daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Old December 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #121
Briggsy

Likes (Received): 12

The stadium looks nice, but to leave the concourses open like that and open to the elements is shocking. People want to be inside to get some warmth done cover from rain/snow but there they can't......really poor planning by the designers IMO!
Briggsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #122
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 2584

Yeah, the issue over the lack of cladding is certainly a farce, but at least something will be done about that. The concourse areas look a decent size, however, the vast amount of exposed concrete blocks let it down in my opinion. In saying that, I still think it's a decent stadium.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #123
RMB2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGod View Post

the corner of the Western Terrace and North stand

image hosted on flickr

North Stand

image hosted on flickr

you can see from all the above pics that the West and North stands are somewhat spartan in appearance compared to the South stand. Hopefully once these stands get cladded (which is the plan) they will start to look a lot better.
Oh, and a coat of paint would also enhance this area of the stadium.

Last edited by RMB2007; December 11th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #124
TommyGod

Likes (Received): 9

I would personally like the block work painted white.

It would then have red turnstiles and central lift shaft, white brickwork and grey/black outer perforated cladding (once this gets put on, in the next month or two)

For what its worth the North stand which is what you have shown above is going to get the "Wall of Legends" put on it, which will further help breakup the drab grey exterior and add a bit more colour to the stand.

Internally these Legends pictures also add a bit of colour and class to the stadium. At the moment there are only three installed, but as the fitout will only be finished early next year there is plenty of time for more to be added.

image hosted on flickr

The bars themselves are supposed to be themed as well with each getting an individual name and sign above them. This should further add some colour.

Essentially what we have at present is the equivalent to a newly built house. The basics have been installed ready to be lived in, but the furniture and personalisation is still ongoing, and it will probably be February or even March before we can look at the finished article.
TommyGod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #125
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Likes (Received): 490

Apparently part of the roof has blown off in high winds.
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #126
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 734

That's the second time it's happened in the space of a month. Shoddy design engineered on the cheap?
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #127
DavidBanks

Likes (Received): 0

High wind speeds have caused the roofing cladding to dis attach from the structure.
DavidBanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #128
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1614

Just think,we could've had a ground just like that in Kirkby,it's not looking good is it,Langtree need to get a grip.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #129
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Another newbee making comments about a project in our region,I hope you stick around,so many others don't,some have a very strange obsession with us but I'm sure you're not one of them though.If you are,I suggest counselling,if not,welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Paul D; January 4th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #130
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

St Helens hopeful over Langtree Park opener

Langtree Park St Helens' first Super League game at Langtree Park will be against Salford

St Helens are hopeful that the first match at their new Langtree Park stadium will go ahead as planned despite storm damage.

A triangular section of roofing was dislodged as gales and driving rain swept through the area on Tuesday.

Saints, who played at Widnes's Halton Stadium in 2011 after leaving Knowsley Road, are scheduled to open their new home against Widnes on 20 January.

A club statement said events leading up to the game would continue as planned.

It said: "Contractors accessed the site as soon as weather conditions allowed and they have now taken steps to make the roof safe.

"Work will continue to repair the roof to the highest standard and the programme of events in the run-up to the first match on 20 January against Widnes will continue as planned."
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #131
DavidBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Another newbee making comments about a project in our region,I hope you stick around,so many others don't,some have a very strange obsession with us but I'm sure you're not one of them though.If you are,I suggest counselling,if not,welcome to the forum.
I can a sure you I don't require counselling, i'm actually a student studying for a Quantity Surveying degree. It seems an incredibly active forum and I will certainly be staying around this website has been like a hidden gem and I'm glad I have finally discovered it's existence!
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #132
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanks View Post
I can a sure you I don't require counselling, i'm actually a student studying for a Quantity Surveying degree. It seems an incredibly active forum and I will certainly be staying around this website has been like a hidden gem and I'm glad I have finally discovered it's existence!
Excellent,I'll hold you to that.
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #133
TommyGod

The whole thing is rather embarrassing not only for the club, but the builders Barr and their appointed contractors.

Its quite naturally caused accusations to fly from fans about cowboy builders, and raised accusations, of people cutting corners to get a stadium built on the cheap.

Personally i dont think this is the case, though i do wonder if someone has miscalculated the amount of bracing the roof needs to keep it secure.
For example its noteworthy to point out that the part of the roof that was damaged a month ago has remained fully intact. No doubt because this section has been strengthened. However the section next to it is what has now become damaged. Makes you wonder if by strengthening one part they introduced a weakness elsewhere.

That makes me ask if the club will request the roofers see about strengthening the whole of the stadium roof.

For the record. This is a link to an article re the firm that did the stadium roof.

http://www.in-cumbria.com/firm-compl...errerPath=home

I think its also noteworthy that the Espom racecourse also suffered roof damage, and has the same type of aluminium cladding. Not fitted by the above people though. This does make me wonder if this type of roof cladding isnt really upto being fitted on buildings in Britain.
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #134
DavidBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGod View Post
The whole thing is rather embarrassing not only for the club, but the builders Barr and their appointed contractors.

Its quite naturally caused accusations to fly from fans about cowboy builders, and raised accusations, of people cutting corners to get a stadium built on the cheap.

Personally i dont think this is the case, though i do wonder if someone has miscalculated the amount of bracing the roof needs to keep it secure.
For example its noteworthy to point out that the part of the roof that was damaged a month ago has remained fully intact. No doubt because this section has been strengthened. However the section next to it is what has now become damaged. Makes you wonder if by strengthening one part they introduced a weakness elsewhere.

That makes me ask if the club will request the roofers see about strengthening the whole of the stadium roof.

For the record. This is a link to an article re the firm that did the stadium roof.

http://www.in-cumbria.com/firm-compl...errerPath=home

I think its also noteworthy that the Espom racecourse also suffered roof damage, and has the same type of aluminium cladding. Not fitted by the above people though. This does make me wonder if this type of roof cladding isnt really upto being fitted on buildings in Britain.
I presumed the same thought process, the roof's structure may lack rigidity to resist the horizontal wind loading's causing the roof cladding to be stripped off by winds. It's either that or a case of this form of roof cladding not been adequate for it's purpose.
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #135
RMB2007

With many new stadiums now, expansion is always something that's considered even in the initial plans. So, do we know if the stadium can be expanded if the club ever needs to do so?
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #136
tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggsy View Post
The stadium looks nice, but to leave the concourses open like that and open to the elements is shocking. People want to be inside to get some warmth done cover from rain/snow but there they can't......really poor planning by the designers IMO!
I agree prefer the expanded Halliwell jone's over this.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #137
TommyGod

Some pics from the Founder members event on Friday.

Roof repairs are coming on apace.

Spoke with sources at the club and they said first bit of damage a month ago was due to that section not being properly fitted.
The more recent damage was actually down to the roof design itself.
Roof is designed to take winds well over 100mph. However the curved nature of the stadium combined with the roof overhang and exposed corner, helped to create vortices that pushed wind speeds well in excess of anything anticipated.

They are now therefore not only repairing the roof but strengthening that corner.

image hosted on flickr

Anyway onto the stadium itself

They have been personalising the interior with more of the legends pics

image hosted on flickr

The bars around the ground also are individually named. Here are a few of them

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This sign was awaiting fitting

image hosted on flickr

Talking about bars. Saints also have their own beer. Which is a proper pint. I expect those personalised pint glasses to gain legs very quickly though.

image hosted on flickr

The Founders bar within the stadium is already open and doing business, even though its awaiting TV's to be fitted.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Onto the stadium itself.

Looked lovely in the winter sun

image hosted on flickr

The view from the North stand disabled gantry, showing the excellent view.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Panoramic from the North stand, looking towards the South stand

image hosted on flickr

and from the South Stand looking towards the North

image hosted on flickr

view of the pitch and the North stand

image hosted on flickr

directors box, and above TV studio and camera gantry

image hosted on flickr

The directors pitch entrance, with disabled facilities in the front

image hosted on flickr

Now onto some interior shots

The dressing rooms are fitted out to a high spec.

image hosted on flickr

This is the referees room, which is bigger than some clubs actual team dressing rooms

image hosted on flickr

The clubs Premier members lounge

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The far larger Sponsors lounge

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The players lounge. Still awaiting tables and chairs

image hosted on flickr

Murals also adorn the inside of the South stand. Though for some reason someone has thought it nice to have them looking like paint has been spilled on them

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

view from the Premier lounge of the west terrace, which gives you an indication of the size of that terrace.

image hosted on flickr

Some more night-time shots of the stadium, minus floodlights.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:02 PM   #138
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 803

Some moans about the open sides, not good in the winter but less of a problem through the summer?

Old January 21st, 2012, 02:45 PM   #139
TommyGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadboy View Post
Some moans about the open sides, not good in the winter but less of a problem through the summer?

Pretty much agree that on a nice summer day having the ground open will make for a more pleasant experience for players as well as fans.

However in January, February, March or April it can be pretty bad.

Anyway onto some pics i took for the Widnes friendly

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

a good old fashioned packed terrace

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Widnes fans in the away end

image hosted on flickr

Quiet at the pie shop in the ground. No doubt when Wigan come to town this will be 20 people deep

image hosted on flickr

South stand concourse. I was sat in the North stand but they allow you to walk around the ground.

image hosted on flickr

My main issue was not with the stadium itself but with the post match crowd control outside the ground. The vast majority of people had parked in the town centre as advised by the police and council. This meant most of the crowd used The Saints Way footpath to get to and from the stadium. Travelling to the ground was fine. However getting away across the bridge was dangerously overcrowded IMO as these pics show. Hopefully the police will put a plan in place to better manage the crowds. Perhaps use something similar to what the Met do for crowds travelling down Wembley way post match.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #140
mattlister

Who decided to put support posts right in front of the bars.

Thankfully our visit is in August I wouldn't like to visit while there's no cladding, hopefully you get that sorted soon. It looks like you need a wider bridge and/or alternative parking/travel options, to the side of that path doesn't look safe either.

Other than that it's fantastic to see new stadiums and I'll look forward to visiting much more than Knowsley Road, both on the facilities side and hopefully we will have a better record there.