daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #81
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 269

All silent from Danny Alexander, champion of the Highlanders, all of a sudden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness Courier
Transport minister to be pressed on by-pass
Published: 06 August, 2010

SCOTTISH transport minister Stewart Stevenson will come under renewed pressure to back completion of the Inverness by-pass at a meeting later this month.
advertising

He is due to meet local authority representatives in the week beginning 16th August and is set to be shown a new City Vision which stresses the importance of extending the existing southern distributor road over the River Ness and Caledonian Canal.

"There are still about 2000 houses to be built on the southern side of Inverness and we really have to promote these neighbourhoods as an important part of Inverness, making sure that we are integrating them," said Malcolm Macleod, Highland Council's development plans manager.

"That's why the river and canal crossing is a really important part of our overall strategy and vision for the city."

The City Vision report - which is expected to be approved by councillors next week - also calls for the city centre to remain the hub of the Highland Capital, despite on-going expansion to the east. To help achieve this, it proposes the expansion of Streetscape works into areas such as Academy Street and Huntly Street and recommends that attempts are made to bring vacant properties back into use.

"When future funding streams come, we have got to be in a place as a city to say this is really important, here are the opportunities," Mr Macleod added.

The Inverness Courier is campaigning for completion of the by-pass, connecting the A9 and A82, which residents, politicians and business leaders agree is key to the city's future development.

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #82
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

New Gaelic Hub at Slacbuie

Quote:
Blueprint for city Gaelic 'hub' close to completion
By Helen Paterson
Published: 27 August, 2010

PLANS for a Gaelic business and cultural centre in Inverness are advancing, with a formal planning application due to be submitted by the end of the year.
advertising

Architects are working on detailed plans for the building, which will be located in an empty field beside the city's only Gaelic primary school at Culduthel, and will bring all the Gaelic organisations under one roof, provide a pre-school facility and cultural centre.

Roy Pederson, chairman of the project's steering group, explained the idea emerged from discussions held by a group hoping to establish Gaelic childcare for children up to the age of three at Bun-sgoil Ghàidhlig Inbhir Nis. At present, the school, which opened two years ago, caters for children from the age of three upwards.

However, the demand for Gaelic medium education is growing and. over the summer holidays, two extra classrooms were added. The school roll this year stands at 137 pupils - 11 more than last year - and the nursery roll stands at 60.

"At the rate of growth, it is going to be full again soon in the next two or so years," Mr Pederson said.

Under the plans, pre-school education will be taken out of the primary school, although remain strongly linked, and transferred to the new hub, thus freeing up space in the school.

The various Gaelic organisations in Inverness, which have also been involved in the project's development, will be brought under one roof.

"The organisations in Inverness are scattered all over the place, some in rather inadequate accommodation," Mr Pederson said.

This would be a more cost-effective way of housing the organisations, enabling them to better communicate with each other, he added.

"The good news on that is that all the Gaelic organisations in the town are supportive and most of them are interested in relocating to the new building."

This would include the Scottish Government quango Bòrd na Gàidhlig, based at Stoneyfield Business Park, the Gaelic development charity Comunn na Gàidhlig, on Mitchell Lane, Fèisean nan Gàidheal, which supports the Gaelic arts, and Cli Gaidhlig, the voice of Gaelice learners, both on Academy Street, and An Comunn Gàidhealach, currently based on Church Street. Organisations will share common facilities like a reception and boardroom.

The site of the proposed Gaelic hub at Culduthel. Bobby Nelson

The third element is a cultural centre, a space for the Gaelic community to use. This could incorporate a small cafe and shop, selling, for example, Gaelic music.

"It will primarily be a place for the community to meet and Gaelic-related events, exhibitions and the likes," said Mr Pederson, who is also a ward councillor for Inverness South.

"There is also a fourth dimension to this. It is putting Inverness on the map as regards Gaelic culture."

Mr Pederson also think there could be a tourism spin-off.

Consultants have already carried out a feasibility study, paid for by Bòrd na Gàidhlig, and a planning application is due to be submitted before the end of the year.

Work is also on-going to prepare a funding package for the project.

"There are challenges, but we are hopeful will be able to pull a viable funding package together," Mr Pederson said.

The Gaelic-hub will comprise a small part of the site, while the remainder of the field will be turned into a public park.

Old September 4th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #83
Chris99

Likes (Received): 319

Study starts on A96 improvements

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-11095972
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #84
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Consent has been given by Councillors for the new £500 million town at Stratton in Inverness with some crappy, vague artists impressions. Not much word on Tornagrain (the other new town).

Old September 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #85
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 283

I disagree with Tornagrain anyway. They should be concentrating on Inverness and improving the town itself. Instead, councillors seem to be intent on pushing development out towards Nairn (Beechwood, Inverness Retail Park, Tornagrain) which IMO will only further dilapidate Inverness town centre, which is already struggling badly.

They should think about using the Harbour area as a first off, get some of that huge expanse of Brownfield land used up. Massive improvements are needed in South Kessock and Merkinch too, both of those areas are beginning to look like big time shit.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #86
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTaco View Post
I disagree with Tornagrain anyway. They should be concentrating on Inverness and improving the town itself. Instead, councillors seem to be intent on pushing development out towards Nairn (Beechwood, Inverness Retail Park, Tornagrain) which IMO will only further dilapidate Inverness town centre, which is already struggling badly.

They should think about using the Harbour area as a first off, get some of that huge expanse of Brownfield land used up. Massive improvements are needed in South Kessock and Merkinch too, both of those areas are beginning to look like big time shit.
This is it! Merkinch and South Kessock have one of the best views in Inverness, looking across to Ben Wyvis, Glas Leathad Mòr and Beinn a Bh'ach Ard - the potential for the Kessock area is quite huge. I agree completely about the city centre, why on earth are they so obsessed with developing East? I've always found much of that area woefully uninspiring in terms of scenery and it's just not going to work with regards to keeping central Inverness central. Essich, Lochardil, Leachkin, Dochgarroch, West Dores, Delmore, Muirtown, Torvean, are all these areas non-existent? What's more is that they plan on using the reclaimed land to make a forest park - what the actual ****? Instead of using fertile land which was once naturally forest, they're instead using the only part of Inverness which should definitely be built-up residential.

Old October 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #87
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
PLANS for another major new Inverness development — including a business park, tourist information centre, hotel and lorry park — have been unveiled for the outskirts of the city.
advertising

Inverness Estates wants to transform a site at Milton of Leys for the project dubbed “Inverness Gateway”.

The development is earmarked for land owned by Inverness Estates above the new link road from Wester Inshes to Milton of Leys, near the site of Scotland’s Housing Expo.

It is zoned in the Inverness Local Plan for special uses and planning permission in the past has been granted for the development of film studios, a media centre, hotel and visitor facilities.

News of the project comes less than a month after the same group won planning approval to create a new community at Stratton Farm including 2500 new homes, a superstore, shops, cafes and restaurants, schools and leisure facilities.

Proposals for this new scheme, which also includes housing, will be exhibited to the public at Inshes Church on 22nd November but already some councillors are predicting a backlash.

“The last thing we need is another business park,” said Inverness South councillor Jim Crawford, who said the latest scheme had come as a surprise.

“What we need is facilities for the people of Milton of Leys.”

But Inverness Estates, which comprises David Sutherland, of Tulloch Homes, David Cameron, of Aviemore based Upland Developments, Peter Mackintosh of Nairn-based Narden Services and Aberdeen developer Mark Shaw of the Hazeldene Group, yesterday defended the proposals claiming the main emphasis would be on providing facilities for tourists.

“The Highland Gateway concept is to let everyone coming to Inverness know what’s available in the city,” explained a spokesman for the group.

“Tourism information and tourism retail will be on offer and there will be a hotel.

“This is a masterplan application so once the principle is agreed, we can go through public consultation and work with council officials to prepare a more detailed project.”

However, Councillor Crawford questioned the plans.

“Where do they think Inverness is going?” he said. “They have just got planning permission for Stratton with homes, superstore, shops and restaurants and now they want to do the same thing at Milton of Leys.

“People can only spend money once, not half-a-dozen times.”

Ward colleague, Councillor John Holden, said the council needed to protect the A9 gateway to Inverness and its spectacular view of the city from development.

He also supported Councillor Crawford, saying: “The people of Milton of Leys do not even have a shop. The developer in question should first provide facilities they promised for Milton of Leys before looking elsewhere.”

The Inverness Estates spokesman said one element being considered was a transport park with filling station to meet concerns about the lack of overnight facilities for heavy goods lorries in Inverness.

“We look forward to staging an exhibition to allow people in the area to view the outline scheme and come up with their own suggestions,” he added.

Inverness South Community Council received pre-notification of the consortium’s plans earlier this week.

Councillor Thomas Prag, who also represents the south ward, said tourist facilities for the site had been talked about before.

“It is an area that is identified in the local plan for special uses for tourism and the same area was once proposed for a film-related visitor centre and studio,” he said.

“It will be interesting to see what the developers have in mind to add to the huge residential area that has already been developed.”
This is worrying - anything that David Sutherland of Tulloch Homes touches normally turns to shit, so goodbye to Stratton, Balvonie and Milton, you'll soon be rank

Old October 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #88
RapidTaco

What a bunch of idiots, they really are completely clueless in Inverness. Why on earth would you build yet another ******* retail park on the outskirts of town when the town centre is a derilict shambles! It infuriates me the way they think they can keep building more and more "business parks" on greenfield sites which will do nothing to regenerate the town itself and will only exacerbate the drift of workers out of Inverness centre. How about building some "business" at the harbour or the site of the old swimming baths. How about encouraging firms to move into the numerous empty buildings in Union Street, Church Street, Academy Street and Queensgate?!

Aaargh!
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #89
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
What a bunch of idiots, they really are completely clueless in Inverness. Why on earth would you build yet another ******* retail park on the outskirts of town when the town centre is a derilict shambles! It infuriates me the way they think they can keep building more and more "business parks" on greenfield sites which will do nothing to regenerate the town itself and will only exacerbate the drift of workers out of Inverness centre. How about building some "business" at the harbour or the site of the old swimming baths. How about encouraging firms to move into the numerous empty buildings in Union Street, Church Street, Academy Street and Queensgate?!

Aaargh!
Absolutely true. The potential for a high quality business development near the river is unreal, there are several sites just dying to be used! I'm all for developing South of the city as opposed to East (I'd far rather see West and North being used for high quality developmens so as to keep the city somewhat circular in shape and thus keep the centre central) - but David Sutherland is a gigantic ******* ****.

Do they really think that keeping a city centre the same as it was for 25,000 for the 100,000+ people living in Inverness come two decades time is wise? By all means, keep the old town and let it flourish (i.e, stop obsessing over retail parks and shopping centres), indeed encourage some more traditional architecture to replace the 1960s nightmares - but for Christ's sake remove height restrictions in controlled areas and let's see Inverness "city" actually become a city!

Old December 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #90
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Inverness' Curfew beginning to feel the strain

Quote:
Club curfew opposition on the increase
By Hugh Ross
Published: 28 December, 2010

THE campaign to end Inverness's midnight curfew for entry into pubs and clubs plans to step up a gear next month ahead of a crucial decision by the licensing board.

The two men behind the drive to have the restriction lifted are now organising music and comedy events in Rose Street night club Cake to add to their petition and Facebook site.
advertising

Graeme Mackay (22) and friend DJ Ashley Payne (23) say more than 1400 people have now signed their internet petition and another 2328 pledged their support on a dedicated Facebook page.

Both the petition and Facebook comments will be sent to Highland Council with its licensing board set to meet on 8th February to discuss the issue.

Under long-standing licensing rules in Inverness, revellers are not admitted to the city's nightspots after midnight but the campaign believes the rule encourages club and pub goers to drink more alcohol and restricts visitors from having a good night out.

The restriction also exists in Thurso and Aviemore but Aberdeen voted in April to scrap its 2am curfew.

Mr Mackay and Mr Payne claim the Inverness curfew, which was introduced in the mid 1990s, is outdated and restrictive for both residents and visitors to Inverness.

Inverness Central Councillor Peter Corbett, chairman of the Highland Licensing Board, said he recognised the strength of feeling amongst younger people about the curfew and changes could be on the cards following the current review of the rule.

But stressed it could only be lifted if it is backed by all sections of the community.

"We understand young peoples' views and are aware of the campaign but as the licensing board we have to take everybody into consideration, the community, licensees and the police," he said.

Publicans had asked for the curfew time to be assessed by the board.

"We are in the process of doing that with the consultation. Some of the licensees have not wanted the curfew since day one but it has worked in the city centre in a lot of ways and keeping things controllable. But at the same time there could be some relaxation."

He stressed if there were any changes, they would be for a trial period, and then reviewed.

Mr Mackay, lives in Glasgow and works in event management but returned to the family home on Innes Street for the Christmas weekend. He has been taken aback by the support the campaign had attracted.

"We are determined to get rid of the curfew for good," he said. "It is universally hated by everybody who goes out in Inverness.

"It is quite an old rule and they say it is due to safety and policing. But people are coming out of places at 3am in one fell swoop heading to taxi ranks. If we didn't have a curfew we would have a steady flow of people."

He said at the moment people have no choice, restricted to staying at the same place and bars that stay open until 3am have "an easy ride of it".

Old December 29th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #91
RapidTaco

Indeed. Totally outdated rules and makes Inverness appear like a remote backwater. I had friends up in November for a birthday party and they couldn't believe you had to be in a club by midnight or go home as everywhere else is closed. they also couldn't believe you had to wear "shoes" and not any other type of footwear to get into some of the clubs. What a joke.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #92
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

It's probably the closest it's ever been to falling, hopefully it works this time.

Foxes, Love (BOKE), Bakoo (LOL), Smith & Jones (NED) support it apparently, Hoots and Cake do not.

Old December 30th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #93
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Thought this might interest you Rapid, just goes to show how much the Highland home has grown! Photo taken from Craig Phadraig / Leachkin

image hosted on flickr

Old December 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #94
RapidTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
It's probably the closest it's ever been to falling, hopefully it works this time.

Foxes, Love (BOKE), Bakoo (LOL), Smith & Jones (NED) support it apparently, Hoots and Cake do not.
No surprises that they support it, as it keeps their punters in the venue. It also allows the door staff to sit cosily inside until chucking out time.

However, it should be about the paying local people of Inverness and the paying visitors. Those places you mention above think they bloody own the place. Hoots the exception as I think they do cater for many tastes, including the visiting tourist.

Pic looks good. I'm from Scorguie so quite used to seeing that view. I reckon we're going to see a much slower pace of growth from now on and that's not a bad thing IMO. For the most part, Inverness has just expanded with low-rise suburban sprawl compliments of Tulloch Homes. Yawn! Being home at Christmas reminds me that as much as I like being home, there is still little to do or see and its still the same faces in the same bars. Inverness may be bigger than it was 20 years ago but it is still very small.
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #95
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
No surprises that they support it, as it keeps their punters in the venue. It also allows the door staff to sit cosily inside until chucking out time.

However, it should be about the paying local people of Inverness and the paying visitors. Those places you mention above think they bloody own the place. Hoots the exception as I think they do cater for many tastes, including the visiting tourist.

