daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #1
Ty Doggie
Brotha

Likes (Received): 3

Landover Mall area

Is anything being done or has been done to that spot?
Ty Doggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Nino_B

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Doggie View Post
Is anything being done or has been done to that spot?
The mall was torn down years ago. Other than possibly the Sears, its still an empty lot as far as I know.

However, I believe the Woodmore Towne Centre at Glenarden is directly across the street (the street being the Beltway) from the empty Landover Mall lot. If you click on the image of the towncentre from the air (lower right photo) you can make out the edge of the old Landover Mall parking lot at the far left of the photo.

The question is WHY did they build the Towncentre on undeveloped land instead of reusing the old Landover Mall site?

Have fond memories of Landover Mall as a very young kid.

http://www.petrieross.com/portfolioD...ore.aspx?id=16
Nino_B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #3
adelphi_sky

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_B View Post
The mall was torn down years ago. Other than possibly the Sears, its still an empty lot as far as I know.

However, I believe the Woodmore Towne Centre at Glenarden is directly across the street (the street being the Beltway) from the empty Landover Mall lot. If you click on the image of the towncentre from the air (lower right photo) you can make out the edge of the old Landover Mall parking lot at the far left of the photo.

The question is WHY did they build the Towncentre on undeveloped land instead of reusing the old Landover Mall site?

I forgot all about Landover Mall. Now that I think about it, WHY didn't they build on that empty space? I recall plans to turn it into a town center. I wonder if that was another one of Jack Johnson's blunders. Just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of nice established neighborhoods that are within walking distance to Landover Mall.
adelphi_sky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #4
uptn1bx2hrlm5blyn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_B View Post

Better Question: Why in the Hell did they demolished Landover Mall instead of raising money to rebuild the Mall like they do in Northern Virginia.........
uptn1bx2hrlm5blyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
D.Peezy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I forgot all about Landover Mall. Now that I think about it, WHY didn't they build on that empty space? I recall plans to turn it into a town center. I wonder if that was another one of Jack Johnson's blunders. Just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of nice established neighborhoods that are within walking distance to Landover Mall.
you joking right??? gotta be
D.Peezy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #6
uptn1bx2hrlm5blyn

Likes (Received): 2

They need to build a new upscale enclosed shopping mall at the Landover Mall property.......
uptn1bx2hrlm5blyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Ty Doggie
Brotha

And still no renderings of potential future use?
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #8
adelphi_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes00 View Post
The question is WHY did they build the Towncentre on undeveloped land instead of reusing the old Landover Mall
That's the same dilemma people are facing in College Park/Riverdale. residents are fussing over why the developer is cutting down trees when there are so many empty lots along Rt. 1. The simple answer is different owners. One owner of land is able to get financing to develop the land it owns, the other doesn't or can't find buyers. The developers in Westphalia didn't own the Landover Mall property. The owners of the Landover Mall land either can't get financing or can't find a buyer to develop the land.
Old September 28th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Ty Doggie
Brotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That's the same dilemma people are facing in College Park/Riverdale. residents are fussing over why the developer is cutting down trees when there are so many empty lots along Rt. 1. The simple answer is different owners. One owner of land is able to get financing to develop the land it owns, the other doesn't or can't find buyers. The developers in Westphalia didn't own the Landover Mall property. The owners of the Landover Mall land either can't get financing or can't find a buyer to develop the land.
That's saying a lot.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:48 AM   #10
Ty Doggie
Brotha

And still nothing done to it yet?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:12 PM   #11
adelphi_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Doggie View Post
And still nothing done to it yet?
You'll be waiting a while. Look at Greenbelt. They actually laid out a grid for townhomes and built a bridge. All completed about 3 years ago! And the grass just grows and grows. I'm not sure why the county is pushing New Carrollton over land that is ready to be built on. Yes, New Carrollton is a transit hub, but it's cheaper and quicker to build on land that is already prepped. It would be interesting to see what site the county has in mind for the FBI. Although Landover Mall isn't quite close enough to a metro station.