daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Development News

Old May 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM   #4221
fubo

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoastTransplant View Post
Rocco Termini purchased the Lafayette Hotel on Friday. Wonder how many immigrants will fill the 115 apartments planned on the upper floors.
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM   #4222
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
Sad but true: Given the massive build-up of Homeland Security Border Guards & ICE forces around WNY, being on an international border has only accelerated the region’s decline.
I could not have said it better. Things were much better when all you needed was any old ID to pass between Canada and the U.S. I think they should go back to the way it was pre 911. Non of the terrorists even entered through Canada. All the necessary checks are done at our international ports in both countries so why should we continue the added check at our borders. I remember taking day trips down to NFO with friends and on a whim crossing over the border to do a bit of shopping. Those days are over if you don't have an updated passport. For this reason a GO train between the two cities will never work. Unless things change NFO is as close as GO will get to Buffalo.

Also -- 5 Guys is so overated IMO.

Old May 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM   #4223
steel

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
I could not have said it better. Things were much better when all you needed was any old ID to pass between Canada and the U.S. I think they should go back to the way it was pre 911. Non of the terrorists even entered through Canada. All the necessary checks are done at our international ports in both countries so why should we continue the added check at our borders. I remember taking day trips down to NFO with friends and on a whim crossing over the border to do a bit of shopping. Those days are over if you don't have an updated passport. For this reason a GO train between the two cities will never work. Unless things change NFO is as close as GO will get to Buffalo.

Also -- 5 Guys is so overated IMO.

Just went to 5 guys yesterday for the first time I and I have to whole hartedly agree

My new book on Buffalo architecture is available here:
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/692851

See it here:
http://www.buffbuildings.com
steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM   #4224
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 52

Work on the Educ. Opp. Center on Ellicott Street is underway.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:47 AM   #4225
AndrewJM3D

Nice little building.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:31 AM   #4226
fubo

Instead of faux 19th century copies for canalside Buffalo would be far better served to emulate Columbus Indiana.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:29 AM   #4227
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Work on the Educ. Opp. Center on Ellicott Street is underway.
what address is that going to be?
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM   #4228
ECoastTransplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
what address is that going to be?
It'll be connected to the M.Wile building (left on rendering)- so Ellicott just south of Goodell.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM   #4229
AndrewJM3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
Instead of faux 19th century copies for canalside Buffalo would be far better served to emulate Columbus Indiana.

They never work well. I wonder if city planners have ever hopped in a car and driven up to Toronto to see the Distillery. Another model Canal Side could emulate.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM   #4230
fubo

Quote:
They never work well. I wonder if city planners have ever hopped in a car and driven up to Toronto to see the Distillery. Another model Canal Side could emulate.
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local...ht-to-columbus
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4231
bayviews

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Rocco Termini purchased the Lafayette Hotel on Friday. Wonder how many immigrants will fill the 115 apartments planned on the upper floors.

I've no idea. But I imagine more than a few.

However, I'd guess that anyone named Rocco Termini can't be more than a few generations removed from immigration.

And now he's one of Buffalo's most successful developers.

I'm sure that if Buffalo had more immigrants, it would have more immigrants turned developers, & more development.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #4232
bayviews

Quote:
I remember in the good old days when all one needed to do to cross the border was to say you were going to Toronto. Canadian Customs would give you a little recept & when you came back all you'd have to was turn it in.

Then for while, they gave up on the recepits entirely. they's just ask where you were going. Pretty much the same for Canadians. Now too much red tape coming into the US.

One reason why the two most decript, depopulated US cities (not counting little towns like Niagara Falls NY) are right across from the most prosperous, booming region of Canada.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:44 PM   #4233
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypical View Post
Really wish we could work together with Toronto in establishing GO service between Toronto and Buffalo Niagara.
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...ara-falls.html...
Weekend GO Train service to NF begins

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...-to-falls.html
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #4234
bayviews

Amazing some folks here don't even know that it was a immigrant named Ramesh who helped get the Elmwood strip up & running!

NEW-LOOK MINI-MALL - SHORT-TERM, SEASONAL LEASES HAVE ATTRACTED A VARIETY OF RETAILERS TO - ELMWOOD MARKET I, OFFERING EVERYTHING FROM CANDLES TO VINTAGE - CLOTHING
The Buffalo News - Sunday, November 26, 2000
Author: SHARON LINSTEDT ; News Business Reporter

Ramesh Chainani, the largest commercial property owner on Buffalo 's Elmwood Strip, is trying something new to fill a couple of his long-vacant storefronts.

When it comes to investing in Buffalo 's Elmwood Avenue commercial strip, Ramesh Chainani is king.

Over the past 25 years, the Amherst businessman has amassed a portfolio of nine buildings. Those holdings, which stretch along Elmwood Avenue from near Hodge Street to Forest Avenue, make Chainani the neighborhood's single largest property owner.

As he's scooped up properties, he's also become a controversial figure on the street.

While one camp of Elmwood Avenue business owners and residents is pleased with his continued investment in the urban retail strip, he has more than a few critics who question his leasing practices.

"I think maybe they just don't want one person to own so much property in one place," Chainani said. "It hurts me because I'm a very private person and feel I'm doing my best for the street."

The India-born, Hong Kong-raised entrepreneur, who is better known as Roger Chain, made his first purchase, at 1122 Elmwood Ave. near the intersection with Forest Avenue, in the early 1970s.

"I looked at Elmwood and saw a very lively street," Chainani recalled.

"It struck me as a very trendy street, so close to the colleges, hospitals, museums, and there were so many consumers."

That first property became home to his family-owned business, Chain's India Boutique & Hong Kong Tailors. His experience was so positive he began to add to his Elmwood Avenue holdings, even after relocating his business to 773 Niagara Falls Blvd. in the Town of Tonawanda.

In the years that followed, Chainani added 494, 500, 502, 520, 929, 1000, 1092 and 1116 Elmwood to his holdings.

State Senator Alfred T. Coppolla, D- Buffalo , who got to know Chainani during his tenure as Delaware District Council member, is one of the businessman's biggest fans.

"This city could use 100 more Roger Chains," Coppolla said. "He's quietly invested his own money in a key business district, without ever asking for a penny of public money."
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #4235
ECoastTransplant

Quote:
Amazing some folks here don't even know that it was a immigrant named Ramesh who helped get the Elmwood strip up & running!

NEW-LOOK MINI-MALL - SHORT-TERM, SEASONAL LEASES HAVE ATTRACTED A VARIETY OF RETAILERS TO - ELMWOOD MARKET I, OFFERING EVERYTHING FROM CANDLES TO VINTAGE - CLOTHING
The Buffalo News - Sunday, November 26, 2000
Author: SHARON LINSTEDT ; News Business Reporter

Ramesh Chainani, the largest commercial property owner on Buffalo 's Elmwood Strip, is trying something new to fill a couple of his long-vacant storefronts.

When it comes to investing in Buffalo 's Elmwood Avenue commercial strip, Ramesh Chainani is king.

Over the past 25 years, the Amherst businessman has amassed a portfolio of nine buildings. Those holdings, which stretch along Elmwood Avenue from near Hodge Street to Forest Avenue, make Chainani the neighborhood's single largest property owner.

As he's scooped up properties, he's also become a controversial figure on the street.

While one camp of Elmwood Avenue business owners and residents is pleased with his continued investment in the urban retail strip, he has more than a few critics who question his leasing practices.

"I think maybe they just don't want one person to own so much property in one place," Chainani said. "It hurts me because I'm a very private person and feel I'm doing my best for the street."

The India-born, Hong Kong-raised entrepreneur, who is better known as Roger Chain, made his first purchase, at 1122 Elmwood Ave. near the intersection with Forest Avenue, in the early 1970s.

"I looked at Elmwood and saw a very lively street," Chainani recalled.

"It struck me as a very trendy street, so close to the colleges, hospitals, museums, and there were so many consumers."

That first property became home to his family-owned business, Chain's India Boutique & Hong Kong Tailors. His experience was so positive he began to add to his Elmwood Avenue holdings, even after relocating his business to 773 Niagara Falls Blvd. in the Town of Tonawanda.

In the years that followed, Chainani added 494, 500, 502, 520, 929, 1000, 1092 and 1116 Elmwood to his holdings.

State Senator Alfred T. Coppolla, D- Buffalo , who got to know Chainani during his tenure as Delaware District Council member, is one of the businessman's biggest fans.

"This city could use 100 more Roger Chains," Coppolla said. "He's quietly invested his own money in a key business district, without ever asking for a penny of public money."
Hold off your praise- his rents are some of the highest on the strip and as predictable as morning sun, has consistent vacancies- some for years at a time. Prime example: 929 Elmwood next to Starbucks. I know a few Elmwood business owners who would love to see him sell and leave. He certainly didn't get Elmwood up and running. FAIL.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #4236
steel

Quote:
Hold off your praise- his rents are some of the highest on the strip and as predictable as morning sun, has consistent vacancies- some for years at a time. Prime example: 929 Elmwood next to Starbucks. I know a few Elmwood business owners who would love to see him sell and leave. He certainly didn't get Elmwood up and running. FAIL.

That blocK of Elmwood has tremendous potential but has consistently been one of the most depressed on the street because of those
vacancies.

See it here:
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #4237
bayviews

Quote:
Hold off your praise- his rents are some of the highest on the strip and as predictable as morning sun, has consistent vacancies- some for years at a time. Prime example: 929 Elmwood next to Starbucks. I know a few Elmwood business owners who would love to see him sell and leave. He certainly didn't get Elmwood up and running.
Completely predictable response from this peanut gallery.

Be serious. How many renters love their landlords?

Those who failed to take advantage of unseen opportunities always complain & whine about those like Ramesh.

Who obviously had a lot to do with making Elmwood what it is today.

Nothing draws envy as much as foresight, street savvy, & success.

Most of all, from those who just didn't see what was coming!
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #4238
ECoastTransplant

Quote:
Completely predictable response from this peanut gallery.

Be serious. How many renters love their landlords?

Those who failed to take advantage of unseen opportunities always complain & whine about those like Ramesh.

Who obviously had a lot to do with making Elmwood what it is today.

Nothing draws envy as much as foresight, street savvy, & success.

Most of all, from those who just didn't see what was coming!
He certainly has alot to do with making Elmwood what it is today- too many vacant storefronts- mostly his! His properties have high turnover, and that's when he finds a sucker to pay his over-priced rent. The store owners complaining aren't tenants- they're neighbors and shop owners who want to see the strip full and vibrant. Doesn't matter what race he is. Good for him for being an opportunist. I'm looking at the big picture of what's best for the street. Empty storefronts may be a success in your book, not in mine.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #4239
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 16380

We've had landlords like that here. On one hand you can rightly applaud the fact that when their neighborhoods were more distressed, they didn't simply sell out and leave. But out here we have guys that never put a nickel into their properties, demand outrageous rents, and figure that since their properties are in gentrifying, hot neighborhoods, they can get away with insisting that their tennants pay for all the improvements. Predictably, they always find a sucker or two with deep pockets who'll sign onto that proposition. One owner out here has a retail strip in the best location in a hip shopping and dining district and his buildings are always half empty. And while the city cracks down on code violators in worse neighborhoods, they always give that creep a pass on his lack of heat and cooling and the sagging roofs. Immigrant status has nothing to do with how a landlord does business, especially in a diverse, up and coming neighborhood.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #4240
steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
We've had landlords like that here. On one hand you can rightly applaud the fact that when their neighborhoods were more distressed, they didn't simply sell out and leave. But out here we have guys that never put a nickel into their properties, demand outrageous rents, and figure that since their properties are in gentrifying, hot neighborhoods, they can get away with insisting that their tennants pay for all the improvements. Predictably, they always find a sucker or two with deep pockets who'll sign onto that proposition. One owner out here has a retail strip in the best location in a hip shopping and dining district and his buildings are always half empty. And while the city cracks down on code violators in worse neighborhoods, they always give that creep a pass on his lack of heat and cooling and the sagging roofs. Immigrant status has nothing to do with how a landlord does business, especially in a diverse, up and coming neighborhood.
On top of that Elmwood was never a depressed residential or retail area. Making this guy out as the white night that saved Elmwood is revisionist history.

See it here:

Tags
amherst, black rock, buffalo, cheektowaga, cobblestone, delaware ave., delaware park, depew, east aurora, east side, elmwood, inner harbor, kensington, lackawanna, lancaster, main st., niagara square, outer harbor, polonia, south side, south towns, the tonawandas, west side, williamsville