Pic looks good. I'm from Scorguie so quite used to seeing that view. I reckon we're going to see a much slower pace of growth from now on and that's not a bad thing IMO. For the most part, Inverness has just expanded with low-rise suburban sprawl compliments of Tulloch Homes. Yawn! Being home at Christmas reminds me that as much as I like being home, there is still little to do or see and its still the same faces in the same bars. Inverness may be bigger than it was 20 years ago but it is still very small.
Quite right, but I'm not certain growth will be slow from now on, the construction industry is still doing relatively well and as soon as the economy picks up, the boom will probably continue. It's only a matter of time before the constraints begin to collapse (i.e curfew, draconian height restrictions et al), so I'm still pretty positive about Inverness' future.

Old January 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #96
RapidTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLimitation View Post
Quite right, but I'm not certain growth will be slow from now on, the construction industry is still doing relatively well and as soon as the economy picks up, the boom will probably continue. It's only a matter of time before the constraints begin to collapse (i.e curfew, draconian height restrictions et al), so I'm still pretty positive about Inverness' future.
As far as the Inverness future is concerned, it will be right up there with the rest of Scotland, no doubt about that.

However, the construction industry in Inverness is not doing well in the slightest. I currently have an uncle and 2 cousins who are fairly recently out of work and heard first hand when I was home at Christmas just how badly the Inverness builders are doing at the moment. No-one is recruiting and hundreds have lost their jobs. These guys had great wages in the boom times but they don't see many of these jobs returning to Inverness any time soon. Both of my cousins are now looking to relocate to Glasgow (my uncle is "in with the furniture" in Inverness as he puts it) and are hoping to get in on some of the Commonwealth Games / Clyde Gateway stuff. Who knows?

IMO the development in Inverness will continue but there is no chance of it continuing the way it did in the last 10 years. The boom years are over. Much fewer people are moving to Inverness because there are much fewer jobs - where are they going to work? I've a friend in Burghead who was made redundant from Highland Council and she cannot find any jobs in Inverness, not even any basic Admin jobs which are worth a jot. She's now thinking of moving to Inverurie as her hubby works in the Oil in Aberdeen.

Anyhoo, the curfew is a bloody joke and Inverness deserves better!!
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #97
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
As far as the Inverness future is concerned, it will be right up there with the rest of Scotland, no doubt about that.

However, the construction industry in Inverness is not doing well in the slightest. I currently have an uncle and 2 cousins who are fairly recently out of work and heard first hand when I was home at Christmas just how badly the Inverness builders are doing at the moment. No-one is recruiting and hundreds have lost their jobs. These guys had great wages in the boom times but they don't see many of these jobs returning to Inverness any time soon. Both of my cousins are now looking to relocate to Glasgow (my uncle is "in with the furniture" in Inverness as he puts it) and are hoping to get in on some of the Commonwealth Games / Clyde Gateway stuff. Who knows?

IMO the development in Inverness will continue but there is no chance of it continuing the way it did in the last 10 years. The boom years are over. Much fewer people are moving to Inverness because there are much fewer jobs - where are they going to work? I've a friend in Burghead who was made redundant from Highland Council and she cannot find any jobs in Inverness, not even any basic Admin jobs which are worth a jot. She's now thinking of moving to Inverurie as her hubby works in the Oil in Aberdeen.

Anyhoo, the curfew is a bloody joke and Inverness deserves better!!
Sorry to hear that about your family mate - I meant relatively, there's been a lot of reduncancies but this is the case everywhere in Scotland, the construction industry has started to slowly move again, but only with something of a whimper admitidly. It's just a case of waiting until the economy picks up - the construction of the university and the new link road will really help too.

Old January 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #98
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

If everyone could sign this petition to abolish the Inverness curfew, that would be fantastic. The curfew will come under review on January the 10th and it's essential that the campaign is successful. Inverness is (I believe) the only Scottish city to have such draconian measures forced upon its night life and it's really holding it back, so please just take a couple of minutes to sign.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?INVCURFW

Old January 8th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #99
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1186

No.
alonzo-ny está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #100
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
No.
Sorry Alonzo, I should have said exclusively those who have had a shag before in their life