daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #281
london-b
βAŇŇĘÐ

Likes (Received): 487

Haha, I might take a shortcut to central London and drive on the midland mainline.
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 9th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #282
mr_jrt

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwmbwls View Post
http://www.busandcoach.com/newspage....6&categoryid=0

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams

QED

Bike crushed on Cambridge busway

A bicycle has been crushed on the Cambridge guided busway. The cyclist was using the busway track when his bike was struck by a Stagecoach bus. The cyclist jumped clear before the collision.

Andy Campbell, managing director of Stagecoach’s Cambridge business, says: “A cyclist thought it was all right to travel down the busway even though buses are up and down there every ten minutes travelling at 56mph. The driver approached and blew his horn to warn the rider but he had earphones in.

“As the bus got close he jumped off his bike and left the bike on the track and the bus ran over it.”

Unquote
As mentioned elsewhere...why didn't the bus driver stop? There consequences could have been nasty...let alone the unnecessary disruption and damage to both the bus and the bicycle.
mr_jrt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #283
Mwmbwls

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
As mentioned elsewhere...why didn't the bus driver stop? There consequences could have been nasty...let alone the unnecessary disruption and damage to both the bus and the bicycle.
Reasonable question - probably one of those split second judgement calls when faced with the unexpected. You can be sure that it won't be unexpected again.
Another reasonable question is the busway protected by signage indicating cycles etc are prohibited? I have not had chance to visit it yet.
The possibly lethal mix of cyclists and earphones rings a few bells. How many cyclists injured in London in collision with trucks were wearing earphones. We always seem to assume the truck driver is in the wrong but could there be a hitherto unrecognised significant contributory factor here. Do the police take this into account?
Mwmbwls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #284
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 291

Lorrys have large blind spots. The big danger spot is to be beside them when they decide to turn left. If they have overtaken a bike then they will know they are there but if a bike comes to a stop on the inside of a lorry at some traffic lights and they have not seen them, the light changes and if there are railings then squish.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #285
uk-highspeed
High Speed Rail Fan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Another reasonable question is the busway protected by signage indicating cycles etc are prohibited? I have not had chance to visit it yet.
No, but it's pretty obvious not to cycle on the busway, plus there is a dedicated cycleway alongside most of the route (albeit of variable surface quality). There are car traps at most of the busway junctions, with signage, but there are several small breaks in the guideway where cycles could be tempted to join... impossible to put up signs to deter every idiot or dozy fool.
uk-highspeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #286
Micbuk

Likes (Received): 0

Sump smashers ???

(Thats what we have in Reading). Also known as car killers.
Micbuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #287
Mwmbwls

Any tidings as to the operational reliability and/or customer reaction to the new system?
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #288
uk-highspeed
High Speed Rail Fan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Any tidings as to the operational reliability and/or customer reaction to the new system?
The publicity machine was spouting how popular it has been, especially over the first few weeks. I don't use it enough to give you a meaningful answer, but I've experienced buses not turning up, or running late, and overcrowding. I've not yet heard of a bus breaking down mid-busway, which would obviously cause the most chaos (as impossible to overtake).
Little things annoy me about the buses themselves - air conditioned, yet they still fitted opening windows which of course customers will open so destroys the air con.
In general, as much as I'm a rail fan, I can see it being very successful over time. They really need to address the tedious road-based sections however (more busway???!!!).
uk-highspeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #289
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 15

Will the busway be extended to Huntingdon?

Guided bus 'a success' as more use it than expectedChris Havergal
The guided busway was hailed a success by transport chiefs as it was announced journey numbers for the first two months hit 430,000.

The figures prompted calls for further development of the scheme to be pushed forward, including segregated lanes through Cambridge, express services, and links to other communities.

A meeting of Cambridgeshire County Council heard about 209,000 journeys were made in the second month, and about 224,000 in the first.

The project’s business case expected 150,000 trips a month during the first year, building to 300,000 a month after three years.

Proposing a motion applauding the “very successful opening”, Conservative Cllr Fred Brown said: “We need to recognise the people of Cambridgeshire have embraced this wholeheartedly, it’s also one of our biggest tourist attractions.

“The fact is it is a success and it will go from strength to strength.”

But other members said it was too early to measure its success, adding that removal of traffic from the A14 and the outcome of the legal battle with contractor BAM Nuttall would have to be considered.

Liberal Democrat leader Cllr Kilian Bourke said: “Any meaningful assessment of the busway will have to be against its stated objectives and it’s far too early.”

Debating the motion, which was approved by members, Petersfield’s Cllr Nichola Harrison said further progress must be made.

She said: “Phase two is getting it into Huntingdon and getting it segregated through the city, this will make it not just gold but platinum standard.”

Cllr Victor Lucas, who represents Warboys, said pressure should be put on operators to run relief services in rush hours to relieve overcrowding and there were calls for other routes to fan out from both ends of the busway.

Cllr Lucas said it should go to Ramsey, Cllr Alan Melton said Chatteris should get a link, while Cllr Laine Kadic called for extra express routes from Huntingdon to St Ives, cutting out stops in between.

Cllr Ian Bates, the council’s planning chief, said these would be considered.

He said: “I’m certainly keen to have express routes and it’s something that as the bus takes off I hope to be able to persuade Stagecoach we can do it. We could extend it to Ramsey and dare I say it even Chatteris.
CAMBRIDGE NEWS
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #290
Goldie

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk-highspeed View Post
The publicity machine was spouting how popular it has been, especially over the first few weeks. I don't use it enough to give you a meaningful answer, but I've experienced buses not turning up, or running late, and overcrowding. I've not yet heard of a bus breaking down mid-busway, which would obviously cause the most chaos (as impossible to overtake).
Little things annoy me about the buses themselves - air conditioned, yet they still fitted opening windows which of course customers will open so destroys the air con.
In general, as much as I'm a rail fan, I can see it being very successful over time. They really need to address the tedious road-based sections however (more busway???!!!).
It'd be great to see some pictures if you find yourself nearby with your camera. It doesn't sound like it's doing so bad.
Goldie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #291
Mwmbwls

Forgive me if this question has been put and answered before but do the bus companies using this route pay the equivalent of track access charges to use the bus way?
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #292
WatcherZero

They operate as a concession, have exclusive use in return for contributing to the maintenence and guarenteeing minimum services/standards.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #293
Jon10

Likes (Received): 356

So the bus companies' payments are not contributing to the capital cost of building the thing?
Jon10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #294
WatcherZero

No central Government financed it along with some developer contributions for the newtown villages being built along the route.
Old October 30th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #295
Mwmbwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
No central Government financed it along with some developer contributions for the newtown villages being built along the route.
At the risk of digressing from the strict scope of this thread could I ask how is the Luton Dunstable link now under construction being financed and how will the proposed Leigh Busway be financed? I find it incongruous that train operating companies pay track access charges but bus companies don't for what is after all a track bed.
Old October 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #296
WatcherZero

Leigh is TfGM borrowing, no idea about Dunstable.
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #297
link_road_17/7

Location: Milton Keynes - Britain's Most Successful Business City
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Leigh is TfGM borrowing, no idea about Dunstable.
Luton-Dunstable is/was costed at circa £90m.

£22.1m of it was coming from DfT/RFA grant

£4m from Milton Keynes/South Midlands Growth Area Funding

£8.920m (ish) from Local Authorities covering 10%

£3.4m from local developer contributions (s106, various commercial/retail/housing)

It is a shame Chris Green didn't get his way back in 1989 and get the line reopened under Network SouthEast. The problem is not only traffic within the Luton-Dunstable-Houghton Regis urban area, but regional traffic towards St Albans, Greater London, Central London, etc., stuffing the M1 up, which has a knock-on effect on the local road network.
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #298
Mwmbwls

QUOTE Leigh is TfGM borrowing, no idea about Dunstable. UNQUOTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by link_road_17/7 View Post
Luton-Dunstable is/was costed at circa £90m.

£22.1m of it was coming from DfT/RFA grant

£4m from Milton Keynes/South Midlands Growth Area Funding

£8.920m (ish) from Local Authorities covering 10%

£3.4m from local developer contributions (s106, various commercial/retail/housing)

It is a shame Chris Green didn't get his way back in 1989 and get the line reopened under Network SouthEast. The problem is not only traffic within the Luton-Dunstable-Houghton Regis urban area, but regional traffic towards St Albans, Greater London, Central London, etc., stuffing the M1 up, which has a knock-on effect on the local road network.
Thanks for that - so we know where the money is coming from but as yet not how the investment is going to be recouped. Option one - the busway is just another piece of road so bus companies do not pay a specific charge for using it - unlike the TOC's or Option two - the busway is a reserved track for rubber tyred vehicles and like railways a track access charge is levied. Applying the former logic gets us back to that wonderfully ludicrous scheme scheme to pave over the Great Central and run buses into Marylebone. I suppose the next big thing will the ability to run trucks on busways.
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:35 PM   #299
WatcherZero

Its Option 3, the infrastructure stimulates local growth increasing council tax and business rate revenues in the area above that of the interest payments. Same thing thats done on a national scale.
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #300
Mwmbwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda goats View Post
Guided bus 'a success' as more use it than expectedChris Havergal
The guided busway was hailed a success by transport chiefs as it was announced journey numbers for the first two months hit 430,000.

The figures prompted calls for further development of the scheme to be pushed forward, including segregated lanes through Cambridge, express services, and links to other communities.

A meeting of Cambridgeshire County Council heard about 209,000 journeys were made in the second month, and about 224,000 in the first.

The project’s business case expected 150,000 trips a month during the first year, building to 300,000 a month after three years.

Proposing a motion applauding the “very successful opening”, Conservative Cllr Fred Brown said: “We need to recognise the people of Cambridgeshire have embraced this wholeheartedly, it’s also one of our biggest tourist attractions.

“The fact is it is a success and it will go from strength to strength.”

But other members said it was too early to measure its success, adding that removal of traffic from the A14 and the outcome of the legal battle with contractor BAM Nuttall would have to be considered.

Liberal Democrat leader Cllr Kilian Bourke said: “Any meaningful assessment of the busway will have to be against its stated objectives and it’s far too early.”

Debating the motion, which was approved by members, Petersfield’s Cllr Nichola Harrison said further progress must be made.

She said: “Phase two is getting it into Huntingdon and getting it segregated through the city, this will make it not just gold but platinum standard.”

Cllr Victor Lucas, who represents Warboys, said pressure should be put on operators to run relief services in rush hours to relieve overcrowding and there were calls for other routes to fan out from both ends of the busway.

Cllr Lucas said it should go to Ramsey, Cllr Alan Melton said Chatteris should get a link, while Cllr Laine Kadic called for extra express routes from Huntingdon to St Ives, cutting out stops in between.

Cllr Ian Bates, the council’s planning chief, said these would be considered.

He said: “I’m certainly keen to have express routes and it’s something that as the bus takes off I hope to be able to persuade Stagecoach we can do it. We could extend it to Ramsey and dare I say it even Chatteris.
CAMBRIDGE NEWS

And so iot came to pass - the Bus Company was converted to the guided-way of righteousness

http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/trav...extended-north

Cambridge guided bus to be extended north?

Stagecoach, which operates the guided busway from Cambridge to St Ives – linking to Huntingdon – is considering extending the rapid transit system further north.
With the Cambridge Cluster reaching choking point for prime property, more companies are relocating to the north of the county, bringing hundreds more workers living in Cambridge into the travel equation.
To meet demand for the exodus north, the bus company is considering a direct service to Huntingdon and an extension onto Peterborough, which has become a haven for companies in the south of the UK seeking a congestion-free zone.
Stagecoach Cambridgeshire managing director, Andy Campbell, said the company was seeing more passengers heading away from Cambridge.
He said: “The busway was always going to encourage customers to travel to Cambridge. However, we are pleasantly surprised by the number of customers travelling to St Ives.
“We have seen a 100 per cent increase in customers using the services and are considering a direct service from Huntingdon and an extension to Peterborough.
“We also believe that St Ives would benefit further if buses used Market Hill and a bus stop was provided in Station Road, so we could provide an increased level of service to St Ives.”
unquote

Perhaps it is my nasty cynical nature but I can't see Stagecoach actually investing in the extension to Peterborough. As a company they are past masters at filling their boots with every public subsidy that can be found. If they can secure rail like exclusive rights of way at the price to them of a new piece of road (i.e. bourne by the public purse) I suspect they will.