daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #3501
balay_1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by [kq90] View Post
Starmall is opening another mall in Muntinlupa, near Agro.
The design can be seen here: http://www.asyadesign.com.ph/project.../starmall-agro

In addition to this, I have confirmed that the construction inside Westgate, the former (temporary, empty lot) parking lot near the center, (right beside Melo's) will actually be housing more retail space. The lot is a bit larger than the The Commerce Center (Where Yellow Cab, Army Navy, Mona Lisa, Thousand Cranes, Frutti Froyo, Bikram Yoga and Bridgestone are). The render of the building is posted on site. Hope someone can post a soft copy here, hehe.

Here's a summary of the up and coming retail areas/expansions in the Alabang area:
1. Metro Gaisano Alabang
2. Entrata Mall
3. Westgate (The building mentioned a while ago)
4. Molito Complex (Expansion)

With more residential developments like Avida and The Levels coming up, I think more retail buildings are bound to sprout in the area. I just hope more office buildings are built soon too.
Wow! Starmall sa may Agro Homes.

Ang daming mga business establishments ang nagbukas at magbubukas pa along National Road.

1. Savemore Muntinlupa
2. Starmall Agro
3. Puregold Agro
4. Shakey's Muntinlupa
5. David's Salon
6. Mini-Stop (near Muntinlupa City Hall)
7. Mini-Stop Poblacion
8. East-West Bank Muntinlupa
9. Mercury Drug Poblacion Branch 2
10. Mang Inasal Muntinlupa

and still counting in the future...

Pati sa Alabang area, marami na.

Go go go Muntinlupa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LhexiMont View Post
This will be also built just beside the Elizabeth Center where the soon to open branch of SM-Savemore is located.
Tama po kayo Sir Lheximont.
balay_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #3502
Planning Democracy

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/i...011/january/14

http://www.pia.gov.ph/?m=1&t=1&id=11497

I think Mayor San Pedro should indeed stand firm in his decision to ban plastics in Muntinlupa. Not only will the law help Muntinlupa, but it should set an example for other cities in the metro too.

What I don't get is the fact that even though it's been almost a year from the conception of this ordinance, it is only today that the Philippine Plastics Industries Association released a statement against this. This is unacceptable and gives me more reason to ban plastics. Not only are plastics harmful to the environment, but the association backing them seems to be harmful as a political force too (pressuring Muntinlupa City just now when the plastics ban is about to be implemented). There should be no compromise for an organization with such an attitude :P.
The intention is good but can they implement this?

Why not strengthen the implementation of laws against littering so that plastic items will not clog our waterways? So since they can't properly implement those laws they'll just ban plastics instead? Litter that clogs our waterways are not just made up plastic, I think it's the habit of littering that's the problem not the plastics themselves.
Planning Democracy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3503
amras
Batang Munti

Likes (Received): 2

well, we have to start somewhere don't you think? enough of the "what if's" and the "should have's".

At this point, it is already difficult to change people's habits such as littering. At least now, they won't be littering plastics... Perhaps after a while, as we become more disciplined and educated, littering would be a thing of the past.
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #3504
[kq90]

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planning Democracy View Post
The intention is good but can they implement this?

Why not strengthen the implementation of laws against littering so that plastic items will not clog our waterways? So since they can't properly implement those laws they'll just ban plastics instead? Litter that clogs our waterways are not just made up plastic, I think it's the habit of littering that's the problem not the plastics themselves.
I think at the very least they can prevent big establishments like Supermarkets and chains like 7-11 and McDonald's from using plastic. At the very least, awareness will be heightened in the area .
[kq90] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #3505
fretchel

Likes (Received): 0

Correct. But Filipinos are spoiled. The other day I was in Mercury, there was this woman ahead of me who bought just a small piece of toiletry. After paying, the cashier didnt give her a plastic bag but yet the woman still asked for one. I mean she could have just put that small toiletry in her bag. This will be a long education process but it has got to start soon.
fretchel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:13 AM   #3506
Planning Democracy

Well I hope I'm proven wrong, but the ordinance seems like its just grandstanding to me, how can you implement banning plastics when you can't even stop people from littering?

Anyway, does this ordinance ban trash bags as well?
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #3507
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by LhexiMont View Post
Wow..ang lapit lang sa amin nito ..walking distance lang. It will surely click coz , it's an SM-owned /managed store and the area is also quite close to City Hall and several residential villages. Plus the fact that the area is more vibrant now as it has several fastfood stores, 24-hour conveniences stores ,
hospitals, schools. Pag may mga kailangang bilhin , konting lakad lang ayos na. Though next year ko pa ma-visit yan , kapag nagbakasyon ako dyan sa Pinas.
Pictures naman ng area na yan. I miss Muntinlupa already. I live there once over at Greenheights subdv.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #3508
[kq90]

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planning Democracy View Post
Well I hope I'm proven wrong, but the ordinance seems like its just grandstanding to me, how can you implement banning plastics when you can't even stop people from littering?

Anyway, does this ordinance ban trash bags as well?
There's a difference. Stopping people from littering requires the city to watch every person who litters. On the other hand, stopping the usage of establishments only requires the government to keep an eye on the establishments. In addition to this, the city has the option to revoke an establishment's business permit or to not renew it.

Being from Muntinlupa myself, I've seen how the ordinance has been implemented so far. There are still some establishments that are hard-headed who still have not complied. On a positive note though, all supermarkets seem to have complied. Moreover, Muntinlupa has, according to the news, already warned violating establishments. Hopefully every establishment complies by the end of the month

As for trash bags, I think the ban only pertains to packaging food products and dry goods particularly in retail/restaurant operations. The ban also includes styro packaging (for restaurants).
[kq90] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3509
balay_1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg12a View Post
Pictures naman ng area na yan. I miss Muntinlupa already. I live there once over at Greenheights subdv.
I will post pictures soon.
balay_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3510
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 489

Was in Alabang last weekend... The implementation on the ban on plastics has been VERY GOOD so far... Puro brown paper bag ang nakikita ko..

Full swing na din pala ang construction ng Metro - Alabang. Medyo malaki din pala 'to no?
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #3511
metrosuburban

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretchel View Post
Correct. But Filipinos are spoiled. The other day I was in Mercury, there was this woman ahead of me who bought just a small piece of toiletry. After paying, the cashier didnt give her a plastic bag but yet the woman still asked for one. I mean she could have just put that small toiletry in her bag. This will be a long education process but it has got to start soon.
YES to plastics ban
metrosuburban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #3512
the glimpser
Asean Urbanite

Likes (Received): 41

Metro Manila cities urged to outlaw plastic bags

By Tina Santos
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 15:50:00 01/21/2011

MANILA, Philippines—The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority on Friday urged other local government units to adopt Muntinlupa City's measure against the use of plastic and other non-biodegradable materials by all business establishments.
“I hope other LGUs would follow suit because strong measures such as this would definitely help combat the dangerous effects of environmental degradation which leads to massive flooding and climate change,” said MMDA Chairman Francisco Tolentino.

He lauded the Muntinlupa government for enacting and implementing the anti-plastic ordinance, adding that he would push for the adoption of similar measures by the 15 other cities and one municipality comprising Metro Manila.

Tolentino urged mayors throughout the country to do the same.

“I commend the City Government of Muntinlupa for initiating this bold move for the sake of our environment,” he added.

Last Tuesday, Muntinlupa started implementing Ordinance No. 10-109, “an ordinance prohibiting the use of plastic bags on dry goods, regulating its utilization on wet goods, and prohibiting the use of Styrofoam.”

It is the first city in Metro Manila to ban the use of plastic bags for wet and dry goods and polystyrene, commonly known by the brandnames Styrofoam or Styropor for food stuff, drinks and other goods.

In passing the ordinance, the Muntinlupa City Council noted that disposed plastic bags and other non-biodegradable containers are the major causes of flash floods in the city during heavy rains as they clogged canals, creeks, rivers and other waterways that all drain into Laguna de Bay.

Violators will be meted a fine, while business establishments found violating the ordinance may have their licenses suspended for up to one year.

Polystyrene is a petroleum-based plastic with insulation properties and is used in all types of products such as beverage cups and food containers.

The MMDA cited a 1986 US Environmental Protection Agency report on solid waste which named polystyrene manufacturing process as the fifth largest creator of hazardous waste. The process of making polystyrene is reported to pollute the air and create large amounts of solid and liquid waste.

Toxic chemicals leach out of these products into the food that they contain, especially when heated in a microwave oven. These chemicals threaten human health and reproductive systems.

Further, polystyrene foam is often dumped into the environment as litter which breaks up into pieces that choke animals and clog their digestive systems, the MMDA said.

The MMDA added that several cities and countries have already outlawed the use of polystyrene foam.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...w-plastic-bags
the glimpser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #3513
edu mckay shawn

Hooray for the trailblazing city of Muntinlupa !
Muntinlupa rules !
Ibalik ang bayong ni Lolo at basket ni Lola !
Cauayan and Coconuts and Copra forever !
edu mckay shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #3514
leechtat
@jpareyes

Likes (Received): 113

i must congratulate muntinlupa too.. sana all the other cities follow suit.

"PROPERTYKO.PH - THE PHILIPPINE REAL ESTATE SOURCE"
-
AYALA LAND Real Estate Blog"
---
“Read more, Talk less..."
-----

leechtat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #3515
metrosuburban

i bought some stuff in 7-11 alabang and they wrap them now in paper.. no plastic
metrosuburban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #3516
Planning Democracy

Quote:
There's a difference. Stopping people from littering requires the city to watch every person who litters. On the other hand, stopping the usage of establishments only requires the government to keep an eye on the establishments. In addition to this, the city has the option to revoke an establishment's business permit or to not renew it.

Being from Muntinlupa myself, I've seen how the ordinance has been implemented so far. There are still some establishments that are hard-headed who still have not complied. On a positive note though, all supermarkets seem to have complied. Moreover, Muntinlupa has, according to the news, already warned violating establishments. Hopefully every establishment complies by the end of the month

As for trash bags, I think the ban only pertains to packaging food products and dry goods particularly in retail/restaurant operations. The ban also includes styro packaging (for restaurants).
Hope they can sustain it, the use of brown bags looks better than using plastic. In the case of styro, there are food packaging products made out of corn fiber but the consumer may have to bear the brunt of the extra cost.

This should be a start of a "brown bag" culture, let's see what happens in the coming months.
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #3517
thescene

Likes (Received): 25

It would be even better if they get shoppers to use those canvas bags.
thescene está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3518
gala_boy
Graphic Designer Wannabe

Picture Updates

circa January 2011
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3519
makatiprime
BANNED

can be muntinlupa city as promising like the old plan of ayala alabang??? there was a proposed 100+ storey building in 90's but was scrap by the city gov't,by then ayala alabang was starting to be the new high rise hub,but since the scraping of that 100 storey building it was the start of downfall of investments in muntinlupa,and that was the time of the birth of bonifacio global city,both of these high rise hub was planned by ramos...
makatiprime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #3520
Planning Democracy

CITYWIDE PLASTIC BAN
Muntinlupa takes giant step

By Sonia S. Mendoza
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 21:01:00 01/29/2011

Filed Under: Environmental Issues, Environmental pollution

Most Read

MANILA, Philippines—Officials of Muntinlupa have taken a monumental step in protecting the environment by banning plastic bags and polystyrene in the city.

This is an encouraging boost that we in the environmental movement have been waiting for. In all our engagements with local government units, every time we present the adverse effects of plastic bags on health and the environment, the common knee-jerk response is that the initiative to ban plastic bags should come from the national government.

Relying on our national government may not be our best option because of the uncertainty of passing ecologically sound bills in our legislature.

Good precedent

Thus, the example set by Muntinlupa, among others, establishes a good precedent and a clear statement that, with political will, a ban is doable. (Los Baños in Laguna, Sta. Barbara in Iloilo, Burgos in Pangasinan and Odiongan in Romblon have also taken moves against the use of plastic bags.)

A positive national impact of the ban is that it opens up livelihood opportunities for producing baskets, bayong and other organic, reusable bags using katsa or available indigenous materials.

Both our urban and rural populations will benefit from this opportunity since raw materials are available where they are: discarded paper and cloth in the city; abaca, buri, and other plant fibers in provinces.

Indirectly, this may reduce the urge to migrate to cities since a source of income becomes available in the provinces.

Similarly, it will open doors to discussions on how people should be stewards of the environment, which provides their basic raw materials.

In 2009, the United Nations Environment Program executive director, Achim Steiner, expressed the need to ban plastic bags, highlighting the seriousness of plastic pollution and the urgency of taking action against the material.

“Single-use plastic bags which choke marine life, should be banned or phased out rapidly everywhere,” Steiner says.

“There is simply zero justification for manufacturing them anymore, anywhere,” he adds.

Trillion bags

Every year, around 500 billion to a trillion plastic bags are used worldwide, with over one million bags used every minute.

Plastic pollution from Asia, the Pacific and North America is sucked into the North Pacific Gyre, an area between Hawaii and the United States mainland.

Food chain

The pollution mingles with sea life, choking and ensnaring marine wildlife and disturbing every level of the food chain.

Now estimated to be twice the size of Texas, 80 percent of the plastic debris come directly from land. Necropsies have showed that many marine creatures had stomachs full of plastic trash that caused their deaths.

Plastic bags and plastic fragments can cause blockage of digestive or intestinal tracts of marine creatures resulting in more than 100,000 deaths of seabirds, turtles and mammals annually.

Plastic litter in the countryside can be eaten by grazing domestic and wild animals and can eventually enter the food chain.

Toxic

Many plastic items contain toxic chemicals such as biocides and plasticizers that could be released if the items break down or are eaten. Many chemical additives to plastic goods have negative effects on the environment and human health, such as the following:

Direct toxicity, as in the cases of lead, cadmium and mercury

Carcinogens, as in the case of diethylhexyl phthalate, a plasticizer used to make PVC pliable

Endocrine disruption, which can lead to cancer, birth defects, immune system suppression and developmental problems in children.

On the other hand, polystyrene, the main component of Styrofoam, can irritate the eyes, nose and throat, and can cause dizziness and unconsciousness. It migrates into food and is stored in body fat. It can cause lymphatic and hematopoietic cancer. Styrofoams, like plastic bags, are nonbiodegradable.

(Sonia S. Mendoza is the chair of Mother Earth Foundation and a member of Task Force Plastic, EcoWaste Coalition.)

Tags
alabang, filinvest city