daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM   #1
FLD

Likes (Received): 0

Visual promotion of Birmingham

If anyone was to promote the city, what image, whether it be the entire central skyline, or a collection of buildings or street scene, or even just a single building would you choose. Either well known existing images of the city, or any of your own would be interesting to see. (Sensible pictures only please ..... this is a promotional exercise!)
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 50

A single, tantalising glimpse of a disc from Selfridges...
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM   #3
FLD

Good, good start Bio, any more anyone? If we were to promote the city, say ... in Tokyo to tap in to the lucritive Japanese tourist market, what typical image or images of Birmingham would you use to "show off" the city to it's best advantage?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Sonny97

Brindley Place for me - such a great composite of new fusion office buildings, water fountains, apartments, bars, restaurants, canals, walkways and of course the close proximity of the ICC, SH, NIA and SLC -something for everyone in Brindley Place
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #5
di Livio

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD
Good, good start Bio, any more anyone? If we were to promote the city, say ... in Tokyo to tap in to the lucritive Japanese tourist market, what typical image or images of Birmingham would you use to "show off" the city to it's best advantage?
You could go for modernity, showing images of Selfridges or HCT (which is the image i have on my phone right now). Or, if it's a tourist market which is located in one of the world's most modern cities, history could be more appealling.

As someone who isn't from Birmingham, but loves to go there, I'm attracted to the Mailbox/Brindley Place area, which is a good mix of old and new. I also like the area around the cathedral, with the large Parisian-looking hotel.

Anyone coming to the country will be travelling to New Street, so the Bullring has to figure in there somewhere. But, also (i'm writing this at speed, so i could be waffling), the surrounding area of Birmingham has a lot to offer. Mention Shakespeare to Japanese or American tourists and they'll be drooling. Shopping at the Bullring, a few drinks at the back of the Mailbox, staying overnight in Radisson HCT, and then on to Stratford to the RSC. Is that not one of the best weekend breaks in Europe?
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM   #6
FLD

That sounds great. You're right about the fact that people coming from an ultra modern city like Tokyo will not be (or may be, if they are of our mind) interested in modern office buildings or hotels ..... unless they happen to be staying in one of them that is. They will be interested to learn if the city functions well, for example, if it has great shopping, superb restaurants, lively night life or excellent theatre and concert facilities.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM   #7
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 61

I'd go for the classic, Victoria Square, the Town Hall, Council House and the Floozy.
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM   #8
FLD

Yes, that area looks superb ..... even better when the wraps are taken off the £37million renovation of the town hall.

Has anyone got any actual pictures of these areas they would want to promote, either conventional or abstract?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Sponger-J
BANNED

i had a look at the promotional video posted earlier and I have to say it was very impressive. I would use Hyatt and Centenary Square it distingushes Birmingham ... modern and entertaining.
Sponger-J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #10
FLD

Yes, the city planners actually got it right in this area for once!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 11

city of contrasts.. old and new, glass and bricks..

Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM   #12
FLD

That's really cool.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Biosonic
Second Citizen

That will do nicely!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #14
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 25

^
The best view of St Martins in the Bull ring is from the bus stops by the markets.. you can get a good shot of the Church and the square in front of the Bullring with the selfridges building in the background - same sort of thing as above but a little more easy identifiable for a tourist

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM   #15
Sonny97

don't know if its just me, but that close-up pic above reminds me of a dalek for some reason
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:20 AM   #16
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 213

I think the one scene that best describes Brum is the view from Gas St Wharf looking up to the Hyatt with the old chimney stack / warehouse / now restaurant in the foreground and the wheel disappearing into the side of the Hyatt.
This takes in our heritage / industry / ingenuity / modernity / style / contrast of business and tranquility etc. Where else can one mix the office blocks of the Hagley Road with the white rendered Regency of Edgbaston? Or the metal bashers of Nechells mixed in with the Jacobean era of Aston Hall? Nowhere in the UK.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:50 AM   #17
pauliewalnuts

Likes (Received): 1

Surely the juxtaposition of St Martins and Selfridges. Says it all really. The sprucing up of St Martins is amongst the best things to emerge from the bullring redevelopment.

I remember seeing it for years, sitting there looking black. In fact, i thought it was MEANT to be black, I had no idea it was years of pollution that had done it.

Seeing it cleaned up and "opened up" after the bullring reopened was absolutely brilliant.
pauliewalnuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:54 AM   #18
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Paulie - I heard a story that is was MEANT to be black. I believe it was tarred during the second world war to prevent the Luftwaffe using it as a navigation point, and they never cleaned it afterwards.

It makes me think they should have left a small section of the building (maybe a single stone) black...
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:42 AM   #19
pauliewalnuts

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
Paulie - I heard a story that is was MEANT to be black. I believe it was tarred during the second world war to prevent the Luftwaffe using it as a navigation point, and they never cleaned it afterwards.

It makes me think they should have left a small section of the building (maybe a single stone) black...
Really? That's a cool story if correct. I agree, a small black section left as a nod to its history would have been a great idea.

In general, I love the way it has now been opened up, and allowed to 'breathe'. I wonder how visitor figures have risen since the redevelopment.
pauliewalnuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM   #20
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 61

When I first saw it i was amazed i thought it was supposed to be black. I really like that whole area. The statue of Nelson is ace.
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote