daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old June 29th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #21
mrakbaseball
Vorsprung durch Technik

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
As do the Giants, Reds, Yankees, Royals, Brewers, Rangers, D-Backs, Cubs, Twins, Marlins, Red Sox and Rockies.
I just read an article on Steve Hogan of the Giants, and it stated 15 of 30 teams employ live organists. I'm surprised it was that much.
mrakbaseball no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #22
will101

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
I just read an article on Steve Hogan of the Giants, and it stated 15 of 30 teams employ live organists. I'm surprised it was that much.
Where was the article?
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #23
mrakbaseball
Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Where was the article?
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/26/372...helps-the.html
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #24
ECIRTREB76

Likes (Received): 29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPP5A...layer_embedded
the padres have a part time guy
sorry i couldn't post a picture just a link
ECIRTREB76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #25
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECIRTREB76 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPP5A...layer_embedded
the padres have a part time guy
sorry i couldn't post a picture just a link
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #26
mrakbaseball
Vorsprung durch Technik

scoreboard

With the Mariners upgrading Safeco's main scoreboard, do the White Sox now have the most outdated board in MLB?

Old December 12th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #27
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 0

I would argue they did before the Mariners renovation.

It's pretty frustrating when this franchise revolutionized MLB scoreboards to have something as poor as they do today.
skobabe8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #28
mrakbaseball
Vorsprung durch Technik

The White Sox had the first "exploding" scoreboard, so it is ironic.
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #29
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 15

Got out here this past summer, along with Wrigley. I was very underwhelmed by this ballpark. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, but I started to warm up to it while we were there. But that all changed when I learned of this ballparks terrible policy: If you have an upper deck ticket, you can not access the lower concourse at all. Which means no specialty concessions for you. I was very disappointed, especially after how amazingly we were treated at Wrigley the day before. Here we were treated like second class citizens.
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #30
BigB1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
Got out here this past summer, along with Wrigley. I was very underwhelmed by this ballpark. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, but I started to warm up to it while we were there. But that all changed when I learned of this ballparks terrible policy: If you have an upper deck ticket, you can not access the lower concourse at all. Which means no specialty concessions for you. I was very disappointed, especially after how amazingly we were treated at Wrigley the day before. Here we were treated like second class citizens.
I agree that it is an awful policy. Visited this stadium a few years ago, but because we sat in the upper deck, I don't feel that I visited at all.

Can anyone who is more familiar with the White Sox organization shed some light on the rationale behind said policy?
BigB1967 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #31
mrakbaseball
Vorsprung durch Technik

New Comiskey Park renovation

artist rendering of a never realized New Comiskey Park renovation complete with a double-decked home run porch in RF. from stadiumpage.com

Old December 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #32
skobabe8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB1967 View Post
I agree that it is an awful policy. Visited this stadium a few years ago, but because we sat in the upper deck, I don't feel that I visited at all.

Can anyone who is more familiar with the White Sox organization shed some light on the rationale behind said policy?
This policy was created in response to a couple of bad fan incidents. In 2002 a father/son team ran onto the field and attacked Royals first base coach Tom Gamboa. In 2003 umpire Laz Diaz was the target of a fan who ran onto he field to try to tackle him (coincidentally also against the Royals).

White Sox reps will tell you that the policy is to keep the lower level concourse from overcrowding and a bunch of other nonsense, but the fact of the matter is that they don't want people buying cheap UD tickets only to move to the lower level and create problems like they did in 2002-03. I know in the 2002 incident the scumbags had upper deck seats.

That all being said, it's a terrible policy today. Even though it doesn't take much to Google a ballpark's rules and policies before you visit, alot of people still are unaware and end up stuck on the upper level. As a fan visiting from out of town, I don't blame people at all for being upset. White Sox fans have been pushing to get this changed for a few years now. Hopefully enough time has passed that something will get done soon.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #33
skobabe8

Quote:
artist rendering of a never realized New Comiskey Park renovation complete with a double-decked home run porch in RF. from stadiumpage.com

I was a HUGE fan of the second rendition. It surfaced sometime around 2004 and featured a huge main entrance building on the corner of 35th and Wentworth. It was supposed to house a bar or restaurant, shops, team hall of fame, rooftop bar, etc. If you didn't already notice, the rendering also shows a right field upper deck home run porch.

But the main entrance building would have been great. That is a big criticism of this place...as you approach from the east (either by car or walking from the red line El stop) you are greeted by the left field corner and ramps that are used for exiting the ballpark only. It's a very underwhelming first site and impression. They decided to build a "Fundamentals" section for kids in this area instead of the grand entrance building. Although it can probably still be done if they really wanted.

Last edited by skobabe8; December 13th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #34
wukikimonkey

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
With the Mariners upgrading Safeco's main scoreboard, do the White Sox now have the most outdated board in MLB?

I would probably say that Wrigley and Fenway have the most *outdated* scoreboards, but of course to suggest that they change them would be inviting a lynching from raving baseball fans.

I want to add that I really like the Cell. It was built a couple years after I moved to the midwest and they've done a lot to improve it since then. But you guys are spot on about the upper deck policy. Whenever I make it down to Chicago for a game I have to shell out the extra money for lower level because otherwise it's just not worth the trip.
wukikimonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #35
skobabe8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wukikimonkey View Post
I would probably say that Wrigley and Fenway have the most *outdated* scoreboards, but of course to suggest that they change them would be inviting a lynching from raving baseball fans.

I want to add that I really like the Cell. It was built a couple years after I moved to the midwest and they've done a lot to improve it since then. But you guys are spot on about the upper deck policy. Whenever I make it down to Chicago for a game I have to shell out the extra money for lower level because otherwise it's just not worth the trip.
It might be a little easier on you since they are lowering ticket prices fairly substantially for 2013. Both LF and RF corners in the lower level will be $20 all year long. Parking will also be reduced about 20%.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #36
wukikimonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
It might be a little easier on you since they are lowering ticket prices fairly substantially for 2013. Both LF and RF corners in the lower level will be $20 all year long. Parking will also be reduced about 20%.
I had actually heard that. Now if they'll just pay for my gas from west-central Wisconsin I'll be set!
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #37
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wukikimonkey View Post
Fenway actually just updated their scoreboard:
image hosted on flickr

cool video from the first in-game use-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYz_IRyc10

As for Wrigley, while not quite adding a video board, which they desperately need to, they did add this to the RF corner last year:
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #38
mrakbaseball
Vorsprung durch Technik

White Sox 1st round pick Courtney Hawkins hangs out with Bulls legend Scottie Pippen before a Cubs/White Sox game last season.
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #39
wukikimonkey

Quote:
White Sox 1st round pick Courtney Hawkins hangs out with Bulls legend Scottie Pippen before a Cubs/White Sox game last season.
I will always remember this kid for doing a backflip after he was drafted. And then when he talked to GM Kenny Williams on the phone, Kenny said "just to let you know, that's the last backflip you're ever doing." The kid looked absolutely scared out of his mind.

Tags
chicago