daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South East

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1
ARROBA

Likes (Received): 3

Enugu | Enugu Monorail | Transport | U/C

I got this pictures from the brochure download from: http://www.igbocalgary.ca/Resources/...RE-Small-1.pdf

Last edited by ARROBA; September 26th, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
ARROBA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 25th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 395

great find ARROBA , i'll try to extract the pictures.

"We're Americans, we don't quit just 'cause we're wrong! We just keep doing the wrong thing 'till it turns out right!" - Boondocks
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #3
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

"We're Americans, we don't quit just 'cause we're wrong! We just keep doing the wrong thing 'till it turns out right!" - Boondocks
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #4
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #5
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #6
ARROBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR3TH View Post
great find ARROBA , i'll try to extract the pictures.
Thanks Gar3th. Just had all the pictures hosted on flicker...Dont know why they aren't coming up. If you can, please extract all the pictures.
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #7
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #8
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #9
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #10
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #11
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #12
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 88

Great findings. I hope the final works come out just the ways they are presented in the renderings.

Look forward to beautification of some of the areas showed on those images. And, curbing traffic has been a challenger for the leaders in Nigerian cities. The facts I collated from information online and my thoughts are problems ranging from citizens not obeying traffic, roads congestion to simple traffic lights not functioning.

This project will address such problems if well implemented. It's hard finding images and map of Enugu city to ascertain the viability and other importance of this project.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #13
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 88

Great findings. I hope the final works come out just the ways they are presented in the renderings.

I am looking forward to beautification of some of the areas showed on those images. And, curbing traffic has been a challenge for the leaders in Nigerian cities. The facts I collated from information online and my thoughts are problems ranging from citizens not obeying traffic to roads congestion and, simple traffic lights not functioning.

This project will address such problems if well implemented. It's hard finding images and map of Enugu city to ascertain the viability and other importance of this project.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #14
Tbite
Expert

Great update man
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #15
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Enugu To Launch Mono-Rail Transport Project

Quote:
Enugu State government has said that the first phase of its Mono-Rail Transport Project will soon be launched.Part of the project to be launched, known as “Red Line,” as disclosed by the Commissioner for Transport, Mr John Egbo, would take off from Agbani Road through Zik Avenue to Ogbete Market area of the state. He said the whole project would be completed by December.

Egbo said that his ministry had been working in collaboration with relevant government agencies to actualise the project.

“We hope to break the ground by December; but commencement will be in 36 months’ time,” Egbo said.

According to him, on completion, the project would be the most modern form of transportation to be established in the city.

The commissioner made it known that his ministry had ensured the regulation of the transport system in the state.

He said that the ministry established the new city taxis to guarantee smooth operation of the transport system in Enugu.

According to the commissioner, the new bus terminals, located at the new market and Ugwuaji, would decongest road traffic in the city.

“It has been the desire of Enugu State government and our ministry to decongest traffic in Enugu,” Egbo said.
http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index....t-project.html

Old November 24th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #16
ARROBA

Enugu monorail to gulp N39.7bn

The first phase of the 21- kilometre Enugu Monorail Project will cost $246m, the consultant, Canada-based engineering firm, Globim Corporation, has announced.

A statement by the Chairman of the firm, Dr Jude Igwemezie, in Enugu on Tuesday said the first phase of the project would have six lines.

It said the project, expected to be completed in three years, would run from Gariki through Agbani Road, Coal Camp, UNTH Road, Ogbete Market, Zik‘s Avenue, back to Agbani Road and looping on the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway.

The statement said the cost would cover building of the infrastructure and acquisition of sufficient trains to ensure viable operations.

It said that when completed, the train would have a minimum of four cars or coaches and six lines with a total capacity of 500 passengers at a speed of 80 km per hour.

“This will be the lowest cost of any monorail of similar size and capacity ever built anywhere. In all, the 117-km equivalent single line monorail system in Enugu will cost approximately $1.5bn.

“The monorail, which will be electrically powered on a straddle beam, will not depend on Nigeria’s epileptic power supply, as diesel generators strategically located on the lines will power the trains,” it said.

The statement announced that the project would be 100 per cent financed by Globim Corporation, which would deliver the best, safe and most conducive intra-city transportation system.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the project will be executed at no cost to the state government, while Globim will deliver over a concession period of 30 years from the initial opening and operation of the lines.

The statement quoted the state Commissioner for Transport, Mr John Egbo, as saying that government was satisfied with the expertise of Globim in rail engineering.

He said, “They have more than 150 years experience in financing, manufacturing, building, managing profitable rail system in America.

“Globim intends to utilise its new TGM-01 train-set designed to provide a combined seating and standing capacity of 550 passengers.‘‘

Egbo said the train would be air conditioned, while passengers would be able to move from one car to another in the trains.

He said that each train would be equipped with remote control, while anti-collision devices would be installed in them and tracks “to ensure that no two trains collide.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?t...20101124320981
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #17
ARROBA

Enugu Monorail System To Be Ready In 3 Years

The first phase of the 21- kilometre Enugu Monorail Project will cost 246 million dollars, the consultant, Canada-based engineering firm, Globim Corporation, has announced.

According to a statement by Chairman of the firm, Dr Jude Igwemezie, in Enugu on yesterday the project would have six lines.

It explained that the project which is expected to be completed in three years, would run from Gariki through Agbani Road, Coal Camp, UNTH Road, Ogbete Market, Zik's Avenue, to Agbani Road and looping on the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway.

The statement said that the contract cost would cover building of the infrastructure and acquisition of sufficient trains to ensure viable operations.

"This will be the lowest cost of any monorail of similar size and capacity ever built anywhere", he noted.

http://www.summitonlineng.com/compon...ady-in-3-years
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM   #18
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

these are old pictures but I forgot to post them

Quote:
Signing of the Enugu monorail agreement (L to R: Engineer. John Egbo, Commissioner for Transport, Enugu State; Mr. Martin Ilo, Secretary to the
State Government; Barrister Nduka Ikeyi, Enugu State Attorney General; His Excellency, Governor Sullivan Chime, Executive Governor of Enugu
State; Dr. Jude Igwemezie, P.Eng., Chairman, Globim Corporation; and Dr. Anthony Akachukwu, Senior Director, TransGlobim Nigeria Limited)

Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:49 AM   #19
ARROBA

I am having some doubt about enugu monorail thing...whether it will be built as there haven't been any update on this project.

Last edited by ARROBA; October 19th, 2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #20
Tbite
Expert

Enugu, Nigeria Monorail Sytem

Quote:
The word "Enugu" means "the top of the hill". It is also a mining town with significant coal deposits. From being the capital of the Southern Provinces, Enugu became the capital of the Eastern Region (now divided into nine States), then the capital of East Central State, Anambra State, (old) Enugu State, and now the capital of the present Enugu State through a process of state creation and diffusion of administrative authority. As a result, Enugu has a wealth of Nigerian Government investment in its infrastructure and institutions including those of higher learning. Enugu has a significant number of Universities and technical institutes and secondary schools. Therefore, Enugu is still viewed as the de facto capital of the Eastern region of Nigeria.

System Specifications
  • Phase-1 is 22 km of equivalent single track monorail running from Akwuke along Agbani road to Coal Camp - Ogbete - Market road - Zik Avenue - Agbani road and back to Akwuke.
  • Subsequent phases would link the monorail to the cities of Abakpa Nike, Emene, New Haven and Uwani
  • Project entails finance, survey, design, construction, and operating the line
  • Train capacity 500 to 660 people per train travelling up to 100 km/hr depending on station distance
  • Phase-1 projected timeline is 30 months to build after completion of survey and design
http://www.globim.com/enugu.html