daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1081
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Eh?

I can get from my house (in Manchester) to Heathrow in less than 1.5hrs. It takes that long to drive to Brum let along catching any trains.
(Is that 1.5 hours by car or plane?)

A slight exaggeration on my part.

But by the time you've checked in at an airport, waited a bit, you've been there at least an hour even before the plane leaves the ground .... you'd be at Stafford on the M6 at least by then!!!

I was making quite a serious point though, that internal flights within our tiny island will be doomed once we finally have a network of 225 to 250mph trains. Central Manchester to Central London in 73 minutes by train, and no hanging around an airport waiting room .... it's a no brainer, the train will win hands down!!!!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 11th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1082
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Plane, 10mins drive, 15mins check-in, 30mins boarding, 30mins flight.

I agree that internal flights will be a thing of the past a very good thing.

You seem to have forgotten that when HS2 opens to Brum classic compatible trains will start operating to Manchester leaving HS2 at Litchfield.

No need to drive down to Brum.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #1083
Sandblast

Quote:
Plane, 10mins drive, 15mins check-in, 30mins boarding, 30mins flight.

I agree that internal flights will be a thing of the past a very good thing.

You seem to have forgotten that when HS2 opens to Brum classic compatible trains will start operating to Manchester leaving HS2 at Litchfield.

No need to drive down to Brum.
Yes ... I know ... and it's "Lichfield" .... no 't'
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #1084
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Hi Woody. This was the bit I couldn't understand. How and where will the link connect Euston (HS2) with Waterloo (HS1)?
Sandblast, see my posts above (or the previous page now), they have the links to the maps HS1-HS2 link which starts at Old Oak Common station, avoiding both Euston and St Pancras, as I posted previously.

I'm sure I'm getting ignored again, I posted links to the route maps earlier, am I on everyone's ignore list or something, ha.
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #1085
Sandblast

Only taken us 40 years to catch up with France ....

.... looking forward to travelling to London in just 45 minutes!
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #1086
LNGCats

Another 14years yet before we catch them!!!

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1087
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
Sandblast, see my posts above (or the previous page now), they have the links to the maps HS1-HS2 link which starts at Old Oak Common station, avoiding both Euston and St Pancras, as I posted previously.

I'm sure I'm getting ignored again, I posted links to the route maps earlier, am I on everyone's ignore list or something, ha.
Sorry ... no you're not on ignore!!! I didn't see it and sometimes I can't be bothered to open up links!!! having a look at it now, thanks.
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1088
Sandblast

Quote:
Another 14years yet before we catch them!!!

.... quite, and more like 20 before you do ... unless you take the 'slow train' from Manc down to Birmingham that is!!!
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #1089
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 227

the best thing about the line is that it's future proofed as the photo above demonstrates.. It is currently not possible to increase capacity because of the complex old tunneling and existing underpasses (bridges etc) that classic trains need to go through, so double decked trains couldn't be used... The cost would be prohibitive and of course wouldn't allow for an increase in line speed anyway because WCML is too kinked up - especially past the Trent valley.

As for when work starts, I have a funny feeling that it'll begin at this end - reason being political in that although HS2 is costing us so much, people will want to see solme sort of immediate economic benefit.. ie, jobs.. So you will find plenty of recruitment here first.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1090
LNGCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
.... quite, and more like 20 before you do ... unless you take the 'slow train' from Manc down to Birmingham that is!!!
You say that as if that is some great prize.

Look at the geogrpahy of the country.

Look at the reaction of businessmen in Manchester and Leeds.

FWIW - Brum is alreay about 1hr closer to central London than Manc, the effect of this is far from obvious right now.

I am highly dubious that post HS2, either in 2027 or 2034 the relative distances will make any significant difference.

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1091
howester89

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

FWIW - Brum is alreay about 1hr closer to central London than Manc, the effect of this is far from obvious right now.

I am highly dubious that post HS2, either in 2027 or 2034 the relative distances will make any significant difference.
I think you have to see it in what it will also do for overcrowding on the present West Coast mainline and the potential it has for releasing more services to presently underserved parts of the country.
howester89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1092
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:

Yawn.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #1093
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Thinkinging positive here, It's looking more and more likely and if so, well.. Birmingham will truly benefit, in fact the whole of the West Midlands will. The connection to central London in just 45 minutes is fantastic.

I usually fly when going to Europe but last year I took the Euro Star to Paris and then carried on to Southern France, the whole experinence was so much more enjoyable by train, it was really easy and you see so much more. Being closer to London by train means being closer to the rest of Europe, and we can only imagine that any developer or company looking to invest out of the big smoke is going to consider Birmingham more seriously with the awesome London connection, this has always been the city's strength, its location in the centre of the country.

I'm sure HS2 would draw others to Birmingham who may want to commute to London but don't want to pay the daft rental or purchase prices. Living in Birmingham city centre is so easy to get elsewhere, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire and eventually London (by rail) all within 60 minutes journey time.. fantastic news.

The added investment opportunities are going to be seriously noticeable and I agree that this will possibly give the boost to Brum's economy which we have been waiting for since developments such as the Bullring (possibly bigger), projects which have been shelved may suddenly seem that little bit more attractive in the long term return.

Expansion of the Midland Metro will be even more important to connect other suburbs to this rapid London connection. How cool would it be if we had a late night connection, would definitely use that.

All we need now is Regal tower to kick off.. yeah right, that would be too much to ask.

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; January 11th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1094
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 36

Good point about the Metro. There was a study in Lyon that found that a considerable part of the city's success after a high speed rail link was down to the integration of the local transport network with the high speed rail.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1095
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Hopefully it will compliment all the great culture, arts and culinary greatness going on in Brum over recent years, opening up Britain's "Restaurant Capital" to the wealthy South East, make it easy enough for Londoners to travel and they're more likely to come and spend their wonga here, at present it's a bitch to get between the two by road and flight is a right pain with delays and security., but a 45 min train journey, "you're avin a larf encha"
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #1096
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Good point about the Metro. There was a study in Lyon that found that a considerable part of the city's success after a high speed rail link was down to the integration of the local transport network with the high speed rail.
I seriously think Birmingham's deconstruction of the old tram systems was a step backwards for the region, lets face it, buses are horrible to travel on, and very polluting. Trams are quick n easy and have less disruption if run well, by extending a decent tram system to other suburbs it could actually encourage journeying via HS2 to London and Europe.

When I've used trams or metros, they seem to have the frequency of buses but are faster, more enjoyable modes of transport and have less hold ups unless you're getting on one at West Bromwich where there's a high chance of being mugged or not being able to use the vandalised ticket machines (that was some years back to be fair).
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1097
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
"you're avin a larf encha"
With this supposed influx of people coming from the south east, how long before we all start speaking like that?
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1098
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Just a side thought... could this make that letter from Brum coucillors to the head of BBC for investment of BBC3 etc more "realistic" and "attractive" to stuborn London-centric staff, whilst appeasing the 1+ million Brummies that their licence fee is not being delivered on a plate to Marketing Manchester.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1099
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
With this supposed influx of people coming from the south east, how long before we all start speaking like that?
Unfortunately there are people in parts of many UK cities already speaking Mockney slang, Brum city centre is very diverse already, in fact the times I 've been out in recent years you seem to hear as many accents from the rest of the UK as you do Brummies, not that's a bad thing of course, we're a welcoming city.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1100
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

And regards Birmingham becoming another suburb of London.. I used to cringe at such an idea, but in reality, if you treat the entirity of Birmingham as a whole mega suburb then you open up somne pretty impressive virgin development opportunities for wealthy London firms. Clearly Brum City Council just do not have the resources or manpower to bring the whole city to realise its full potential of what was once once of the finest Victorian cities in Britain.

You only have to look at the brilliant work done by the guys who run the Vicoria, they realised tasteful/trendy development of olde Victorian pub pays off in Brum, people were crying out for it, then they started Island Cocktail Bar, Jekyll and Hyde Gin Parlour
and more recently the stunning old Rose Villa in the Jewellery Quarter. Similar local investors include the guy who runs The Bulls Head in Moseley and the Hare and Hounds in Kingsheath, but these people with cash in Brum are thin on the ground, the developments are there waiting to be snapped up we just need more investors who know what they're doing and who will compliment what scene we already have, whether it be food, retail, music, business etc. If someone in London fancies opening a new bar or business and they know Birmingham is an untapped market and is only 45 mins away, gotta be a consideration even if they bemoan the accent

Brum is unique in the UK, it's far bigger than any other UK city by population and has the largets council in England. Towns such as Handsworth have been ripe for cultural development for years, if areas like this are opened up to a wealthy South East for investment then we really could be talking big benefits of a closer association with the Capital. I'm not saying this will happen, but it has to be a possibility when you consider a journey time of 45 minutes, and with that comes hope and a more positive approach to inward investment into Birmingham as a whole. I'm sure it'll work both ways but I have a feeling the vastly reduced journey time will have more benefit to Brum than we may yet realise.

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; January 11th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Tags
high speed rail, high speed train, hs2, network rail, rail, railway station, railways, transport