daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Construction Projects

Construction Projects Updating construction projects be it proposed, u/c or completed

Old May 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Hambantota | Suriyawewa Cricket Stadium | U/C

The stadium, located about 8 kilometers from the commercial city of Hambantota in Meegahajandura off Sooriyawewa is designed to hold day/night matches. It will be one of the venues slated to hold matches of the upcoming Cricket World Cup 2011 tournament.

The project at an estimated cost of 700 million rupees is a creation of the Tharunyata Hetak youth movement headed by President's son Namal Rajapaksa. It is totally funded by Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC). The Construction of the first phase began on May 17,2009.

The International Cricket Council recently visited the venues in Sri Lanka that are slated to hold the matches of the World Cup 2011 tournament and expressed their satisfaction on the progress. Sri Lanka, along with India and Bangladesh will be hosting the international event.

The Sri Lanka Army personnel will be working on the first phase of the project which includes laying of the turf pitches and grass. The China Harbour Engineering Company is expected to take over from the Army after the first phase is completed to add the spectator stands.

The project is set to be completed by October 2010 in preparation for the World Cup in June 2011.

Please follow up the construction updates here.

Last edited by Fusionist; May 18th, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #2
tig

Likes (Received): 3

BRO THERE IS ALREADY A DISCUSSION THREAD IN > INFRASTRUCTURE> SPORTS INFRASTRUCTURE, about Suriyawewa Stadium, including the earlier plan, final plan and the model of the stadium and the update. It also has infos about Pallekelle stadium and Khettarama Stadium which was demolished recently. so can u plz remove this thread, u just started and i understand that but sports infrastructure thread is going on f for a long time and it has lots of info bro : )
tig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Amal

Likes (Received): 256

Actually, I think the pertinent posts in the other thread should be appended here... It is a construction project afterall.
Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Fusionist
unBANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
BRO THERE IS ALREADY A DISCUSSION THREAD IN > INFRASTRUCTURE> SPORTS INFRASTRUCTURE, about Suriyawewa Stadium, including the earlier plan, final plan and the model of the stadium and the update. It also has infos about Pallekelle stadium and Khettarama Stadium which was demolished recently. so can u plz remove this thread, u just started and i understand that but sports infrastructure thread is going on f for a long time and it has lots of info bro : )
I am aare of the sports infrastructure thread. But I think its better to update things here, for all major construction projects as it is easier to navigate and keep this section of the forum active. Also it would be a better way of showcasing the major projects to foreign forumers who wouldbe niterested in seeing developments in Sri Lanka. So lets update the projects here

Also I think it would be a beter idea to start a new thread for Khettarama stadium.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
dramirez

Likes (Received): 17

I quite like this new layout. Brings back some of the focus of construction projects.
dramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #6
tig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist View Post
I am aare of the sports infrastructure thread. But I think its better to update things here, for all major construction projects as it is easier to navigate and keep this section of the forum active. Also it would be a better way of showcasing the major projects to foreign forumers who wouldbe niterested in seeing developments in Sri Lanka. So lets update the projects here

Also I think it would be a beter idea to start a new thread for Khettarama stadium.
ok if u want some pics and model of the stadium its in Sports Infrastructure thread u can paste pics and info from there and past it here
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Fusionist
unBANNED

cross posted from the sports infrastructure thread..

You can see the construction work going behind

Old May 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #8
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 159

I have seen lotz of displeasure over the Hambantota Stadium, now one thing I would like to remind, SLC only spend $10.00 million, compared to 1st world about $75-100 million, due to labor cost, stage 1 totally free coz it was completed by Army and land was totally free. Construction also undertaken by Chinese firm part of port and airport project. So guys we are not gonna be able to have another MCG built in Hambantota, but we will have something can be proud of!!!
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #9
tig

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraprobe View Post
I have seen lotz of displeasure over the Hambantota Stadium, now one thing I would like to remind, SLC only spend $10.00 million, compared to 1st world about $75-100 million, due to labor cost, stage 1 totally free coz it was completed by Army and land was totally free. Construction also undertaken by Chinese firm part of port and airport project. So guys we are not gonna be able to have another MCG built in Hambantota, but we will have something can be proud of!!!
LOl, thats not wat ticked me off dude, its what they said earlier, they said it will be one of the best stadiums in Subcontinents. They showed a plane which looked awesome, and then they changed the plane, and took off half the stadium away from the plan.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Amal

Likes (Received): 256

Sri Lanka to hire cruise liner for World Cup fans

(AFP) – 45 minutes ago

COLOMBO — Sri Lanka plans to hire a cruise liner to accommodate cricket World Cup fans and spectators at the newly built stadium in the island's south, an official said on Tuesday.

The six-million dollar stadium in Hambantota, President Mahinda Rajapakse's hometown, lacks hotels to accommodate thousands of fans expected to watch the games in February-April next year.

"Star-classed hotel facilities are enough for only two teams and the cruise ship can accommodate up to 1,000 people," Sri Lankan World Cup official Suraj Dandeniya told AFP.

International Cricket Council rules require each venue to have five-star facilities to house between 500 and 1,000 players, officials, media and fans.

"The ship will be used mainly for spectators, officials and the media contigent that will be following the two games allotted to the venue," said Dandeniya.

Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh are co-hosting the 14-nation showpiece held every four years. Pakistan, the fourth Test-playing nation in South Asia, were removed as co-hosts due to security concerns in the volatile country.

Known as the Suriyawewa Stadium, the Hambantota venue will host its maiden international game when Sri Lanka play Canada in the World Cup on February 20.

The other match at the venue is between Pakistan and Kenya on February 23.

The 43-day tournament will be played across 13 venues in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and ends with the final on April 2 at Mumbai's Wankhede stadium.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...T9LeYvkeILIdhw
Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Shakeel

Likes (Received): 31

Latest Pix

If the stadium is ready for the ICC World Cup, could someone update the pictures of the completed stadium. Its no point we have this thread without the final outcome. Guys be more positive and be up-to-date.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #12
tig

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...460622&page=14

Here are the pics

try to follow things on Sport infrastructure plz : D
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Shakeel

Likes (Received): 31

Hmmm

Quote:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...460622&page=14

Here are the pics

try to follow things on Sport infrastructure plz : D
Thanks mate.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #14
tallbuilder

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
LOl, thats not wat ticked me off dude, its what they said earlier, they said it will be one of the best stadiums in Subcontinents. They showed a plane which looked awesome, and then they changed the plane, and took off half the stadium away from the plan.
The original plan you have seen was done by an Indian firm-CPG Architects, the Inidan branch of the Singaporean firm by the same name. That was truley awesome. Somewhere along the line due to budget constraints ( ill planned as usual by SL) the local consultants to the project-Surath Wickremasinghe Associates changed the design and screwed it up, just the way they did with the Dambulla Stadium.
tallbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #15
tig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallbuilder View Post
The original plan you have seen was done by an Indian firm-CPG Architects, the Inidan branch of the Singaporean firm by the same name. That was truley awesome. Somewhere along the line due to budget constraints ( ill planned as usual by SL) the local consultants to the project-Surath Wickremasinghe Associates changed the design and screwed it up, just the way they did with the Dambulla Stadium.
After the WC, they were suppose to build two stands left, and right to the grand stand. SLC is already under Rs 4 Billion debt. And they still havent paid any ouf our player since WC. There is no now way that they will build the additional stands.