daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Old January 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #41
Socceroo

Likes (Received): 2

No gothic, i don't think the lobby / foyer interior is finished yet. The project according to Hearst's own website (where i pinched the pics from) states that it will be finished in June 2006.

You think they would be tempted to squeeze in a couple of Mezzanine floors.

They better get a panel beater in for their column encasure eh? Going by the scale of the place i reckon the dent on that raking column is about the size of a small car.
Socceroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #42
gweilo
Jacobsian sentimentalist

Likes (Received): 1

Well fuck me that's brutal.... sort of lacking a human scale there Norm especially with that atrium (which I do kind of have a soft spot for being so brutal) Suppose thats what having a £2 million salary can do for you (mind you it was £6.1 million last year times must be hard)

What did the original podium do to deserve that fate?! I mean why bother retaining it?! It just looks stupid and totally devoid of meaning. Why not just get shot of it and start a fresh? Take no prisoners Norm!

And Alan you are right there is a distinct Helmut Jacoby touch to this. In fact I'd say it was the bastard child of a three way gene splice between Foster's Reichstag, his superb World Trade centre replacement scheme (the kissing towers way way better than Libeskind's effort or the laughable Freedom tower by SOM), and his late 70's early 80's proposal for a skyscraper extension to Marcel Breurs Whitney Museum in New York the perspectives of which were drawn by Jacoby.

I love the Japanese metabolists (of whom the tower owes an enormous debt) and I love deco but really maybe the two can't be butt spliced together without looking ridiculous?!