daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Hong Kong (香港) & Macau (澳門) Forums > Macau Forums 澳門論壇

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #41
costa

Likes (Received): 470

If Macau want to be just another chinese city, with their trade simply based in gambling they should encourage the learn of English.

If Macau want to be the China first channel to a world of opportunities with almost 250 million people, 8 different countries in Europe, Africa and America, including rising superpowers on their continents (Angola) and world (Brazil) they should continue and encourage Portuguese (the fourth most learned language in the world actually).
costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2011, 01:31 AM   #42
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa View Post
If Macau want to be just another chinese city, with their trade simply based in gambling they should encourage the learn of English.

If Macau want to be the China first channel to a world of opportunities with almost 250 million people, 8 different countries in Europe, Africa and America, including rising superpowers on their continents (Angola) and world (Brazil) they should continue and encourage Portuguese (the fourth most learned language in the world actually).
fourth, is this what they teach you in Portuguese school?

mandarin and english is 1st and 2nd place, then
we have spanish, french, arabic, indian, possibly russian, french and german that have more speaker then Portuguese.

I sort of agree with what you say,ability to speaks Portuguese should give you a little advantage over other parts of the world, but that advantage is only little, but view it from the other side of the coin, from Portugal, isn't ability to speaks Chinese/English more important, you create yourself a opportunities to well over 1billions people.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:10 AM   #43
Muchenyi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
fourth, is this what they teach you in Portuguese school?
Hey dude, there is something wrong with you. If you have something against the Portuguese, please let us know. Stop trolling. That's it!

Quote:
mandarin and english is 1st and 2nd place, then
we have spanish, french, arabic, indian, possibly russian, french and german that have more speaker then Portuguese.
Wrong, wrong wrong, ignorance at top level.

1st Chinese Mandarin (if you believe all of them can speak mandarin),
2nd Hindi (not Indian),
3rd Spanish
4th English (ups...)
5th Arabic
6th Portuguese

Quote:
I sort of agree with what you say,ability to speaks Portuguese should give you a little advantage over other parts of the world, but that advantage is only little, but view it from the other side of the coin, from Portugal, isn't ability to speaks Chinese/English more important, you create yourself a opportunities to well over 1billions people.
Dude, think twice! If "everybody" can speak Chinese/English, and there are just few speaking Chinese/Portuguese, those will benefit from their skills to profit.
Muchenyi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:09 AM   #44
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 165

wtf source please, portuguese is not 6th, according to wiki, the top are english, mandarin, hindi, spanish, french, arabic, no portuguese

heres a source but its not too good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ative_speakers

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:43 AM   #45
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchenyi View Post
Hey dude, there is something wrong with you. If you have something against the Portuguese, please let us know. Stop trolling. That's it!
Sir, I got nothing against Portuguese, just against people that place the importance of Portuguese to such a high level.

Quote:
Wrong, wrong wrong, ignorance at top level.

1st Chinese Mandarin (if you believe all of them can speak mandarin),
even at 40% discount, it beats 2nd by miles.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.

Last edited by mrfusion; January 31st, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:35 AM   #46
Muchenyi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianDragons View Post
wtf source please, portuguese is not 6th, according to wiki, the top are english, mandarin, hindi, spanish, french, arabic, no portuguese
Check your sources and let me know where French stays... You are somewhere lost in UN...

Quote:
Sir, I got nothing against Portuguese, just against people that place the importance of Portuguese to such a high level.
Sir, you can't bear with the reality that the Portuguese language can play a very important role in Portuguese speaking countries. Compreendido?

Quote:
even at 40% discount, it beats 2nd my miles.
Are you sure 60% of Chinese people can speak Mandarin? Well, we are diving to another subject.
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:44 AM   #47
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Sir, you can't bear with the reality that the Portuguese language can play a very important role in Portuguese speaking countries. Compreendido?
I understand what you mean, my point is...

If, (just if) China/Macau decide to remove Portuguese as its official language (tomorrow, or prehaps slowly over next 10, 15 years). How will it change
the relations between China/Portugual Speaking countries change? And if there is any changes, who will lose more? China or Portugual Speaking countries.

Quote:
Are you sure 60% of Chinese people can speak Mandarin? Well, we are diving to another subject.
What is your estimate?

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:06 AM   #48
Muchenyi
BANNED

Quote:
If, (just if) China/Macau decide to remove Portuguese as its official language (tomorrow, or prehaps slowly over next 10, 15 years). How will it change
the relations between China/Portugual Speaking countries change? And if there is any changes, who will lose more? China or Portugual Speaking countries.
This is not a win or lose relationship. This is a win-win situation!

