daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > République Démocratique du Congo > Economic and Business

Economic and Business Discussion for the Republic of the Congo

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Pius
The Urban Man

Likes (Received): 573

DRC - Road Transport Industry News

Now that roads are being constructed or rehabilitated, it would be interesting to look into the development of the transport industry in the DRC.
Pius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Pius
The Urban Man

The math is simple: Road construction/rehabilitation + private initiative in competitive transportation of goods and people = economic prosperity.
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #3
preme3000

Likes (Received): 576

Great video on maman Bonheur's business venture. Along with a few others, she has a head start on that RN1 round trip. With more investments in infrastructure, we will see more business people putting their savings into DRC.

Also, glad to see such small ventures being handled locally as well, will give others confidence. (although all investments dollars should be welcomed)
preme3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Epaphras

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by preme3000 View Post
Great video on maman Bonheur's business venture. Along with a few others, she has a head start on that RN1 round trip. With more investments in infrastructure, we will see more business people putting their savings into DRC.

Also, glad to see such small ventures being handled locally as well, will give others confidence. (although all investments dollars should be welcomed)

This is the kind of investment to be promoted across the country. Hope the best for mama Bonheur and that she'll not be bankrupted soon as many Congolese were in the past (STK, Auto Service Zaire....).
Epaphras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #5
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 2603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphras View Post
This is the kind of investment to be promoted across the country. Hope the best for mama Bonheur and that she'll not be bankrupted soon as many Congolese were in the past (STK, Auto Service Zaire....).
In Zaire times, things were very rough with that stupid anti business regime.

Last edited by BUTEMBO21; May 28th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
BUTEMBO21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM   #6
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

1,500 KM per year of a (700 of 2x2 and 800 of 1x1) can be done with a decent leadership.

Exapmle: From L’shi-Muanda

Unite 1. L’shi-Likasi-Kolwezi-Kamina.; Unit 2. Kamina-MM-Kananga-Tshikapa. ; Unit 3. Tshikapa-Kikwit-Kin. ; Unit 4. Kin-Matadi-Muanda.

1 division into 4 Units working at the same time. 7 days a week work. Lot one compacts the road, as Lot 2 Paves the right after. That will speed up the work. Just make sure there is enough Gaz for tractors and Material ready.

That’s the magic Chinese do. They employ lots of people and and have everything in ready in place.

It only takes a decent leaderhip.

As for the Cement and Steel. We have Cement factories that we need to put back in business first.

We need to get:

South-Kivu’s Cement factory by expanding it to 500,000 MT per year.
Katanga’s 3 factories expand them to each produce 500,000 MT per year.

Build the Kisangani Factory to 500,000 MT per year.
Build 1 factory in Kasai West and 1 in Kasai East each 500,000 MT per year.

STEEL.

Bring and expand Maluku Steel Mill.

Build one more in Lubumbashi or Kolwezi, One more in Kongo-Central .
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #7
litho

Likes (Received): 30

Congolese stand up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
1,500 KM per year of a (700 of 2x2 and 800 of 1x1) can be done with a decent leadership.

Exapmle: From L’shi-Muanda

Unite 1. L’shi-Likasi-Kolwezi-Kamina.; Unit 2. Kamina-MM-Kananga-Tshikapa. ; Unit 3. Tshikapa-Kikwit-Kin. ; Unit 4. Kin-Matadi-Muanda.

1 division into 4 Units working at the same time. 7 days a week work. Lot one compacts the road, as Lot 2 Paves the right after. That will speed up the work. Just make sure there is enough Gaz for tractors and Material ready.

That’s the magic Chinese do. They employ lots of people and and have everything in ready in place.

It only takes a decent leaderhip.

As for the Cement and Steel. We have Cement factories that we need to put back in business first.

We need to get:

South-Kivu’s Cement factory by expanding it to 500,000 MT per year.
Katanga’s 3 factories expand them to each produce 500,000 MT per year.

Build the Kisangani Factory to 500,000 MT per year.
Build 1 factory in Kasai West and 1 in Kasai East each 500,000 MT per year.

STEEL.

Bring and expand Maluku Steel Mill.

Build one more in Lubumbashi or Kolwezi, One more in Kongo-Central .
Butembo are you stealing my mind, Stop coming to my mind.

That what I always thinking about my beloved Congo. It takes a strong leader to lead people in Congo; we don’t have one in this regime.

People stand together for our country. The Tshisekediste, Kameriste, Kimbutiste, Katumbiste or Kabiliste (not Kanambiste.) Congo is not in our hand (Congolese hand) is in foreign hand we all know even some of us don’t want to admit but they know it stand together say no.
litho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM   #8
preme3000

How do we raise the necessary finances? The IMF and World bank seem to think the country's economy is theirs and will block any mineral for infrastructure credit like they have with the Sino-Congo effort. Mineral for infrastructure/credit is the only way i can think of raising the required finances.

The EU are reluctant to even lend to their own neighbours and are financially in bad shape. The Koreans and the DRC government made noise about a mineral for infrastructure deal worth USD1B, including building the deep sea port in 2010 and 2009, as always nothing happened. Either Congolese are blocking our own development or someone else is, either case it is not normal. The US' historical actions towards DRC indicates to me that for some reason they have always seen DRC a potential foe than a potential junior partner.

So the question remains, how do you raise finances? Do you create some national companies and list them on the stock markets? For example, create Congo Cobalt Inc, Congo Tin Inc, Congo Timber Inc? have a few very large companies to hire in mass and develop that way?

If we are still going to use the USD60B figure, then that means USD6B a year needs to be spent just on roadworks. Make the process over 20 years, we have to spend USD3B a year - some serious numbers for a broke country.

Another feature with building roads in DRC is the rainy season, meaning that maybe 2-4 months of the year nothing can be built. The way round this maybe to just alternate the construction program around different parts of the country.

Steel? I was wondering if there were any active steel factories since I don't have personally knowledge of any.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:54 PM   #9
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
How do we raise the necessary finances? The IMF and World bank seem to think the country's economy is theirs and will block any mineral for infrastructure credit like they have with the Sino-Congo effort. Mineral for infrastructure/credit is the only way i can think of raising the required finances.
I know, but we can get way around them. Be kind of their allies, but show them that the world market is now bigger than them .

The problem is that our own Government is weaker than a baby, blind and careless with no vision .

Quote:
The EU are reluctant to even lend to their own neighbours and are financially in bad shape. The Koreans and the DRC government made noise about a mineral for infrastructure deal worth USD1B, including building the deep sea port in 2010 and 2009, as always nothing happened.
Don’t try to depend on EU, or US, nor China. But nowadays, China, Korea, and still Japan are the mineral hungry nations. Mix them, so you don’t depend on one single market. Any deals involves 50/50 joint project and Tech transfer.
Quote:
Either Congolese are blocking our own development or someone else is, either case it is not normal.
Congolese are the ones blocking our way. This regime damn Government
Quote:
The US' historical actions towards DRC indicates to me that for some reason they have always seen DRC a potential foe than a potential junior partner.
Yes, your not alone in that thought. But we have t play them. Don’t try to talk against them. I preffer the South-African approach, which shows that they’re Western Allies, but also Chinese Allies.

That’s actually a Chinese Philosophy they played during the cold war against Soviets and US. LOL.
Quote:
So the question remains, how do you raise finances? Do you create some national companies and list them on the stock markets? For example, create Congo Cobalt Inc, Congo Tin Inc, Congo Timber Inc? have a few very large companies to hire in mass and develop that way?
Wee need to sell our own minerals by creating our own companies for each mineral and listing them on our Stock Market. That’s Ethiopia is doing. They have a Commodity Exchange Stock Market.

Quote:
If we are still going to use the USD60B figure, then that means USD6B a year needs to be spent just on roadworks. Make the process over 20 years, we have to spend USD3B a year - some serious numbers for a broke country.
Your correct regarding that issue.

But I think that we can do it without foreign involvement at all. If we have the cement and Steel factories built.

Quote:
Another feature with building roads in DRC is the rainy season, meaning that maybe 2-4 months of the year nothing can be built. The way round this maybe to just alternate the construction program around different parts of the country.
Indeed. Well thought . I overlooked out complex Climate. Brazil , Indonesia, Maleysia are nations that we can learn from since they have same climate as us.

Quote:
Steel? I was wondering if there were any active steel factories since I don't have personally knowledge of any.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1430334

We have some pathetic scrap metal smelters. Only The Maluku Plant is kind of big. But the Joka regime too dumb to bring it back in business.
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #10
preme3000

Have you been following the Algerian east-west highway construction? It will cost them $11.2Billion for 1,216km of 2x2 and 3x3, being built with Japanese and Chinese help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtopianSkyscraper View Post

Due for completion in 2010, Algeria’s $11.2 billion East-West Highway development is the world’s largest current highway construction project.

The development, financed by the Algerian Government, will extend 1,216km and ensure the link between Annaba in the north-east and Tlemcen in the north-west – passing directly through 24 provinces and linking Algeria to Tunisia and Morocco. The highway is a landmark infrastructure investment for Algeria that will meet transport needs, improve road safety and help create a profitable new socio-economic region capable of attracting investments.

The largest project is the $5bn Eastern section of the Highway, which will be a 399km, six-lane motorway that includes 190 bridges and viaducts and five tunnels. This section is being delivered by COJAAL, a joint venture comprising five of Japan’s largest companies: Kajima and Taisei, Japan’s two largest contractors; general contractors Hazama and Nishimatsu; and trading house Itochu.

Old November 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #11
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Yes i have been following it. and speaking of the cost of the megga project, i love that Algeria project and very well spent.

I think , we only need to have Kin-Matadi-Muanda as 2x3. (or a 6 lanes).

Kin-Kikwit-Tshikapa-Kananga-MM-Kindu-Bukavu as a 2x2 ( or 4 Lanes).

Mbuji-Mayi-Kamaina-Likasi-Lubumbashi as a 2x2 (or 4 Lanes).

Kalemie-Bukavu-Goma-Butembo as 2x2 (or 4 lanes).

The rest as a 1x1. since RailRoad must be incorporated. A 10 years program. I think this will do.

Rail should also be 10 years Plan. This should even be much easier.

I will make the little map.
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #12
preme3000

Another challenge for building in Congo is the transportation of heavy construction material around the country, it adds to the costs and will cause delays.

As much as I would like to see a decent road network built, I would prioritise the rehabilitation and the construction of the missing connecting lines to the railways network. This would in turn reduce the material transportation costs but at the same time speed up the process.

Still using the The $60Billion as the baseline, maybe a 40 year plan is more feasible. If my maths is accurate then this works out at $750million spent on highway projects a year, at a speed of 375km of high quality road a year, I think this is more mature and sensible. The first half of the construction project (20 years) will be constructed under foreign guidance and management but with complete knowledge transfer and maintenance training. The indigenous will have been trained up and ready to handle the rest of the project and more.

Private companies and partners should be encouraged to the feeder roads with the ability to insert toll charges. Creative thinking to share the costs.

Funny thing with us africans is that people might just find a way around toll charges. In Nigeria, there is an expressway with a toll road but everyone refused to pay the charges so the toll booths are in place but cars just drive through. I am sure they will start moaning when that same road starts to decay due to lack of maintenance, most people that can afford to keep a car running will have enough money to pay the fee.
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #13
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Another challenge for building in Congo is the transportation of heavy construction material around the country, it adds to the costs and will cause delays.
Moving heavy Construction Materials around the country does no worry me. it can be sped up if the agency in charge is competant. Not the current snail pace Congolese government.

Quote:
As much as I would like to see a decent road network built, I would prioritise the rehabilitation and the construction of the missing connecting lines to the railways network. This would in turn reduce the material transportation costs but at the same time speed up the process.
Very well said. Mixing RailRoad and Hoghways is a must for the size of Congo. I would say we're exclussive in this respect. size, people everywhere, big population.

Quote:
Still using the The $60Billion as the baseline, maybe a 40 year plan is more feasible. If my maths is accurate then this works out at $750million spent on highway projects a year, at a speed of 375km of high quality road a year, I think this is more mature and sensible. The first half of the construction project (20 years) will be constructed under foreign guidance and management but with complete knowledge transfer and maintenance training. The indigenous will have been trained up and ready to handle the rest of the project and more.
I agree with everything, except the 375 km per year. thats very short in my opinion. I will say. 1,200 km per year.

Quote:
Private companies and partners should be encouraged to the feeder roads with the ability to insert toll charges. Creative thinking to share the costs.
+10

Quote:
Funny thing with us africans is that people might just find a way around toll charges. In Nigeria, there is an expressway with a toll road but everyone refused to pay the charges so the toll booths are in place but cars just drive through. I am sure they will start moaning when that same road starts to decay due to lack of maintenance, most people that can afford to keep a car running will have enough money to pay the fee.
Thats a big deal. Maintenance.

But what Nigerians are doing is just their problem. In our country, in Katanga for example. The Toll station has been a success, In Nord-Kivu there is a fee for entering Butembo Town and Congolese don't have problem paying toll fees.
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #14
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Here is what i meant by a 2x2 ( or 4 lanes ) And a 2x3 ( or 6 lanes )

While the rest of the country simply needs a 1x1.

http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/a...4.jpg&newest=1

Reason why i reduced the lanes from the ones i made before in othyer threads is because i studied the demographic make up of the country and found where there are concetrated population.

So we have the west of the country (Kin, Kongo Central ) , Southern Katanga (and it mining importance) and the Grand Kivu (Nord, Sud Kivu, Maniema ) for having the mining and Agriculture muscles. but also heavily populated. No worries with Grand Kasai, Bandundu because they are centrally located.

Last edited by BUTEMBO21; November 24th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #15
preme3000

Good work on the kin-Lum map, that project will materialise one day, a lot of people can make money from that line.

I agree with the population concentration. I hope we do get to a stage were we can build 1,200km a year but its doubtful imo.

From where we are, I can't see how 1,200km a year can be achieved with no functional supporting industries, don't forget this will include tunnels, bridges, interchanges, cutting down forested areas, setting up camps for workers, planning around the rainy season, creating dams to divert water flows in sme places, security issues, etc.

With the current situation, a 40 year national plan that is ringfenced against presidential changes is manageable for me. National projects should be independent of whatever leadership is in charge.
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #16
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Good work on the kin-Lum map, that project will materialise one day, a lot of people can make money from that line.

I agree with the population concentration. I hope we do get to a stage were we can build 1,200km a year but its doubtful imo.

DRC Maps from BBC.

Quote:
From where we are, I can't see how 1,200km a year can be achieved with no functional supporting industries, don't forget this will include tunnels, bridges, interchanges, cutting down forested areas, setting up camps for workers, planning around the rainy season, creating dams to divert water flows in sme places, security issues, etc.

With the current situation, a 40 year national plan that is ringfenced against presidential changes is manageable for me. National projects should be independent of whatever leadership is in charge.
I agree here with most things. But i think a 600 km per year is doable. although not with the kind of snail pace of current government. thing is that Kin-Lushi highway is much more doable because it's not heavily forested like in north and there are less big rivers than the north, nor is it mountainous like in eastern borders (one of the most the 2 most challenging terrain in the country alongside the Equateur province).
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Pius
The Urban Man

These wish lists look fantastic on paper but let us be realistic. Is the DRC in a position to finance the construction of 1,200km of roads and x km railways tracks and stations per year while constructing new hospitals, schools, ports, airports, hydroelectric dams, military barracks, administrative buildings, prisons and ensuring decent salaries to civil servants, soldiers, teachers, medical personnel, and introducing a tuition-free education; all this while improving macroeconomic fundamentals?

The question is asked because the government has been systematically criticized for failing or underperforming in each of the above fields…

The reality is that the (re)construction of the country depends on the means at hand, not on the nation’s needs. Every sector needs improvement as a matter of priority and there is not enough money to finance all the projects. If the cake is to be shared equally to everyone’s satisfaction, I do not see how any government (the current or, if they win, the so-called opposition) can manage to pull off such an exploit, even if the national revenue were to treble. So far, nobody has come up with a credible plan to cut this Gordian knot…
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #18
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Yes it's a wish. But i think we all know , we can't even mention today's government.

But in case we get a decent and why not competant government/leadership.
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #19
Karavia

Likes (Received): 329

Quelques vidéos expliquant le travail fait sur les routes au Katanga

Old November 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #20
preme3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pius View Post
These wish lists look fantastic on paper but let us be realistic. Is the DRC in a position to finance the construction of 1,200km of roads and x km railways tracks and stations per year while constructing new hospitals, schools, ports, airports, hydroelectric dams, military barracks, administrative buildings, prisons and ensuring decent salaries to civil servants, soldiers, teachers, medical personnel, and introducing a tuition-free education; all this while improving macroeconomic fundamentals?

The question is asked because the government has been systematically criticized for failing or underperforming in each of the above fields…

The reality is that the (re)construction of the country depends on the means at hand, not on the nation’s needs. Every sector needs improvement as a matter of priority and there is not enough money to finance all the projects. If the cake is to be shared equally to everyone’s satisfaction, I do not see how any government (the current or, if they win, the so-called opposition) can manage to pull off such an exploit, even if the national revenue were to treble. So far, nobody has come up with a credible plan to cut this Gordian knot…
The means to make a difference are available but funds are systematically being misused, starting from the very top with the latest allegations being that the president has sold off state assets to raise funds for his election program.

If the ruler is in a position to raise funds for such adventures, then surely it means that funds can also be raised the same way for reconstruction efforts?

That is why I reckon long term plans are the best way forward such as my 40 year proposal to break down the costs. Even if increased to a 60 year plan then I will take it, a 60 year plan will mean spending $375m a year on the national road project, that is very achievable.

If someone said after 60 years, Congo will have a fully functional 15,000km highway system, I will take that as opposed to now where I don't even know what shape the country will be in a couple of week's time.

The other key word you mentioned is prioritisation - trying to put out too many fires at the same time does not get you anywhere and that is what has happened. I personally would not utter a single word of complaint if the country was secure, as was the priority in 2001.