daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Old October 13th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #1
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

MSP | Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport

Quote:
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (IATA: MSP, ICAO: KMSP, FAA LID: MSP) is the largest and busiest airport in the five-state upper Midwest region of Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin.

In terms of passengers, Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport is the fifteenth busiest airport in the United States (2009), and thirtieth busiest airport in the world in 2008. A joint civil-military airport, MSP is also home to the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport Joint Air Reserve Station, supporting both Air Force Reserve Command and Air National Guard flight operations. Airlines out of Minneapolis/St. Paul International airport serve 134 nonstop markets from MSP, including 120 domestic and 14 international markets. Compared to other metropolitan areas in the United States, only Denver serves more non-stop markets per capita.

The airport, including both passenger terminal buildings, is mostly located in the Census-designated place of Fort Snelling in an unincorporated part of Hennepin County. Small sections of the airport are within the city limits of Minneapolis. The airport is across the Mississippi River from St. Paul. The terminal exits of the airport are minutes away from the Mall of America; careful flight pattern planning ensures that aircraft never fly over the mall at low altitude.

It is the third largest hub airport for Delta Air Lines and Delta Connection partners Compass Airlines, Mesaba Airlines, and Pinnacle Airlines (with Compass and Mesaba having headquarters nearby). It also serves as the home airport for Sun Country Airlines. Champion Air was based at the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport until the airline ceased operations in May 2008. Delta Air Lines accounts for more than 80% of the airport's passenger traffic. It is operated by the Metropolitan Airports Commission, which also handles operation of six smaller airports in the region. Other US airlines serving this airport include American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways, Frontier Arlines, Southwest Airlines and Sun Country Airlines.

Minneapolis/Saint Paul International Airport has two terminals, both of which were named for famous Minnesotans: the Lindbergh Terminal (named after the aviator Charles Lindbergh) and the much smaller Humphrey Terminal (named for former US Vice President Hubert Humphrey). Lindbergh Terminal officially has seven concourses, lettered A-G, with the Humphrey terminal labeled as Concourse H. The Lindbergh Terminal is designated as Terminal 1-Lindbergh and the Humphrey Terminal is designated as Terminal 2-Humphrey. The old Humphrey Terminal, built in the late 1970s, was rebuilt in 2001 to expand capacity and give passengers a more seamless experience.

Like many other airports, MSP interconnects with several other forms of transportation. Several large parking ramps are available for cars. Most other connections are made at the Hub Building and adjacent Transit Center, which has city and shuttle bus, taxi, light-rail, and rental car service. Two trams (people movers) are at the airport. One carries passengers from the main section of Lindbergh Terminal to the Hub Building, and another runs along the long Concourse C in that terminal.

The airport is near Fort Snelling, the site of one of the earliest European settlements in the area. Both the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers flow nearby. Minnesota State Highway 5 provides the closest entrance to the Lindbergh Terminal, just a short distance from Interstate 494. The Humphrey Terminal is accessed via the 34th Avenue exit from I-494, which runs past Fort Snelling National Cemetery. Delta Air Lines has hangars arranged along I-494 and 34th Avenue, so it's possible to see airliners undergoing maintenance while driving past.

The Blue Line light-rail has stops at both the Hub Building (Lindbergh Station) and Humphrey Terminal (Humphrey Station). It connects the airport with downtown Minneapolis as well as with the Mall of America in nearby Bloomington, and operates as a shuttle service between the two airport terminals. Travelers can use the rail line to go between the two sites at all times; it is the only part of the line that operates continuously through the night (the rest shuts down for about four hours early in the morning). Passengers going between the two terminals may ride free of charge, but those riding beyond the airport grounds must pay a standard fare. Two parallel tunnels for the line run roughly 70 feet (20 meters) below the airport, and at 1.7 miles (2.7 km) in length are the longest tunnels on the route. The Lindbergh Terminal station is the only one underground on the line, as the rails return to the surface near Humphrey Terminal. Due to current concerns about terrorism, a great deal of effort went into ensuring that the tunnels are highly blast-resistant. The underground portion was the costliest section of the entire rail project.

The airport has three airline lounges, all located in the Main Terminal: two Delta Air Lines Sky Clubs and one United Airlines United Club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneap...tional_Airport
image hosted on flickr

DSC_3745_Minneapolis Airport by la1akim, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis airport by hippofairy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

minneapolis airport by mk30, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis airport Wireless by brewbooks, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis Airport by YoshioHosaka, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Fanciest DQ - Minneapolis Airport by PeteyIsCuterThanHerb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

"moving walk" at Minneapolis airport 1 by brewbooks, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Inside The Minneapolis Airport by LI Refugee, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis Airport by sfPhotocraft, on Flickr

Last edited by diablo234; October 13th, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #2
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

A video of the two train systems at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. One connects the rental car garage/light rail station with the Lindburgh Terminal and one runs alongside Concourse C in the Lindburgh Terminal.

Old October 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #3
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

International Destinations served directly from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP) as of 2011:

Toronto-Pearson

Calgary
Edmonton
Montreal-Trudeau
Regina
Saskatoon
Toronto-Pearson
Vancouver
Cancun (seasonal)
Cozumel (seasonal)
Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo (seasonal)
Mazatlan (seasonal)
Puerto Vallarta (seasonal)
San Jose del Cabo Cancun (seasonal)
Cozumel (seasonal)
Mazatlan (seasonal)
San Jose del Cabo (seasonal)
Punta Cana (seasonal)
Montego Bay (seasonal)
Grand Cayman (seasonal)
Liberia
Amsterdam
London-Heathrow
Paris-Charles de Gaulle
Tokyo-Narita

Reykjavik-Keflavik (seasonal)

Cancun (seasonal)
Cozumel (seasonal)
Mazatlan (seasonal)
San Jose del Cabo (seasonal)
Punta Cana (seasonal)
Montego Bay (seasonal)
Grand Cayman (seasonal)
St. Maarten (seasonal)
Liberia (seasonal)
London-Gatwick (seasonal)

Last edited by diablo234; October 14th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #4
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis St Paul Airport Tram by Roger Penguino, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis Airport, Southwest Airlines by michaelgass, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis St Paul Airport by Roger Penguino, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MSP Minneapolis airport no. 3393 by Eric E Johnson, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP) by Boris071, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Light rail station at MSP Airport by Brady Dorman, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Light Rail, MSP Airport by Mr. History, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MSP Airport (Lindbergh Terminal) - Entrance by jbenson2, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Airport Mall Section of Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport by LI Refugee, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MSP by sfPhotocraft, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

5 - MSP Airport by Sotosoroto, on Flickr

Disclaimer: I am not sexist, racist, or prejudiced in any way or form. I hate everyone equally.

TiagoSS liked this post

Last edited by diablo234; October 13th, 2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #6
IsaanUSA

Likes (Received): 4

I recently had a connecting Delta flight through this airport. WOW!! Very nice! Shopping, restaurants, nice seating, IPADs, AC and USB charging all over the place. I could hardly even tell that I was in an airport. This has got to be one of the nicer airports that I have been to in my life.

Scrapernab2 liked this post
IsaanUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Benn

Likes (Received): 57

The C and G concourses are really pretty good these days, E and F could use some help though. It's certainly not Munich, Zurich or the serious Asian airports, but I suppose its not too bad by American standards. The plans to improve the food selection with some of the better local chefs seems like a really smart move. And I really hope the expansion and new international facility goes through before too long, that side of things really does need to improve if we want expansion in the international sector.

However we can officially add Air France to the list of carriers, with daily seasonal service to CDG with an a340. Nice to have a tiny bit of diversity making its way in.

Last edited by Benn; February 27th, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #8
Benn

New dining at MSP + iPads everywhere. Well we certainly aren't going to be seeing any James Beard awards out of the airport, by airport standards the options look really good.

Shoyu -(Japanese, especially fresh made noodles, with Koshiki Yonemura Smith)
http://otgmanagement.com/data/experi...terior%202.jpg

Minnibar ("world cuisine" and alchohol, with Andrew Zimmerman of all people)
http://harrisontile.com/images/project9high.jpg

Mimosa (Mediteranean, raw bar, oysters with Russel Klein)

http://otgmanagement.com/data/experi...0Arch%201b.jpg

Also (but not pictured) Mill City Tavern (Locally sourced, moderately high end in conjunction with Lenny Russo), Vero (Thin crust pizza with Ann Kim), Volante (Modern Italian, with Doug Flicker). Definitely stepping the food game up, Shoyu and Mimosa are both supposed to be really solid by any standards much less airport food, and I can't imagine Lenny Russo being involved with anything short of excellent.

ovnours liked this post

Last edited by Benn; February 27th, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #9
IsaanUSA

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah Benn, this is exactly what I saw the other week. Very nice photos.

I don't know which Asian airports are "serious", but I've been to many airports in Asia, and this beats them all.
IsaanUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Benn

Goood to hear it ranks so high for some people, and in terms of food quality like that I don't know of any airports (especially outside of business class lounges) that are keeping up off the top of my head. Finding places serving fresh made soba, much less finding Bison ribeye or an oyster bar next to your gate is pretty unique. But keep in mind those are only on the G concourse, If you are flying out of E Burger King or Chili's is about as good as one can expect, and they could generally use some work. D and F aren't quite on par either. A/B/C are fine and since they serve short haul and commuter flights fine dining isn't really a concern or spaces to hang out for longer periods of time.

Last edited by Benn; February 28th, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:33 AM   #11
Jota_bog
J

Likes (Received): 232

I was in MN 15 years ago as an exchange student and wow how this airport has changed. I remember it being all NW... i even flew MSP to SFO on a 757.

I remember the planes on app over the mall of america. one of my fav views.

Hope i can come back soon.
BOG-MIA-BOG AV
Jota_bog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #12
achybo

Likes (Received): 192

Antonov AN-225 at MSP airport by Mspdude on Flickr

Antonov An-225 at MSP by MSPdude, on Flickr

EK413, ovnours liked this post
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #13
Benn

Man that was cool to see in person, way bigger the 747-400 sitting at the G concourse. Not as loud as I would have guessed though, didn't seem much louder than a 747 and definitely not as loud as the C-5s when they have been in town.
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #14
nasa35

Likes (Received): 37

that is one ugly plane!
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 07:50 AM   #15
achybo

Likes (Received): 192

MSP Airport Aerial by MSPdude, on Flickr

By Mspdude on Flickr

ovnours liked this post
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:47 AM   #16
ovnours
вежливый

Likes (Received): 18326

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa35 View Post
that is one ugly plane!
U serious?
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:19 PM   #17
mrsashko

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa35 View Post
that is one ugly plane!
Ok, don't fly on it
mrsashko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:49 AM   #18
Chauncey87

Likes (Received): 8

This airport has one of the most straight forward layouts you could think of a rectangle with two sort of "t.v." antennas poking out of the northwest side of Terminal 1. Then you have Terminal 2 while much smaller with only one concourse being even easier to navigate. Only a fool would become lost at MSP airport.

I also have a to ask how the seasonal non-stop to Frankfurt is preforming? Anybody flown this route and care to give any feedback?
Chauncey87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
minnesota, us airports