permits were being allowed in.

If spirituality and peace could ever be personified then it is here — the tent city in Mina surrounded by Jabal Al-Noor (Mountain of Light) and other hills, an abode of millions of pilgrims who are all set to sacrifice their self to the will of God.

At the time of writing this report, the tent city was not yet crowded; however, it was already teeming with life. As each group of pilgrims enters the valley of Mina, it reverberates with chants of “Labbaik Allahumma Labbaik” (O God, here I am answering your call).

Once in the city and in their fireproof tents, the pilgrims busy themselves reciting the Holy Qur’an and performing prayers or trying to locate relatives. Many try to catch some sleep after a tiring journey from Jeddah and Makkah that on average takes five hours.

On Monday morning, the pilgrims will move toward Mount Arafat where the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) delivered his last sermon more than 14 centuries ago. The pilgrims will then return to Mina after spending the night in Muzdalifah. They will throw stones at Jamrat Al-Aqaba representing the devil and sacrifice animals to mark the Eid Al-Adha, which starts Tuesday and will spend the final two days in Mina to take part in the symbolic stoning of the devil.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article189820.ece

وسط أجواء مفعمة بالطمأنينة والخشوع في ظل توافر كافة الخدمات
تصعيد حجاج بيت الله الحرام إلى مشعر منى لقضاء يوم التروية.. اليوم

http://www.alriyadh.com/2010/11/14/article577018.html

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 19th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #69
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Hajj transportation woes eased

http://www.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/7...oogleStatID=22

Words from a pilgrim

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 14th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #70
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

يصعدون غداً الاثنين على جبل عرفات

ملايين الحجاج يتوافدون على مشعر منى لقضاء يوم التروية

with a video: http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/20...14/126078.html

Last edited by Roukaya19; August 14th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #71
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Pilgrim transportation geared like well-oiled machine

Transportation services for disabled and elderly pilgrims
By ARAB NEWS

Published: Nov 14, 2010

MAKKAH: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal, who is also chairman of the Supreme Commission for Monitoring Pilgrim Transportation (SCMPT), commended the efforts of various government departments to serve pilgrims including their safe and comfortable transportation.

In a statement to Saudi Press Agency, Prince Khaled Al-Faisal said all facilities and utilities are of the optimum level.

"Transportation, one of the most vital tasks during the Haj, receives immense attention from the rulers of the Kingdom, and hence efforts have been made to improve infrastructure such as roads, tunnels, bridges on all roads used by pilgrims. The SCMPT has been set up under the chairmanship of the Makkah governor and includes the minister of Haj, minister of transportation, and director of Public Security in order to monitor and supervise the transportation of pilgrims between cities and in the holy sites," the prince said.

"Immense progress has been made during the past years in the sector of pilgrim transportation. A number of companies specializing in the sector with more than 20,000 high-tech buses with the total capacity for 900,000 pilgrims have also been established," the prince said.

An executive committee with undersecretaries of Makkah governorate, Ministry of Haj, Ministry of Transport, director of traffic and secretary-general of the SCMPT has been set up in order to monitor the operations of the transportation of pilgrims on a daily basis during the Haj season.

A technical committee examines the fleet of buses used for the transportation of pilgrims on a periodic basis, he said.

Their inspections cover the safety arrangements in the buses, maintenance, efficiency of drivers and the technicians at the companies, he said.

Annually workshops are conducted to monitor the activities of the Tawafa establishment, Car Syndicate and transporting companies to draw up plans and make necessary arrangements for the transportation of pilgrims, he said.

The prince also stressed the importance of the completion of the third phase of the nonstop chain transportation system benefiting 780,000 pilgrims from Iran, non-Arab African countries, Turkey, Europe, Australia, America and South Asia.

Special arrangements have also been made for quick pilgrim movement in the holy sites, the prince said. There are also round the clock bus services to enable pilgrims stationed in distant districts in Makkah to reach the Grand Mosque.

Studies are also under way to expand the courtyards of the Namirah Mosque, he said.

He also said the new train service will be fully operational next year for the transportation of 500,000 pilgrims at the rate of 72,000 pilgrims an a hour between stations in the holy sites.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article189920.ece

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 17th, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #72
adilali99

Likes (Received): 0

watch live Hajj 2010

I pray to Allah SWT we all shall have a chance to perform Hajj in our life time, Ameen plz make dua for all Muslim to become Haji
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #73
jameslasner

Likes (Received): 0

The Hajj is the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. It is currently the largest
annual pilgrimage in the world, and is the fifth pillar of Islam, a religious duty that
must be carried out at least once in their lifetime by every able-bodied Muslim who can
afford to do so. The Hajj is a demonstration of the solidarity of the Muslim people, and
their submission to God (Allah in the Arabic language).The pilgrimage occurs from the8th
to 12th day of Dhu al-Hijjah, the 12th and last month of the Islamic calendar. Because the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, eleven days shorter than the Gregorian calendar used in the Western world, the Gregorian date of the Hajj changes from year to year. Ihram is the name given to the special state in which Muslims live whilst on the pilgrimage.

Subhan Allah, i pray to Allah SWT we all shall have a chance to perform Hajj in our life
time, Ameen plz make dua for all Muslim to become Haji.
jameslasner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #74
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

More than 300 media personnel participate in broadcasting Hajj

15th November 2010/Arafat, Dhu Al-Hijjah 09, 1431

Hosted by the Ministry of Culture and Information, more than 300 media men and intellectuals from around the world have gathered at the holy sites in Makkah to participate in live broadcasting of the overall process of this year's Hajj rituals. Thirty news media organisations representing satellite TV channels and international news agencies are participating in the live broadcasting of this year's Hajj season around the clock.

The corridors of the information centers in Jeddah, Makkah, Madinah and Masha'r of Arafat and Mina that prepared by the Ministry of Culture and Information, are packed with media men who are competing to cover the movements of the pilgrims among the holy sites and broadcasting the facts of this great and major Islamic occasion.

http://www.hajinformation.com/display_news.php?id=2190

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 15th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #75
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Not so easy for pilgrims...

[/CENTER]

Last edited by Roukaya19; February 21st, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #76
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Pilgrims on Makkah Metro Mashair!

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/20...15/126147.html

MIND THE GAP

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 15th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #77
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Muslims pilgrims gathered on Monday on Mount Arafat

November 15, 2010

Riyadh - Nearly three million Muslims gathered on Monday on Mount Arafat in Saudi Arabia to perform one of the most important rituals of the Hajj pilgrimage.

The pilgrims will fling pebbles at three pillars in a practice known as the stoning of the devil.

Saudi Arabia's Interior Ministry said more than 1.7 million of this year's pilgrims came from outside the Kingdom, travelling by land, sea and air from 181 different countries.

Tight security was in force for the event just outside city of Minna, located east of Mecca, following a fire which broke out earlier in the Hajj, damaging around 30 tents used by pilgrims, but causing no casualties.

Mount Arafat, also known as the Mount of Mercy, is where the Prophet Mohammad is said to have delivered his Farewell Sermon to Muslims who accompanied him for the Hajj 14 centuries ago.

The stoning ritual coincides with the Eid al-Adha, or the feast of sacrifice, which starts on Tuesday for most Muslims around the world, although some Shi'ites will celebrate on Wednesday.

At sunset the majority of pilgrims - on foot, in wheelchairs or by bus -will descend Arafat and head to al-Muzdalifa.

This year, though, a new Chinese-built, $2bn metro line opened connecting Mecca with Minna and al-Muzdalifa, which lie along the route to Mount Arafat.

Seat allocation 'racism'

The 18km rail link was expected to operate at one-third of its normal capacity and has been reserved for Saudi and Gulf nationals, as well as diplomats and other important persons.

Mahmoud Rifai, 32 year-old pilgrim, said the train should have been reserved for the elderly and infirm, while Abu Hassan Hudhayfah, a communications engineer from Sudan, said allocating seats to Gulf nationals was a type of "racism".

The Saudi government said the restrictions were put in place because the light rail was in a pilot phase until next year.

During the Hajj, pilgrims dress in simple white robes, marking ihram, or ritual purity. Hajj, the fifth pillar of Islam, should be carried out at least once in a lifetime, if the person can afford it.

Other practices of the Hajj include reciting prayers while walking counter-clockwise seven times around the cube-shaped structure of the Kaaba, towards which Muslims face to pray, in Mecca.

The Hajj also includes walking back and forth between the hills of al-Safa and al-Marwa and drinking from the blessed Zamzam Well in Mecca.

Saudi authorities said more than 15 million litres of Zamzam water were distributed to pilgrims this year.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/Mec...-Hajj-20101115

Last edited by Roukaya19; November 15th, 2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #78
GulfArabia
★ FREE

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post
Not so easy for pilgrims...

lol this channel is doing it on purpose,,
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #79
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Civil Defense braced for Jamrat crowd control

Published: Nov 16, 2010

MAKKAH: The Civil Defense has prepared a time-bound plan aimed at crowd control at Jamrat Bridge while the pilgrims start performing the stoning ritual from Tuesday morning.

A new feature of the plan, copies of which have been distributed among various Tawafa organizations, is that pilgrims arriving at Jamrat by the Mashair train will be regrouped to perform the stoning ritual at all levels of the complex. The plan also focused on avoiding overcrowding of pilgrims at the entrances and exits of the multi-level bridge complex during peak hours, according to Brig. Gen. Zuhair Seibiyah, commander of Civil Defense at Jamrat. He said that more than 1,300 officials will implement the plan, under which pilgrims will be allowed to perform stoning between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. over the remaining four days of the pilgrimage.

“All the arrangements are in place to prevent overcrowding of pilgrims on the ground and first floor of the bridge and disburse them to perform the ritual at all the five levels of the bridge,” he said.

Seibiyah also said the Civil Defense has made special arrangements to receive pilgrims using the Mashair train on the fourth floor of the bridge.

“Then, escalators will be used to take them to other floors as part of measures to avoid congestion and stampedes. With completion of all the five levels, the massive bridge structure has the capacity to handle 400,000 pilgrims per hour,” he said. “It has also virtually multiplied the capabilities of the Civil Defense units to quick intervention in the event of emergency situations."

The Civil Defense commander said the force has doubled its monitoring points from 51 to 102 at the Jamrat facility. Members of the forces at these points will be engaged in overseeing pilgrims’ movements and would rush to help those pilgrims suffering from exhaustion and fatigue.

“They will take such pilgrims to the health centers that have been set up at all levels of the bridge. The members will also undertake emergency medical evacuation. They will be on alert to cope with any emergency situations, such as stampede,” he said while noting that the state-of-the-art facilities at the bridge, including escalators and helipad, have made the mission of his forces much easier in the event of medical evacuation of those injured or affected with serious illness.

Seibiyah urged the Tawafa organizations to strictly enforce the force’s plan for crowd control as well as to ensure performing the ritual only at the time designated for pilgrims under each organization. “The Tawafa organizations should also adhere into the directives of the force to avoid chances of stampede, prevent camping of pilgrims on the bridge or carry baggage together with them," he said.

Seibiyah said that Jamrat Civil Defense force have set up closed circuit TVs and cameras at all the entrances and exits of the bridge to closely monitor the movement of pilgrims entering and leaving the facility after performing the ritual.

“We conducted intensive training programs and workshops for the members of the force well before the beginning of the Haj season. These programs were aimed at enabling the forces to carry out their mission effectively and tackle any emergency situations,” he said.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article192148.ece

Helipad
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #80
womfalcs3

Likes (Received): 68

Hajj 2010 - The Big Picture

A general view shows the Saudi holy city of Mecca, as seen from the top of Noor mountain, late on November 13, 2010.

Saudi special forces take part in a military parade, preparing for the Hajj in Mecca on November 10, 2010.

Muslim pilgrims are seen on their way towards a rocky hill called Mount Arafat, on the Plain of Arafat near Mecca, Saudi Arabia on Monday, Nov. 15, 2010.

Thousands of tents housing Muslim pilgrims are crowded together in Mina near Mecca, Saudi Arabia, Sunday, Nov. 14, 2010.

Muslim pilgrims stand on top of Noor mountain where the Hiraa cave is located overlooking Mecca late on November 13, 2010.

Muslim pilgrims circle the Kaaba at the center of the Grand mosque in Mecca during the annual Hajj pilgrimage November 11, 2010.

n shadows and sunlight, thousands of Muslim pilgrims pray inside the Grand Mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia on Friday, Nov. 12, 2010.

The Grand Mosque and the four-faced clock, atop the Abraj Al-Bait Towers are seen from the top of al-Noor mountain in Mecca, Saudi Arabia on Nov. 11, 2010.

Visit the www.Boston.com website for more pics.
womfalcs3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote