search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #41
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 1193

The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #42
Socceroo

Likes (Received): 5

I like the renders of that tower that i have seen so far. But do you not think it looks a little "lost" when you see it in the aerial image that Crusty posted?
Socceroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #43
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 261

Minutes of the Dundas Wharf released yesterday.

http://www.glasgowcitycouncil.co.uk/...Tuesday&PAGE=1

The application site is to the north of the M8 motorway between the Garscube Road and Dobbies Loan underpasses. The application site is bounded to the north by Garscube Trading Estate, the southern extremity
of Speirs Wharf and Craighall Road. The proposed tower would be erected to the south of the re-aligned Craighall Road, east of the present southernmost extremity of Speirs Wharf and the lock presently under construction, and to the north of the canal basin presently under construction.
The existing land uses surrounding the site are the Port Dundas distillery, the Garscube Trading Estate and the residential and mixed uses at Speirs Wharf to the north. The M8 motorway corridor lies to the south.
The site of the proposed tower slopes down 6m from Craighall Road to the canal basin presently under construction. The proposed landscaping works at the east of the site are a steeply sloping area of landscaped
ground with an existing path network.
The site lies within the Woodlands and the Keppochhill Wards.

PROPOSAL
This application has been submitted for the erection of a mixed use development including residential and commercial floorspace with associated works including car parking and greenspace provision. The proposed scheme would see the erection of a 17 storey tower. The lower ground floor on the canal would accommodate x2 commercial units x1 (Class 4 –office) and x1 (Class 3 – Café) of 171m² and 103m² respectively with an open colonnade. The upper floors would provide residential accommodation in 102 flats. The tower (described as a 'shield') would have a number of elements on the south facing elevation towards the M8. The predominant element would be a metal rainscreen system. In addition, in the central element of this elevation there would be a Terracotta rainscreen system of a Dark Grey finish with a framing element of acrylic render. At the penthouse level it is proposed to include infill panels and clear fixed lights. The central element would have shallow steel outrigger balconies with hardwood timber decking. On the east and west elevations the main feature would be shallow balconies; again these would be steel outrigger balconies with hardwood timber decking. In addition this elevation would have a small return of the metal rainscreen system. The Terracotta rainscreen system – Dark Grey finish will frame the architectural elements on the elevations adjacent to the south elevation. The architectural elements on the elevations
adjacent to the to the north elevation would be framed in an acrylic render system with a vertical Terracotta rainscreen system – Dark Grey finish insert adjacent to the north elevation. The north elevation would have a central Terracotta rainscreen system – Dark Grey finish to be flanked by
acrylic render system panels. The single aspect flats on this elevation would be modelled to allow oblique views to the west. No balconies are proposed on the north elevation. The windows on all elevations would be aluminium finish with a mixture of inward opening French doors, tilt and turn windows with fixed lower panels and Juliet balconies. The level -1 would accommodate two commercial units; an office (Class 4) and a café (Class 3) [microwave
cooking only]. Levels 0 and 1 would accommodate x6 flats -: x2 dual aspect and x4 south facing single aspect flats. Levels 2 through 5 would accommodate x7 flats -: x4 dual aspect flats, x2 south facing single aspect flat and x1 north facing single aspect flat. Levels 6 through 13 The ground floor would accommodate x7 flats -: x4 dual aspect flats, x2 south facing single aspect flat and x1 north facing single aspect flat. Level 14 would
accommodate x6 flats -: x4 dual aspect flats, x1 north facing single aspect flat and x1 south facing single aspect flat. The x2 dual aspect flats at this level on the south elevation would have additional mezzanine accommodation forming penthouse flats. The type, aspect and floor areas of the flats are as follows: Floors 0 and 1 accommodate x6 single bedroom flats per floor with 4 of the flats on each floor being single aspect. The x2 remaining flats are dual aspect flats with floor spaces of 46m² and 50.6m² respectively. The single aspect flats have floor spaces of 38.2m², 39.7m², 38.9m² and 42.7m². On floors 2 through 5 it is proposed that formation of x1 3 bedroom dual aspect flat per floor with floor area 83.6m², x3 2 bedroom dual aspect flats per floor of 74.7m², 71.0m² and 72.0m² floor area x2 1 bedroom south facing single aspect flats of floor area 45.5m² and 46.0m² and x1 1 bedroom north facing single aspect flat with a floor area of 46.0m². On floors 6 through 13 it is proposed that formation of x1 3 bedroom dual aspect flat per floor with floor area 83.6m², x3 2 bedroom dual aspect flats per floor of 74.7m², 71.0m² and
72.0m² floor area x2 1 bedroom south facing single aspect flats of floor area 45.5m² and 46.0m² and x1 1 bedroom north facing single aspect flat with a floor area of 43.3m². The 14 floor is in part over two levels and comprises of x2 dual aspect 2 bedroom flats of 75.0m² and 71.3m², x1 north facing 1 bedroom single aspect flat of 46.0m², x2 duplex dual aspect 2 bedroom flats with mezzanine of 73.7m² and 73.8m²and x1 south facing single aspect 2 bedroom flat of 70.0m².

Last edited by M_Riaz; February 18th, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM   #44
M_Riaz
MORI

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5049205.html

Luxury flats given the go-ahead

Quote:
A 17-STOREY block of luxury flats which will be seen from much of Glasgow has been given the go-ahead despite a flood of objections.
Almost 160 people, Glasgow MSPs Patricia Ferguson, Bill Aitken, Sandra White and Robert Brown and House of Commons Speaker Michael Martin raised concerns about the £12million development.
They questioned the scale of the building on a site between the Forth and Clyde canal and Port Dundas basin on the edge of the M8.
Objectors and developer Isis Waterside Regeneration, a firm set up by British Waterways and private investors, were invited to address the city council's planning committee before a decision was made on the housing project.
Barry Divers, representing residents of nearby Spiers Wharf, said: "We support regeneration of the canal and live in the middle of Scotland's most successful canal regeneration project.
"However this development is using the cloak of regeneration to throw up a tower and squeeze as many people as possible into a building to make as much money as possible."
But Isis managing director Mark Ryder told the meeting: "We are not technically developers and are not interested in short-term profits. We are about long-term regeneration.
"What we are doing is creating communities and places that are vibrant, active, well managed and well built which will stand the test of time and be here in 200 years along with Spiers Wharf."
When questioned about the height of the tower Mr Ryder said: "It is a balance between getting a high enough tower to act as a beacon and economic viability."

22/02/06
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #45
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 582

I haven't put any input into this subject so far (probably a good thing) as I have been largely undecided as too whether I like it or not.

The tower looks pretty good, but I'm worried that considering it's position and backdrop, it'll look pretty out of place perched up there looking down over the city.

I don't suppose there is a rendering of what it will look like from driving down the M8, or better still, the city centre?
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:12 AM   #46
M_Riaz
MORI

There ye go.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:22 AM   #47
crusty_bint
control yourself

I'd like to see one from Hope St at Sauchiehall St... Hope St frames the distillery chimney right from its southern edge and all the way up... wonder if we'll get the same effect with this tower? I quite like it (as a premice), why not have a tower on a hill? It'll certainly add something positive to the skyline at the very least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM   #48
Longstreet

Likes (Received): 0

I like it....I say build it....for a rare victory over nimbyism.
Longstreet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM   #49
blackdrake

Hello All, Yes, I’m back!
No, I’m not happy.

ISIS did not have any letters of support, or if they did, they kept it a secret. In fact, Design & Architecture Scotland had concerns over Dundas Wharf.

Thanks for the link to the ISIS Islington Wharf site in Manchester, I agree it’s far superior, at least it seems that ISIS have put some thought into developing a community here, including proper mixed use – not just an office (which ISIS intend to inhabit) and a café.
One of the main points people criticise Speirs Wharf for is the lack of amenities. I agree, however, ISIS are not creating “vibrant communities” by sticking another (at least) 347 flats in the vicinity with the merest nod to mixed use (obviously squashed in to help sway planning permission). Let’s not forget the Meridian Site at the end of Craighall Road, the masterplan for this shows over 600 flats – Any retail/leisure? No of course not! Add this to the apartment blocks proposed by ISIS AFTER New Rotterdam Wharf and you can chuck in another 300 flats. Oh yes, lets not forget the site next to Meridian and Jewsons on Craighall Road – this has been earmarked for another Tower. Then there is Craighall Business Park – it’s still getting built. All in all – the future for this little bit of Craighall Road is a huge increase in traffic, lots of flats, some office units and…. not much else. In my mind – that’s not a community – vibrant or otherwise.

The people who objected to Dundas Tower (not all from Speirs Wharf I may add) were not objecting because it blocks the view from our flats – it doesn’t. I won’t even be able to see the wretched edifice from my flat, thankfully. So please – no more of this nimby crap. We have made it quite clear in our objections that we are in favour of regeneration of this area. Objections were based on material considerations: parking provision well below that allowed by the council (only 91%), inability of present infrastructure to cope, height, scale and massing not within guidelines for local area. In addition the noise levels so close to the M8 mean that residents of Dundas Wharf won’t be able to open their windows without exceeding the allowed decibel levels. The access road for Speirs Wharf is to be shared with these 102 flats. The traffic chaos that already occurs on a daily basis here is intolerable; it’s going to get considerably worse.
Let’s think about the lovely new basin and lock, want to come up and visit it? Well, firstly – there’s no visitor parking so don’t come by car. How about a walk? Or a sit down and bite to eat at the water’s edge? It’s a bit noisy with the motorway isn’t it? No seats? Why? Oh it’s too windy to have seating up here and the café only has permission to sell crappy microwaved food anyway. So why did we come here again?
Hmm, makes for a nice visit doesn’t it? ISIS says they want to increase boat traffic to the area; did they meet with canal users/boaters? Nope! Well, not till the day after planning permission was given. There has been very little public consultation, and what there has been has been a sham, a box ticking exercise.

A word on living at Speirs Wharf. Yes, we have original cast iron pillars in some rooms – it’s called original features, character and I like them. The rooms are by no means “pokey” I looked at 7 flats here before buying this one and the proportions were very good – not one single room – all double. If you want to see pokey rooms then go visit Dundas Wharf when it’s built. Before Speirs Wharf was renovated I used to think from the back it was a prison too, but certainly not from the front. One of our points of objection with both ISIS proposals is that Speirs Wharf will not be seen from Glasgow anymore – I can see that a few of you think that’s a good thing – I honestly can’t see why – it’s a lovely old building. I’m afraid you are wrong Socceroo - the views from Speirs Wharf are exceptional – particularly for a city centre location. The view is enjoyed by the residents of Speirs Wharf but also by the many walkers, joggers, fishermen, boaters and cyclists who up till now have come up to the canal to enjoy the view and appreciate a little bit of “ruralness” within the urban sprawl. The view for public and residents alike will be gone (completely – not partially) if New Rotterdam Wharf gets permission. And as I have already said – yes, we are happy to see that the area will be regenerated – but would like to see a more sympathetic approach – buildings which complement, not dominate existing buildings. At least a nod to the industrial history of the area and the local character. This is not unreasonable – in fact it is precisely the advice given in the Glasgow City Council City Plan and Waterscape Strategy for Port Dundas Area.

At least 5 of the councillors at the planning meeting had their wits and common sense about them when they rejected the proposal for Dundas Wharf. Unfortunately the other 13 didn’t seem interested in ensuring that this valuable Glasgow site gets first class treatment.
One last word – it’s not about house prices rising or falling, I am not that shallow. The price I could get for my flat is irrelevant, at present the question is COULD I even sell it? Living in Speirs Wharf for the last year and a half has been noisy and dirty and very inconvenient with road closures, constant building work noise and dust etc. Dundas Tower is expected to begin late summer. Then if ISIS get their evil way with the planning dept. again we can expect New Rotterdam Wharf (3 large blocks of flats) to start. (and so on…) Living up here has changed already – from a fairly tranquil (for the location) place to building site hell. I doubt there are many living here who are relishing the thought of several more years of it. I don’t, would you?

Last edited by blackdrake; March 1st, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
blackdrake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM   #50
aland
aland

the project was presented to the sustainability forum on Friday, first time I've seen the whole thing, in context.

Looked very interesting to me, well thought out.
aland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #51
crusty_bint
control yourself

Mate... I share your enthusiasm for Port Dundas, I truely do, but you really come over as a back-lashing NIMBY in your above post. Everything in life is a comprimise. Perhaps if your objections (of most which I have read) had taken a more constructive form then your argument would actually have a basis. 1960's (or should I say 1940's?) planning and road-traffic management should not impede on development today. It's a battle every day to to park on my Edwardian street in the heart of the densest tenemental Conservation Area in Glasgow but that's the comprimise I accepted when I chose to live within an existing and historic streetscape and infrastructure. I moan every day to myself about it but I have no regrets ...other than keeping a dog.

I really wish there was something in your post I could agree with you on as I really did wish you the best of success in your plight, alas I can only empathise with your frustrations. Welcome to "I Loathe and Despise Custom House Quay Land"...it sucks like a ***** on a pirate ship.

Crusty

Last edited by crusty_bint; March 2nd, 2006 at 05:24 AM. Reason: pished and judgement cannae be trusted.... u should see wot I deleted haha
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #52
allytheally

Questions...

I had a few questions I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to answer. In no particular order here goes...

1. When is Dundas Wharf due to be completed?

2. Has Rotterdam Wharf been approved or is it still in planning?

3. When will Rotterdam Wharf be completed? When will building work around Speirs Wharf be finished? Why the feck is it going to be called Rotterdam Wharf? That's a really daft name if you ask me.

4. There was talk of improved links to the city center... does anyone know what these are going to be? Walking under the motorway at the moment is pretty uninspiring and it feels a bit dodgy. The path up to Speirs Wharf is littered with discarded booze bottles and cans. Was the stuff about improved links just bullshit to get the planning approved? Where's the detail?

5. Is this project ever likely to be a 'little Venice' with houseboats and cafes and bars etc... or was some planner getting a little carried away with him/herself... i'm not sure how that will happen since it's right next to a motorway. Who wants to take a stroll up to 'little Venice' if you need to walk under a motorway and up a dodgy path fearing that you may get mugged.

6. What's the deal with that big chimney behind speirs wharf. What is it? It must be a bad area to live in with polution... right?

7. What are my chances of being mugged walking to and from the center?

8. Why are there lots of for sale signs pinned to Speirs Wharf? Wouldn't you want to stay put if propery prices were going to rise?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers. I saw a Speirs Wharf flat for sale in the gspc recently. I liked the look of the flat but there are so many questions around this area right now it's hard to know whether it's worth taking it further.
allytheally no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:03 AM   #53
Cedar Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by my kitten
Well at least it blocks the view of that awful block.
Well I happen to live in one of those "awful block[s]" and I find comments like that totally distasteful, and reeking of classism! Moreover I think my home has more aethetically going for it than almost any of the current tower block designs we see put forward for housing yuppies. Take a trip down to the tower building and take a good look at my estate at sunrise if you don't believe me.

At any rate I've been monitoring these threads for some time and apart from being disgusted at the total lack of humanism, the houses for a people without a land in a land with no people classism and so forth I have yet to see anyone present the major competant reasons for why this development (New Dundas Wharf) and the rest of these rank piles should be opposed.

My area (the st George's Estate) has seen a 52% underspend by the GHA, the lifts in the tower blocks I live in break down constantly and the level of disregard generally is outrageous. There are innumerable problems (too many to list, and not that any of you would care with your distasteful love for flash animations showing the destruction of social housing), most of which you'd find in any working class area in Britain today. If perhaps funding priorities were less skewed towards cronyism, graft and handing out packets to the likes of Amec then perhaps the social disintegration of working class communities might be less advanced.

