daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old August 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #21
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 504

That's fantastic! I didn't realize it was happening so quickly. I don't mind Dearborn terribly, but I do mind Rainier, and this would be a big improvement for a lot of people.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #22
SteveM

Likes (Received): 3

I hope this path gets enough use to feel safe to women riding alone. While it's probably not all that dangerous, the jungle isn't exactly inviting to people who aren't used to dealing with transients.

Basically off-topic, but I'd highly recommend Ted Conover's book "Rolling Nowhere" to anyone interested in life in the jungle (and other jungles in other cities). It's 30+ years old now, but I doubt the core details have changed much.
SteveM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #23
LCIII

Likes (Received): 577

Thanks Seasun, I really didn't know what I was looking at.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #24
Seasun

Likes (Received): 146

Probably 6 months or a year ago I walked the jungle trail - really just a maintenance road for WSDOT and clean-up crews. It is a very nice forest and the combination of downtown views with greenery is a great start for the Greenway even if it can be thought of as a non-critical expenditure.

After I posted the above links last night I read in one of them that there will be lighting all along this half mile of trail. Quite a maintenance headache that I'm not sure will really work but I guess worth a try. You'd have to be pretty brave as man or woman to walk this area at night. Putting lighting along the route has the unintended consequence of not only inviting people to walk after dark (not inherently bad) but also makes it hard for legitimate citizens to see threats in the shadows. Also makes it easier for criminals to see and evaluate potential victims well in advance.

As part of my walk I tried taking the WSDOT road south of the Beacon Ave I-5 overpass - it gets pretty rugged and then I tried to walk under I-5 to the industrial area. Lots of camping going on under the freeway with beds, fire pits, etc. and I was not very comfortable when approaching a few campers walking together with no one else in sight even thought I'm generally pretty reckless when it comes to urban walks!
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #25
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3397

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSeattle View Post

Awesome view.....
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #26
Seasun

Speaking of Dearborn - I drove by the Goodwill today and there's a project of some kind happening. What is the project? A starter for the bigger project?
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #27
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasun View Post
Speaking of Dearborn - I drove by the Goodwill today and there's a project of some kind happening. What is the project? A starter for the bigger project?
Apparently goodwill is expanding their partking lot: http://www.rainiervalleypost.com/tag/goodwill/

Not quite as exciting as what was planned 2 years ago:
http://www.rainiervalleypost.com/goo...-city-council/
Old August 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #28
meku

Likes (Received): 51

Hm, I swear there was a design review not long ago for an office project (or maybe it was a school) in that area; I remember the lot shape was kinda funky and long.
meku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #29
geoffloftus

Likes (Received): 937

Hmmm. I was just at Goodwill today and they were digging below grade. Doesn't seem as if it'll be a parking lot.

More specifically: to the West of the existing parking lot, there is, under construction, what seems to be a modest extension of the parking lot.
However, to the East of the existing parking lot is what appears to be the beginning of a building. That's where the digging is happening.
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #30
Seasun

Looking at the Activity Locator it does look like just a surface parking lot. http://web1.seattle.gov/DPD/permitst...,S,DEARBORN,ST,

I raised the question a few days ago because at a glance it did seem like more heavy equipment than would be needed for a surface parking lot. Maybe the capping of side sewers as mentioned in the permits is why they're digging so much.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #31
Seasun

This report was issued back in January but I just came across it. It's a fairly long report but at a glance it tries to summarize what's happening with Rainier Valley population trends and how transit, housing and jobs interact to gentrify an area.

http://www.seattle.gov/housing/Corne..._FINAL_web.pdf
Quote:
What is Equitable Development?
Equitable development is an approach to
creating healthy, vibrant, communities of
opportunity for everyone. Equitable outcomes
result when intentional strategies are put
in place to ensure that existing low-income
communities and communities of color
participate in and benefit from decisions that
shape their own neighborhoods. By including
equitable development in Seattle’s transitoriented development program, the entire
region will benefit.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #32
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Snarky translation - You need to put some space for poor folks in your fancy development if you want to put it here or get extra height.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #33
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 176

http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Not...=805&NID=15076 Little Columbia City Station-area project. Always good to see the constant small increases in density.
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #34
Seasun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjonlin View Post
http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Not...=805&NID=15076 Little Columbia City Station-area project. Always good to see the constant small increases in density.
I haven't walked into the adjacent development (street view) but it seems this project might have a very similiar design and it's not good. It has density but the design doesn't promote any sense of neighborly shared or outdoor space with all the garages facing a driveway.

I'd prefer they push the parking to grouped outdoor spaces and then have usable spaces facing the driveway or some variation on this.
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #35
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 958

From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/co/12052044.html

April 17, 2013

Recreation center comes together in Rainier Beach
By JOURNAL STAFF

General contractor CE&C Inc. of Tacoma is heading toward a late September finish for Seattle Parks and Recreation's new $25 million Rainier Beach Community Center and Pool. The 46,500-square-foot building is at 8825 Rainier Ave. S.

Crews have nearly all of the curtain wall up and are finishing mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. They recently began installing drywall and pool tiles, and will start locker room floors next week.

The old community center closed in December 2010 and was later demolished.

The new facility will have a gym, dividable multipurpose room, kitchen, teen rooms, a computer lab, arts and crafts room, child care facility, lap pool, and recreational pool with waterslide and lazy river.

ARC Architects of Seattle and aquatic engineer Counsilman Hunsaker have designed the facility to LEED gold standards, with a focus on reducing energy and water use. Water will be heated by rooftop solar panels and rainwater will be used to flush toilets.

Old concrete foundations were recycled for site fill and old wood beams were repurposed for the new center. More than 90 percent of the old center was recycled.

The design team is Nakano Associates, landscape architect; KPFF Consulting Engineers, structural; GHD, civil engineer; Stantec, mechanical engineer; Travis, Fitzmaurice & Associates, electrical engineer; Bundy Associates, kitchen design; BRC, audio-visual and acoustics; AMEC, geotechnical engineer; and Engineering Economics Inc., commissioning agent.

Major subcontractors are Excel Electric, JRT Mechanical, The Pool Co., pool construction, Zavala (concrete) and Mission Glass Co. (curtain wall installation).

Seattle artists Roy McMakin and Jeffry Mitchell will create artwork for the center.

Parks will own and operate the community center and pool, and will contract with six community organizations to enhance and expand services at the center.

Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #36
shotsy

Likes (Received): 49

Pretty rad! Love the environmental features.
shotsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #37
RMacherat
Buy used books

I wonder how many solar panels were installed to heat the pool water.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:58 PM   #38
alexjonlin

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...dleasexml.html SCCC wants to take up a bunch of space at the Pac Med building! That's a great idea. Also I didn't even think about that before, but this will be quite accessible from the streetcar - probably around a five minute walk. I like how they say that some people "worry the authority will hire a developer to convert the former public hospital on the 9.5-acre campus to tony apartments." That seems like a pretty good Plan B, and in fact having half of it converted to apartments and the other half for the community college might be even better.
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #39
RMacherat
Buy used books

Isn't it quite a distance from SCCC? I thought about apartments long ago and how great it would be to work with that Art Deco building and the incredible views. Almost everything about it just says the ultimate Seattle residence.

Matt the Engineer liked this post
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #40
alexjonlin

It's about two miles away or so. The 60 actually goes right between the two sites. Also, I wonder if anything could ever be built in the ugly parking lot in front of it? That's the main obstacle to making it a walkable neighborhood.