daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #121
_Pennywise_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

do you have a photo of the city during the winter?
_Pennywise_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #122
DU999
Ulusalcı

Likes (Received): 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaoh View Post
I was an exchange student living in Ankara 15 years ago. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have forgotten many of the aspects of the city, but looking at this thread has helped me to recollect some of my experiences.

I must say, I wasn't very impressed overall with Ankara when I lived there. Some parts felt boring/stale, due to the predominance of government facilities. Other parts felt run down. The suburbs were just beginning to expand.

That said, these photos show how far the city has come in the last 15 years. It looks much more vibrant and exciting. Part of the problem for me was that I spent much of my year living well outside of the city, due to my host families. One of my friends lived in Cankaya and I think she was definitely in a better location.

Also it's nice to see that there's better public transportation in place currently. I used to either have to ride a bus or take a Dolmus everywhere I wanted to go. Blah.

Anyway, thank you all for posting these great photos. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Cankaya was and is still the heart of the city it was always the home of night life, fashion etc. in Ankara. If you ask me Cankaya is the real Ankara. Of course the suburbs of Ankara developed during the last years but they can not compete with Cankaya.

Buses and dolmus like buses are still part of the "Ankarian" life. There are better transportation oppurtunities but it could have been done much more. Unfortunately, the city has a very bad mayor but for some unknown reason he is elected again and again.
Humankind is made up of two sexes, women and men. Is it possible for humankind to grow by the improvement of only one part while the other part is ignored? Is it possible that if half of a mass is tied to earth with chains that the other half can soar into skies?
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Last edited by DU999; September 26th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
DU999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #123
DU999
Ulusalcı

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Pennywise_ View Post
do you have a photo of the city during the winter?

Sorry I don't have but you can ask the guys in the turkish section of ssc.
Humankind is made up of two sexes, women and men. Is it possible for humankind to grow by the improvement of only one part while the other part is ignored? Is it possible that if half of a mass is tied to earth with chains that the other half can soar into skies?
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #124
DU999
Ulusalcı

More from Sögütözü

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #125
DU999
Ulusalcı

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #126
DU999
Ulusalcı

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #127
DU999
Ulusalcı

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
interesting

ive heard that alot, both from visitors to ankara and my turkish friends

the city seems a little lifeless, stale, it also seems to be tougher to live in in comparisson to western turkey, economicaly and socialy

it truely is a government city
It is a government city but also a city of students with 12 universities. Therefore it is not fair to say that Ankara is lifeless. You can't compare Ankara and Istanbul cuz Istanbul is another level. But believe me Ankara is definitely more colorful than some important european cities.
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #128
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 56708

Great and very nice new photos from Ankara, DU999
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #129
DU999
Ulusalcı

thank you christos more pics comming soon
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM   #130
DU999
Ulusalcı

one of the countless shopping malls

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #131
DU999
Ulusalcı

This is Gordion mall one of the new malls. I have criticized this project constantly during its construction but now I think different. I like it a lot cuz firts of all people who spend time in this mall are typical turkish middel class families. Futhermore the mall is not too small but also not too large and the brands that are reprensted in this mall are nice.

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Last edited by DU999; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #132
DU999
Ulusalcı

Cankaya district

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #133
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 56708

Quote:
Originally Posted by DU999 View Post
thank you christos more pics comming soon
Weclome ...and the new ones are also very good
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #134
Turknology
Felis Necropolitan

Likes (Received): 8189

image hosted on flickr
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #135
DU999
Ulusalcı

What do you want to tell us?
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #136
DU999
Ulusalcı

Atakule Tower (125m) and surrounding

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old October 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #137
DU999
Ulusalcı

View from Atakule

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #138
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 10919

I love Turkey - the little bit I have seen of it on holiday - and the people - most of all!

But can I be honest?

Some of the expensive, upmarket shopping malls I have seen - in Bodrum, and Turgutreis, for example, seem a bit lifeless, and in some way at odds with the prevailing culture.

Having read, and loved, Orhan Pamuk's various books and novels - I feel very much this tension at the heart of Turkish society - between its 'eastern' identity and its 'western' ( consumerist) 'aspirations'. This seems, to me, to be an irreconcilable dilemma at the heart of Turkish national identity.

What do you think about this?

Are my impressions correct?
openlyJane está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #139
DU999
Ulusalcı

There is no dilemma about the Turkish national identity. Turkey has a unique geographical location in this world which naturally has an effect on the people. Therfore I don't agree with your term "eastern identity" because Turkey is not just eastern it is also western and had/has a european history, too. I personally feel more south western than eastern. This feeling comes from culture and not a stupid union or whatever. But of course you will also find Turks who may feel more eastern but again this is how Turkey is. Some feel european, some middel eastern, some feel close to the turkic nations others to the balkans. This is the diverity of turkish people and turkish culture you know Turkey is still a multi ethnical country and as I said it has a unique location on the world map. I have to say that this diversity is sometimes a little annoying but it is not a dilemma.

I am not a fan of Orhan Pamuk.
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Last edited by DU999; October 17th, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #140
DarkLite
Usuario

Likes (Received): 4669

What a beautiful city! Looks very liveable, and I love how the orange tile roofs dominate the cityscape from above. The new towers look very interesting.
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote