daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM   #101
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 509

there's a render of the vinoly scheme in london in todays' standard - not a very good one mind you. I have my doubts it will happen in this guise

Sponsored Links

Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM   #102
Medo

Likes (Received): 372

Here it is

Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM   #103
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 2775

Skyscrapernews.com has again updated the information on this tower, including a new rendering:

03 Mar 2006 > Vinoly Tower Proposed For 20 Fenchurch Street

A planning application has been filed today for the new tower to stand on 20 Fenchurch Street designed by Rafael Vinoly. The 192 metre tall tower to replace a current sixties mid-rise will contain 45 floors of space and is being developed by Land Securities.
The appearance is roughly that of a traditional internationalist block that has been contracted to the centre creating an inwards curving southern face and curving crown that also slopes to the south deferring itself to the Thames. Thanks to the look it's already being dubbed "the walkie talkie".
The project is being developed by one of the U.Ks largest property businesses, Land Securities at a cost of £200 million with Foster and Partners also onboard to help keep these down whilst maintaining build quality and the unique design.
The building has already been endorsed by local council, the Corporation of London, with Peter Rees stating that the City is adopting a "fruit basket" approach, whilst there are few murmurs of opposition from Heritage Bodies. It may not be the most graceful building ever thanks to the apparent squatness but the unique design will certainly help the City achieve their aim of a mix of avant-garde architecture.
Land Securities hope to secure an easy ride through the planning system and construction could begin on site as early as 2007 with completion for 2010 although a pre-let may be required to see the project commence despite the increasingly bullish attitude from the likes of Heron and British Land.

I can't say I really like the design at all, it may gow on me over time, but I doubt it. To be very honest with you, I could have designed a much better looking tower then that given 5 hours and a pen+paper! Still, it may get revisions, you never know!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #104
Sikario
Loopy Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

I quite like the curved part, but I think it's far too fat at the top and the sides.
Sikario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM   #105
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 186

I think it would alot better if the top was thinner, and if a tower or two were added between it and the dense cluster
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM   #106
Sikario
Loopy Londoner

A little sleeker -

Sikario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:32 PM   #107
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Can't say that looks a whole lot better; I mean, not matter how slim, or fat or short etc you make it, it still does not alter the fact that it is a pretty bland, uninteresting design that doesn't belong in the heart of London!

I am seriously hoping I will somehow learn to like the tower after I've seen it a few hundred times, or-the better option-they will totally redesign the whole thing!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:41 PM   #108
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6654

Horrendous.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:52 PM   #109
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 84

I don't think it's that bad. It's not very interesting but still, not the worst thing ever
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:58 PM   #110
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 9

I think its Vile
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:07 PM   #111
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
I don't think it's that bad. It's not very interesting but still, not the worst thing ever
It's very interesting IMO.

Still shit though.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #112
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 1

I think a nice boxy scraper, but clad with something other than glass or steel would be nice. Something a bit more traditional and classy.
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #113
Zaki
Joi Bangla

that design is horrible. If that gets built it will kill the that whole areas skyline. It was so nice without it.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #114
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki
that design is horrible. If that gets built it will kill the that whole areas skyline. It was so nice without it.
Completely agree - and not only that, but it will flood the market with yet more surplus office space. The City is already struggling to attract tenants without yet another whopping 200m+ tower.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #115
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

I wouldn't object to it as strongly if it were for the Canary Wharf area, but right in the heart of London, next to all those beatiful skyscrapers and low/mid-rise buildings....ahhhhh it doesn't bare thinking about! Come on English heritage, you gota pull somethin out the bag on this one, not just ure usual limp complaints, but a full on, chained to the building kinda protest!! Or good old Ken could prevent it I guess...

Who'd have thought that the arrival of a proposed 192m tower next to London's deveolping main cluster would cause so much dislike and objection... dammit why couldn't they have just yanked Foster himself away from whatever project he's currently working on, and say, 'design us a tower worth of London, mate'

Old March 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #116
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 442

Easy, guys. It's not the best, but it is still just 190m; it won't dominate. Rather, it will "fill up", and contrast the existing towers. It will be strange, but it won't be bad.

btw; why don't they build more residential scrapers in London? With those ancient, narrow streets, getting around the centre of the city is impossible above ground, and pretty hard below, as far as I remember it. Living in that cluster must be attractive to someone....

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #117
Dan1987

Nobody lives in the City, its a deadzone with no nightlife
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #118
London
New York

yeah. London has individual districts for individual activities.

The square mile - business
West End - Shopping
China Town - Restuarants... etc...

But all of that is gonna change with residential development being planned for the City.
Yet, i dont know how its gonna cope because the Centre of the City has no avenues, and it can get as packed as a carnival sometimes. But around the London wall area, there are avenues.
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #119
themongrel

the only resident in the square mile in ken livingston (his official mayors residence) i think if high rise flats start in london it'll be on the south bank. people tend to go for the midrises on the river instead

as for this new tower, its way to fat. i do like that slimeline version thou, back to the drawing board me thinks
themongrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #120
weird
vagamundo

I don't like it. Dissapointing design..
weird está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 fenchurch, fryscraper, london, the city, vinoly