daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM   #301
WooWoo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafamlopes View Post
The 1st tier is so shallow..from inside it looks like that indian stadium. Oh wait, from outside they both look alike too.
do you mean the Nehru stadium? the one that hosted the commonwealth games?
WooWoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM   #302
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Do we have a definitive answer on whether the stadium will be wrapped or
not yet?

AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM   #303
RobH

Likes (Received): 1920

No definitive answer no.

If it is to be wrapped it'll come from a sponsor or LOCOG's budget rather than from the ODA's budget though.

Last we heard was Seb Coe saying "watch this space" whilst adding the caveat that IOC Olympic venue rules (no advertising) make the job of finding private funds trickier than would otherwise be the case.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #304
AdidasGazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
No definitive answer no.

If it is to be wrapped it'll come from a sponsor or LOCOG's budget rather than from the ODA's budget though.

Last we heard was Seb Coe saying "watch this space" whilst adding the caveat that IOC Olympic venue rules (no advertising) make the job of finding private funds trickier than would otherwise be the case.
Thanks.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #305
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

What construction progress has been made on the hockey stadiums?
aaronaugi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #306
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 1042

Sportsmail's Magnificent 7 access all areas at the 2012 Olympic Village: our golden hopefuls for in seventh heaven at the venue of their dreams

-- Link to Daily Mail article --

Like any sightseer, he had his camera out. A Colgate smile lit up his face. 'Nice,' he purred slowly. 'It's pretty cool.' That was Tom Daley's reaction as he entered the aquatics centre being fashioned for the Games of the XXX Olympiad. No matter that the interior was a maze of scaffolding underneath the iconic shark-style roof. There, simply, were the diving boards he wants to own.

Daley, a favourite for gold in 2012, was ushered up the wooden ladders and through the yellow doors to pose for my colleague Andy Hooper's wonderful photograph (below). A headstand for the artist's lens? 'Don't give him ideas,' said Daley with mock concern, posing instead on his feet with his arms outstretched. A crane was poised to his right, just where the water of the diving pool will wait for him, mirror-like, at his moment of truth.

This was the highlight of our privileged peak behind the diggers and cement-mixers at the Olympic site in East London. We were there to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the Magnificent 7, the talented group of young athletes whose progress this newspaper is following up to 2012, and to bring a sense of the smell and feel of it all to our readers.

'A lot is made of the outside of this building,' said Daley, a 16-year-old Plymouth A-Level student and recently-crowned double Commonwealth champion, of the edifice designed by British-Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid, 'but the whole centre is amazing.'

He was thinking mostly of the boards themselves. They are unlike anything anyone has seen before: modern sculpture produced, so I am reliably informed, by high-tech self-compacting concrete poured into glass-fibre reinforced moulds with a core of steel bars. 'They look like waves coming out of the floor,' added Daley. 'Seeing this today gives me the motivation to do the work I need to come back here and get a medal. But diving is an on-the-day sport.'

This was a chilly December morning but still the ripples of anticipation were palpable even to us non-competitors as we snaked our way by bus around a plot now employing its peak manpower of 1,000 workers. Much is already built - most of the grey and white seats, for example, are fitted inside the Olympic Stadium - but a great deal remains to be done. That is a reflection of the size of the project rather than a hint that any construction deadline will be missed.

A long dive away from Daley's balanced pose, we inspected the blue and white tiling in the swimming pool. We stood at the bottom of it, three metres down. Above us the ceiling timber of hardwood slats were barrel-gun straight to direct the backstrokers. 'Brilliant,' said Louise Watkin, the 18-year-old Paralympic silver medallist as she inspected the centre.

'I remember when London was awarded the Games in 2005 and I thought we don't need to worry about that for a while. It feels like yesterday. Now I know the Games will be here faster than we realise.' And when they are over, the pools will regularly be divided into smaller areas by booms that rise from the floor. The depth, too, can be altered.

Over at the velodrome, the steep track of Siberian pine - 43 degrees at the ends, reducing to 12deg at the sides - was hidden under wraps. The smell of the blue paint on the infield hung in the air. The challenge of designing the fastest track drew Ron Webb, an ace Australian designer, out of retirement. Geometry that allows maximum speed to be taken out of the turns and a high internal temperature are crucial. So is workmanship to the nearest two millimetres.

Shanaze Reade, the BMX world champion and a hot tip for gold in London, spent her last visit here posing on the undulating roof for one of our previous photo-shoots. 'The velodrome has come on so much since then and it was only six months back,' said the 22-year-old from Crewe. 'I want to compete on the track at London, as well as the BMX. The track comes first in the timetable, which is great because it gives me a good run through to the BMX event a week and a half later.

'If I can go to London and create a bit of history by winning two golds then that will be amazing. If I get a silver or a bronze and I've given my best then that's all I can do.'

The stadium is, of course, the heart of the whole carnival. It's an understated design and you feel it needs the participants to paint their magic on its canvas to bring it to life. One hoping to be there is Emily Pidgeon, a 21-year-old Loughborough University psychology student, who is splitting the final year of her degree course in two to help towards selection at 5,000 metres. She missed out on qualification for the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in October by seven seconds. Her Lottery funding was stopped the following month.

Despite it all, she is confident. 'It's going well with my new coach Andy Hobdell and I've set PBs throughout the year,' said the former European junior champion. 'I am injury-free and I am on target to make it.'

On to the media centre. It's still a shell of a building but will be buzzing with 20,000 journalists when the Games arrive. Around a table, I conducted the first interview there, with Louis Smith, Olympic bronze medal gymnast from the Beijing Olympics. He was moments away from catching a flight to Los Angeles for an adidas shoot alongside David Beckham. It was a heady assignment for a burgeoning 21-year-old who, it is said, not so long ago cast his eyes to his feet rather than meet your eyes in conversation.

Away from London, the two other members of our Magnificent Seven toiled at their dream. British Open judo champion Gemma Howell was winning a World Cup silver medal in Korea. Finn sailor Giles Scott was adding to his host of sailing medals in Australia at the end of a wonderful, breakthrough year.

What an experience the grand tour of Stratford was. And at the end of it Lord Coe, chairman of the Organising Committee, spoke of what awaits our starlets. 'In a couple of weeks, the Games will be next year and then it will be writ large,' he said. 'Before they know it, it will be January 2012 and then they will think in a completely different way. It will be an Olympic year. We are getting closer and closer.'

Old December 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #307
AdidasGazelle

Thanks for posting that PortoNuts

Shanaze Reade is local to me and I just hope she can do herself justice this time at the Olympics and not fall off her bike!

Old December 24th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #308
Stunnersight
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Why wear leggings if your gonna hide your cameltoes
Stunnersight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #309
PortoNuts

Old December 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #310
RobH

London 2012 Olympic Games organisers will have just six weeks to fully construct and make secure the 15,000 seat Horse Guards Parade venue for beach volleyball as construction and installation can't start until after the Trooping The Colour

The frenzy of work essentially constructing a gigantic sand pit will be concentrated during the day - as nearby neighbours including the official residence of the Prime Minister in Downing Street won't want to be disturbed.

But preparations for that site in the heart of London and the controversial Greenwich Park site for equestrian have already begun.

Underneath both the 20,000 tonnes of sand at the beach volleyball and the massive showjumping and dressage arena will be huge metal decks, currently being manufactured in Preston.

The decks are to ensure a flat surface, particularly important at the 20,000 seat Greenwich arena which has a significant fall line of about three metres.

''To construct a 15,000 seat venue usually involves a year to 18 months planning and to construct it normally takes a year to 18 months but for these Olympic venues the preparation is the same, but the construction is much, much quicker,'' said Drivers Jonas Deloitte project team manager Stephen Jepson.

''Horse Guards is six weeks to get on site after the Trooping the Colour is complete and Greenwich Park is a bit more time, but the aim is to make sure we take as little of the park for as small a time as public so the stadium goes up and then the site is expanded out.''

Jepson said constructing the venues with seating and toilets and other paraphenalia is business as usual, but it is the field of play at both venues that adds to the complexity.

The metal deck underneath the equestrian arena has been tested by both showjumpers and dressage riders at Berkshire and found to be acceptable, alleviating earlier concerns it may reverberate and scare the horses with any unusual sensation or noise. When installed the metal decking will be covered with layers of synthetic mix of track.

''The spring and bounce has to be exactly like it is on the ground,'' Jepson said.

The same project team will also construct the temporary venues at the Mall for the start and finish of the marathon and road cycling and Hyde Park for the triathlon finish and marathon swimming events.

Link
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:02 PM   #311
netinhogga
José Neto

Likes (Received): 495

New Maracanã

netinhogga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:03 PM   #312
netinhogga
José Neto

Likes (Received): 495

Rio 2016

netinhogga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM   #313
RobH

Wrong thread mate
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM   #314
PortoNuts

Six weeks is truly a run against time but it will be a cool venue.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM   #315
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 146

Hope we can expect something like this or better in 2012!!

L O N D O N 2 0 1 2 O L Y M P I C G A M E S

Inspire A Generation
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM   #316
RobH

I agree. I thought this year's fireworks were very, very good.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #317
PortoNuts

Advertisement on the Tube.

image hosted on flickr
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #318
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Last edited by guy4versa4; January 3rd, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #319
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Advertisement on the Tube.

image hosted on flickr
Though I posted that photo in the other thread, it's not mine. But there are a lot of posters like this on the Tube at the moment using different pictograms and they really do look good.

I don't know if there are any more photos of these adverts around the net.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #320
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
how they 'll burn it from the stadium at opening?!

Tags
britain, london, london 2012, olympics