daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Urban Transport

Old October 31st, 2011, 11:22 AM   #961
Letter16

Likes (Received): 1

this makes me so sick

Residents of Johannesburg's suburbs along Oxford Road welcomed the decision to reroute the Rea Vaya bus rapid transit system (BRT) to Louis Botha Avenue.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/201...s-route-change
Letter16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 31st, 2011, 01:01 PM   #962
nomnolence

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter16 View Post
this makes me so sick

Residents of Johannesburg's suburbs along Oxford Road welcomed the decision to reroute the Rea Vaya bus rapid transit system (BRT) to Louis Botha Avenue.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/201...s-route-change
I certainly wasn't one of the people living along the planned route that opposed it. Why didn't they ask me instead of this snooty *****?
nomnolence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #963
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Likes (Received): 210

Rea Vaya buses go hi-tech

November 10 2011 at 12:39pm
By Botho Molosankwe
INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS
A Rea Vaya bus pulling out at its Orlando bus stop in Soweto, Joburg. Photo: Leon Nicholas.

Cameras, driver-monitoring systems, luggage racks, heaters, higher windows for better ventilation and an improved wheelchair area for easy accessibility.

Rea Vaya is going hi-tech, and these are improvements that will be featured in the new fleet of buses that the City of Joburg is busy procuring, and which will form phase B of the bus rapid transit (BRT) system.

It is not yet known just when the new buses will start running, but City of Joburg mayoral committee member for transport Rehana Moosajee said the idea was to obtain them locally, and that they would be able to speak about time frames only after finding out whether local bus manufacturers have the capacity.

To avoid accidents that may happen when drivers drive off while some passengers are still boarding, the cameras will enable the driver to see that everyone is inside and not caught at the door. The driver-monitoring system will help passengers monitor the driver’s speed and driving habits.

Many commuters have complained of cold buses in the early morning in winter, so heaters will be added to ease the chill.
Some commuters have requested air-conditioning, which the council says it won’t be able to afford, but the configuration of windows will be changed. They will be higher for better ventilation.

The old wheelchair mechanism that allows access into the bus will also be changed.The new buses will feature a collapsible new mechanism that is also light in weight and easy to carry for the bus marshals to roll over at the entrance of the bus and allow wheelchairs inside. Shoppers will have a luggage rack so that they can store their goods in a safe and convenient manner.

The changes are a result of interaction between the council and commuters. The city placed pamphlets in the buses, asking commuters to suggest changes that would improve the buses.

The changes will not end there. The council is also ending the old system of paying for tickets at stations. From March, BRT users will use smart cards on which they will have to load trips. Moosajee said the commuters would have to place their cards at the electronic machines at the stations, and the glass doors would open automatically. The commuter would proceed to the bus and put the card on the machine again at the end of the trip to get out of the station.
The machine would then calculate the distance the commuter travelled in the bus and bill them accordingly.

“We want to integrate it so that when BRT workers are on strike, it can be used for rail as well as Metrobus, so that one is not tied to one transport mode,” said Moosajee.

Rea Vaya unveiled its dreadlocked lion-like mascot, called RV, on Wednesday in a bid to attract more customers. - The Star

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...tech-1.1175562
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #964
Transit2203

Likes (Received): 0

To express my love for public transport in Joburg I have created the Johannesburg Metrobus/Brt/Gautrain bus map. Simply 'google' it. Hopefully it will make bus travel in this great city less confusing
Transit2203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #965
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit2203 View Post
To express my love for public transport in Joburg I have created the Johannesburg Metrobus/Brt/Gautrain bus map. Simply 'google' it. Hopefully it will make bus travel in this great city less confusing
Love of Joburg public transport? Ok.....

Why not just post the link?
Inertia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #966
Transit2203

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie...94955451479df9
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #967
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Quote:
NEW REA VAYA ROUTE OPEN

Another milestone for Rea Vaya: an express service and new stations are open as from today. Passengers can now travel direct from Soweto to Park Station and Metro Centre in Braamfontein.

See link for more. Still waiting for the introduction of ticket-less payment, was promised but just never seemed to happen as far as I'm aware.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM   #968
Transit2203

I'm a little confused as to how it runs to Metro Centre if this new station is yet to open. From what I understand, once in Braamfontein it heads east where it meets existing trunk route to Ellis Park. It is temporary until 1b opens proper
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM   #969
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit2203 View Post
I'm a little confused as to how it runs to Metro Centre if this new station is yet to open. From what I understand, once in Braamfontein it heads east where it meets existing trunk route to Ellis Park. It is temporary until 1b opens proper
Perhaps it bypasses the station.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #970
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
Perhaps it bypasses the station.
The whole thing still confuses me. When are the stations opening for 1B?
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #971
Transit2203

Apart from the few that opened yesterday. I believe the rest of 1b will open later this month
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:59 PM   #972
Jakes1
Jakes1

Went on a bit of an exploration yesterday. Library to Joubert Park. R8 both ways. Considering that the Art Museum is free, this was quite a nice outing. R16 for parking my car. R8 for the bus. R24 for total outing.

The busses are really busy, even during off-peak times. All the stations had people milling about. I took the C3 which loops through Braamfontein. Really a nice way to see the city. T1 busses to Soweto were PACKED later in the afternoon. System has a few glitches, and for me as a non-regular it was a bit confusing to know which bus to take (compared to CTs bus). But the ticketing system works better than CT (in CT I didn't pay for a lot of rides because I did not know where to swipe, and no-one checked on me). Also liked CTs swanky cards, compared to Joburg's paper tickets.

Friendly staff. Bus drivers are quite hectic, constantly hooting and shoo-ing people out of the way (too many pedestrians and clueless cars!). But overall a very nice city experience. Didn't feel unsafe at any time. Joubert Park area needs love. We all know that. But nice to see the old Landrost Hotel with its new colourful facade. The network of stations are quite expansive, and nice to see them right by the Gautrain, for future integration.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM   #973
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
Went on a bit of an exploration yesterday. Library to Joubert Park. R8 both ways. Considering that the Art Museum is free, this was quite a nice outing. R16 for parking my car. R8 for the bus. R24 for total outing.

The busses are really busy, even during off-peak times. All the stations had people milling about. I took the C3 which loops through Braamfontein. Really a nice way to see the city. T1 busses to Soweto were PACKED later in the afternoon. System has a few glitches, and for me as a non-regular it was a bit confusing to know which bus to take (compared to CTs bus). But the ticketing system works better than CT (in CT I didn't pay for a lot of rides because I did not know where to swipe, and no-one checked on me). Also liked CTs swanky cards, compared to Joburg's paper tickets.

Friendly staff. Bus drivers are quite hectic, constantly hooting and shoo-ing people out of the way (too many pedestrians and clueless cars!). But overall a very nice city experience. Didn't feel unsafe at any time. Joubert Park area needs love. We all know that. But nice to see the old Landrost Hotel with its new colourful facade. The network of stations are quite expansive, and nice to see them right by the Gautrain, for future integration.
Thanks for this. I guess the bus drivers are taking queues from their taxi driver past. It really did grate me when I took Rea Vaya to see the hundreds of pedestrians milling about the road and bus lanes... It's a road people, not a park!!

I see Tom is doing a Rea Vaya special - should be fun.
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #974
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Likes (Received): 210

It's on the way (for real this time?)
Quote:
PREPARE FOR SMART CARDS
Friday, 07 September 2012

Station staff are being trained in the new Automatic Fare Collection system that will make life easier and more efficient for commuters.

THE days of paper tickets are numbered – the smartcard is here. And to ensure a smooth migration to the new ticketing system, Rea Vaya is arming its staffers with hands on training in Automatic Fare Collection (AFC).

For the training, which started on 4 September, station ambassadors and cashiers took time off their duties to learn about the technical and theoretical operation of the new computer system. They also learned how to manage customer queries effectively during the transition period.

More staffers will undergo the training, which will run until 13 September.

During the session, staff interacted with experts and Rea Vaya senior staff. They included the senior marketing and liaison officer, Nomalizo Xabana; the operations manager, CBD, Steven Chauke; and Thendo Ratshitanga, a project manager from Grounded Media, who facilitated the presentation.

Staffers constantly asked questions to find out if their computer system would make their work more efficient. One of the advantages that impressed cashiers was that they would no longer have to complete reports at the end of every shift anymore. The computer would print the report automatically when the cashier completed his or her work.

They were also excited when Ratshitanga assured them that the smart card would alleviate long queues. “Yes, in the first days we might experience long queues as the commuters will still be buying the tickets, but in a long run we are sure to have fewer people,” said Ratshitanga.

Among station staff members who were pleased to learn about the new computer system was Kenneth Mudau, a station ambassador. “We do not have to deal with long queues anymore. Especially at my section, where we are currently sitting with long queues, [it is] sometimes a burden to our cashiers. I am looking forward to it.”

No mistakes

Rea Vaya ambassadors took time off to learn about the operation of the new computer system
Other staff agreed with his sentiments. Nondumiso Nxumalo, an ambassador at Rea Vaya control room, said: “The automated system will eliminate human error. Everything will be recorded electronically.”

Xabana advised cashiers and station ambassadors to spread the news by word of mouth, and should tell commuters to get their smart cards early in the run up to the officials start date of smart cards.

The cards will be issued for free of charge for the first three months. “Remember, you are our representatives at the station. You have to develop some sort of sales and marketing skills through this whole period.”

The closing date for free giveaway cards is 28 February; thereafter, the cards will be sold for R20 each. Commuters are urged to bring along their identify documents for registration. Children who do not yet qualify for ID books must bring along a birth certificate and must be accompanied by an adult.

The AFC system will be officially launched on 12 November, but will go live on 26 November. However the last day for paper ticket sales will be 31 January. Xabana this was to allow commuters to adapt to the changes.

Customer care centres will be up and running on 19 November. So far, customer services have been announced for five stations, including Carlton Centre, Joburg Art Gallery, Mavumbi, and Orlando Police Station.

But commuters are urged to register early for smart cards to avoid the last minute rush; pre-registration through SMS and the internet will open on 22 October. It will open at selected stations on 12 November.

User friendly

The computer system is designed to be user friendly. The computers have touch screen features and respond quickly to transactions.

The system is tried and tested. It is used in countries like Denmark, and it has been a runaway success, according to Yolanda Soden, the technical trainer at Traffic Management Technologies.

Unlike the paper tickets now in use, commuters will not have to buy tickets daily. They will simply need a card, on which they can load money in their own time.

All Rea Vaya station will be fitted with card reader machines. Commuters will have to tap in on to the reader to open the gate into the stations, and they will only be billed when they tap out at their destination.

This will eliminate the current single trip paper ticket system, which is based on three flat fares for feeder and trunk routes. With a smart card, commuters will pay only for the distance travelled.

But the usefulness of the smart card does not end on the bus and at stations; customers will be able to buy groceries for up to R200 in selected stores where there is a master card sign displayed.
Source
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #975
Jakes1
Jakes1

Cards launching 31 January 2013. Fingers crossed.
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #976
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 282

Register? Id? For a transport card? Wtf
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #977
Nostra

Likes (Received): 610

A R131 million Rea Vaya depot unveiled

The Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system took another significant step forward this week when Johannesburg Executive Mayor Parks Tau officially opened a R131 million bus depot in Meadowlands, Soweto.

BRT, popularly as Rea Vaya, started its operations in 2009 – running its first phase of services between Soweto and Ellis Park.

The second phase – between Noordgesig and Parktown – comes into operation in July 2013. There are plans in place to expand the network further to connect communities in Alexandra and Sandton.

In his speech marking the opening of the depot, Mayor Tau said the new development underscored an important landmark in the transformation of the public transport system in Johannesburg.

“We have every reason to celebrate this facility [that stands] in the middle of Soweto, a facility that compares favourably with the best in the world. It is also appropriate that we should celebrate the pioneers within the public transport sector, who were at the forefront of campaigning for an improved public transport system for Johannesburg,” said Tau.

The custom-built state-of-the-art depot stands on an eight-hectare piece of and, about 600 metres from Tshepo Themba Private Hospital. It has a capacity to cater for 270 buses at a time. At present the facility, which remains the property of the City of Johannesburg, houses the current fleet of 143 buses, which all belong to the operating company, Piotrans.

Piotrans, whose 300 shareholders are local taxi operators, has a 12-year contract with the City of Johannesburg to run the bus service.

Mayor Tau said the contribution made by the taxi leadership that spearheaded the BRT project was pivotal in transforming public transport in the city. The improvement of public transport meant the improvement of the quality of life for the residents of Johannesburg, he said.

Residents living in close proximity of the site will not be affected by the development. A noise barrier wall has been installed to minimise noise levels of bus movements. The buses themselves use a cleaner diesel, Euro 4 that does not pollute the environment.

The City also has invested in the upgrading of Forbes Road nearby. Traffic calming measures will be provided to enforce acceptable levels of speed.

Related stories

Read more: http://www.joburg.org.za/index.php?o...#ixzz2DS5zHzw6
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #978
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
Cards launching 31 January 2013. Fingers crossed.
Cards actually launched from 26 November 2012 and the last day for paper tickets will be 31 January 2013.

THE NEW REA VAYA
SMARTCARD* IS COMING!
• If you’re tired of standing in queues to buy your ticket why not sign
up for a Rea Vaya Smartcard?
• The new card helps you travel smarter, faster and securely!
• You no longer have to carry cash with you to pay for your bus fare
and now you only pay for the distance you travel.
• Register before 28 February and get your card for free from these
stations: Thokoza Park, Ellis Park East & a roving registration desk at
a station (check the schedule for more info).
More info available at Customer Care Centres from mid November: Carlton
Centre East, Art Gallery, Mavumbi, Diepkloof, Orlando Police Station.
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #979
HigerBigger

REA VAYA SMARTCARD
THE MODERN WAY TO PAY

Get the new Rea Vaya Smartcard* and start enjoying the perks!
No more queues to get your tickets, pay only for the distance you travel
and you can even use your Smartcard at stores that
display the Mastercard PayPass logos.
To get in on the action you can pre-register and be one of the
first to receive your new card for free!
The new system launches on 26 November 2012.
31 December 2012 is the last day you will be able to buy paper tickets
and 31 January 2013 is the last you can use your
paper tickets.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #980
HigerBigger

Tags
johannesburg