daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Old March 21st, 2006, 11:06 PM   #561
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubieTurtle

...Novare actually took a trip to Chicago to see how things were done on Michigan Avenue so expect to see that influence on their buildings from now on.
I haven't been to downtown Chicago in almost twenty years, but I used to drive down from Wisconsin with friends and we'd always walk around North Michigan Avenue, where the awesome collection of retail stores where and hopefully still are.

The Water Tower Place is on Michigan Ave., but the stores are inside. It is about six stories tall and had a lot of very cool retail.

I don't remember all the interesting stores along Michigan Ave between the John Hancock building and the river (traditional retail boundaries of downtown), but I was mostly interested in Sharper Image type stores at the time because we didn't have them in Wisconsin. There was one store called Hammacher Schlemmer (now that is a German name) which outdid Sharper Image by a longshot.

North Michigan Avenue has rivaled the great shopping streets in other US cities for at least 25 years that I know of. It will take a lot of GREAT retail, as Aubie Turtle says, before any part of Peachtree Street is in that league.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:43 AM   #562
Chris121091
Category 10

Likes (Received): 0

Could it be that Atlanta is entering it's "BOOM"? With all the proposed buildings and good many under construction, we are entering a period much like Miami.
Chris121091 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:38 AM   #563
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 1

I hope not!! Miami's boom has benefitted only a few "flippers" who buy and sell condos before the buildings have even begun construction. I'll take development that is in line with demand, that way prices can move up at a decent 5-7% a year. If you want to "flip" go to McDonalds!!
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #564
johnatl

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
I haven't been to downtown Chicago in almost twenty years, but I used to drive down from Wisconsin with friends and we'd always walk around North Michigan Avenue, where the awesome collection of retail stores where and hopefully still are.

The Water Tower Place is on Michigan Ave., but the stores are inside. It is about six stories tall and had a lot of very cool retail.

I don't remember all the interesting stores along Michigan Ave between the John Hancock building and the river (traditional retail boundaries of downtown), but I was mostly interested in Sharper Image type stores at the time because we didn't have them in Wisconsin. There was one store called Hammacher Schlemmer (now that is a German name) which outdid Sharper Image by a longshot.

North Michigan Avenue has rivaled the great shopping streets in other US cities for at least 25 years that I know of. It will take a lot of GREAT retail, as Aubie Turtle says, before any part of Peachtree Street is in that league.

Nick - North Michigan would just blow you away today. It's everything you remember, only a couple of levels higher now. Watertower is now dwarfed by a couple of vertical malls (Chicago Place & 900 North) that are amazing design-wise. Lot's of "brands" have very impressive flagship stores. The landscaping/streetscape is gorgeous, the crowds bustling and impressive. The adjacent side streets (especially towards the lake) are filled with massive vertical condos and apartments. It has evolved IMO into Americas grandest downtown boulevard.
johnatl no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #565
Plasticman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
I think the King & Queen look really great, especially where they are located. The whole Perimeter Center area, but especially the K & Q look best in the early hours of the night heading north on 400 as you approach I-285.
I'm not saying they aren't eye catching. I see them several times a year from the very spot you describe. In fact they just appear out of nowhere making someone who isn't expecting them to go "wow!" I guess out of place isn't right....just not in an expected location. But wow nonetheless.
Plasticman no está en línea