daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #221
bonoslack7

Likes (Received): 17

tshyam,You needn't go very far to find the disadvantages a monorail. Even wikipedia shows that.

On a Chennai specific note, its a growing city. All places need metro. Just 15 years ago, only an idiot would have implemented a metro till siruseri but probably a monorail would have seemed logical at that time. But now, it doesn't seem that idiotic to have a metro till siruseri. Will they be demolishing those 10000 crore monorail lines every 20 years based on the patronage for constructing a metro?

All public transport decisions, especially permanent installations like monorail/metro shouldn't be taken in haste or because of lack of money.

Some of you in this forum say that the current metro route in construction is a good move. Why? Because everyone is sure of the patronage along that route due to the population density in that area. How are you sure that there wouldn't be the same patronage on those random monorail routes in 10 years time? Are they going to build one monorail line on every street like a retard, in lieu of an efficient bus transport system? A portion of the money used for this useless monorail, if diverted into bus transport would do wonders for MTC and everyone will be very very happy.

You are just emphazing paper examples of technological improvements in monorail, especially there is no monorail network in the world.

By beggars, I emphasize the economic/innovative strength of that country, maybe its a wrong term. Electric bulbs and automobiles were invented in America. They had the money to build anything like a suburban train, if it was a failure it wouldn't have bothered much.
bonoslack7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #222
TShyam

Likes (Received): 177

1. Disadvantages listed in the monorail page of wiki are applicable to metro too.

2. Monorail is NOT a low capacity system.

3. The routes are NOT random. The plans are NOT retarded.

4. Bus transport is NOT so efficient as you claim. It also occupies valuable road space.

5. Technological improvement in monorail are NOT paper examples.

6. Mono is NOT a slow lumbering 30 km/hr, two car system as you are imagining.
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #223
arun82

Likes (Received): 1465

Monorail should be concentrated in Central and North Chennai. Areas like Vysarpadi, Tondiarpet, Kodambakkam, Choolaimedu has saturated and does not have wide roads for accomodating Metro . Mono will be a good option
arun82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #224
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 221

Why argue about whether Chennai needs Metro, Mono, buses, bullock carts or something else? Transport needs are both variable and differ from individual to individual and from one part of the city to the other. Given that the outskirts are growing fast and the influx of people from different places, a multi-modal transport network is perhaps most suitable for the city. Metro Rail in densely populated areas of the city, mono-rail in poorer and less densely populated ones along with an upgraded bus service all over the city. No one thing can take care of all transport demands, it has to be a combination of several things.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #225
Mad 4 Madras
Mad 4 Madras

Likes (Received): 0

I suggest both bono and shyam to calm down a little, atleast wait till the DPR is released.
We must know answers for these basic questions first:
1) How much cars the monorail will be initially and how much it can be extended?
2) At what speed it can travel?
3) Which company is going to supply the cars? (If Scomi doesn't have the capacity to carry 40000pphpd and eventually they turned to be the least bidder and got shortlisted, then no point ranting Mono can carry same as metro)
And we also need to know which is the fastest/slowest/average operating monorails in the world, with how many cars and for how many KMs?

May be yes, mono is equal to metro, but are we getting it? There is no point in arguing both sides unless we are sure of what we are going to get.

Thats my thought. Either one of you will be right at some time later, but now its too early.

I feel we will reach 111pages in this thread before even starting to do the soil test.

-----------------------------------
Chennai One Stop Global City - Sooooooon

Last edited by Mad 4 Madras; August 13th, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Mad 4 Madras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #226
bharani.nitt

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoslack7 View Post
lol...I just gave a simple reason. All the negatives of monorail are known by everyone around the world and that is why metro is preferred in all the major cities. Most of the major cities that have a monorail/light rail regret having it.
Do you have any habit of going through the posts ? Or just keep ranting like a kid whose toffee was stolen .

In this same thread , Arul posted about Chongqing (which is a far bigger city than Chennai btw) going for a 300 km monorail network. Didn't you hear about Sao Paulo going for a comprehensive monorail network ?

I understand that you're a DMK supporter but don't be so vocal on forums. They might file a land grabbing case on you looking at your posts !
bharani.nitt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #227
bonoslack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharani.nitt View Post
Do you have any habit of going through the posts ? Or just keep ranting like a kid whose toffee was stolen .

In this same thread , Arul posted about Chongqing (which is a far bigger city than Chennai btw) going for a 300 km monorail network. Didn't you hear about Sao Paulo going for a comprehensive monorail network ?

I understand that you're a DMK supporter but don't be so vocal on forums. They might file a land grabbing case on you looking at your posts !
I did see his post. And in case you are blind to selective posts, please go through what shivakumar posted earlier before blabbering further. And do take your time to learn about why and where these two monorail lines are located.

lol...so you mean that admk supporters don't visit anna library or watch movies produced by koronanidhi's grandsons? Talk sense and stick to the topic of the thread.

Last edited by bonoslack7; August 13th, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #228
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Likes (Received): 895

Looks like Bono and shyam didn't read my posts.
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #229
TShyam

Fine guys. Let the DPR come. Atleast I am willing to consider both sides of the argument. If it turns out to be stupid, I would call it stupid.
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #230
bonoslack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad 4 Madras View Post
I suggest both bono and shyam to calm down a little, atleast wait till the DPR is released.
We must know answers for these basic questions first:
1) How much cars the monorail will be initially and how much it can be extended?
2) At what speed it can travel?
3) Which company is going to supply the cars? (If Scomi doesn't have the capacity to carry 40000pphpd and eventually they turned to be the least bidder and got shortlisted, then no point ranting Mono can carry same as metro)
And we also need to know which is the fastest/slowest/average operating monorails in the world, with how many cars and for how many KMs?

May be yes, mono is equal to metro, but are we getting it? There is no point in arguing both sides unless we are sure of what we are going to get.

Thats my thought. Either one of you will be right at some time later, but now its too early.

I feel we will reach 111pages in this thread before even starting to do the soil test.
yeah sorry, i think its better to wait for the next step...and i have realised that theres going to be a monorail, even if its flawed or not, or if people like it or not...but its a great disappointment as i expected at least 4 more metro lines within 15 years time to complete the 'chennai metro' in entirety.
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #231
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShyam View Post
Fine guys. Let the DPR come. Atleast I am willing to consider both sides of the argument. If it turns out to be stupid, I would call it stupid.
our arguments will become waste if low capacity mono was awarded and all monorails lines orginating from parrys! hope that does not happen.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #232
Arul Murugan

b/w this is my dream for monorail lines!!

bigger picture!

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #233
TShyam

Arul, This is just the current suburb+MRTS+metro right? Only the green lines are new and even that has a large overlap with the metro phase 2.
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #234
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Arul, This is just the current suburb+MRTS+metro right? Only the green lines are new and even that has a large overlap with the metro phase 2.
I'm guessing so.
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #235
bharani.nitt

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoslack7 View Post
I did see his post. And in case you are blind to selective posts, please go through what shivakumar posted earlier before blabbering further. And do take your time to learn about why and where these two monorail lines are located.

lol...so you mean that admk supporters don't visit anna library or watch movies produced by koronanidhi's grandsons? Talk sense and stick to the topic of the thread.
Lol. You should be the last one to talk about sticking to topic.

Create your own thread and keep ranting there.Noone actually wants to read your senseless rants in this thread.
bharani.nitt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #236
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:

Create your own thread and keep ranting there.Noone actually wants to read your senseless rants in this thread.
Now now, don't start a fight.
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #237
NewSprout

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Sir pleaseee....
NewSprout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #238
arun82

Likes (Received): 1465

PTC has invited expression of interest in ET from Firms for building Monorail on BOOT basis. The last date of submission is Sep 2011. The monorail work can be commenced by this year .This is going to be private funded project. Hope L&T bags this as they already have done mumbai Mono the only one monorail project in India.
arun82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #239
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Likes (Received): 13

Can you post the link for it?
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #240
Arul Murugan

good news... any tender doc released for this?

Quote:
IT corridor, north chennai is not in metro phases or neither they conducted any feasibility study. Yes Porur Mylapore matches with metro.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: