daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #21
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1429

I don't think much to the new tv advert
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 21st, 2011, 04:35 AM   #22
NorthLimitation
Passionately Apathetic

Likes (Received): 252

What is it?

On the topic of Irn Bru, I never really "went fully Irn Bru" until I was a teenager, Tizer and Pepsi dominated our household, equally for me too Bachy.

Edit: Oh I think I mind the advert we're talking about - yes, truly dire. Bring back people doing hilariously strong things!

I N V E R N E S S / I N B H I R - N I S
Capital of the Scottish Highlands
Prìomh-bhaile na Gàidhealtachd
NorthLimitation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #23
Pious Fraud

Likes (Received): 818

Irn-Bru aims to be Algeria's 'other national drink'

BBC 9th July 2011

Ask an Algerian what his favourite cold drink is, and chances are he will answer without hesitation, "Hamoud."

A cloudy, primrose-coloured lemonade, Hamoud is sold in thick glass bottles with old-fashioned labels, and drunk by the gallon.

No wedding party, birthday celebration or picnic is complete without half a dozen bottles of the stuff, and Algerians will tell you, proudly, that Hamoud has been around for a great deal longer than Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

But Othmane Bencheikh, an entrepreneur with a penchant for all things sweet, is hoping to change that.

Earlier this year, he started importing a new soft drink to Algeria, one he hopes will one day be as popular as Hamoud.

What is it? Irn-Bru, that amber-coloured potion born in Scotland at the turn of the 19th Century and beloved of Scots the world over.

It is said that Scotland is the only country in the world that does not have Coca-Cola as its top-selling soft drink.

In Algeria, I imagine Coke sales must be neck-and-neck with Hamoud.

I arrange to meet Othmane on a sweltering summer day in the capital, Algiers - exactly the sort of weather for a long, cold, fizzy drink.

Othmane collects me in a huge van painted orange and blue, the colours of an Irn-Bru can.

In the back are dozens of crates of the drink, which clink every time we turn a corner.

"So, why Irn-Bru?" I ask him. We're heading towards a suburb where a supermarket has started selling the drink.

"Because I love it," he says. "And everyone I've tried it out on loves it, too..."

Last edited by Pious Fraud; July 10th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #24
AJphx

Likes (Received): 8

love that photo of the street. haven't been to glasgow but wanted to see where that picture is taken. Looked around and I think that is renfield street? and that odeon is closed? The photo makes its quite an impressive looking street, shorter, wider, taller buildings. The reality from google street view - not so much. Still really nice though
AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #25
JohnnyFive

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJphx View Post
love that photo of the street. haven't been to glasgow but wanted to see where that picture is taken. Looked around and I think that is renfield street? and that odeon is closed? The photo makes its quite an impressive looking street, shorter, wider, taller buildings. The reality from google street view - not so much. Still really nice though
Yes, that is Renfield st and the odeon is closed.

It is an impressive street in real life with canyons as per much of Glasgow.

Not so sure you can say in "reality" on "google streetview" though their images are always distorted due to the fish eye lens they use for 360 degree captures.

You need to see Glasgow in person to see the scale of the streets and buildings. More importantly there is streets like St Vincent St and Renfield st which have a very large change of gradient which is difficult to capture via camera but can further enhance the scale.

I think the photo you comment on is a very good capture.

JohnnyFive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #26
AJphx

Likes (Received): 8

Thanks for the info Johnny. What you say about Google makes sense actually, now that I think about it the streets do looked stretched on street view. Anyway thats good to hear as the street is quite amazing looking in that photo.

i definetly hope to visit one day. Haven't ever been to the UK yet (from US) but its a place I would love to go and I just like to see whats happening there on this forum. Honestly Glasgow strikes me as really interesting. I know Glasgow was the "second city of the empire" right? So whenever those threads come up polling about what the "second city of the UK" is I always think Glasgow. Because, honestly, Glasgow just strikes me as having a lot more of an identity that those other two major cities.
AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #27
Ahhhh
Relaxed

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Glasgow just strikes me as having a lot more of an identity that those other two major cities.
London and where?

Ahhhh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #28
JohnnyFive

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
I definetly hope to visit one day. Haven't ever been to the UK yet (from US) but its a place I would love to go and I just like to see whats happening there on this forum. Honestly Glasgow strikes me as really interesting. I know Glasgow was the "second city of the empire" right? So whenever those threads come up polling about what the "second city of the UK" is I always think Glasgow. Because, honestly, Glasgow just strikes me as having a lot more of an identity that those other two major cities.
Yes, during the height of the British Empire Glasgow was considered the second city due to its industrial might and trade with the colonies.

In this modern post empire age Glasgow lost its way in a post industrial period and shrinkage from the 1960-1980's but it is still the largest city in Scotland and has been revitalised over the last 20 or so years and regaining confidence is a perfect foil for the classical beauty of Edinburgh.

I see no need to have a contest with any other city to claim a second city prize.

I am happy and contented that Scotland as a modern and small Northern European country has two such fine cities along with Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness and Stirling enabling Scotland to strive confidently forward in this new century.

JohnnyFive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #29
fatweegee

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhhh View Post
London and where?

Presume the reference was to Mancy and Birm, however for a large period of time Dublin also referred to itself as the 'second city', although I will always believe Glasgow is the only true claimant to the title.
fatweegee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #30
fatweegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
Yes, during the height of the British Empire Glasgow was considered the second city due to its industrial might and trade with the colonies.

In this modern post empire age Glasgow lost its way in a post industrial period and shrinkage from the 1960-1980's but it is still the largest city in Scotland and has been revitalised over the last 20 or so years and regaining confidence is a perfect foil for the classical beauty of Edinburgh.

I see no need to have a contest with any other city to claim a second city prize.

I am happy and contented that Scotland as a modern and small Northern European country has two such fine cities along with Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness and Stirling enabling Scotland to strive confidently forward in this new century.

Regardless - Glasgow is still officially the third largest settlemant in the UK. Not a bad feat when you consider the population explosion in England compared to Scotland.
fatweegee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #31
OurBoys&EastEnd

For me, Irn Bru IS Glasgow, thanks to Jamesie Cotter using it as a cure for his hangovers.

It's the staple drink in this house now, not the full on version but the Diet version, or whatever they term it now. It's crap when warm, like any soft drink, but really refreshing when chilled.

Have seen it in London in recent years, and try to plug it when we can. Hopefully it'll cross The Pond and we can see the day when we can sit in Bryant Park sipping on a chilled can or bottle of the stuff. The world doesn't know what it's missing.
OurBoys&EastEnd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #32
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

09/09/2011

First Minister Alex Salmond has welcomed a vote at today's European Commission's Standing Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health.

He said:

"Thank goodness this problem has been Irn-ed out! It is a victory for our other National drink - I'm delighted that common sense has prevailed, and that Europe's decision protects this iconic Scottish brand. I congratulate all involved in securing this positive outcome - folk at home and abroad who love their Irn Bru will be toasting this success with a glass of the stuff made from girders."

The Food Standards Agency has confirmed that at today's SCOFCAH Member States voted in favour of restricting use levels of Sunset Yellow in food and drink, including a reduction for soft drinks from 50 mg/l to 20 mg/l. AG Barr use 20mg/l of the additive in their recipe. The issue will now be considered by the Council and European Parliament.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #33
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #34
R.K.Teck
[BACK ON BOARD]

Likes (Received): 481

At first I thought Fiery Bru was going to be a limited edition with the absolute maximum amount of Sunset Yellow possible in it before the EU cuts the quantity allowed to the quantity in normal Irn Bru... but it's chillis and ginger.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2015
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Old September 21st, 2011, 03:01 AM   #35
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 245

anyone tried it?
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:35 AM   #36
R.K.Teck
[BACK ON BOARD]

I'm gonna have to wait til the 26/09/11

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Old September 21st, 2011, 11:43 PM   #37
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 245

Got a taste today. Just tastes like irn bru with a bit of ginger beer mixed in. Not bad actually.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #38
R.K.Teck
[BACK ON BOARD]

It's a nice wee change.
I was expecting overpowering chillis and ginger but it was good. Cool can too.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Old January 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #39
djmaxliving

Likes (Received): 127

Irn Bru maker AG Barr reports strong sales

Irn Bru maker AG Barr has reported strong sales of both its core and exotic brands as it looks to expand its production capacity into the south of Britain.

In a trading update, the Cumbernauld-based company said it expected 6% year-on-year growth for the financial year.

Barr said all of its core brands had grown this year, while exotic brands Rubicon and LA had performed strongly.

It expects overall margins to be in line with expectations.

This was despite continuing volatility in a number of key input costs such as sugar, packaging materials and energy.

Barr said it was continuing to develop its investment plans for a new production site with canning capacity in the south of the UK, but has yet to specify its precise location.

The firm expects the additional facility to come on stream in 2012-13.

In its trading update, Barr said its performance in the final quarter reflected "well executed sales plans, a less demanding comparative trading position and excellent consumer demand behind our core brands".

The firm said it expected see continued pressure on consumers' disposable incomes and further input cost inflation, as well as an increasingly competitive market place over the course of the next financial year.

It added: "However, we do see sales growth opportunities across our core brands as we continue to drive our product distribution and innovation activities.

"We will maintain our focus on costs throughout our total operation to ensure our margins are protected."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-16739866
djmaxliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #40
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 280

I realise that for distribution reasons the manufacturing facility needs to be in the south, however this is just the type of manufacturing work that could be located along the new M74 in Glasgow. Could we not have done a bit more to secure Barr's new factory here?
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote