daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #101
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 43

its no full roof.

Why does Atlanta need a new stadium?
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #102
WesTexas

And it looks like the Birds Nests forgotten cooler cousin.
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #103
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Why does it have a roof?
It's just the architects own concept, and it isn't even sited where the Falcons are looking. No formal RFPs have been let at this time, so the folks at Cloud offer their reasoning at the link listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
Why does Atlanta need a new stadium?
They don't. Owner Blank simply wants something newer that gives him more money. Due largely to the lease terms and the limited parking, the Falcons' revenue streams are among the lowest in the league. Though low in the NFL is all relative, of course.
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #104
joezierer

Likes (Received): 5

Blank wants a new stadium because the Dome is 20 years old. I disagree with that being a good reason but he's the owner.
joezierer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #105
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezierer View Post
Blank wants a new stadium because the Dome is 20 years old. I disagree with that being a good reason but he's the owner.
Yes, he's the owner, but the usual playbook is to get the city to pay for as much of it as possible or threaten to move the team to LA . Work out better lease terms with the Georgia dome and don't waste the city's money.
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #106
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
They don't. Owner Blank simply wants something newer that gives him more money. Due largely to the lease terms and the limited parking, the Falcons' revenue streams are among the lowest in the league. Though low in the NFL is all relative, of course.
Like I've been saying, why can't the city/state just rewrite the lease and give him a fairer cut?
KingmanIII está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #107
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 36

NEW STADIUM! The Georgia Dome is one of the ugliest stadiums in the country, and Atlanta, as the capital of the New South needs to be keeping up! I'm gonna be pissed if they keep the georgia dome.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #108
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Like I've been saying, why can't the city/state just rewrite the lease and give him a fairer cut?
They can, but Blank is balking because he feels he'll get a better deal out of a new venue and the State is balking because they doubt he'll find a better option. Political chicken.

According to Blank's men any plausible new agreement would still leave the Falcons low on the revenue poll, and with the "same 'ol digs." The expense of any substantial renovation wouldn't be worth it to anyone (or so they say), and the open-air faction would hate remaining in the dome. Basically, we need someone to come along and introduce a feasible long-term plan for making the dome convertible, for producing worthy high end seating that doesn't take away too many seats overall, and the fosters a better tailgating arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
NEW STADIUM! The Georgia Dome is one of the ugliest stadiums in the country, and Atlanta, as the capital of the New South needs to be keeping up! I'm gonna be pissed if they keep the georgia dome.
The exterior lacks pinache, but it's one of the most efficient multi purpose venues and apart from the finer points desired by Mr. Blank is highly function and in a solid location. Those of us who actually live here and attend events at the facility would rather they simply make a renovation work somehow, because it's far from a poor stadium. The City/State are loathe to do much to it because it is so successfull, from their vantage point.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #109
Topher51

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
So what? Since when does a football stadium have to be a iconic piece of architecture? Farmers Field is going to be becuase LA is true world class city and that venue will be used constantly for a wide range of events. The Georgia Dome holds 12 or so football games a year plus conventions and monster truck rallys. A new Falcons stadium would host even less events and probably won't even be downtown.

If the people of Atlanta want iconc civic buildings, they should get off their @sses and build the Syhmphony Center already. They don't need any new stadiums. The ones they have are well above average for each league they play in.

Topher51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #110
WesTexas

Quote:
I didnt vote for them.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #111
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 14848

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Why does it have a roof?
It's a canopy not a roof. With an opening for growing a natural grass field. And this is just a proposal from one firm that's angling for a bid.

The Falcons want a new stadium with all the bells and whistles and Atlanta wants to host a Superbowl or three, something the league will not award to the aging Georgia Dome. The only issue is who pays. Atlanta and Georgia are in no position right now to pay for a new stadium. If Blank can wrangle some other financing vehicle for his stadium, who knows?

Last edited by desertpunk; January 24th, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #112
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
The only issue is who pays. Atlanta and Georgia are in no position right now to pay for a new stadium. If Blank can wrangle some other financing vehicle for his stadium, who knows?
If he wants to pay for it himself, then by all means... but thats not typically how it goes.
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #113
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
I didnt vote for them.
Your vote wasn't needed haha. I don't include texas in the South. I think it's in a region along with new mexico and arizona, the "desert states" if you will
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #114
KingmanIII

Quote:
The stadium was renovated just 3 years ago.

The seating, concourses, and premium areas have all been modernized. There is nothing obsolete about it.

Those who want a new stadium can either a) find a billion dollars to build one, or b) move.
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #115
KingmanIII

Quote:
Your vote wasn't needed haha. I don't include texas in the South. I think it's in a region along with new mexico and arizona, the "desert states" if you will
Very little of Texas is desert; it's largely prairie, part-forest, part-hills and part-Gulf Coast.

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #116
royal rose1

Quote:
Very little of Texas is desert; it's largely prairie, part-forest, part-hills and part-Gulf Coast.

I know, but I consider grasslands, or land without trees or with few trees to be desert. I was born in San Diego and it seems to be borderline desert, only brush there, no trees, except for the non-native eucalyptus, and the rare torey pine.

Anyway, here's a map of US desert, most of texas seems to be desert by this.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=map+o...39&tx=52&ty=77
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #117
royal rose1

Quote:
The stadium was renovated just 3 years ago.

The seating, concourses, and premium areas have all been modernized. There is nothing obsolete about it.

Those who want a new stadium can either a) find a billion dollars to build one, or b) move.
I will do neither because
a) I have no interest in putting together 1 billion dollars to build a stadium in Atlanta of all cities, especially when my hometown of San Diego needs one more.
b) I don't live there so I don't have to move, and I have no intention of living in Atlanta ever. I live in Raleigh now, and even this is too "southern" for me.
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #118
KingmanIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
The Falcons want a new stadium with all the bells and whistles and Atlanta wants to host a Superbowl or three, something the league will not award to the aging Georgia Dome.
Has RG even been back to the Dome since they renovated it?
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #119
joezierer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Has RG even been back to the Dome since they renovated it?
The Georgia Dome is never getting a Super Bowl again. No amount of reonvations will fix that. The NFL likes shiny new places.
joezierer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #120
KingmanIII

Quote:
I know, but I consider grasslands, or land without trees or with few trees to be desert. I was born in San Diego and it seems to be borderline desert, only brush there, no trees, except for the non-native eucalyptus, and the rare torey pine.

Anyway, here's a map of US desert, most of texas seems to be desert by this.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=map+o...39&tx=52&ty=77
that map looks like some straight grade-school shit

they have Houston and Corpus Christi in the f**king desert? good grief...

Tags
american football, united states