daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Likes (Received): 711

Waconia, Minnesota

It's been a few months since I've gone on a phototour, so today I thought I'd explore the town of Waconia. It's a sleepy suburban town about an hour southwest of Minneapolis on Lake Waconia. What a cozy little place! I especially loved the little wooden-framed buildings downtown, which you don't see much of around here.

Waconia, Minnesota
Population: 10,697
July 24, 2011

Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #2
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 314

Thanks Jennifat!! Cute little town. My mom grew up in Carver County (Young America) - and as a kid when I'd travel back up to MN on vacation with my family (my parents moved to Indiana after getting married in Minnesota) - we'd always go through Waconia on highway 5 on our way back to Y.A. Its been growing a lot lately. I had an Aunt and Uncle and a bunch of cousins who lived in Waconia on the lake back then. We'd go fishing and water skiing out there (and snow mobiling in the winter). I was always intrigued by the island in the middle of Lake Waconia. There used to be a Summer Camp there -- and I believe there may have been some type of amusement park or something like that there as well -- way back in the 30's or some time around then. I never used to think of Waconia as a suburb of the Twin Cities but now -- I guess it is.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 716

Cute town!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
There used to be a Summer Camp there -- and I believe there may have been some type of amusement park or something like that there as well -- way back in the 30's or some time around then. I never used to think of Waconia as a suburb of the Twin Cities but now -- I guess it is.
I believe there's a summer camp on the east side of the lake, and you're correct about the amusement park! The island in the center of the lake is called "Coney Island of the West", and it used to be a draw for early 20th century resort goers.

Carver County is definitely a part of the metro today, although Waconia is more exurban than wholly suburban in nature. There's quite a bit of gorgeous wooded areas and hilly countryside to drive through on Highway 5. One of my favorite drives in the Twin Cities area.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #5
Resident

Likes (Received): 1

Beautiful town. I always love your photo tours Jen!
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 939

Nice thread. One of my best friends in college was from Waconia. I've heard some pretty entertaining stories about its secret life.

That second to last photo is really good.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
That second to last photo is really good.
Thanks Som—I'm glad I managed to get a nice shot out of that lens before I clumsily dropped it on the concrete immediately after. I swear, I need to keep everything tied to a string around my neck...
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #8
bunt_q

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Jennifat, I am really glad I stumbled upon your threads. I usually spend my time over at skyscraperpage (we have a pretty good Denver crowd, many of whom I actually know and/or work with, so it's valuable for fun and networking), and I only really come over here to look at the better international photos. But you (and Somnifor too) represent Minnesota great! If you're ever in northern Minnesota, please post some Park Rapids shots! I haven't been back for years, I'd be curious to see what's left.
bunt_q no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #9
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Hey Jennifat, I am really glad I stumbled upon your threads. I usually spend my time over at skyscraperpage (we have a pretty good Denver crowd, many of whom I actually know and/or work with, so it's valuable for fun and networking), and I only really come over here to look at the better international photos. But you (and Somnifor too) represent Minnesota great! If you're ever in northern Minnesota, please post some Park Rapids shots! I haven't been back for years, I'd be curious to see what's left.
Thanks for your kind compliments, bunt. My goal is to get photos from all over the state, but that will take a while! My family has a cabin in the Brainerd lakes area, so North Central Minnesota may be what I hit next.
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #10
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1391

Nice pcitures. The frame buildings downtown make it look like the place could fit in Upstate New York pretty well.

Are these little lakes connected to each other in Minnesota? How far can you explore in your boat if you docked it at this particular lake, for instance?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pcitures. The frame buildings downtown make it look like the place could fit in Upstate New York pretty well.

Are these little lakes connected to each other in Minnesota? How far can you explore in your boat if you docked it at this particular lake, for instance?
It really depends on the lake. Of course, we have over 15,000 of them here, and each one has a different watershed. Some are connected to rivers/other lakes, and some aren't. Lake Waconia doesn't have an outlet as far as I know, but the chain of lakes in Minneapolis, for instance (Cedar Lake, Lake of the Isles, Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun, Lake Nokomis), are connected to each other.
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #12
djrules5454

Likes (Received): 12

Nice photo-tour of downtown Waconia. I actually am from there and go back often to see my parents. Downtown is surprisingly busy for the small towns of its size in that area, though.

Its actually a pretty quick trip from Minneapolis to Waconia with the new 212 freeway, since Carver County Road 10 runs between 212 on the outskirts of Chaska and Waconia. I suggest next time you visit that you take this route. The road is much nicer, but goes up and down several hills and gracefully curves through the countryside, giving some nice views of the hills in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifat View Post
It really depends on the lake. Of course, we have over 15,000 of them here, and each one has a different watershed. Some are connected to rivers/other lakes, and some aren't. Lake Waconia doesn't have an outlet as far as I know, but the chain of lakes in Minneapolis, for instance (Cedar Lake, Lake of the Isles, Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun, Lake Nokomis), are connected to each other.
Lake Waconia does have a small, non-navigable creek (I think it's called Carver Creek) that connects it to a smaller lake on the town's west side, and then winds its way across Carver County to the Minnesota River in Carver. The creek itself has for the most part been buried underground between the two lakes by exurban growth in the last 20-30 years.
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #13
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 25

pretty cool lookin small town! Is there many cottages on the lake? from the pictures you can see any.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #14
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

Thanks, Mudhen! Yes, there are houses all along the lake, but primarily in the southwestern end where the city of Waconia sits. It's actually a very large lake; the wooded areas you're seeing are on an island in the center which isn't developed.

It's fairly rare for lakes in the Twin Cities area (and most of Minnesota, for that matter) to not have housing or some sort of development on their shores unless it's in a remote area or if the land is protected. Owning lakefront property for Minnesotans is basically like owning oceanfront property for people on the coasts.
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #15
kznkax789
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I believe there's a summer camp on the east side of the lake, and you're correct about the amusement park! The island in the center of the lake is called "Coney Island of the West", and it used to be a draw for early 20th century resort goers.
kznkax789 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #16
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 314

Somebody needs to ban this strange poster or computer program. This is just a repost of one of Jennifat's earlier posts.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #17
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 379

Nice town but I'm still waiting for pictures of Minnesota towns like Chisago City, Lindstrom, Tyler Falls, Scandia, Mora, Karlstad. They're small towns but interesting.

Also a couple of photos from Bishop Hill, IL would be a appreciated.

Chisago City has its own rapstar who sings about his city on youtube, like that song !
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #18
Jennifat
Midwest Diva

I have been considering doing a Hwy 8 photo tour (Lindström, Chisago City, Taylors Falls, St. Croix Falls), but honestly there's not very much to see in these towns. They're very non-descript, fairly uninteresting places aside from the beautiful lakes in the area or the Dalles of the St. Croix.

Lindström does have a Swedish tea pot for a water tower, though! And many of the businesses in the tiny downtown area have dual English/Swedish signs.
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #19
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifat View Post
I have been considering doing a Hwy 8 photo tour (Lindström, Chisago City, Taylors Falls, St. Croix Falls), but honestly there's not very much to see in these towns. They're very non-descript, fairly uninteresting places aside from the beautiful lakes in the area or the Dalles of the St. Croix.

Lindström does have a Swedish tea pot for a water tower, though! And many of the businesses in the tiny downtown area have dual English/Swedish signs.
Maybe they're very non-descript, fairly uninteresting places for you, but for me it's very interesting.

Having seen lots of documentary about the swedish-american emigration in the 1860's I know a bit about the topic. There also is something called the swedish-american emigration trail in Tyler Falls, where anual walks take place, the american "Vasaloppet" ski-competition and the Karl-Oskar Day-carneval. I've seen it on youtube.

So keep exploring Minnesota, I'll be watching.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lakes, midwest, minnesota, summer, twin cities