However as regards this lunacy, it is the thin end of the wedge. The st George's Estate is not to be included in a pilot of second stage transfer to take place in the forthcoming financial year. We have seen an underspend totalling over 930,000 pounds, and now we see 12 million pounds of public money being pumped into building houses for yuppies, in part of a scheme, which if it gets the go-ahead will cost 100 million.

[It is no great coincidence that the land my house sits on is owned by the city council, and as a condition of the stock transfer it will be theirs to sell if the GHA demolishes my house as part of their 29000 houses demolition plan. GHA has no significant plans to build any houses by the way, so all that social housing will be lost for good.]

Mark my words these grafters at the council, Malik and the rest, have their sights set on my estate, and that's what the real debate should be about. All this talk of 'building a community' is just a thinly veiled mask for clearing one, and we're not about to give up on our community without a fight. It's wrong, it's venal, it's social engineering based on ruling class revanchism and it should be opposed by every moral human being.

We need working class solutions to housing for the vast majority of the people of this city, not corporate welfare and dated, modernist copper-fronted towerblocks purchased at great cost by the working people of this land for yuppies that don't exist.
Cedar Street no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:31 AM   #54
crusty_bint
control yourself

You have a point Cedar St (which is why I voted no for the housing transfer!) but I find the tone of your post more than distasteful. I wouldn't and shouldn't go spouting my mouth off so readily when you know nothing about who any of us are or where we live!

Yuppies? In 2006?

Old March 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #55
my kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Street
Well I happen to live in one of those "awful block[s]" and I find comments like that totally distasteful, and reeking of classism! Moreover I think my home has more aethetically going for it than almost any of the current tower block designs we see put forward for housing yuppies. Take a trip down to the tower building and take a good look at my estate at sunrise if you don't believe me.
So in order to make a comment about any type of building you have to live in it?

Just as well I live in an awful tower block too then, seems I'm qualified.

There are some horrid designs out there both past/present and proposed and I'm sure you'll agree that we should assist in pointing out any errors/perceived problems etc to the designers/developers and do some joined up thinking before things go to far down the line.

As for GHA, fighting your community's corner is what to do, its what we've all done when we have lived in community's that have been regenerated/transformed.
my kitten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #56
gleegie
Urban Realm

Likes (Received): 8

Rotterdam Wharf looks diff

gleegie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #57
M_Riaz
MORI

ET

Kids' canal project in full flow

YOUNG Kieran Sharpe smiles as he shows off the 3D map he helped create showing the latest regeneration plans for the Forth and Clyde Canal.

Kieran, 8, is one of 60 pupils from three primary schools in north Glasgow involved in making the giant map of proposed work on the canal corridor between Port Dundas and Maryhill.

The model is made from polystyrene, card, paint and paper and was on show at Maryhill Community Halls as part of a special day of events aimed at informing local residents about the ambitious plans.

KIERAN SHARPE has the future all mapped out.
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #58
M_Riaz
MORI

Minutes of the Forth and Clyde Canal Local Development Strategy:Item 8

Quote:
Purpose of Report:
To seek approval of the Consultative Draft Local Development Strategy for the Forth and Clyde Canal, and of the proposed arrangements for consultation.

Recommendations:
That Committee notes progress on the preparation of the Local Development Strategy; approves the Consultative Draft Local Place Change; and agrees to the use of Local Place Change, merged with the previously approved Strategic Overview, as the Consultative Draft Local Development Strategy for engagement with local communities and a wide range of stakeholders.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #59
Socceroo

Likes (Received): 5

I see in tonight's Evening Times that the Port Dundas Tower has been scrapped :

"Developers have ripped up plans for a £12million skyscraper on the banks of a Glasgow canal after a storm of protest".
Socceroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #60
tommy_boy

A wise move - that design was particluarly poor. not inspiring architecture from the rmjm lads. however i hear it was rushed through to meet the old regs. Still if they had tarted it up a bit then maybe it would have been ok.
tommy_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: