daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami

Miami » Development News | Also includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties

Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Architek

Likes (Received): 84

Perez Donates $35million to Art Museum> Now the Perez Museum of Art?

Although I like Jorge, since the guy was a former planner, dont necessarily like changing the name. But the same thing happened at the PAC, so its not uncommon- just think it would be more of a tourist destination if it continues to advertise under the moniker of the miami art museum.

What do you guys think?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Developer gives $35 million naming donation to Miami Art Museum

BY HANNAH SAMPSON

Miami developer Jorge Pérez has agreed to donate $35 million in cash and art from his collection to the Miami Art Museum in a deal that will see the museum renamed the the Jorge M. Pérez Art Museum of Miami-Dade County.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/0...#ixzz1fLFf4htv
Architek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 3571

Terrible. It has to remain the Miami Art Museum.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM   #3
theEmbarcadero

Likes (Received): 1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Terrible. It has to remain the Miami Art Museum.
I never liked buildings/stadiums/airports named after people anyway.

The only reason I call Sun Life Stadium, Joe Robbie is that it was the original name. It should have been named Dolphin Stadium from the get go..!
theEmbarcadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #4
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 3955

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEmbarcadero View Post
I never liked buildings/stadiums/airports named after people anyway.

The only reason I call Sun Life Stadium, Joe Robbie is that it was the original name. It should have been named Dolphin Stadium from the get go..!
Agreed, but I'm sure you would agree with me that the Charles Nelson Reilly Art Museum would have been far preferable from both an aesthetic and global respect perspective.

spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #5
theEmbarcadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
Agreed, but I'm sure you would agree with me that the Charles Nelson Reilly Art Museum would have been far preferable from both an aesthetic and global respect perspective.

Agreed....(but why no mention of Bret Sommers)?
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #6
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

All kidding aside, despite Perez' extraordinarily generous gift I agree not changing the name would have been preferable.

I thought this was a pretty good Herald column...and it offers some alternatives that (hopefully) would satisfy all parties:

In My Opinion
What’s in a museum’s name? Everything

Fabiola Santiago The Miami Herald

In the middle of Art Basel Miami Beach, when we’re basking in the glow of hosting one of the most respected contemporary art fairs in the world, the board of trustees of the Miami Art Museum drops the kind of divisive news that quickly empties a room.

With a new donation of $15 million and a Latin American art collection valued at another $15 million, developer Jorge M. Pérez has bought himself the naming rights to what many dream will become the region’s showcase museum.

What’s in a name?

Everything: identity, ownership, pedigree, brand.

And that’s why the Miami Art Museum’s name change to the Jorge M. Pérez Art Museum of Miami-Dade County is causing such consternation in the visual arts community. In most respected art regions, the major museum’s name honors the city and the arts, not individual donors, no matter how much they give to advance the museum’s development.

But now, it looks like MAM is no more in a city that aspires to grow its reputation worldwide as a cultural destination.

All of a sudden, it’s the Pérez Art Museum, for short.

“It’s embarrassing,” says Manuel González, a patron who has made several art donations to MAM. “It’s scandalous that they would change an institution’s name for so little money. This is not Jorge Pérez’s museum. This is Miami’s museum. Rockefeller gave $100 million to the Museum of Modern Art and it didn’t become The Rockefeller Museum.” I agree.

If the objections to the Pérez name were simply ethnically charged, as some claim, I would say to the opponents to get over it and let’s move on. But the objections are not about the ethnicity of the giver, who was born in Argentina of Cuban parents, but about the vision for the museum and about its larger mission as the area’s primary art institution.

Other museums named after the big-time art patrons who founded them — the Bass and the Wolfsonian in Miami Beach and the Frost at Florida International University — are all complementary museums with limited roles, not the main art dish in town.

And it’s a misguided idea to sell for so little money the naming rights to a quasi-public institution funded by taxpayers to the tune of a $100 million in bonds. But as was the case with the performing arts center, the MAM leadership, in a desperate attempt to meet financial goals in recessionary times, felt forced to accept the donors’ terms.

Truth is, no one but Pérez has stepped up with as generous a donation, and for having risen to the challenge despite the financial difficulties of his development company, The Related Group, Pérez should be praised and applauded.

But by insisting on renaming the museum after himself, Pérez, who had previously donated $5 million to MAM, could end up hurting the institution he’s trying to help.

His $15 million, to be delivered over a 10-year-period, is only a short-term solution in order to arrive on time and within budget at the completion of the museum’s splendid waterfront home in 2013. Such a home, designed by an architectural firm recognized all over the world, Herzog & de Meuron, deserves the highly marketable brand name Miami Art Museum.

A solo man’s name puts in jeopardy other potential donations if philanthropists and art collectors perceive, as they already have with the announcement of the name change, that one man is turning this museum into his personal domain.

Pérez can still make things right by forgoing the museum’s name change, and instead opting that his generous donation be recognized for all to see in a prominent place on the building, or on a major wing, and in the paperwork of whatever programming his money funds.

He would gain plenty of respect for the gesture and lose little in the way of recognition.

His legacy would then be more praise-worthy: Jorge M. Pérez, the man who saved the Miami Art Museum.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM   #7
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
Agreed....(but why no mention of Bret Sommers)?
Allright, we'll give her a memorial wing or something. Richard Dawson was supposedly a drunken creep in real life, however. He gets (maybe) his name on a urinal.
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 595

Terrible idea to rename the Museum! Who the hell is going to know that this place is in Miami or is a public museum? Keep it the MAM and just give George a wing for the collection he has donated!.
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
theEmbarcadero

Quote:
Allright, we'll give her a memorial wing or something. Richard Dawson was supposedly a drunken creep in real life, however. He gets (maybe) his name on a urinal.
...and he probably kissed more ugly women than any man on the planet!!!!
Old December 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #10
dave8721

Likes (Received): 2666

A lot of it is probably the fact that it is Jorge Perez the person (not a popular figure with a lot of Miamians) and the fact that his name is "Jorge Perez" (cultural bias angle). A lot of the cultural crowd still views Perez as being somewhere below the anti-Christ for proposing the towers next to Vizcaya. We all have our biases and preconceived notions and for a lot of people a "Perez Museum" does not hold the same prestige as a "Field Museum" or "Getty Museum" or "Guggenheim".

Funny, you don't see anyone making any kind of a big deal that the new science museum is being named the "Frost Museum" after a $35 million donation by Phillip Frost.
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 508

I agree that naming the entire museum after him is going a bit overboard. Perhaps, we can agree to just re-name some of the museum's paintings in his honor.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #12
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
A lot of it is probably the fact that it is Jorge Perez the person (not a popular figure with a lot of Miamians) and the fact that his name is "Jorge Perez" (cultural bias angle). A lot of the cultural crowd still views Perez as being somewhere below the anti-Christ for proposing the towers next to Vizcaya. We all have our biases and preconceived notions and for a lot of people a "Perez Museum" does not hold the same prestige as a "Field Museum" or "Getty Museum" or "Guggenheim".

Funny, you don't see anyone making any kind of a big deal that the new science museum is being named the "Frost Museum" after a $35 million donation by Phillip Frost.
Excellent point. Some people are born to have museums named after them; others are not. A museum will be named after Phillip Frost, but Phillip Frost could have easily also been named after a museum. This is common among British and Germanic old money, this naming of people after institutions. I once worked with a man named Oakland Belmont Blaine III, named after an architectural firm (Oakland was in the name) and one of that firm's greatest projects (Belmont Racecourse) (note that there were at least two more of this guy), but he could have just as easily been named after a museum or a university or a country estate, and likewise, all those things could have been named after him. It's the way of these people.

All kidding aside though, I don't mind the name. I think once Jorge Perez is dead and we've forgotten who he really is, the name will give the museum character. That said, I wish we could have gotten more money out of him or that he had a closer tie to the Miami art world. Is he even an art collector?
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Obfuscatus

Likes (Received): 177

Last edited by Obfuscatus; February 26th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Obfuscatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #14
theEmbarcadero

bn
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #15
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post

I had no idea that the Science Museum was being named Frost either. I have no bias towards the name Perez considering I happen to be hispanic like him. The issue is like I previously stated name recognition is everything and people know the word "Miami" in front of a museum than they would with name "Frost" or "Perez". Like others have said give these donors a wing in the museum instead and keep the name Miami.
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #16
theEmbarcadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I had no idea that the Science Museum was being named Frost either. I have no bias towards the name Perez considering I happen to be hispanic like him. The issue is like I previously stated name recognition is everything and people know the word "Miami" in front of a museum than they would with name "Frost" or "Perez". Like others have said give these donors a wing in the museum instead and keep the name Miami.
I once chose a bank soley on the fact that Miami was in the name....Continental National Bank of Miami !!!!
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #17
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Like others have said give these donors a wing in the museum instead and keep the name Miami.
Yes---I definitely think this is the best (and classiest) way of doing it. Of course, you also need a guy like Perez to agree that his name should not supercede the name Miami itself. I would hope he does, but who knows?

Besides, if the name is to honor the biggest single financial 'donor' to the museum, then that would be the TAXPAYERS of the city it exists in, so "Miami" would certainly fit that criteria as well!
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #18
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
I once chose a bank soley on the fact that Miami was in the name....Continental National Bank of Miami !!!!
I opted for Wells Fargo because it is an anagram for "A Swell Frog."
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #19
theEmbarcadero

Quote:
Yes---I definitely think this is the best (and classiest) way of doing it. Of course, you also need a guy like Perez to agree that his name should not supercede the name Miami itself. I would hope he does, but who knows?

Besides, if the name is to honor the biggest single financial 'donor' to the museum, then that would be the TAXPAYERS of the city it exists in, so "Miami" would certainly fit that criteria as well!
I had a 3rd grade crush on a girl named ODALYS PEREZ....and I would happily name any Miami erection after her !!
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #20
dave8721

Likes (Received): 2666

Quote:
I had a 3rd grade crush on a girl named ODALYS PEREZ....and I would happily name any Miami erection after her !!
She went on to become an all star pitcher for the Dodgers too
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote