daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Denmark

Denmark » Copenhagen | Aarhus

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1
AlfaQuarto

Likes (Received): 174

Questions from foreigner :)

Hi Everyone

I know that this site is mainly about architecure and communication but I've got some general questions about living in Denmark

Let's start with some introduction

I'm IT student at Technical University of Lodz, Poland and I would come to your country on my ERASMUS exchange for the spring semester of academic year 2011/2012. I want to enhance my IT knowledge and skills at DTU in Lyngby (as I find out it is the city near Copenhagen).

And now my questions connected with my trip to your country

As you may suppose in Poland we do not have many banks from Denmark. However I need to have a bank account in some bank (I'm thinking about Nordea) which have branches/ATMs in Lyngby. So I want to ask you which bank is the most popular in Danmark and where can I find some info about their ATMs (if it would be Nordea, does it have many ATMs/branches in Lyngby and Copenhagen)?
Next question is about flats , because I'm thinking about renting (together with my two friends) some flat during my residence in Denmark How much (approximately) would it cost? Do you know any real estate agency which would be able to help me find one?
And in the end I want to know how much costs the communication?

That's all Thanks for your attention and sorry for mess and mistakes in text
AlfaQuarto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #2
moveteam

Likes (Received): 221

Hi

Danske Bank and Nordea are the two largest banks in Denmark and you'll be able to find an ATM on every corner, no matter your final choice. As a Dane I naturally suggest you to choose Danske Bank, both banks are the largest in the Nordics - Nordea a little bit larger I guess you can find a complete list of ATM's on danskebank.dk or nordea.dk..

Boligportalen is a good place to start searching for a flat.

Communication I guess you mean phone plans? Denmark has four major operators: TDC, Telia, Telenor and 3. And a lot of smaller carriers, using the networks of the big four. TDC is the one with the broadest coverage, but as you will reside in the capital region, either carrier will probably be equally good. 3 does have an excellent data network with HSPA+ and speeds of up to 32 Mbit in the Copenhagen area. Telia on the other hand recently launched their LTE solution.

You need to specify your exact needs, but here's a list of the most popular carriers in the country:

(TDC, 3, Telia, Telenor)
Oister (3)
Telmore (TDC)
Onfone (TDC)
M1 (TDC)
BiBoB (Telenor)
Call me (Telia)
moveteam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #3
AlfaQuarto

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveteam View Post
Hi

(...)

Communication I guess you mean phone plans? Denmark has four major operators: TDC, Telia, Telenor and 3. And a lot of smaller carriers, using the networks of the big four. TDC is the one with the broadest coverage, but as you will reside in the capital region, either carrier will probably be equally good. 3 does have an excellent data network with HSPA+ and speeds of up to 32 Mbit in the Copenhagen area. Telia on the other hand recently launched their LTE solution.

You need to specify your exact needs, but here's a list of the most popular carriers in the country:

(TDC, 3, Telia, Telenor)
Oister (3)
Telmore (TDC)
Onfone (TDC)
M1 (TDC)
BiBoB (Telenor)
Call me (Telia)
Thanks a lot As a communication i meant Buses, trams, trains etc. because Denmark seems interesting and I want to travel a lot Nevertheless good to know also about phones
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #4
moveteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaQuarto View Post
Thanks a lot As a communication i meant Buses, trams, trains etc. because Denmark seems interesting and I want to travel a lot Nevertheless good to know also about phones
Well read the Wiki The greater Copenhagen area has a large s-train network, a small (but awesome) metro with two lines (and two currently under construction) and of course a lot of bus lines and regional trains

EDIT: And that didn't really answer your question, but it's not cheap..
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Markowitch

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
As you may suppose in Poland we do not have many banks from Denmark. However I need to have a bank account in some bank (I'm thinking about Nordea) which have branches/ATMs in Lyngby.
Most ATM's can be used with all sorts of credit cards. So don't worry about the distribution of ATM's. However, do get a Dankort as soon as possible. I know they call it cOPENhagen - but it's really not. The vast majority of shops are closed on sundays and closes early on saturdays. Most shops only take the Dankort or cash.
Markowitch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #6
muster

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowitch View Post
Most shops only take the Dankort or cash.
Say again..
muster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #7
moveteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by muster View Post
Say again..
Smaller shops do only accept it. Most malls and chains accept Visa, Mastercard etc. though.

But please don't make this thread into something it's not
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #8
muster

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveteam View Post
Smaller shops do only accept it. Most malls and chains accept Visa, Mastercard etc. though.

But please don't make this thread into something it's not
He did ask about banks and ATM's, so I think it was related. I'm surprised that you reccomend the largest banks btw. Normally they have the worst deals from my own experience. Especially these days when people hardly use ATM's anymore, I don't see the point.
muster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #9
AlfaQuarto

Quote:
Originally Posted by muster View Post
He did ask about banks and ATM's, so I think it was related. I'm surprised that you reccomend the largest banks btw. Normally they have the worst deals from my own experience. Especially these days when people hardly use ATM's anymore, I don't see the point.
Ok, thanks for answers I think that I'll choose Nordea, because thay have a branch in my city, so it would be easier for me to visit their office, talk and negotiate with them (cause I need super-druper account to serve three currencies xD).

However I've got one more question Is it a big problem to get to Lyngby, because I'm gonna to arrive to Denmark by car from Łódź How long would it take me to drive from ferry Rostock-Godser to Lyngby?

Here's the map of my route

=RTS= =WIDZEW== ŁÓDŹ=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGE4jPpVE9I
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #10
moveteam

He seems pretty hooked on the idea of having many ATM's around though and as long as he is only going to rent a flat, I don't think the bank choice is that important
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #11
K3

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Ok, thanks for answers I think that I'll choose Nordea, because thay have a branch in my city, so it would be easier for me to visit their office, talk and negotiate with them (cause I need super-druper account to serve three currencies xD).
But Nordea in Denmark isn't connected with polish...
They have common name, but are two different banks in real...

Quote:
However I've got one more question Is it a big problem to get to Lyngby, because I'm gonna to arrive to Denmark by car from Łódź How long would it take me to drive from ferry Rostock-Godser to Lyngby?
About 2h in normal traffic.
K3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #12
katia72

Likes (Received): 3

[QUOTE=AlfaQuarto;80518178]Ok, thanks for answers I think that I'll choose Nordea, because thay have a branch in my city, so it would be easier for me to visit their office, talk and negotiate with them (cause I need super-druper account to serve three currencies xD).

Denmark, Norway or Poland ..... does not matter for bank selection. If I were you I would choose an internett bank that is cheap to use. Personal recommend I Skandiabanken, easy to use and inexpensive to use.
katia72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #13
Alseimik

Likes (Received): 9

[QUOTE=katia72;84648251]
Quote:

Denmark, Norway or Poland ..... does not matter for bank selection. If I were you I would choose an internett bank that is cheap to use. Personal recommend I Skandiabanken, easy to use and inexpensive to use.
But Scandiabanken is very badly represented in Denmark. I would go for Nordea too, even thou I'm using Danske Bank. And why shouldn't the Nordea be represented in Poland? The idea was a Scandinavian bank, to be the easiest and most comfortable bank, logically it would have a single department in the largest tourist cities! And the National Irish Bank, owned by Danske Bank, can help you with your Danish account, so it must be do able.

About the route, i tend to miss that exit, so think fast and be ready
Alseimik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #14
satanism

Likes (Received): 741

Quote:

Here's the map of my route
Hi there, I've also just moved in to Denmark for my Masters and you should know that it's forbidden to drive a foreign registered car in Denmark for more than 14 days( I found out even most Danes didn't know that, as my landlord for example). There is an option to apply for a temprary permit (up to 2 years) if you're a student under certain conditions but you need to do this ASAP when you arrive as SKAT(Danish tax authorities) do have the habbit to take licence plates down and the fines are not exactly small

As for housing your best bet would be to go through the university as it saves a lot of trouble.My personal experience shows that it's quite hard to find acommodation in Denmark.I couldn't find any online estate agents(of course it might be me) and most listings appear to be private.
here are some sites that might be helpful

boligportal.dk
lejebolig.dk
It is mostly in Danish but as you probably already know literally everybody speaks decent English around here so you'd be fine calling landlords even if you don't know Danish etc.
The prices, at least here, in Odense, are comparable(if not a bit lower) to England(not London) but the houses' quality is quite a bit better...sorry, that's the only comparison I can make as I moved from England.Other living costs though are a bit higher than the average european.

As for the banks, I chose Nordea over Danske Bank as the account opening was faster and less complicated than in Danske Bank...and you must know you should have a CPR number in order to open a bank account.And the CPR takes some time so be prepared

I hope this helps you a bit.

Last edited by satanism; October 13th, 2011 at 11:34 PM.
satanism no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #15
mortensen

Likes (Received): 0

Another good site, which i find it quite helpful for searching Danmark renting houses is BoligMap.dk. Check it out Lejebolig
mortensen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM   #16
brvnara
Brđanin

Likes (Received): 28

Hi guys!

First of I have to apologize for stealing the thread but I thought it would be more convinient then opening a new thread just for one question.

So, I'm traveling to Denmark tomorow and I will spend a couple of hours in Copenhagen. I wanted to ask you a question - how do I get from the main railstation to the ''little mermaid''. If I got it right, the fastest way is taking the train to the ''Osterport station'' and take a short walk to the mermaid - I need to know which train to take and the cost. From there I was planning to walk my way back through ''Nyhavn'' and ''Stroget'' to the railstation from where I'm taking the train for Jylland.

Hope someone can help me!
Thx!

Brodska Naselja

...Tu se čobanac jede...šljivovica se pije i i Sunce naljepše sije i nigdje ljepše nije, nego na palubi broda šta mu Sava trup kroji, 760 godina usidren stoji i ne putuje nigdje, tu je stoljeća broji...ovdje na obali Save raj na zemlji postoji.
by SBReprezenta
brvnara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:33 PM   #17
acebone

Likes (Received): 10

You can take the S-train. All the trains departing from platform 9 and 10 stop at Řsterport Station and depart around every second minute.

The cost for a single ticket is 24 DKR.

Enjoy your stay.
acebone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #18
brvnara
Brđanin

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post

You can take the S-train. All the trains departing from platform 9 and 10 stop at Řsterport Station and depart around every second minute.

The cost for a single ticket is 24 DKR.

Enjoy your stay.
Thaks a lot acebone!

Brodska Naselja

...Tu se čobanac jede...šljivovica se pije i i Sunce naljepše sije i nigdje ljepše nije, nego na palubi broda šta mu Sava trup kroji, 760 godina usidren stoji i ne putuje nigdje, tu je stoljeća broji...ovdje na obali Save raj na zemlji postoji.
by SBReprezenta
brvnara no está en línea   Reply With Quote