daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old October 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #101
LCIII

Likes (Received): 575

Well actually the first response you got was from me and it was positive. That has to count for something.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 8th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #102
testdrive

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Whatever is or maybe built in Seattle for a possible NBA or NHL franchise will be an Awesome design and build,just look at the other pro teams venues!As an Oklahoma City resident,let me say that Seattle is a vibrant,cultured city who's residents love sports and I have NO doubt that Seattle will have either an NBA or NHL franchise in the not to distant future!FWIW,I hope that Seattle gets an NBA team and calls it the Sonics!
I am sure we appreciate your sentiments............thanks it was nice for you to say that. Don't take the other remarks personally.........for many it still strikes a raw nerve. We too understand how it all worked out..........I am thinking it is just an incredible frustration for those who really enjoy the game to not be able get some sort of satisfaction. There are rumors of behind the scenes things happening and if it pans out the moods will no doubt improve
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #103
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Well actually the first response you got was from me and it was positive. That has to count for something.
It does and Thank you!
Old October 8th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #104
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 157

Sooo.... Arena locations? Possibility of instituting the tax?
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #105
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 176

I'd love an NBA and an NHL team to return to Seattle, because I enjoy watching professional sports. However, I don't think that professional sports have enough direct economic benefit to the region to justify having taxpayer funds support them. Seattle is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country and anchors one of the largest media markets in the country, so it seems like it would make financial sense for the NBA and NHL to put teams in our area. I hope some rich person agrees and builds an arena and brings teams here.
I think the best place for an arena is in the City, since Seattle has enough infrastructure to handle an extra 20,000 people flooding into one neighborhood at one time reasonably well. But it might be that the only way for it to work out is if it's in Bellevue, and that's alright with me as long as it has transit access and isn't one of those stadiums surrounded by a sea of parking extending half a mile out on each side. I really don't think the Tacoma Dome would work, it's too far from the center of the region's population, and the other sites are nowhere near any good transit.
I think we'd have a shot at getting the Democratic National Convention with a nice new arena. Washington is sometimes considered a swing state, and anyways recent conventions have been held in Democratic strongholds like Chicago, LA, and Boston.
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #106
SeattleRedhawk86

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Come on dude,really?I didnt steal anything from you and OKC residents didnt steal anything from you!Clay Bennet,David Stern and ultimately Howard Schultz are to blame!I come on here to show my support for Seattle and thats the response I get?OK,Whatever but I still support the idea of Seattle getting an NBA or NHL franchise!
I didn't say that you or any Oklahoma City residents stole our NBA franchise, I was implying that their current ownership did. Many Sonics' fans would still rather have our old team back, and due to the pain of the whole ordeal and your location, you shouldn't be too surprised about my response to your post.
SeattleRedhawk86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #107
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 155

I'm more interested in possible locations than the politics (Mike Hope? Isn't he running for Snohomish County Executive with his sights on even higher office after that? lol).

If it had to be in the suburbs, Downtown Bellevue gets my vote. The Bel-Red area isn't developed enough yet, and I worry that they would just waste a bunch of space there with surface parking. I guess Renton is a fairly central location but I have trouble envisioning an arena there.

If it stayed in Seattle, the old Vision 46 proposal is still interesting even if it's unrealistic to change the use of Pier 46 like that.

What about having a new arena somewhere in or near the Clise properties?
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #108
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRedhawk86 View Post
I didn't say that you or any Oklahoma City residents stole our NBA franchise, I was implying that their current ownership did. Many Sonics' fans would still rather have our old team back, and due to the pain of the whole ordeal and your location, you shouldn't be too surprised about my response to your post.
OK,fair enough and your right I think Clay Clay is a big Douche!I still think Schultz' should have the most blame!Make no doubt about it though,Seattle when it gets another NBA franchise will have a very successful and rowdy crowd!
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #109
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
I'm more interested in possible locations than the politics (Mike Hope? Isn't he running for Snohomish County Executive with his sights on even higher office after that? lol).

If it had to be in the suburbs, Downtown Bellevue gets my vote. The Bel-Red area isn't developed enough yet, and I worry that they would just waste a bunch of space there with surface parking. I guess Renton is a fairly central location but I have trouble envisioning an arena there.

If it stayed in Seattle, the old Vision 46 proposal is still interesting even if it's unrealistic to change the use of Pier 46 like that.

What about having a new arena somewhere in or near the Clise properties?
Yes yes yes to the Pier 46 but HELL no to the Clise properties. If it's gonna be there it might as well just be in Key Arenas location. Luckily though the Clise family has made it clear that they aren't going to divide that property from the lump it is now and will only sell to someone who intends to make their vision a reality and that vision does not include an arena and parking lots.
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #110
LCIII

Would be awesome!
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #111
Sounder

Likes (Received): 7

Since the Seattle School District has constructed many on-campus athletic facilities, the Memorial Stadium location is another potential possibility for a Seattle Center arena. The potential stumbling blocks are the memorial aspect, which could be easily incorporated into the arena, and the loss of a large outdoor venue for the money bleeding Bumbershoot and other festivities at Seattle Center.
Sounder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #112
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Would be awesome!
Wow that would be Awesome but are there parking garages around or does a rail line make a stop in that area?
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #113
bgwah
honk!!!

^ That's the Vision 46 proposal I mentioned earlier that's from around a decade or so ago, so I'm not sure if they had any rail lines in mind, or even the DBT yet.

The shipping company that leases the pier has no intention of leaving though, and I don't think the port liked this idea very much. I still like it, though.
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #114
Doomgoggles
Unregistered non-user

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Wow that would be Awesome but are there parking garages around or does a rail line make a stop in that area?
Link has a Stadium Station just east of Safeco.

There is a decent amount of parking in that area, but the stadiums always want more.

ALSO: Wouldn't that proposal seriously cut into Port of Seattle capacity?
Doomgoggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #115
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomgoggles View Post
ALSO: Wouldn't that proposal seriously cut into Port of Seattle capacity?
Whereas that would be a reduction of port capacity, it is not unheard of for tenants to move to alternate locations. About 10-15 years ago, the Port of Tacoma got a couple of tenants from Port of Seattle.

My wish would be a Port of Puget Sound so that all the ports are working in Together instead of in competition.
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #116
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Whereas that would be a reduction of port capacity, it is not unheard of for tenants to move to alternate locations. About 10-15 years ago, the Port of Tacoma got a couple of tenants from Port of Seattle.

My wish would be a Port of Puget Sound so that all the ports are working in Together instead of in competition.

Would it still be physically split up between Tacoma and Seattle or would you have them consolidate? I do like the idea of a merger!
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #117
Doomgoggles
Unregistered non-user

Likes (Received): 137

You know, Everett could certainly use more traffic. I think we have the capacity.

EDIT: For the port space I mean, not the arena.
Doomgoggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #118
bgwah
honk!!!

Don't some spaces double as arena and convention spaces? I seem to remember the Washington State Convention Center wanting to expand.
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #119
LCIII

Was reading this article on PSBJ about how terrible the Mariners fan support is and I couldn't help but laugh at the earlier statement that MLS was a "distant fifth" to NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL- Not even remotely true in Seattle!

"rank No. 23, near the bottom of MLB rankings, drawing only an average of 23,411 fans per game this season, which is about 49 percent of Safeco Field’s capacity."

Sounders lead MLS with average attendance at 36,000+. And it's growing year on year.

Then I ran across this an just had to smile:

"In 2010, MLS average attendance was 16,675 spectators per game, a 4 percent increase over 2009. The NHL drew an average of 17,072 fans per game last season, a 3 percent drop from the year prior.

Among the largest crowds, the Seattle Sounders’ average of 36,173 MLS fans a game dwarfed the NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks, who drew an average 21,353 fans. The L.A. Galaxy also surpassed that figure, averaging 21,437. As MLS stadiums continue to expand and as the league continues to grow, so too should the league’s attendance numbers.

And for MLS, growth continues virtually across the board. Sixty percent of clubs – or 9 of the league’s 15 returning teams (not including the expansion Philadelphia Union) – experienced an increase in attendance.

Meanwhile, the NHL experienced a 66 percent decrease in average attendance with 20 of the league’s 30 teams posting lower attendance numbers in 2009-10 than 2008-09."

Distant fifth my ass.
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #120
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 879

Fewer games per season than baseball, so the aggregate number is significantly lower.

Tags
seattle