daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:22 AM   #121
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 939

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Pyongyang's subway may not even be functional at all. North Korea is so isolated that there is talk the subway doesn't even work, but when foreigners visit they open sections of it to show that it may be working. The scale of architecture is much smaller than Moscow, but obviously they modeled it after the Soviets.
It's hard to tell. The thing about visiting North Korea, there are some areas that are restricted to tourists.

And photos can be deceiving as well since you have pictures of a busy metro complete with passengers.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:25 AM   #122
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6875

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
It's hard to tell. The thing about visiting North Korea, there are some areas that are restricted to tourists.

And photos can be deceiving as well since you have pictures of a busy metro complete with passengers.
Foreigners visiting North Korea are subject to many restrictions and and their itineraries are meticulously orchestrated to show the best side of North Korea. Given the electricity shortage and food supply problems, I wouldn't be surprised if the subway only turns on its lights when there is a foreign visit. In light of that, Moscow is probably the best example of a beautiful working subway system.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:28 AM   #123
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 382

IMO, Tokyo has got the best metro system of this planet.

(I have visited by 60 metro networks all over the world).
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:10 AM   #124
IRTEagle102704

Likes (Received): 0

After reading this, Im surprised no one has mentioned Washington DC... Its not the largest, (2nd in the US in terms of route miles, 102 i think) but its clean, efficent, has nice, but monotonous archetecture, and (i think, correct me if im wrong) can be automatically run... its also easy to navigate if your not familliar with the city (all lines are assigned a color) the only things it lacks (i think) are history (built in 1976) and character... here are some pictures...

Elevated/Ground Level Station: Cheverly (orange line)

Typical Underground Station: L'Enfant Plaza (Green, Yellow, Blue, Orange Lines)

New Style Elevated/Ground Level Station: New York Avenue (Red Line)

Train:

Train Interior:
IRTEagle102704 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:21 PM   #125
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 1

Pics of Metro Madrid (Metrosur - Line 12) at Getafe Satation:

Madrid-Barajas Airport Station (Line 8):

Flight Information in Campo de las Naciones station (Line 8):

picassoborseli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #126
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 16

For pure beauty, I don't see how anyone can vote anything other than the Moscow underground:

For efficiency and planning, one of the Asian giants: Tokyo, HK, Singapore.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #127
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Moscow Metro Photos
http://www.pbase.com/e_sela/moscow_metro

http://www.pbase.com/hltam/moscowmetro

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #128
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I haven't been to Moscow so I wouldn't know how efficient they are but they really have some of the most beautiful stations I've eve seen.

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #129
hkskyline
Hong Kong

They run on 90-second headways during rush hour and even some London transit officials went over to study how they can time it so well.

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #130
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Well it's better to see it myself if I do get to fly there

BTW, does Moscow have platform screen doors installed?

Old March 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #131
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 2114

@hkskyline
i don't know about hk and tokyo, but moscow officially have 39tph and 90 sec minnimum in peak hour. on really i have seen 82 seconds on serpukhovsko-temiryazevskaya line once staying on polyanka waiting and then speaking to friend for about 30 minutes. it was stable 82 seconds (83 just one time), during all those 30 minutes. however it's not most frequent in exussr metro systems. there is 42 tph in kiev. and 42 is possible maximum. moscow tryed 45 tph on zamoskvoretskaya line once in 70's, but unsuccessful. 45 tph left only on paper. on realities - very often if anyone will lock door for 3 secs on few stations - all timetable gets broken without possibility to catch it up again.

@wanch
moscow does not have psd, although door were invented in ussr in spb metro.
because from what i heard they consider them useless. plus those does not fitting into architecture. there was one station planned with PSD - Dorogomilovskaya (between Kievskaya and Delovoy Center on Filyovskaya line). It was planned to open with branch, but construction was cancelled and postponed to better times. so it will be build in future winin service. right now there are much more places were metro is more important, like some periphery districts.
2. tho
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #132
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 5

I quite enjoyed using the DC Metro when I visited the city. It may not be the most expansive or the most beautiful subway in the world, but it's a nice system overall. Gets you around much of DC without too much of a hassle and it's very clean. I'm sure others have seen this site, but it's a pretty good one for an online tour (lots of photos and video): http://transit.schuminweb.com/rail/w...system-map.asp
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #133
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRTEagle102704
Typical Underground Station: L'Enfant Plaza (Green, Yellow, Blue, Orange Lines)
When I see that station, I come to the weird conclusion that I actually don't like a subway without advertisement. It looks empty.

In Paris we had a large vandalizing lobby who were writing stuff on ads as a demonstration to get rid of them. The thing is that I'm probably used to them now, and I wouldn't like to see white walls all around.

Well, on that specific Washington station, that's not a real problem as the station is nice, but in a regular station having nothing special, I think it would be bland and sad.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:47 AM   #134
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Here is another architectural masterpiece - Bilbao's subway system! Stations were designed by Norman Foster.

Old March 31st, 2006, 07:58 AM   #135
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Here is another architectural masterpiece - Bilbao's subway system! Stations were designed by Norman Foster.

I think Bilbao is the best example of modern city planning in Spain's major cities.

Old March 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM   #136
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 95

Bilbao subway is really artisitc.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:00 PM   #137
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Bilbao is a good urban revitalization story, but when it comes to urban planning in general, I find Barcelona to be far better.

Old March 31st, 2006, 07:14 PM   #138
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
I love this line!!
BTW: Madrid have also an great subway system (third in europe, after London and Moscow)
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:51 PM   #139
Bsrt
Cheesehead member

Likes (Received): 0

I think Madrid is the best in Europe, and I can't say of the world because i don't know any system out of europe. And if we talk about the urban railway system, Madrid is so much better, because it has 13 metro lines, and 10 cercanías lines (metro-like system for the metropolitan aerea and the Madrid autonomic community). One of the best things is that lines don-t have more than two ends, one at each side of the line, so is a very easy using network.
Even it has some old stations, it has a lot of modern ones, and what about the trains, after 2007 everye line, except 6(circle line) and 1, and 5, would have modern trains, no one of them older than 5 years... Is a great system, and it is not small, it is bigger than Paris, but more extensive.
this is the map of the network today (only metro):
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM   #140
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 39

I think that the subway in Washington DC is boring, and nothing special, but one thing is nice: when the train comes, the lights on the platforms begins flashing, a kind of warning. I'll just like it.

Tags
subway