daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #201
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Yes..but if the SOCHI Org Committee had done its homework or had any self-respect, it would've pulled the mascots that were outright copies of earlier ones -- PLUS the fact that the Sochi region does NOT have bears (much less polar ones) or, I am told, snowhares.
The was voting among the Russian audience. Majority of them voted for the snow leopard (which was not among mascots of the past Olympic Games). And only in the end of voting the organizers of this show announced about their decision on the three mascots, which was negatively perceived in the Russian community.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #202
AlekseyVT
BANNED

double post.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:03 AM   #203
ultEmate
146% Ватник

Likes (Received): 5845

Quote:
Duh!! Your point above is an unintelligible non-sequitur.

I am showing that Russia/USSR has a long history of either covertly stealing either confidential intellectual property (i.e., technological secrets) or blatantly open I.P. (like Olympic mascots)! But maybe that concept is too simple (or complex) for you. And of course, you would NOT even have enough self-honesty to admit it.

Either way, you lose!!
wow, what a childish comment.
ultEmate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:23 AM   #204
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultEmate View Post
wow, what a childish comment.
Please, let's stop it. It's always boring and useless discussions.

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:23 AM   #205
GammaHamster

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Yes..but if the SOCHI Org Committee had done its homework or had any self-respect, it would've pulled the mascots that were outright copies of earlier ones -- PLUS the fact that the Sochi region does NOT have bears (much less polar ones) or, I am told, snowhares.
Newsflash: Moscow Olympics of 1980 had bear as a mascot.

Newsflash x2: Bear was a popular symbol in Russia before USA existed as a coutry.

Ignorance and lack of education is shocking here, to tell russians that we are stealing idea of bear as a mascot!

Quote:
blatantly open I.P. (like Olympic mascots)! But maybe that concept is too simple (or complex) for you.
The only one here who doesn't get the concept of IP is you. The idea to have a winter animal as a mascot for a winter even is not an IP
GammaHamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:53 AM   #206
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaHamster View Post
Newsflash: Moscow Olympics of 1980 had bear as a mascot.

Newsflash x2: Bear was a popular symbol in Russia before USA existed as a coutry.

Ignorance and lack of education is shocking here, to tell russians that we are stealing idea of bear as a mascot!

The only one here who doesn't get the concept of IP is you. The idea to have a winter animal as a mascot for a winter even is not an IP
Oh all-unknowing Hamster, even Viktor Chizikov, the designer of Misha 1980 is pissed at the idea of Sochi "stealing" the polar bear idea. And that is someone from within your own country.

http://themoscownews.com/sports/2011...ml?referfrommn

DUH!! You're actually quite an ignoramus shamus!
Gondolier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM   #207
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Oh all-unknowing Hamster, even Viktor Chizikov, the designer of Misha 1980 is pissed at the idea of Sochi "stealing" the polar bear idea. And that is someone from within your own country.

How it corresponds with your delusional idea about stealing of the Western technology? Is Victor Chizhov a Western designer? And how the Polar Bear may be similar to the Black Bear?

In reality, the bear become a popular character of the Russian national fairytales long before the discovery of America. Even the British Empire during the Great Game against Russia in Asia used the image of a Russian Bear for own propaganda purposes.

Bear is a popular character of many Russian/Soviet cartoons, which were released as before the Moscow Olympics, as after 1980. I'm understand that Chizhov wants to receive money compensation for copyright infringement, but I doubt that it would succeed.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:46 AM   #208
AlekseyVT
BANNED

The Englishmen, for example, used their traditional symbol (British Lion) as for the 1966 World Cup as for Euro 1996:

At same time Olympic mascots for 2012 London Olympics are look like some characters of the "Monsters, Inc" animated film for me:

As I've written, I'm not impressed with the new Olympic symbols for Sochi, but accusations of plagiarism look fake.
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM   #209
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
How it corresponds with your delusional idea about stealing of the Western technology? Is Victor Chizhov a Western designer? And how the Polar Bear may be similar to the Black Bear?

Because in your own DELUSIONAL mind you do NOT get the analogy.

Go figure it out yourself.
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM   #210
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

Back on topic. Stick to copied mascots.

Gondolier, no politics allowed at all, stick to the topic.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:30 PM   #211
GammaHamster

Quote:

You are just embarassing yourself now. You didn't even bother to read the article you posted.

Let me help you:

Quote:
“They pulled around all the details of my bear,” he complained. The eyes are rounded the same way, the nose is a little altered and the smile has the same characteristics.”
You see? Thats actual similiarities, two bear actually look similiar to each other, thats not your laughable "Salt lake city had a bear so nobody can have a bear now".
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM   #212
TataMuminka

I love all of the mascots, to be honest. They are much better than any mascots I can remember now - they are traditional in the best possible sense and look very friendly. Still, as an adult I'm not the target of the mascots and there are accusations of plagiarism.
TataMuminka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:22 AM   #213
Gondolier

Quote:
You are just embarassing yourself now. You see? Thats actual similiarities, two bear actually look similiar to each other, thats not your laughable "Salt lake city had a bear so nobody can have a bear now".
What a joke, Gamma. Exactly. Again, it's the Sochi Org Committee's fault for NOT filtering the finalists. But the (polar) bear was already done

(1) by Moscow for a SUMMER GAMES;

(2) Calgary 1988 had TWO POLAR BEARS: Hidy and Howdy, which seemed appropriate enough for a WINTER GAMES.

(3) TWENTY-TWO YEARS later from Moscow, Salt Lake presented THREE mascots: a brown grizzly bear; a snowshoe and a coyote...for a WINTER GAMES!! And all these 3 animals are indigenous to the Salt Lake area; none of the Sochi ones are.

Well, guess what... only 9 years later, Sochi unveils a polar bear and a snowshoe hare amongst its trio of mascots for the regular Olympics -- neither thse 2 NOR the snow leopard are indigenous to the Sochi region. So how phony can you get!!

I won't even go into the Paralympic mascots .

Wow!! Why are there so many similarities with very recent Olympic Games? Have originality genes disappeared? Obviously they have in Russia. I'm looking forward to a copy of Stryker for 2018!!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM   #214
GammaHamster

Quote:
(1) by Moscow for a SUMMER GAMES;
So we did it first and Salt lake city copied us. Case closed. Please stop spamming in this thread.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM   #215
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
TWENTY-TWO YEARS later from Moscow, Salt Lake presented THREE mascots: a brown grizzly bear; a snowshoe and a coyote...for a WINTER GAMES!! And all these 3 animals are indigenous to the Salt Lake area; none of the Sochi ones are.
Polar Bear, Hare and the Snow Leopard are indigenous to the Russia. But why mascots and national symbols must be indigenous to the host country? Who invented this criteria?

For example, the Lion is the symbol of Britain for many centuries in the history of this island. But Lions are African animals and have never lived in the British Isles (only in zoos and in the circuses). What about those humanoids, who were elected for the London Olympic Games? Are they indigenous to the Great Britain? However, if you are from Britain, then everything is possible.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM   #216
Gondolier

Quote:
So we did it first and Salt lake city copied us.
Oh baloney.

So you did it first for a SUMMER GAMES -- that doesn't mean it can't be used for a Winter Games which is more appropriate. A heavy furry animal for a Summer Games? And kinda stupid and inappropriate. And it was only 1 of 3 for Salt Lake.

It's NOT case closed until I say so.

Now, it's case closed!!

Last edited by Gondolier; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM   #217
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
1. Polar Bear, Hare and the Snow Leopard are indigenous to the Russia. But why mascots and national symbols must be indigenous to the host country? Who invented this criteria?

2. For example, the Lion is the symbol of Britain for many centuries in the history of this island. But Lions are African animals and have never lived in the British Isles (only in zoos and in the circuses). What about those humanoids, who were elected for the London Olympic Games? Are they indigenous to the Great Britain? However, if you are from Britain, then everything is possible.
1. Why would you feature an animal that is identified with another locale? Would Russia feature a chihuahua or a parrot? I'm surprised Sochi did not pick a mink -- that animal's neer been used before and I think is quite Russian and has winter connotations.

2. THere are also such things as mythological or symbolic animals. Britain usually is either represented by yes, the lion or the bulldog. And there are the imaginary ones like Magique (Albertville '92), Izzy, Neve, Glitz, Wenlock, Mandeville -- at least those imaginary creations -- NOT incorrect symbols. Libraries in the UK and the USa have lions at their entrances, usually called Knowledge. that doesn't mean that lions lounged there before. It is symbolic...of the king of the beasts.

Now for example, Cobi for Barcelona 1992 is a stylized Catalan sheep dog. So that's OK...and because no one had used or thought of it before.

Ehhh go ahead with your choices. Don't think the graphic design industry around the world isn't rolling their eyes at Sochi's unimaginative graphic choices so far including one of the dumbest logos even put out for an Olympic games.

Last edited by Gondolier; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM   #218
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
1. Why would you feature an animal that is identified with another locale? Would Russia feature a chihuahua or a parrot? I'm surprised Sochi did not pick a mink -- that animal's neer been used before and I think is quite Russian and has winter connotations.
Polar bear: the range includes the territory of five nations: Denmark (Greenland), Norway (Svalbard), Russia, the United States (Alaska) and Canada. These five nations are the signatories of the International Agreement on the Conservation of Polar Bears, which mandates cooperation on research and conservations efforts throughout the polar bear's range.

The Snow Leopard's habitat in central and south Asia is rugged mountainous regions of approximately 1.230.000 square kilometres (470,000 sq mi), which extends through twelve countries: Afghanistan, Bhutan, China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. Its geographic distribution runs from the Hindukush in eastern Afghanistan and the Syr Darya through the mountains of Pamir Mountains, Tian Shan, Karakoram, Kashmir, Kunlun, and the Himalaya to southern Siberia, where the range covers the Russian Altai mountains, Sayan, Tannu-Ola mountains and the mountains to the west of Lake Baikal.

The Mountain Hare, is a hare, which is largely adapted to polar and mountainous habitats. It is distributed from Fennoscandia to eastern Siberia; in addition there are isolated populations in the Alps, Ireland, Poland, the United Kingdom and Hokkaidō. It has also been introduced to Shetland and the Faroe Islands.

As fot Sochi in particular and the Krasnodar Region in general, here is a rich and diverse fauna. But as this region is located in the subtropical zone, there are not many species that can be chosen as the mascot of the Olympic Winter Games.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM   #219
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
A heavy furry animal for a Summer Games? And kinda stupid and inappropriate.
The Black Bear symbolizes physical force, which is actual for Wrestling, Weightlifting, some Athletics events, and so on.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #220
RobH

Likes (Received): 1919

Well I never, the Sochi mascots are invading SSC!

Tags
caucasus, olympic games, russia, sochi