daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old October 7th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #621
LuvHighrisers

Likes (Received): 11

I'm surprised no one has commented on the large crane that has gone up there...
LuvHighrisers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 7th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #622
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighrisers View Post
I'm surprised no one has commented on the large crane that has gone up there...
Haven't been down there in a month but good news indeed.
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #623
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 55

HUD delivers blow to Bank of America Encore development

Date: Friday, October 7, 2011, 6:00am EDT..

Related:
Residential Real Estate, Construction.

Enlarge Image

ALEXIS MUELLNER

A view looking north from atop the SunTrust Financial Centre shows the work site of the Encore project.
. .

Mark HolanStaff Writer - Tampa Bay Business JournalEmail
TAMPA — Business and political leaders are working to move forward with the downtown Encore development after being snubbed by federal housing officials for a $23.3 million grant.

The decision puts at risk thousands of construction jobs and more than $160 million in local economic development impact, Encore supporters say.

Tampa was the only one of six finalist cities that didn’t get a slice of the $122 million Choice Neighborhood Initiative grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development .. .

“This is a grant we really counted on, and we are sorely disappointed we didn’t get it,” said LeRoy Moore, the Tampa Housing Authority ..’s chief operating officer. “We are angry to say the least.”

The project is being developed as a joint effort between THA and Bank of America Community Development Corp. under the leadership of Roxanne M. Amoroso, senior vice president.

Amoroso declined to comment about HUD’s decision, referring the Tampa Bay Business Journal to a corporate representative. BofA said it couldn’t comment before the newspaper’s deadline.

The estimated $480 million project already has received nearly $40 million in federal funds.

HUD announced Aug. 31 that Chicago, New Orleans and San Francisco each would receive $30.5 million. Boston is getting $20.5 million and Seattle the remaining $10.27 million.

Dollars pegged for ‘Reed’ building

In Tampa, the grant money would have gone toward construction of a 156-unit senior housing development at Encore called the Reed. The building is expected to cost about $25 million.

THA was ready to award contracts by the end of the year, while the other five cities are still in early planning stages and haven’t moved a shovel of dirt, Moore said.

THA received a debriefing about HUD’s decision on Sept. 13.

“The comments we received from the HUD staff justifying how and why we lost points in this competition was in our opinion absurd,” THA President and Chief Executive Jerome Ryans wrote in a Sept. 23 letter to U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson and U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor.

The federal agency discounted more than $11.5 million in bond leverage through the Hillsborough County Housing Finance Authority because the agreement between the parties uses the word “if” in referring to the issue of bonds, Ryans wrote.

HUD spokeswoman Donna White said she couldn’t comment about the scoring.

“We didn’t have enough funding to award all the finalists,” White said. “There was barely enough for Seattle.”

Money was envisioned

Encore supporters touted the Choice Neighborhood grant earlier this year at the groundbreaking for the 160-unit Ella, the first building in the 40-acre development site nestled between Ybor City, the Channel District, Tampa Heights and downtown.

Moore met Oct. 5 with representatives from Nelson’s and Castor’s offices. “We want them [the elected officials] to talk to the HUD secretary and the president,” he said.

Local officials were heartened this summer when HUD doubled the Choice Neighborhood grant program from $60 million by including federal appropriations for fiscal 2010 and 2011. Now they are pushing for first dibs on 2012 money.

Ryans’ letter states “Tampa’s Encore project is poised to be seen as the most successful stimulus-funded project in the nation and in August 2012 will be the center of nation-wide attention as we cut the ribbon” on the Ella building.

The Republican Party, which has criticized the Democratic president’s stimulus plan, holds its national convention in Tampa the same month.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #624
TPAMAN

Broker says loss of federal grant not fatal to Encore

Date: Friday, October 7, 2011, 9:55am EDT - Last Modified: Friday, October 7, 2011, 10:26am EDT.

View photo gallery (2 photos)

Alexis Muellner

A look down at the Encore construction site in downtown Tampa.
. .
Mark HolanStaff Writer - Tampa Bay Business JournalEmail
The loss of a $23.3 federal housing grant is a speed bump for Encore, but won’t slam the brakes on the downtown Tampa development, veteran commercial real estate broker Brenda Dohring Hicks said.

The chief executive of the Dohring Group .. is playing a key role in the project partnership between the Tampa Housing Authority and Bank of America Community Development Corp.

“The grant would have kept us moving at the same pace,” Dohring Hicks said, “but this is not going to stall us so badly that we will lose momentum.”

As first reported in the Oct. 7 print edition of the Tampa Bay Business Journal, Tampa was the only one of six cities denied a share of the $122 million Choice Neighborhood Initiative grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development .. .

“I was not happy with HUD’s decision,” Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn said this week. “I think we deserved it and I think we were slighted. We were truly shovel-ready.”

Tampa Housing Authority officials have complained about the decision in a letter to U.S. Senator Bill Nelson and U.S. Representative Kathy Castor.

“We fight for every grant,” Castor said. “This was one round we lost, but the community has done very well in obtaining (federal) money.”

The estimated $480 million Encore development has received about $40 million in federal funds.

Earlier this week Castor announced the city received a $759,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services .. to help revitalize East Tampa.

Dohring Hicks said not getting HUD’s Choice Neighborhood grant would delay construction of a 156-unit senior housing development at Encore by two or three months. She said it would not negatively impact commercial interest in the project, since private developers are looking at horizons of a year or more.

“It’s a blip,” she said. “It’s not a nice blip.”

A supermarket, widely believed to be Publix, is under contract at Encore.

Without confirming the identity, Dohring Hicks said she is confident a deal would be announced before the end of the year.

She said hotel and retail interests are also considering the 40-acre mixed-use project.

The grant Castor and Buckhorn announced for East Tampa is also supposed to lure a grocery store to 22nd Street and Mallory Avenue, about two miles east of Encore. Castor said that effort would not preclude bringing a grocery to the downtown development.
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #625
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 470

I told you guys a grocery store would go in Encore, if nobody else around downtown got off their asses.
Jasonhouse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #626
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

So let me get this right. A Publix might be under contract for Encore, a project that doesn't even have one resident living in it, and yet Channelside can't get a grocer because it doesn't have enough residents? Call me nuts I guess....
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #627
jamesk

Likes (Received): 3

This is bullsh*t.
jamesk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #628
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesk View Post
This is bullsh*t.
Agreed. And it's going to take how long to fill up all the units, build the second building, fill that up, and have enough residents to match the numbers of Channelside? And yet, Encore seems to have one already in the bad while we hear rumors that Grand Central is in talks..... for about 2 years now.

I don't know who is in charge of the CRA for Channelside, but I would be pretty ticked as a resident of Channelside hearing the rumblings of a grocer opening up in Channelside as long as it has been. And now, it is likely that one won't open in Channelside for even longer in Grand Central can't get pen to paper fast enough and open one before August 2012.
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #629
Jasonhouse

This thread needs to be updated. Ella is under full-blown construction now. Numerous piles have sprouted up.

Will get pics as soon as I'm DT again, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #630
Jasonhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
So let me get this right. A Publix might be under contract for Encore, a project that doesn't even have one resident living in it, and yet Channelside can't get a grocer because it doesn't have enough residents? Call me nuts I guess....
I kinda thought that the Grand Central location, or the site due east of the Seaport apartments would have had a grocery store built around now (2010-2011), since it could serve Channelside, Ybor, northern DT and even Hyde Park so conveniently. (and have streetcar access, and it's on a truck route) My guess is if the economy didn't tank so bad, it would have been built.

After the latest boom, there are now around 10,000 households within a mile or so radius of downtown (including UT dorms). The only full blown grocery stores are the Publix on Platt and the Wal-Mart on Kennedy. Some people wind up going to the Sweet Bay up Nebraska at MLK, or over to the Publix, Whole Foods or Target on Dale Mabry. There is plenty of pent up demand, and I doubt that a grocery store being built at Encore will kill a grocery store in Channelside, it will just delay it. I figure the DT area will eventually wind up with a Publix/Sweet Bay type store, and a Whole Foods/Fresh Market type store. I also wouldn't be surprised to see an ALDI/GFS type place wind up on SR60 somehwere near IKEA. Or maybe even a smaller footprint Sam's or Costco. I know such things had been considered before the market took a dump, and projected residential development in the area stalled.
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #631
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Here's some pics up from the Encore's Facebook page. All from this past Wednesday.

image hosted on flickr

Encore by TampaMike2, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ella3 by TampaMike2, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ella2 by TampaMike2, on Flickr

Final Product
image hosted on flickr

Ella by TampaMike2, on Flickr
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #632
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 41

Here are some photos from last week. Looking good. For larger versions, check out the album.

jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #633
Jasonhouse

I hope the project doesn't wind up being populated with nothing but squatty, value engineered lowrises.

And can someone point out where the actual "Central Park" the neighborhood is named after is located?
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #634
TPAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
I hope the project doesn't wind up being populated with nothing but squatty, value engineered lowrises.

And can someone point out where the actual "Central Park" the neighborhood is named after is located?
It's the roundabout in the pics!
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #635
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post

If I'm not mistaken, it's the proposed park on the west side of the overall project. Going to have a small amphitheater and then have the skate park on the northern end. Not really.... central but it adds some needed greenspace.
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #636
Jasonhouse

They should rename the place "Central Median".
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM   #637
tampaizzy

Likes (Received): 13

Here is an article about redoing the Saunders Public Library, there is a rendering of the proposed new one although i don't think its finalized. Nothing special but can't be worse than whats there.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/south-tampa...ity-ar-446921/
tampaizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #638
TPAMAN

THA among finalists for grant
The Tampa Housing Authority is one of nine finalists for a federal housing grant of up to $30 million.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development says it will spread $110 million in Choice Neighborhood Implementation grants among four or five winners.
The University Area Community Development Corp. in Tampa, one of 42 grant applicants, did not make the list.
THA would use the grant toward construction of a fourth multifamily building at the Encore mixed-use development between downtown Tampa, the Channel District and Ybor City. One building is nearly completed at the site. Two more have funding and are expected to start construction by the end of the year.
HUD says it will announce the grant awards at the end of the year, but the tight presidential election could speed up the timeline.
“My guess is that it will be announced before November, before the election,” said LeRoy Moore, THA’s chief operating officer.
The other eight finalists cities are Chicago; Boston; Jersey City, N.J.; Milwaukee, Wis.; Philadelphia; San Antonio; Seattle; and Washington, D.C.
Last year, Tampa was the only one of six finalists that did not get a share of a similar grant. Chicago, Boston, Seattle, New Orleans and San Francisco divvied up $122 million.
—Mark Holan
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #639
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Since we're talking about redeveloping West Tampa, any updates on the other redevelopment project? I heard somewhere that the second project was suppose to start sometime in January, any truth to that?
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #640
tampaizzy

Likes (Received): 13

According to their website timeline they should have broken ground on two other buildings already, the trio and the reed?
tampaizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tampa-projects