daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #81
Epi

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
Sorry but building with LEGO (at least to me) is a lot cooler than hanging out in an online forum
LOL! Sad but true, I think we can all agree with that here.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM   #82
Filip
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

True, but I could not face my friends if my basement has a wonderful array of lego.. Although some might join me
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM   #83
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
True, but I could not face my friends if my basement has a wonderful array of lego.. Although some might join me
hahahaha I suppose so.

Well if I were a parent (oh, wait, I am one now) .... I would say "I think you may want to consider who your real friends are"

Sigh...there's another new thing for me to learn ... talking like a parent.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. klangvalley.transit@gmail.com
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM   #84
ACT7

Likes (Received): 51

So I guess Puma on Bloor is closed. Kind of surprising since Montreal and Vancouver still have a store. I wonder if they will be moving to Queen West or something.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #85
ACT7

The old Walter Steiger is officially leased. I'm guessing that's where Dior will go. Here's hoping...
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:05 AM   #86
Filip
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
The old Walter Steiger is officially leased. I'm guessing that's where Dior will go. Here's hoping...
Really? Wow.. I wonder what!

It's a pretty small space for Dior. I guess it wouldn't be a full service boutique.. Just a few handbags and shoes then...
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM   #87
Filip
BANNED

My OCD has led me to this which has led me to a nice little map (very informative by the by!)

Louis Vuitton IS going into the space by the church! Now to bet on what will take over the poor bastardized Victorian carcass left by Louis Vuitton.

http://www.avisonyoung.com/library/p...omas_Flyer.pdf
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:47 AM   #88
ACT7

The former Levis at Yonge and Dundas has a work permit on it too (old news, I know) but that might be a good location for a relocated Puma.

You're right, that may be a small space for Dior so the old LV may be a new Dior. Is it confirmed that Links of London is taking the old Mac spot too, or was that a rumour?

Lots changing...
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:39 AM   #89
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6342

Excellent find, Fil. Bloor St is just the wrong match for Puma. Way too high end a street. Would be far better at Yonge and Dundas, where people who wear those shoes shop. Ditto for Nike.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #90
Travis007

Likes (Received): 54

Speaking of Lego, check out how artists have used it to sprucen up a few of out city's neglected planters. (Amongst other interesting/fun designs)

http://www.blogto.com/arts/2011/05/t...or_street_art/
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #91
Travis007

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_be...za_in_toronto/

The Best Pizza in Toronto

Posted by Robyn Urback / MAY 24, 2011

Quote:
The best pizza in Toronto will ignite your craving with just a mention--guaranteed. In fact, I'm almost tempted to ditch this post and go grab myself a slice before my overactive salivary glands begin to impede my ability to type. Pizza--especially good pizza--is just that persuasive. Oh well, I'll trudge on.

The best pizza has all the non-negotiables in one; a fresh crust, delicious sauce, perfectly melted cheese, and carefully chosen toppings. In my eyes, a pizzeria is best marked by the quality of its margherita, though I'll never turn my head from a good pizza capricciosa. Whether you're looking for the former or the latter, these are a few places known to do them best.

Here's the list of the best pizza in Toronto.
Here is the top ranked place: Pizzeria Libretto. Check link for info/photos of the others..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7198137...7607026753489/
Photos by yoyodyne7 on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #92
ACT7

I know it seems like I'm obsessed with the Puma store closing but I'm really not
It doesn't look like they have any plans to relocate - as per their Mississauga head office. They weren't too forthcoming with information as to why they closed on Bloor, only to telling me they have an outlet in Cookstown and that their concept stores in Montreal and Vancouver are still around. I agree that it doesn't belong on Bloor, but it strikes me as odd that Toronto couldn't support a Puma store anywhere in the city.
If anyone has any other info, please shed some light on this.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #93
Filip
BANNED

They'll definitely reopen, probably near Yonge/Dundas or Queen St.

They didn't belong on Bloor and their margins weren't high enough for the rents charged.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #94
Taller, Better
Administrator

That is my guess, too. I don't see it as an issue that people in Toronto don't buy Pumas; more of an issue that it was a poorly selected location.
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #95
Travis007

http://www.blogto.com/cafes/fahrenhe...oronto?refresh

Espresso bar arrives on the Esplanade: Fahrenheit Coffee

Posted by Robyn Urback / MAY 26, 2011

Quote:
Fahrenheit Coffee is committed to the perfect coffee experience. That's because owner Sameer Mohamed has long been judged on his ability to serve the perfect cup. Literally judged, that is.

"Yes, those are my awards," he says when I ask him about the trophies displayed in his new cafe on the Esplanade. "I've competed in barista championships both regionally and nationally. And I'm training my staff to compete as well."

http://www.blogto.com/fashion/dutil-toronto

Dutil Denim

Posted by Robyn Urback / REVIEWED ON MAY 25, 2011

Quote:
Dutil Denim is denim floor to ceiling, quite literally. With stacks of jeans, shorts, overalls, shirts, and remnants rolled up near the ceiling, you won't find anything of another creed in this West Queen West boutique.

"We wanted to be exclusively denim," co-owner Darrin Kenigsberg tells me as I check out the space a day before it's set to open. "It's a commodity no one focuses on exclusively, so we wanted to do that."
Quote:
"This was the only place I wanted to open," Darrin says, referring to West Queen West. And having lived in Toronto, he knows the area. "There's a good mix of traffic; we're right by Dufflet, and lots of other really great places." Of course, he makes one distinction. "We want to be a friendly place, though," he says. "We're totally against stores where they don't even say 'hi' when you walk in the door."
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #96
Travis007

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...locations?bn=1

Target unveils six Toronto locations

2011/05/26 10:07:00
Dana Flavelle
Business Reporter

Quote:
CHICAGO — Target Corp has signed leases on 105 locations in Canada, the giant U.S. retailer announced early Thursday.

The stores are located in all 10 provinces across the country, Target Canada president Tony Fisher told a press conference.
Quote:
The locations include 45 stores in Ontario, with six in Toronto. They are in Cloverdale Mall, Shoppers World Danforth, East York Town Centre, Bridlewood Mall, Centrepoint Mall and Woodbine Centre.
Quote:
The popular chain also said it would announce a second wave of stores in September.

The first stores are expected to open in the spring of 2013.
Quote:
The Minneapolis-based firm announced in January it was acquiring the leasehold rights to 220 Zellers store locations for $1.85 billion. It is a real estate transaction and Target is not acquiring the stores. Zellers has said it will continue to operate the 70 sites Target is not acquiring.

The cheap chic department store retailer, known for high style at low prices, also said it has secure a head office for its Canadian team in Mississauga.
Quote:
The Target Canada team is made up entirely of executives of its U.S. operations but it expects to hire tens of thousands of “qualified Canadians” including senior leaders, Fisher said.

Each store will employ 100 to 150 people.

The stores will continue to operate as Zellers for the time being. About six to nine months prior to reopening as Targets, the stores will close for renovations. The retailer expects to spend at least $10 million converting each site.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #97
flange

Likes (Received): 707

Quote:
The Bay sews up rights to U.K. fashion stores Topshop and Topman

Wed Mar 9 2011

Dana Flavelle

Business Reporter

The Bay is bringing British fashion retailer Topshop and Topman to Canada, the department store confirmed early Wednesday.

The announcement ends months of speculation about the U.K. fashion leader, internationally renowned for collaborating with young designers and also some of history’s most iconic fashion names, including Celia Birtwell and Kate Moss.

Topshop brand began testing Canadian waters last June at

Jonathan + Olivia, a trend-setting store on Ossington Ave. at Queen St. W., following a pattern it has established in other markets of launching its collections in an existing store before opening its own.

A spokesperson for Jonathan + Olivia, which carries a selection of Topshop’s well-priced womenswear and menswear, footwear and cosmetics, wasn’t immediately available for comment on whether the deal means the end of that relationship.

The Bay says it has secured the exclusive franchise rights for Canada, allowing it to open both shops within its own stores and also stand-alone stores, the retailer said.

The Bay plans to open its first Topshop this fall in Toronto, likely in a Bay store in Yorkdale or Sherway shopping centre’s or the Bay’s flagship store on Toronto’s Queen St., the company said.

But it sees room for between 30 and 50 across Canada, The Bay’s president and chief executive officer Bonnie Brooks said in an interview.

“Every landlord in the country is going to want a Topshop,” she said, predicting it could lift sales in mall-based Bay stores by as much as 10 per cent in the first year.

The exclusive arrangement will be good for The Bay, said Richard Talbot, a retail consultant with Talbot International Consultants Inc.

“They’re marketing and merchandising hits all the right buttons. They’re very popular in the U.K. and Europe,” Talbot said.

However, it will all increase competition for other retailers in an already crowded segment, he said. Topshop could take sales away from Reitmans, Zara and others, Talbot said.

Brooks, who has spent her two years at The Bay revitalizing the moribund department store with new designers, described Topshop and Topman as having a “brave and irreverent approach to style.”

The shops within the Bay stores could range in size from 5,000 to 20,000 square feet and can be multilevel, with their own internal access between floors to maintain the brand image, she said.

“There’s a real feel to it,” she said. “It’s quite unique in the marketplace. When you come in you can feel the pulse.”

Topshop will add a contemporary, affordable line to The Bay’s growing range of merchandise, which includes haute couture labels as well as moderately priced items.

Topman is a men’s store also focused on fashion forward trends.

In addition to bringing a new brand to Canada’s fashion market, the deal solves a problem for some of The Bay’s larger stores, particularly its flagship store in downtown Toronto, namely excess space.

“We’ve wanted to open a stand-alone store in Canada for some time and the large site within The Bay allows us to bring the full Topshop experience to the customer in an undiluted way,” said Mary Homer, managing director for Topshop.

Topshop and Topman operate in 37 countries, including a flagship store in New York, which opened in April 2009.
http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...hop-and-topman
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:05 AM   #98
Taller, Better
Administrator

Dinner was a bit of a special celebratory occasion tonight, so we went to Greektown!

Taramasalta:

Saganaki:

Lamb Chop dinner:

It was so amazing, and so delicious, and of course too much food so we had to
bring half of it home!!
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:09 AM   #99
Taller, Better
Administrator

Dining at Eaton Centre in 1984 looked a bit scary, with all that big hair and shoulderpads and glitter!!

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM   #100
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 56272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Dinner was a bit of a special celebratory occasion tonight, so we went to Greektown!

It was so amazing, and so delicious, and of course too much food so we had to
bring half of it home!!
Glad to read that you liked those Greek foods; thanks for the photos btw
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote