daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic » Development News | Includes DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME

Old October 6th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #1
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1099

in depth look at wilmington part 6

here's some pictures of downtown wilmington. i've already done a large thread on downtown, but i'm in the area a lot, and it showcases the best of what we have, so i am making another thread anyway.

before we start, i'd like to point out tht wilmington is a major city in our country, despite it's size. i believe over 300 of the fortune 500 companies are incorporated in delaware, many of those in wilmington. the business-friendly environment has worked extremely well for the city and state: all those corporate taxes come to us. wilmington is also the home of two international headquarters: dupont and mbna. astra-zeneca's north american headquarters are in the wilmington area as well. because of these things, wilmington is known as the credit card capital of the world, chemical capital of the world, and corporation capital of the world.

wilmington is not a bump in the road like many people would like to think. we are a decent sized city in our own right; we are our own metropolitan statistical area, as defined by the united states census. we are also part of the consolidated statistical area of philadelphia. unfortunately because of this, people tend to think that wilmington is just another suburb of philly, like the suburban neighborhoods of montgomery or bucks counties in pennsylvania. this is definitely not the case. i would say that wilmington's and philly's metro areas overlap to form a super-metro.

wilmington's city population is around 72,000. at one point, back in the early to mid 20th century, wilmington's city population was around 150,000. while the city population has dramatically fallen, the metro population has soared. that is currently up to 620,000, and it includes parts of cecil county, maryland, as defined by the census. i saw on one census document that part of salem county, new jersey, and chester county, pennsylvania, are now considered to be part of the metro wilmington area. i would've added the southern part of chester county to our metro area years ago, since many people who live there use route 202 to go to work in wilmington, but i guess everything is taken care of now in that respect.

a few of mbna's many buildings are in the middle of the picture.

five of mbna's buildings are in this picture; three on the left side of french street, two on the right side. there are one or twp more buildings that aren't in this picture.

looking east up 10th street.

rodney square, with the statue of colonial patriot caesar rodney at the left. hotel dupont, a 4 star hotel that many say holds it's own to the great hotels of new york or chicago, is on the left.

the chase manhattan center, behind the american international building.

looking north at rodney square from the corner of 10th and king streets. a few of wilmington's taller skyscrapers are in the background. hotel dupont is on the very left.

this is where the renaissance center will go. it is located across king street from the county courthouse.

the backs of these buildings will be destroyed for the renaissance center. the facades, facing market street, will be kept. notice the old advertisement for coca-cola on the back of the one building. i believe that is going to be kept as well.

the new castle county courthouse.

the east side in the foreground, with industrial complexes along the delaware river in the background.

looking north up walnut street from the county courthouse.

looking south, towards the southern part of the east side and some industrial areas south of the christina river.

part of the wilmington skyline.

looking at the port of wilmington, on the left, and the delaware memorial bridge, on the right. the port of wilmingotn is the nations leading importer of bananas and a couple other products. the delaware memorial bridge is the longest twin suspension bridge in the world.

the renaissance center will be going up in the lot that has already been cleared.

part of the downtown skyline.

some houses-turned-law offices along king street, north of rodney square. one of the mbna buildings is in the background.

hercules plaza, from 14th street.

hercules plaza, as seen from fletcher brown park along the brandywine river.

the brandywine river in the background, park drive in the middle, and the raceway in the foreground.

looking across the brandywine river at the neighborhood of eastlake. st. patrick's catholic church is in the foreground. st. patrick's is the only church that i know of in the diocese of wilmington tht still does the latin mass.

the chase manhattan center and hercules plaza, from the top of a parking garage.

looking north towards north wilmington. a storm is passing through in this picture.

looking west, up the brandywine river. the washington street bridge towers over the river.

another picture of the brandywine river and washington street bridge.

some houses on west street right near the brandywine river.

some houses along 14th street between west and tatnall streets. i'm not sure what this neighborhood is called.

hercules plaza on the left anf the chase manhattan center on the right, with the washington street bridge in the foreground.

hercules plaza on the left, old first presbyterian church on the right, and the brandywine river in the foreground. some of the other skyscrapers are visible behind the trees.

looking at the american international building, on the left, and the chase manhattan center, on the right.

looking at the brandywine river, park drive, old first presbyterian church, hercules plaza, and the chase manhattan center from the washington street bridge. old presbyterian church was built in 1740, and originally stood on market street between 9th and 10th streets. the church was used as a prison and hospital by british soldiers in 1777 after the british had occupied wilmington following the battle of the brandywine in nearby concordville, pennsylvania. the church was moved to its present site along the brandywine river in 1916.

h.b. dupont park, with a wilmington trust building in the background.

h.b. dupont park. this little sliver of parkland is surrounded by delaware avenue, 11th street, and west street. washington street cuts through it.

looking at h.b. dupont park from a parking garage. the sheraton hotel is on the left, and a wilmington trust building is on the right.

i has a great view of iron hill south of newark from here, but i couldn't get a good picture of it. if you look to the left of the sheraton hotel, you can barely see a hill on the horiozn. that is iron hill. iron hill is ujst south of newark, and is right next to i-95 near the maryland border.

a picture of the horizon, with a sliver of iron hill barely visible.

some more law offices on king street, these between 14th and 13th streets. these offices are a little more interesting; one of them has a bust on the top of the facade, as you can see.

some more law offices, located on 13th streets. these are not as nice looking as the ones on king street.

the site for gateway plaza. gateway plaza will be the home of wsfs and a couple other businesses. h.b. dupont park is in the background.

the gateway plaza site, with downtown in the background. a wilmington trust building is on the left, the american international building is in the middle, and the sheraton hotel is on the right. the brandywin building, former home to dupont's world headquarters, is partially hidden behind the sheraton hotel. the dupont insignia is still atop the brandywine building.

another picture of the site, with the chase manhattan center also peeking out from behind one of wilmington trust's buildings. the piles for gateway plaza are being driven in in the foreground.

part of downtown. the intersections of delaware avenue, 11th street, and jefferson avenue are in the forground. the gateway plaza is in the middle of the picture. the buildings, from left to right, are the central ymca, a wilmington trust building, the brandywine building, and the sheraton hotel.

hope you enjoyed the pictures. wilmington has a very nice downtown. while it isn't as large in size as buffalo's, philadelphia's, or new york city's downtown, it is nothing to be embarrassed about, and it is a sign of wilmington's economic status in our nation's economy.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 6th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 1

Loved the pics!!! I have come to appreciate the beauty of the smaller cities - I live in one - and Wilmington is no exception. Don't know much about DT Wilmington, but I am surely interested now Thanks for sharing these great photos.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Furiine
Proud Marylander

Likes (Received): 0

These are great pictures, like always. I love Wilmington. I'd like to see more.
Furiine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #4
jaysonjaz

i wish you could resize the pictures. They too big to see on even a 1024x768 screen size.
jaysonjaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #5
Joe84323

Matt- you have truly evolved.

This is the best downtown Wilmington thread I have ever seen.

I'm in disbelief at the quality of your pics. dude.

I like the dense shot of uptown from the top of that building on French (?) street. Sweet.

Kudos!
Joe84323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #6
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323
Matt- you have truly evolved.

This is the best downtown Wilmington thread I have ever seen.

I'm in disbelief at the quality of your pics. dude.

I like the dense shot of uptown from the top of that building on French (?) street. Sweet.

Kudos!
thanks. i guess i have some expectations to live up to now?
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #7
Joe84323

NP dude.. You can actually see Philly from that parking garage you were on.

Look for the refineries, look left, you'll see the Walt Whitman.. to the left of that is Center City.

Yeah- I'm a dork.
Joe84323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #8
BuffCity
I make Buffalo look good!

Likes (Received): 1

nice photos, a few of them are worthy of retail.

btw, I read once and have been told many times about the corporate story of Delaware...

I guess the companies house the name there, and are registered there, but they don't really set up shot...so to say, maybe enough for an office or something...but they are not moving all the corporate jobs there.

just what I have been told and seen.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #9
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 447

very urban. very nice.
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #10
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffCity
nice photos, a few of them are worthy of retail.

btw, I read once and have been told many times about the corporate story of Delaware...

I guess the companies house the name there, and are registered there, but they don't really set up shot...so to say, maybe enough for an office or something...but they are not moving all the corporate jobs there.

just what I have been told and seen.
you are right, and that is actually one reason why our corpoation laws are so business friendly. delaware does not require that a company have any type of physical operation in the state. while this means that some jobs that could have been don't exist, it also means the corporation has to invest less in the state to incorporate. other advantages about delaware, like a business-friendly chancery court (a chancery court handles corporate matters only, and not other cases like criminal charges, etc), and laws like a takeover of a delaware corporation require 85% of stock to be purchased in one transaction or a 3 year wait, make up for the loss of a few jobs. in the end, the advantages for corporations outweigh advantages offered by other states, which leads to more incorporation in delaware and more corporate tax money.
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #11
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 1004

The skyline looks trouly massive in some of those pics, i guess its very large metro area is the cause in such a great skyline in such a small city!
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote