daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #161
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 232

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/201...rg-dream-pier/

Am I the only one who feels that the new pier shouldn't be some cheesy tourist trap? I mean for one with $50 million to work with I think they should just develop the mainland part with retail and parks and leave room for a new pier until there is somebody willing to invest in a new Pier. Then we should get something modern and landmark like that no other city with a pier has or some kind of futuristic design.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 5th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #162
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post

Am I the only one who feels that the new pier shouldn't be some cheesy tourist trap? I mean for one with $50 million to work with I think they should just develop the mainland part with retail and parks and leave room for a new pier until there is somebody willing to invest in a new Pier. Then we should get something modern and landmark like that no other city with a pier has or some kind of futuristic design.
No, your not the only one. I saw skyride and zipline and I had to ask myself if we're talking about a new pier or relocating the Florida State Fair.

I'm with you, just redevelop the land to incorporate retail, parks, parking, and maybe a 1,000 seat ampitheatre. Continue to allow space for the museum and a new pier down the road. Maybe set up a reserve on the side so we can save up enough $$$ to build a proper pier or any structure that doesn't include amusement rides and useless features.
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #163
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

To be fair, the point of that illustration is just to lay out ideas. What's drawn wouldn't be a singular plan. At least I hope not. lol

The pier needs anchor attractions, preferably more than one of them.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #164
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
To be fair, the point of that illustration is just to lay out ideas. What's drawn wouldn't be a singular plan. At least I hope not. lol

The pier needs anchor attractions, preferably more than one of them.
I'm talking about the plans that came from the consultants that the city paid $400,000+ for. The illustration si far more worse. lol 8 story water slide? Riding manatees? lmao
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #165
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 131

Whoh! That was too much. Water rides down a hill, submarines? Looks too much like a theme park. Keep Orlando in Orlando.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #166
Jasonhouse

C'mon people, you're missing the point.
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #167
rainierm

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post

For a second I thought this was some serious illustration til I got to Spa Beach and the beautiful lifeguards. I liked the illustrations I saw in the paper (not the developers) but the ones that used it to connect to Vinoy Park and had an ampitheater, marina and observation tower. The beach idea, meh, I agree with a previous poster (forgot who) that a bay beach doesn't have the draw of a Gulf beach.
rainierm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:03 AM   #168
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Would adding another military ship museum for the Tampa Bay area be considered adding another tourist trap? Line the strip of land with shops and restaurants, add a streetcar looping through then or later, and have the ship at the end of the strip.
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM   #169
Jasonhouse

Whatever they do, hopefully this works out for the best.
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #170
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 48

I like the fairy to Channelside. I think it would be popular or both locals and tourists - a scenic, fun way to see the attractions and activities in both downtowns without driving. I like the idea of party boats docking there, too.
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #171
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahi98 View Post
I like the fairy to Channelside. I think it would be popular or both locals and tourists - a scenic, fun way to see the attractions and activities in both downtowns without driving. I like the idea of party boats docking there, too.
I like the ferry idea too, although there will be a few things to figure out. Especially what would be done if a storm is over the bay during the final hour of transporting people back and forth and how rough will the bay have to be before they cancel any service. Will there be service 24/7? Will they have more ferries for service during Rays, Lightning, and maybe Storms games?
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #172
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Big names bidding on Pier design
By Michael Van Sickler, Times Staff Writer
Posted: Jul 08, 2011 03:24 PM

ST. PETERSBURG — The architect of New York City's ground zero wants to design the $50 million Pier project.

World-renowned architect Daniel Libeskind's firm is one of 16 firms to notify city officials that they are bidding on the design competition portion of the project. They have until 5 p.m. today to register for the contest, which will conclude next year.

Libeskind is considered to be in the top tier of world class architects. His buildings include the Jewish Museum in Berlin, Germany and an annex of the Denver Art Museum. In 2003 he won the design competition to design the reconstruction of the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan.

Other big names include Yann Weymouth of the Tampa firm HOK, who designed the Salvador Dali Museum, and James Corner, who designed the second phase of the High Line Park, a revered a green walkway along an abandoned elevated freight railroad running through New York City's old meatpacking district.

While it's supposed to be an international competition, 15 of the firms to respond hailed from the United States: eight from New York, four from Florida, and one each from Atlanta, San Francisco and Pasadena, Calif.

The from overseas comes from an Italian firm.

A five-member jury will help pick the winner. The jurors are Stanley Saitowitz, an architectural professor at the University of California, Berkeley; James Moore, an urban designer; Susan Fainstein, an urban planning professor at Harvard; St. Petersburg City Council member Leslie Curran; and Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch.

Here's what happens next:

July 31: Jury reviews and selects 10 semi-finalists.

Aug. 19: Jury reviews and selects 3 finalists.

Sept. 8: City Council votes to approve the list.

Nov. 29: Design concept submission deadline.

Dec. 15-16: Presentation of design concepts to jury.

Jan. 12: Final jury deliberation and ranking of three finalists.

Feb. 2: Winning design concept presented to City Council for approval.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/big-nam...design/1179502
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #173
Jasonhouse

^That article is WAY off... 30 firms have entered the contest, not 16.
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:30 AM   #174
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG PIER DESIGN PANEL NARROWS LIST OF APPLICANTS FROM NINE TO THREE

ST. PETERSBURG, FL (August 19, 2011) - A new St. Petersburg Pier moved closer to reality today as a five-member public jury narrowed the list of teams vying to design the new structure from nine to a final three. City Council will be asked to approve their recommendation at the September 8 meeting of City Council.

The three finalists picked by the selection panel include: Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG), lead designer Bjarke Ingels of New York; Michael Maltzan Architecture, Inc., lead designer Michael Maltzan of Los Angeles; and West 8 with Allied Works Architecture, lead designer Adriaan Geuze of New York.

Selecting the three finalists is the latest step in an international design competition that capped off a lengthy community dialogue regarding the replacement of the city's landmark Pier. A budget of $50 million has been earmarked for the project. After soliciting interest from world design teams, 23 expressed interest in competing for the opportunity to design the new Pier. That list was narrowed to nine on July 29.

The jury selected by City Council to evaluate the proposals reflects a diverse range of expertise and perspectives, and includes: Stanley Saitowitz, a South African architect and an architecture professor from University of California, Berkeley; James Moore, PhD, a Tampa-based urban designer and former architecture and design professor at USF; Susan Fainstein, PhD, a Harvard University urban design professor; City Council Member Leslie Curran and Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch.

Pending Council approval of the short list on September 8, the three finalists will submit design concepts for a new Pier by November 29, and will make presentations December 15 and 16. In early January, the jury will submit its final recommendation to City Council for approval on Feb. 2. For their efforts, each design team will receive a city honorarium of $50,000.

Since its earliest days, a pier has been the centerpiece of St. Petersburg, Florida's downtown waterfront. The current landmark Pier - the seventh in a succession of waterfront piers - opened in 1973 and is nearing the end of its life span, slated for future replacement.
http://www.stpete.org/news/8-19-2011...e_to_three.asp
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #175
HeartofFlorida

Likes (Received): 540

City releases final designs for St. Petersburg Pier

Source: Baynews 9

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG -- The City of St. Petersburg has released the final three designs for the Pier.

The city's website features the three final designs, as well as a place for people to give feedback on the various designs
More: http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...etersburg-Pier

Design 1 - Michael Maltzan Architecture - 10.8 MB, 156 pages
Design 2 - BIG - 42.8 MB, 206 pages
Design 3 - West8 - 37.7 MB, 132 pages

St. Petersburg Pier International Design Competition - Feedback is encouraged.

If I had to pick, I'd choose the one by Michael Maltzan Architecture.....

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; November 30th, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
HeartofFlorida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #176
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

None of them have anything that attracts residents and tourists to it. All may be iconic designs, but that's not going to do it. If I had to pick any, it would be the BIG design. And I don't know if the city's website has crashed, but I can't view the documents at the moment or even the city's website to really get any more information and details. But still, I would choose none of them at this moment.

I honestly feel like I would rather support building something iconic on land compared to re-doing the pier all over again. Likely will last longer, will save money in short-term and long-term, and even if the city wanted to spend all $50 million, they could do more with something on land over doing a Pier 3.0 or 4.0, whatever number this is.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #177
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
None of them have anything that attracts residents and tourists to it. All may be iconic designs, but that's not going to do it. If I had to pick any, it would be the BIG design. And I don't know if the city's website has crashed, but I can't view the documents at the moment or even the city's website to really get any more information and details. But still, I would choose none of them at this moment.

I honestly feel like I would rather support building something iconic on land compared to re-doing the pier all over again. Likely will last longer, will save money in short-term and long-term, and even if the city wanted to spend all $50 million, they could do more with something on land over doing a Pier 3.0 or 4.0, whatever number this is.
Finally being able to look at the proposals, I agree with you HeartofFlorida. The Michael Maltzan Architecture proposal is the best one there. It still develops a pretty good iconic Pier proposal, but I like what they do with the whole waterfront area. I think the issue with the proposal though will be what I addressed in my second paragraph in my quoted post, the short-term and long-term costs. With EVERYTHING they show in the concept designs, that's already over the $50 Million. Then you add the maintenance cost of the parks and features, especially the water park, and you have to wonder if the city can afford that all.

This might be crazy, but what about doing everything BUT the Pier project? You got the water park, improved green space and waterfront area, amphitheatre that looks killer, entry plaza, The Hub, and they designed a green trail going up to Mirror Lake. Now, if the city is fine going the extra and spending amount that is planned, then go ahead. But looking at everything but the bridges and main Pier proposal, I would still be fine with that.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #178
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 232

I'd have to go with the Michael Maltzan Architecture proposal because at least it looks like they are building some retail, parks, and other stuff on land, making the best use of the location. The pier design is alright too, it is kind of interesting. The worst is the west 8, wtf is that building a empty shell on a sandbar? Honestly none of them are that great, but I kind of expected that.

EDIT: I managed to get open the Michael Maltzan Architecture proposal and never mind it isn't retail but some kind of pavilions, even then its not a bad proposal. I think it will be a great park.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; November 30th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #179
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 84

The three projects are bad and are not sustainable long-term.

I wish the the focus was less on the "wow" factor and more on the value and usability to citizens.

Tear down the existing building, bring the entire structure nearer to land to link it better with downtown, and leave it as a more ordinary fishing pier, with space to walk, fish, or relax. Augment it with some simple, well-designed bars, shops, or restaurants... like this:

http://www.westbeachcafe.co.uk/gallery.html

Perhaps add a market where one of the existing parking lots is and better utilize the surrounding green space...
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM   #180
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

But does any proposal really need retail and restaurants to it? You have Bayshore Blvd. that continues to add retail and restaurants, Baywalk that may or can add more stores in the future, Central Ave., and various other areas around Downtown with shops and restaurants and bars. I know there's retail adn restaurants there now (not the best selections), but does a new Pier need the same?