daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Mainland China Forum 中国论坛 > Culture & Heritage/文化与遗产

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #21
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 20

I'm not too familar with Indonesian history/culture lol.

I'm interested in Manchu culture and I'm aware of many influences it has on Chinese culture especially in the north. Can you give any examples where this is the case?

I know one is that the long tail hair thing is from Manchu style. I just believe if there was a Manchuria, it would add more diversity to this north east region with China, Manchuria, Mongolia, Korea & Japan.

I wish Korea was united though, it's a shame their apart!
Kuala Lumpur - Here
Beijing - Here
Chengdu - Here

Been To: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Macau, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Los Angeles, New York City, Washington DC, Toronto, Orlando, London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Salzburg, Budapest, Istanbul
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #22
landongsi

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelworld123 View Post
It would be cool to have a country called Manchuria today with it's own culture, cities, language etc...
No need to feel sorry for them, they brought this onto themselves. Had they stayed out of China and formed their own nation, there will probably be a Machurian nation now and not be assimilated. You win some, you lose some, and in their case, they won big and lost big.
landongsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #23
Pangu
中華民國

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
whatever the case, I'm saying that it's a shame that it's happened as it's always a shame when an element of culture is lost forever.
It would be cool to have a country called Manchuria today with it's own culture, cities, language etc...
It would also be "cool" to have multiple Native-American nations today with their own cultures, cities languages... etc.

Quote:
I know one is that the long tail hair thing is from Manchu style. I just believe if there was a Manchuria, it would add more diversity to this north east region with China, Manchuria, Mongolia, Korea & Japan.

I wish Korea was united though, it's a shame their apart!
So let's add more "diversity" in Northeast Asia by splitting up China even though the Manchu ethnic group is essentially completed Hanized and let's unite North & South Koreas (so we have one less country) even though the cultural differences between N & S Koreas are much greater than a modern Manch and a modern Han...
Pangu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #24
travelworld123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
It would also be "cool" to have multiple Native-American nations today with their own cultures, cities languages... etc.
yep that indeed would be awesome. I have nothing against USA, but I'm just saying that it would be interesting. Like alternate histories. Also South America/Central America. Like a modern Mayan state or Aztec state etc... don't you reckon it'll be 'cool'??

Quote:
So let's add more "diversity" in Northeast Asia by splitting up China even though the Manchu ethnic group is essentially completed Hanized and let's unite North & South Koreas (so we have one less country) even though the cultural differences between N & S Koreas are much greater than a modern Manchu and a modern Han...
I'm not counting numbers here. When I meant having a Manchurian nation, I didn't mean it forming out of today's context. I meant throughout history if the Manchu's obviously weren't Hanized/Sinicized and eventually formed it's own state however it's history may of played out.

I know N & S Korea have vast cultural differences, but if the events of WWII/Korean War etc... never played out the way it did, Korea would of been one like Vietnam. But that's nothing to do with the issue here.
Kuala Lumpur - Here
Beijing - Here
Chengdu - Here

Been To: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Macau, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Los Angeles, New York City, Washington DC, Toronto, Orlando, London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Salzburg, Budapest, Istanbul
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #25
Pangu
中華民國

Quote:
yep that indeed would be awesome. I have nothing against USA, but I'm just saying that it would be interesting. Like alternate histories. Also South America/Central America. Like a modern Mayan state or Aztec state etc... don't you reckon it'll be 'cool'??

I'm not counting numbers here. When I meant having a Manchurian nation, I didn't mean it forming out of today's context. I meant throughout history if the Manchu's obviously weren't Hanized/Sinicized and eventually formed it's own state however it's history may of played out.

I know N & S Korea have vast cultural differences, but if the events of WWII/Korean War etc... never played out the way it did, Korea would of been one like Vietnam. But that's nothing to do with the issue here.
My mistake then.

I have absolutely nothing against people fantasizing about "alternative history". In fact I do that myself sometimes.

I've mistaken you with someone who is serious about making drastic changes to modern politics without concerns to lives of hundreds of millions just to fulfill one's own curiousity.
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #26
travelworld123

sorry probably didn't state my post clearly lol
Kuala Lumpur - Here
Beijing - Here
Chengdu - Here

Old February 15th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #27
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 39

Chinese culture does have a tendency to silently dominate all those who come into contact with it. In fact it is a trait that Confucius observed: "those who enter Xia become Xia, those who enter Yi (barbarian lands) become Yi". "Barbarians" who invade China, or peacefully migrate and settle, or if their lands are absorbed into the Chinese empire, all eventually become Chinese, which has no precedent in history.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #28
maldini

Likes (Received): 63

I would nice to split and give all Australian lands back to the aboriginals so that diversity can be achieved.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #29
Huhu

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
I know one is that the long tail hair thing is from Manchu style.
Braided hair was not isolated to the Manchus (who were originally a tribe of the Jurchens), many steppe nomads on the northern frontier braided their hair in different styles.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #30
travelworld123

so theres no way to tell a manchu from a han chinese apart right? unless they somehow speak it or state it in their family ancestory?
Kuala Lumpur - Here
Beijing - Here
Chengdu - Here

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #31
Pangu
中華民國

Quote:
so theres no way to tell a manchu from a han chinese apart right? unless they somehow speak it or state it in their family ancestory?
As of today, there are no effective way to tell Manchus and Hans apart. The Manchu language is essentially dead and no one speaks it on a regular basis anymore. Also because many Manchus and Hans have intermarried in the past and ethnic minority groups in China tend to receive more benefits, most of the so-called Manchus are probably mixed with Han. I'm not too clear on PRC's requirements on proving your ancestry though.
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #32
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 544

It's been a dying language for over a century.
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #33
travelworld123

from the sources i've read, it seems manchurian and mongolian sound a little similar but mongolian is from the (controversial) altaic family where as manchurian is from the tungusic family
Kuala Lumpur - Here
Beijing - Here
Chengdu - Here

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #34
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★

Likes (Received): 1256

How Manchu language sounds

Some Manchu songs

big-dog liked this post
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #35
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★

Some Manchu culture

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #36
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★

Manchu History and Origin of Manchu

big-dog liked this post
Old January 18th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #37
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★

What do Hans think of Manchus?
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #38
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 18051

Barbarians?
When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China
Yellow Fever está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #39
HKG

Likes (Received): 2646

They loved Han culture and studied Han history so they wouldn't be barbaric.
HKG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #40
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 18051

all non han people were barbarians at that time.

When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.
When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.
Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Jack Ma, the richest man in China
Yellow Fever está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote