daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2011, 04:32 AM   #81
LCIII

Likes (Received): 695

The DC one did have produce. It just didn't seem to be people's first choice for groceries and rather just a convenience thing because they were already there.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 17th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #82
k2000k

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Linguist View Post
Why haven't we seen a Safeway or QFC open downtown? That's what I want to know. Imagine being able to live downtown and actually walk to the store to get medicine, diapers, or tampons at 3 o'clock in the morning. Like in a real city.

Probably because Safeway and QFC feel that there isn't enough potential shoppers in the area to warrant one. It's sort of a chicken and the egg thing you know? No one wants to live in an area without a grocery store but no grocery store wants to locate in an area where few people live. I know a bunch of the residents in Pioneer Square are hoping that the project will include a grocery store. But it really isn't up to the developer, sure they can build a space large enough to hold a store, but I have a feeling that the developers would want some sort of verbal promise to move into the space from some sort of grocer before making that sort of investment.
k2000k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #83
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 628

If no other stores were nearby, it might be a good location for one. But the IGA Kress, the Pike Place Market, Uwajimaya, and at least one place in PS that's larger than a corner store all take some of its potential market share. It's similar to Belltown in that regard, except Belltown has way more residents. A major supermarket (Metropolitan Market is the best) would be nice to have and fill a gap, but it's not a big enough gap.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #84
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If no other stores were nearby, it might be a good location for one. But the IGA Kress, the Pike Place Market, Uwajimaya, and at least one place in PS that's larger than a corner store all take some of its potential market share. It's similar to Belltown in that regard, except Belltown has way more residents. A major supermarket (Metropolitan Market is the best) would be nice to have and fill a gap, but it's not a big enough gap.
Oh so you're saying that those three stores basically fill the gap downtown? Maybe, but none of them is open 24 hours. And there are tens of thousands of people served by these stores. Seems kind of unfair. Oh, well.
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #85
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 628

There's still a gap, but not enough of one.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #86
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 1037

How big of a draw is a 24 hr. grocer? I live 2 blocks from the Broadway Market, and I don't think I've ever been there during off hours. Quite honestly, I wish grocers were closed on holidays, but that may be the beginnings of curmudgeondom.
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #87
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
Quite honestly, I wish grocers were closed on holidays, but that may be the beginnings of curmudgeondom.
I don't get this. How come?
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #88
Capitol Hill

I just feel that we aren't being fair to the employees of these stores. We forgot the cranberry sauce or didn't get enough wine? Tough, we should have planned better. Trust me, I have a job that I have to work on a holiday, its tough, but I knew that going in. Shopping can be stopped for a few, select 24 hr. periods during the year. I can remember when grocery stores were closed on Sundays and we got along fine. I don't expect most of you to agree with me, nor am I trying to convince anybody to see things my way, I just think that the holidays should be spent with your loved ones, not selling me something.
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #89
k2000k

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
How big of a draw is a 24 hr. grocer? I live 2 blocks from the Broadway Market, and I don't think I've ever been there during off hours. Quite honestly, I wish grocers were closed on holidays, but that may be the beginnings of curmudgeondom.
That's a good question. I've been in 24 hour groceries late at night all over Seattle or the eastside and I can't recall there ever being more than a couple people. Sometimes it was just me. I wonder if grocers simply offer the service knowing they will loss money during that time frame but afraid of the potential long term customer loss if they didn't offer 24 hours but a rival did.
k2000k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #90
LCIII

Any news actually pertinent to this project?
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #91
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
I just feel that we aren't being fair to the employees of these stores. We forgot the cranberry sauce or didn't get enough wine? Tough, we should have planned better. Trust me, I have a job that I have to work on a holiday, its tough, but I knew that going in. Shopping can be stopped for a few, select 24 hr. periods during the year. I can remember when grocery stores were closed on Sundays and we got along fine. I don't expect most of you to agree with me, nor am I trying to convince anybody to see things my way, I just think that the holidays should be spent with your loved ones, not selling me something.
I hear ya. Keep that in mind, there are some people are not celebrating holidays or don't mind to work on holidays because some places pay more for working on holidays. Few friends of mine who work in retail told me that they will get paid twice by working on Thanksgiving nights. They don't complain about it.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #92
Rogue Linguist

Quote:
If they're a big enough draw for, say, Factoria, I wager they're a big enough draw for downtown.
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #93
Rogue Linguist

Quote:
Well, some people want to work on holidays because they get paid over-time, and they don't really care about holidays.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #94
Capitol Hill

Again, as I said, I'm not trying to convince anybody to change their minds, I was simply answering the question of why I felt the way I did about shopping on holidays or 24 hour openings.
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #95
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 610

OMG. Game changer indeed!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...orthlot07.html
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #96
CrazyAboutCities

WOW! I like it!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #97
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 181

ooh, I actually like it! Looks like they scaled it down from 700 units to 500, though.
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #98
zappa

Likes (Received): 17

Hopefully the preservation board will consider the impact of having a signature tower like this drawing in urban buyers attracted to the design/destination allure as opposed to whether everything has to 'fit in' with what is already there. A bland box which has no architectural draw is unlikely to draw the buyers/renters Pioneer Square needs to revitalize the neighborhood.
zappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #99
LCIII

Wow! Amazing! I do hope they allow this and add this beauty to our skyline! How awesome!
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #100
seveneleven

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.northlotdevelopment.com/overview.html
seveneleven no está en línea   Reply With Quote