Anyway China wont decide to remove the Portuguese as official language because China is proud to respect their agreements.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM   #49
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

[QUOTE=Muchenyi;71704963]Check your sources and let me know where French stays... You are somewhere lost in UN...

did i not say this source is no good, i studied in year10 in AUSTRALIA that the top 3 european languages are english, spanish and french,

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM   #50
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
This is not a win or lose relationship. This is a win-win situation!

Anyway China wont decide to remove the Portuguese as official language because China is proud to respect their agreements.
The win-win situation happens because of Macau's historical relationship with Portugals. The language itself may play a part, but is not necessary important to achieve this win-win situation.

Old January 31st, 2011, 02:22 PM   #51
Muchenyi
BANNED

[QUOTE=AsianDragons;71710155]
Quote:
did i not say this source is no good, i studied in year10 in AUSTRALIA that the top 3 european languages are english, spanish and french,
I highly "advise" you to go back to school then!

Quote:
The win-win situation happens because of Macau's historical relationship with Portugals. The language itself may play a part, but is not necessary important to achieve this win-win situation.
You can't get the full picture, can you?

BTW what is Portugals?
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM   #52
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Check your sources and let me know where French stays... You are somewhere lost in UN...
In terms of most influential, according to the following page, French is ahead of Portuguese, (check the very last ranking, in terms of influential)

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

It may be a little outdated, in terms of number of speakers, the ranking should not change that much, but in terms of most influential language, with the growth of China, India, and Portuguese speaking coutntries, the ranking may be very different now.

OK, Muchenyi, you are not going to read my link, Why don't you show us your source?

Old January 31st, 2011, 05:24 PM   #53
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
You can't get the full picture, can you?
Let just say I got your point, but I don't agree with everything you said.

Old January 31st, 2011, 05:32 PM   #54
Yuri S Andrade

Ow, my God! Portuguese is the 6th most learned language in the world in terms of native-speakers. Virtually nobody learns Portuguese as a foreign-language. It's so far behind German, French and Spanish as we cannot even compare. Italian, for example, is much more taught as foreign-language than Portuguese.

How many people in Macao can speak Portuguese? 5%? Portuguese language is completely irrelevant to Macao.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:45 AM   #55
Muchenyi
BANNED

Quote:
It may be a little outdated, in terms of number of speakers, the ranking should not change that much, but in terms of most influential language, with the growth of China, India, and Portuguese speaking coutntries, the ranking may be very different now.
I am talking about numbers and you are talking about influence... for God sake... make a point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Ow, my God! Portuguese is the 6th most learned language in the world in terms of native-speakers. Virtually nobody learns Portuguese as a foreign-language. It's so far behind German, French and Spanish as we cannot even compare. Italian, for example, is much more taught as foreign-language than Portuguese.
Amigo Andrade, what do you want to prove with your "wise" comment?

Quote:
How many people in Macao can speak Portuguese? 5%? Portuguese language is completely irrelevant to Macao.
It's not how many, but how important it is! Read the whole topic before you start another shower of non-sense comments.

Reading this topic and few comments, I'd say everybody in Mainland' Central Government is wrong, and just a few guys here in the forum really understand the reality of Macau...
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM   #56
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Quote:

I highly "advise" you to go back to school then! lol:
I still go to school its called the University of Technology, Sydney

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM   #57
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
I am talking about numbers and you are talking about influence... for God sake... make a point!

It's not how many, but how important it is! Read the whole topic before you start another shower of non-sense comments.
Make up your mind, are you saying how many, or are you not.

Quote:
You quote me on something i did not write.

Old February 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM   #58
Muchenyi
BANNED

Quote:
Make up your mind, are you saying how many, or are you not.

In the world ... is how many!
In Macau ... is how important!

Did you get the picture now?

Quote:
You quote me on something i did not write.
Mea culpa! My mistake!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM   #59
Yuri S Andrade

Quote:
Amigo Andrade, what do you want to prove with your "wise" comment?
Well, I thought it was obvious, so let me spell: the number of native-learners it's not a good way to measure the importance of a language. Virtually nobody learns Portuguese as a foreign language, so there is no economic need at all for Macanese to learn it. And about Brazil, people are clearly overstating the importance of the country. It represents only a tiny portion of world's GDP and even a smaller of global trade.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #60
Muchenyi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Virtually nobody learns Portuguese as a foreign language, so there is no economic need at all for Macanese to learn it.
So you are the wiseman and the guys in Beijing are a bunch of idiots, right?