daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #1
AJphx

Likes (Received): 7

Does anyone recognize this castle and chalk figure?

I saw this while looking up books online, but the image itself caught my eye. I wasn't able to find info from a publisher or anything on the photo credits. Or from looking up chalk figures and castles. Although the book itself is about issues in France from a german, I assume the photo is someplace in Britain because of the chalk figure and Britain tends to have a lot more of its castles in their ancient and ruined nature like that. Does anyone recognize it and where it might be? I think its very impressive.

AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
ToneFloat

Likes (Received): 94

It doesn't look like anywhere I recognise - in fact, the chalk figure looks like the Nazca lines in Peru, specifically the hummingbird pattern, so I'm wondering if the cover image is a mock-up. The castle looks more like a Cathars or maybe Norman judging by the shape, though I'm no expert.
ToneFloat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Lejaad

Likes (Received): 4

Spis Castle - Spissky hrad, Slovakia
http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-pho...d-slovakia.php

Edit: Just realised the date of the OP...
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #4
AJphx

Likes (Received): 7

OK thanks guys, I had been wondering about this. I actually was looking for a different thread I created but happened to notice you two replied.

Lejaad, thank you. Thats it!

Tonefloat, I was thinking that too. However it is definetly Spis Castle as Lejaad posted. When looking up this Spis Castle I didn't see anything about a chalk figure, but according to this wikipedia article, the castle does in fact have a chalk figure that was created in the 2000s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucippotomy
Unfortunately I couldn't really find any photos on google that show the chalk figure, except one with just a little bit of it.

So apparently the place and the photo are completely real. Strange that a book by Marx about Louis Napoleon would use it as the cover though! Thanks for the help guys!
AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote