daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2006, 02:47 PM   #41
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 1

Great updates Love the fact that there is so much in Columbia that can be preserved. Not all cities can do that. Sure, there are some old structures everywhere, but sometimes it makes no financial sense to fix them up and repackage them. By the way, Vsion looks cool

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:16 AM   #42
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 15

Yeah, I would like to see a rendering in color though. But it's good to see residential development east of Main; most of Capitol Places' development has been along Main and the Vista has most of downtown's newest residential units.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:03 PM   #43
krazeeboi

Carolina Walk:

The Spur at Williams-Brice:

Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:30 AM   #44
krazeeboi

Here's the newspaper article for Vsion.
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #45
krazeeboi

The Bull Street neighborhood finally has a website.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #46
Raleigh-NC

Great links!!! You make me jealous

The right decision
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #47
krazeeboi

^You shouldn't be.
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #48
Raleigh-NC

Well, I am, because we have so many projects to be happy about and 1-2 of them have made enough progress to create cheer and bring joy Sorry for getting off topic, but count with me for a moment: Quorum Center (has already topped out), Convention Center (just started getting some height), Palladium Plaza (only on the 3rd floor), Carlton Place (3 stories don't make much difference). The rest of the projects still have a way to go before they gain some visibility Since you have been following closely the developments in Raleigh, you know that having 3-4 projects you can [currently] talk about is hardly enough. We have another 6-12 months before we can flood SSC with construction updates... Thank God for the construction updates Columbia forumers post every now and then, which gives me a place to go and see some progress

I don't have to say it again, but I like what I see happening in Columbia. I feel that every city would envy Columbia for the huge amount of ongoing and upcoming projects.

The right decision

Last edited by Raleigh-NC; June 6th, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #49
krazeeboi

Well, I guess every city goes through the stage of having proposals and announcements, yet not having anything to show for it at present. I'm more than certain that all of the great things proposed in Raleigh (eg, Soleil, RBC, etc.) will eventually happen. I think both cities have much to be proud of at present, and much more to look forward to in the future.
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #50
Raleigh-NC

You have no idea how anxious I am to visit Columbia. Not that I have raised my expectations beyond the normal level, but I want to see the city with my own two eyes and enjoy what it has to offer. In other words, I will visit with open mind. Very rarely I have been disappointed in the past.

One favor: Can someone put together a list of major projects in Columbia that never materialized, or were significantly scaled down?

The right decision
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #51
krazeeboi

I think you'd truly enjoy your trip to Columbia. Those who have visited both cities tend to say they favor in a lot of ways.

Hmmmm....I think Waccamatt would know more about the unrealized/scaled down projects than me.
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #52
krazeeboi

Pictures of City Club construction:

Old June 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #53
krazeeboi

Someone with his ear to the ground said we should be on the lookout for a project in Olympia that will definitely trump Whaley Row. As long as it is urban and in character for the neighborhood (non-gated, NO GARAGES IN FRONT, etc.) and has some sort of architectural significance to it, I'll be happy. I'm actually hoping it will be a condo project of some sort.
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #54
krazeeboi

It seems as though the Justice Square Townhomes are gearing up for second phase to that existing development. Here's how the first phase looks:

This is downtown in the Vista.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #55
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 323

i've been back almost 2 weeks now...very interesting, and nice to see the progress, preservation and spots for future progress. i've also been exploring new parts of downtown (northeast) while running...

and i've been getting reaquainted with the Art Bar and Hunter Gatherer.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #56
krazeeboi

I'm sure you're glad to be back in the mix, LSyd.
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #57
LSyd
Megalomaniac

City Club looks awesome...i had no idea where that was until i walked by it friday night.

-

- gleegieboy
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #58
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Vista edifice eyed for condos
Developer wants to convert historic cotton warehouse into 173 loft units
By JEFF WILKINSON
jwilkinson@thestate.com
A Columbia development team has a contract on the massive Palmetto Compress and Warehouse Co. building near Blossom and Huger streets in the Vista.

Metropolitan Development and the Arnold Cos. plan to turn the historic, four-story former cotton warehouse into 173 loft condominiums with some first-floor commercial space.

The nearly century-old, 329,000-square-foot building is about the same size as the Olympia and Granby mills, whose renovations have breathed new life into the nearby mill villages.

If the deal goes through, the $40 million-plus retrofit would capitalize on the building’s location in the heart of USC’s planned Innovista research district.

“It’s the biggest building in the Vista and in the middle of what USC is doing with Innovista,” said David Bryant of Metropolitan Development.

But the developer cautioned the deal is not “100 percent. We still have to run the numbers.”

The condos will likely be priced from $130,000 to $275,000, making them among the Vista’s more affordable new offerings. Condos have been announced for up to $1 million in the Vista.

The development, tentatively named Innovista Lofts, is the first to be announced since USC and the Guignard family unveiled a master plan for the family’s 90-acre riverfront property and the 45-acre area between Assembly Street and the Congaree River.

The master plan calls for a new riverfront park — to be the city’s largest — and envisions 4,000 residential units feeding off the university’s planned research campus.

The building is slightly smaller than the 350,000-square foot Olympia Mill, which is being renovated in Olympia Village, and larger than the 270,000-square-foot Granby Mill, which has been converted into apartments.

Like the mill buildings, the Palmetto Compress building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The building “has 7½ acres under roof,” Bryant said. “And I had a contract on it before (USC and the Guignards) made their announcement. For once, I got lucky.”

Mayor Bob Coble called the re-use of the old building “a breakthrough” for the city.

“It seems we have an announcement (of a new downtown residential project) every week,” he said. “But that building has been a sleeping giant for years. Now it’s going to be right in the center of things.”

The Palmetto Compress building is being used as ministorage warehouses.

It was built in sections from 1917 to 1923 to compress and store cotton bales. It has the capacity to store 55,000 cotton bales, according to its application to the historic register.

“It’s a fabulous building,” said Robin Waites, executive director of Historic Columbia. “It’s an important piece of the city’s textile and mill history, which was so important to Columbia in the late 19th and early 20th century.”

When the building was nominated for the National Register of Historic Places in the 1980s, it was one of only four surviving cotton compress facilities in the Southeast, Waites said.

If the deal goes through, Bryant and partner Ben Arnold plan 173 urban lofts that would incorporate the warehouse’s heart pine floors, exposed brick walls and 10½-foot-tall ceilings.

“In the Vista, everyone wants the warehouse look, and this has the potential to be the funkiest thing in the area,” Bryant said.

Most of the units will average about $200,000, Bryant said.

“We want to keep it basic so we can keep the price reasonable,” Bryant said. “I want to go under the radar with a true loft that provides more product for younger people — Gen X, Gen Y and young professionals.

“The market is already there. There’s just no product.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

more awesome news...especially on the price.

-

- gleegieboy
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #59
krazeeboi

Yeah, and I had no idea it was listed on the historic register. I'm hoping that the numbers look good for these guys and that it will spur some development along Pulaski, which desperately needs it.

Huger is going to start looking like another Gervais in the coming years.
Old July 1st, 2006, 03:10 AM   #60
krazeeboi

Vsion rendering in color:

http://www.vsioncondos.com