daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #1101
Pelt

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.v.lescano View Post

That angle reminds me so much of the interior of Lucas Oil, with obvious exception of the roof.

Pelt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #1102
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 1135

I'm jealous.

I thought these nrew renders were for just an open air stadium and I was thinking to myself "well, they sure did make the best out of the revised plans". Then I saw in the second to last photo that it still plans to be a retractable!! It looks so open and translucent compared to any retractable stadium that have come before if the renders depict correctly.
-young middle-class lad or lass who feels elated by thinking that he or she has covered all aspects of politics and religion with the help of a few lectures by a certified conspiracy crank or by watching a straight-to-YouTube ‘documentary’. - Nadeem F. Paracha

"Islamphobia" - a word created by fascist, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons". - C. Hitchens
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #1103
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 2

I'm not sure if I like it, but they sure do get points for going out on a limb and trying something inventive.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #1104
Franchise646

Likes (Received): 0

Wow that's beautiful.
Franchise646 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #1105
avguy

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/s...-farmers-field

Quote:
The stadium will now feature a "deployable" roof instead of a retractable or fixed roof that would be assembled on the ground and lifted into place for events such as conventions and the Final Four, and disassembled and stored underneath the stadium when it is not in use. The process of assembling and disassembling the roof would take "a matter of hours," said Tim Romani, president of ICON Venue Group, the project management firm AEG hired for Farmers Field.

Thats a really horrible idea... Imagine if they lose or damaged one piece of a system like that?
avguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #1106
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 503

I love that they are being bold and inventive with the stadium design, it just fits LA. Disney Hall was done along the same lines. It will be the most unique football stadium in the country, and looks like it will compare favorably to the outstanding designs we are seeing in Germany, the Middle East, and Asia. It's nice to finally see an American stadium thinking outside the box with their design and technology.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #1107
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3964

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
It looks so open and translucent compared to any retractable stadium that have come before if the renders depict correctly.
Maybe they'll use the same material (SEFAR Architecture TENARA Fabric) that was used for the Wimbledon Center Court roof?
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #1108
pesto

Likes (Received): 328

Better than the first but still a ways to go. I notice that someone has already called it "Flying Nun Stadium".
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #1109
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 207

That "deployable" roof is an original idea. What if it doesn't work out very well? Because it's attached to the LA convention center, what if the new football stadium has its roof remain closed when not in use by the NFL team? (but if the turf remained in the stadium when the roof is closed, it would obviously be damaged.)

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1110
JimB

Likes (Received): 938

Stunning renders. Hope it gets built.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #1111
jimkuback

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4589862.story

Quote:
Critic's Notebook: Farmers Field design improves but falls short
The new version of AEG's proposed NFL stadium by Gensler is more open to the L.A. cityscape than the previous design but is weighed down by wings.

The proposed design for Farmers Field. (AEG / November 15, 2011)

By Christopher Hawthorne, Los Angeles Times Architecture Critic
November 16, 2011

Farmers Field has somehow gotten lighter on its feet and more bloated at the same time.

A new version of AEG's proposed NFL football stadium and event center in downtown Los Angeles was unveiled Tuesday afternoon. The latest design by Ronald Turner of the firm Gensler represents a marked attempt to give the complex more transparency and openness than was contained in a largely conceptual version released late last year.

Instead of an expensive retractable roof, the 72,000-seat stadium will be topped by what AEG calls a "deployable" roof, a collection of light fabric panels that can be stored outside the stadium. That change means it will take longer to close the roof — perhaps hours instead of minutes. But it has the architectural advantage of requiring smaller trusses and therefore a less massive structure above fans' heads. AEG and the firm it hired to oversee the stadium project, Icon Venue Group, estimate the roof will be closed at most about 15 times per year, mostly for large-scale convention activities and rare events like a basketball Final Four. It would remain open for nearly every NFL game.

Turner and his Gensler colleagues also have made an effort to open up the stadium, and in particular the concourses running along its outer edges, to the L.A. Live complex surrounding it and to the rest of downtown. They pair glass with expanses of ETFE and PTFE — two kinds of translucent polymer — on the exterior of the building to give large sections a see-through lightness. The north end of the stadium in particular has been pared down substantially. Many fans will be able to look north from their seats and see the downtown skyline. These elements represent real progress.

At the same time, the architects have made the puzzling decision to extend the roofline to the east and west in dramatic and largely superfluous fashion. This gesture gives the stadium a winged profile that not only leans heavily and inelegantly on late-modern architectural precedents but also makes the new design decidedly top-heavy.

The result is an odd and unsuccessful amalgam: overscaled, grandiose wings above, light and transparent touches below. Imagine Eero Saarinen's TWA terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport in a strained marriage with the relaxed openness of Dodger Stadium.

True, the new wings (which look a bit like shoulder pads) will provide shade for a pair of outdoor plazas. And they are likely a direct response to AEG's desire for the stadium to have an iconic and immediately recognizable architectural personality, especially as seen in overhead shots coming in and out of commercial breaks on television. But more than anything they overwhelm the pared-back spaces down below.

The stadium plan released Tuesday represents an early stage of schematic design. That means there's still plenty of time not just to tweak but substantially rethink the architecture. And, of course, there's the small issue that no NFL team has yet committed to moving to L.A., and that a competing stadium proposal in City of Industry remains alive. AEG didn't release any images Tuesday showing what the stadium will look like on its southern edge, where it may be partially embedded in the convention center, or as seen from the freeway.

The only way to rescue this design is for the architects to display the courage of their convictions (or to convince AEG to let them do so), ditching the wings and trimming back the structure to a far more dramatic degree. This is a moment when light, efficient, minimal gestures make a great deal of sense in stadium design. They match our economic realities and the larger cultural mood. More than a few young architects are looking back for inspiration at Frei Otto's light, tensile designs for the 1972 Munich Olympics, a project whose combination of innovation and modesty seems increasingly timely in our era of the Occupy movement's tent cities and other examples of makeshift, micro-budget architecture.

In terms of its urbanism, AEG's downtown stadium proposal has always had an oddly innovative streak. Who would have thought that the first truly urban NFL stadium, the first to outwardly reject the primacy of car culture and acres of space for pregame tailgating, would be proposed in Southern California?

Architecturally, on the other hand, it has always seemed likely that AEG would seek out something drably conventional, a stadium intent on matching the glossy overkill of the rest of L.A. Live. The after-dark renderings AEG released Tuesday showing the stadium as a canvas for showy light effects are a particularly depressing reflection of AEG's design priorities and its interest in using the project to extend the permabright placelessness of its corner of downtown.

The new design does show some potential in plans for generously scaled walkways leading from the stadium to the convention center, Staples and other parts of South Park and downtown. Gensler has been collaborating with architects Populous, landscape firm Melendrez and urban designers from Gehl Architects on those efforts. But they remain in the preliminary stage. And they seem largely an afterthought in the new renderings.
jimkuback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1112
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.v.lescano View Post
Now THAT's a spaceship. Jerry's World better move over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
How the hell are they going to pull this off?
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #1113
Topher51

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Now THAT's a spaceship. Jerry's World better move over.

How the hell are they going to pull this off?
I assure you that I have not recently moved to Europe and blanketly adopted their view on roofs, but I think that looks fantastic!

As for how they are going to pull it off, whatever skin they use up there will be relatively light and it appears that most of the roof framing will be tubes. Those are more expensive than W shapes, but a good bit stronger, especially laterally. What I haven't heard said, but is likely a driving factor in this is that a light roof framed like this will perform far better in an earthquake than the framing you see at the other retractable roof stadiums. The higher and heavier something is during an earthquake, the more force it exerts on the structure below, which results in +$$$$$$$$$. Yes, this roof looks good and will allow for a more open feel, but I image this decission made the structural engineers very happy!
Topher51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #1114
pesto

Likes (Received): 328

Hawthorne: excellent analysis; he is finally developing an appreciation for why LA is different than Europe or NY or the midwest. He seems to have exactly nailed every issue: the glossy overkill of LA Live; the permabright placelessness; overscaled and grandiose; the disconnectedness from LA and its style.

For sure, the reduction in mass is great progress. In spite of the oohs and aahs from some on this site, it was a humpy little box crammed into a space much too small for it. The wings would be very cool in a location that allowed room for them, but not where they are trying to put this stadium. The idea here really is to go minimal and humane.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1115
CaliforniaJones

LA Farmers Field will a World Class stadium. It would be nice for Super Bowl, World cup final and other special events.
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #1116
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 7

Personally, I don't think the "wings" are possible. They'll most likely keep the transparent "outer shell" from the updated renderings, though.

The "wings" would be architecturally feasible only if the stadium wasn't so squeezed in among the Staples Center, the convention center, a parking garage, and a major freeway.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1117
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 139

it looks cool
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #1118
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 59

Thinking its way too close to Staples Center.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1119
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Personally, I don't think the "wings" are possible. They'll most likely keep the transparent "outer shell" from the updated renderings, though.

The "wings" would be architecturally feasible only if the stadium wasn't so squeezed in among the Staples Center, the convention center, a parking garage, and a major freeway.
Do you honestly think that they havent considered this? what, do you think they just pulled this design out of their asses?
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #1120
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Thinking its way too close to Staples Center.
Can't see a touchdown getting in the way of a lakers game
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles, nfl