daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Klas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Your city's worst district(s) / area(s) ?

what are the most worst district(s) eg. area(s) in your hometown ? have anyone photos ,so post some of this areas please !

in my hometown Berlin there are a few most bad areas: in westside Berlin there are parts of Wedding , Tiergarten , Kreuzberg , Neukölln and Reinickendorf ! in the eastpart of Berlin the worst districts are Friedrichsfelde , Marzahn , Altglienicke south , parts of Hellersdorf and Hohenschönhausen , mmh , i think the most bad part of Berlin is north - Nekölln especially The " Rollberge - Village " sorry i can"t find any pictures can you find some so please post .

I hope this thread will become a loong thread
Klas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #2
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6098

Without doubt it would have to be Hackney, North London. Statistically, the level of gun crime is worse than Soweto in South Africa!
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #3
eklips

Likes (Received): 1207

I'd say in Paris itself, the worst part must be Barbes.

In the metro, maybe the "cité des 4000" in la courneuve

Le val fourré in Mantes la Jolie

or les tarterets in Corbeil-essonne

eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #4
zazo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

The worst area of Madrid I think is Aluche, Vallecas, Carabanchel, the south Madrid..
and the worst area of Toledo is of course Santa Bárbara, horrible.......
zazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Jules

Likes (Received): 4

Englewood or Washington Park most likely.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #6
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 11

Toronto - Regent Park

"Regent Park holds the distinction of being Canada's first and largest public housing project. It is one of Old Toronto's / Toronto's worst slums. Also may qualify as being one of the worst slums in North America."

It is now in the process of being redeveloped.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:03 AM   #7
I*LOVE*NY
I*LOVE*NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
Without doubt it would have to be Hackney, North London. Statistically, the level of gun crime is worse than Soweto in South Africa!
buaahahaha
I*LOVE*NY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:19 AM   #8
BermudaTriangle
BANNED

Tokyo is generally very safe. There used to be many Yakuzas in Kabukicho and considered dangerous but it isn't the case any more. The metropolitan government got rid of them all. You don't need to set the alarms for the cars and don't need to lock the doors or windows when you are present in the house. The dangerous part of Japan is Osaka. You can easily get shot there. The police themselves are often related to Yakuza internally, too. They are corrupted and a shameful part of the country.

Last edited by BermudaTriangle; January 21st, 2006 at 01:33 AM.
BermudaTriangle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:27 AM   #9
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 1

Yakuza are the gang members with half a finger missing, right?

Why is Osaka dangerous and other cities are not?
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:29 AM   #10
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscani01
Toronto - Regent Park

"Regent Park holds the distinction of being Canada's first and largest public housing project. It is one of Old Toronto's / Toronto's worst slums. Also may qualify as being one of the worst slums in North America."

It is now in the process of being redeveloped.
Have you ever driven the Cross-Bronx Expressway through the Bronx? You do not want to break down or get a flat on that highway. If you do, I'd just keep driving on my tire rim until I got to Queens or New Jersey.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:37 AM   #11
PhillyPhilly90

I know...that slum in Toronto doesn't look as worse as the Bronx...anyways in Philadelphia...north Philly is the worst but there are other slums in Philly.
PhillyPhilly90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:44 AM   #12
philadweller

Likes (Received): 4

The Southwest by the airport is not so enticing for Philly. The worst is probably just across the river in Camden NJ. Kensington has a bad rap but it really isnt scary during the day. I've walked Kensington and Allegheny unscathed under the El on numerous occasions. As a Center Ciy landlord I find good bargains there especially for appliances.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM   #13
BermudaTriangle
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
Yakuza are the gang members with half a finger missing, right?

Why is Osaka dangerous and other cities are not?
Well partly because there are many slums, homelesses and refugees in Osaka. Osaka is supposed to be a very traditional city and the people are very right-wing and exclusive. Their customs are to keep the family value and relationships. If you cheat, the wives stalk you around to revenge and kill you. They are very old-fashioned. Not only in Osaka, but the entire west Japan is more or less similar to that. The West Japanese are taking the blood from Korea (their ancesters) and there are many Koreans in Osaka and Kansai. 1 in 10 people in Kansai are the Koreans.

Last edited by BermudaTriangle; January 21st, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
BermudaTriangle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM   #14
Boris550
NIMBY Eater

Likes (Received): 6

Calgary

#1: East Village
To put it simply, this is as close as Calgary gets to having a red light district. Prostitutes are everwhere, drugs are everywhere, homeless people are everywhere. Calgary's drop-in centre is right on the edge of this area which is just east of the downtown core. The city has drawn up several plans over the years for redevelopment but progress has been slow and there have been many obstacles. Right now the city has been making steady progress on the implementation of a TIF for the area.

#2: Victoria Park
Run down area just across the CPR tracks to the south of the East Village. Most of it has been demolished in the last few years though. A lot of land is being bought up for the coming Stampede Grounds expansion. There are also high-end condo projects such as Arriva (U/C) and Skytower (Approved IIRC) which are going to bring Vic Park around in the future.
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM   #15
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 487

Brisbane:

Worst areas in Brisbane are Woodridge and Inala, they are actually quite nice suburbs to look at but have a very bad image problem. The suburbs are heavily populated with Samoan's and Maories and these two Pacific Island groups don't get along very well. It is also an area of mainly public housing which doesn't help though the state government is selling the houses off cheap to renters in an effort to inststall some local pride.

Unusually these are both outer suburbs some 20 or so Kilometres away from the city centre. Inner city areas, red light districts and night club districts are all becoming very trendy and have lost that "bad" image they once had.
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:18 AM   #16
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Vancouver's downtown eastside.
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:25 AM   #17
Gordon Freeman
Registered Winner!

indeed Vancouvers East side
downtown can get bad after bar closing hours
and kingsway area

but your house and car is safe no where
Gordon Freeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:37 AM   #18
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
As a former Hackney resident I disagree. Some bits of Hackney, especially South Hackney near Victoria Park, are lovely and are very much 'gentrified'. Even the worst bits like Homerton (where I used to live) and the Lower Clapton Road are less poor and soul-destroying than other bits of London.

I don't believe the Soweto thing for a minute either!

The bits of London I'd least like to wind up in are Peckham, Walworth, Old Kent Road, Harlesden, Clapham Junction, Dagenham, Clapton, Dalston, Forest Gate. Some of the Bengali areas of Tower Hamlets are much poorer per capita, but these areas are much less moody or threatening than the bits I just mentioned.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:34 AM   #19
ReddAlert
BANNED

the Northside.

Nice houses (in this photo at least), very rough area.

ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM   #20
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 29

^ That looks a little like Indy's northside, except our houses or more four square, which I love. Indianapolis has two fairly rough (not counting blue-collared neighborhoods despite the claims about how "ghetto" some parts of the Westside are by suburbanites) areas on parts of the East and Northsides of town.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote