daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #41
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Is it true that its going to snow tomorrow.
Someone told me we were going to have snow tomorrow.
There's a chance of it!

Met Éireann's forecast issued at 16:32:

Quote:
Largely dry over Ulster and Leinster tomorrow, with some bright or sunny spells, though there is a risk of a few light snow showers along the east coast. Mostly cloudy elsewhere, with rain and drizzle at first, becoming confined to southern coastal counties in the afternoon. Cold, with afternoon temperatures typically no higher than 3 or 4 degrees, but ranging 6 to 8 degrees in the southwest of Munster. Winds mostly moderate, east to southeast.
Catmalojin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #42
JD47

Likes (Received): 190

I dont mind a bit of snow.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM   #43
Catmalojin

Meteorologically, today is the first day of Spring!

Met Éireann's summary of Winter 2011-2012:

Quote:
THE WEATHER OF WINTER 2011/2012
(DECEMBER, JANUARY AND FEBRUARY SUMMARY)

Dry and dull in parts; warm everywhere

Mean air temperatures for the season were between 1.2°C and 2.0°C above normal, with all three months of Winter recording above average air temperatures for the time of year. Mean air temperatures recorded in the west and southwest were the highest relative to normal, with Shannon Airport and Belmullet reporting their warmest winter since 1989 (23 years). Knock Airport reported a seasonal mean temperature of 5.5°C, its highest winter mean temperature since the station opened in 1996 (16 years). Most other stations across the country reported that it was not as warm as the winters of 2007/2008. Mean maximum and mean minimum temperatures were all above average, with the majority of minimum air and grass temperatures for Winter were recorded during the cold spell at the start of February. Most lowest minimum air and grass temperatures especially in the south and southwest were the highest in the number of years, with Valentia Observatory reporting an Winter air temperature of 1.7°C and a Winter grass minimum of -3.1°C, the highest recorded at the site since 1939 (73 years) and 1989 (23 years), respectively. Other stations in the area reported their highest minimums in five to 17 years.

EXTREME SEASONAL VALUES AT SYNOPTIC STATIONS

Rainfall
Highest seasonal total: 413.2 mm at Valentia Observatory
Lowest seasonal total: 136.0 mm at Casement Aerodrome (its driest winter since 2006)
Highest daily rainfall: 24.6 mm at Carlow (Oak Park) and Mullingar on 29th January

Temperature
Highest mean seasonal temperature: 8.9°C at Sherkin Island
Lowest mean seasonal temperature: 5.5°C at Knock Airport (its warmest winter since records began in 1996)
Highest temperature: 15.0°C at Phoenix Park on February 23rd
Lowest air temperature: -6.3°C at Mullingar on February 2nd
Lowest grass minimum temperature: -11.8°C at Casement Aerodrome on February 2nd

Sunshine
Highest seasonal total: 184.3 hours at Dublin Airport (dullest winter since 2006)
Lowest seasonal total: 72.0 hours at Valentia Observatory (dullest winter since records began in 1939)
Highest daily sunshine: 8.4 hours at Cork Airport on February 19th
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:16 PM   #44
JD47

It was a mild winter.
Old March 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #45
Viking74

Likes (Received): 25

Temperatures of 20C today in Casement outside Dublin. Crazy weather for March but who is complaining? bring it on!!
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #46
JD47

Hot again today. Might go the beach.
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #47
Catmalojin

Another scorcher of a day today!

Quote:
Record-breaking sunshine not over yet

GENEVIEVE CARBERY

Tue, Mar 27, 2012

Taking the plunge at Grand Canal Quay, Dublin, yesterday. Photographs: Daragh Mc Sweeney/Provision/Bryan O'Brien/Dara Mac Dónaill

THREE MORE days of “wall-to-wall” sun are expected as Ireland basks in unseasonable temperatures higher yesterday than in Barcelona and Crete.

Temperatures rose above 20 degrees in some parts of the country yesterday, mainly in the north-west.

A new March record was set for Belmullet, Co Mayo, where a temperature of 20.4 degrees was reached. Temperatures of 18 degrees were widespread but eastern and southern areas were cooler, with highs of about 13 degrees in Cork.

Prolonged sunshine and a milder airflow combined to bring about these unseasonable conditions, Met Éireann weather forecaster Harm Luijkx said.

A high-pressure area centred over the UK was dominating the weather in much of western Europe and keeping the sky clear so there was “wall-to-wall sunshine”, Mr Luijkx said.

A southeastern airflow was also bringing mild air from southern Europe, he added.

There will be little or no change at least until Thursday, with temperatures of 20 degrees expected in some places and in the high teens in many areas, Mr Luijkx said. “There will be warm days with plenty of sunshine, while nights will be cool as temperatures drop quickly after dark,” he said. Coastal fringes of the south and east may experience cooler weather due to onshore winds, he added.

The weekend will be sunny but much cooler, and temperatures will be back to normal values, Met Éireann has predicted. “It will be low teens at best but there is still a lot of dry weather and good sunshine,” Mr Luijkx said.

Temperatures in Ireland yesterday were on par with or above many holiday destinations, with forecasts for Rhodes at 18, Malaga at 19 and Tenerife at 20 – but not as hot as in Paris or Nice, which enjoyed 21 degrees.

A reading of 20.7 degrees recorded at Phoenix Park, Dublin on Sunday was the highest there at the time of year for almost 50 years. Just one other year in the past decade saw March temperatures above 20 degrees, when Valentia recorded 20.7 degrees in 2005.

The highest temperature ever recorded in March in Ireland was 23.4 at Phoenix Park station on March 19th, 1965. A temperature of 21.7 degrees was recorded at Birr in March 1929 and in 1946 it reached 20.5 at Mullingar.

A warning over wildfires and the dangers of illegal burning was issued as the warm spell continues. “The highest-risk period occurs between March and June, when ground vegetation is dead and dry,” said Adrian Kelly, Co Clare chief fire officer.

Blazes last year caused some €20 million in damage and destroyed 16,000 hectares of land.

The cloudless skies are also making for perfect stargazing, and Astronomy Ireland has urged people to watch for the moon, Venus and Jupiter next to each other at twilight tonight. It will set up telescopes for the public on Thursday to view Mars, which is at its closest for two years.

© 2012 The Irish Times
Another record broken at Belmullet today, with 22.2ºC recorded this afternoon.
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #48
Viking74

Likes (Received): 25

Nice and all, but I dunno if I'd consider jumping into Grand Canal Dock. I'd say the shock along would be enough to kill anyone
22 C in March. Did we even get that at all last Summer?!
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #49
Catmalojin

Bit more on this...

Quote:
Second-warmest day in March recorded with 22.2 degrees

GENEVIEVE CARBERY

Wed, Mar 28, 2012

Karina Bechtina (left) and Polina Belickoff, from Clarehall, Dublin, at Dollymount Strand, Dublin, yesterday. Photograph: Dara Mac Dónaill

Temperatures reached 22.2 degrees yesterday, making it the second-warmest March day on record.

The 22.2 degree high at Belmullet broke March records for the Co Mayo station. The highest March temperature, from 1965, was for 23.4 degrees and recorded in Dublin.

Highs of 19 degrees were experienced in many places yesterday. Not everywhere was bathed in sunshine, with mist and 12.8 degrees at Malin Head and cooler temperatures in Cork. The sunshine is set to continue today and tomorrow, with up to 20 degrees in places.

© 2012 The Irish Times
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #50
Catmalojin

Another great day today! Though it looks like the end is in sight - it's forecast to be a bit cooler and cloudier this weekend.

Quote:
Fire fighters in Northern Ireland tackle two separate gorse fires
Updated: 23:11, Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Fire fighters in Northern Ireland are currently attending two separate gorse fires in Counties Antrim and Armagh.

About 40 fire fighters are dealing with one fire in Dunloy, Co Antrim, which broke out at 2.30pm.

Meanwhile six fire engines are attending to a large gorse and forest fire near Camlough in Co Armagh, which is said to have started at around 12pm.

Around 15 acres of gorse and part of a nearby forest is on fire at Camlough Mountain and the Forest Service is working alongside fire fighters to try and contain the blaze.

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0328/ni-...rse-fires.html
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #51
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 15

This may be a bit off topic, but me and my friend are going to Cork soon due to a nice weather we're getting now, and thinking of paying a visit to Cobh as well, since I really liked it last time, although the visit is only going to last for a couple of hours, but would anybody know some nice places in there to be with a lovely weather like that,I consider stopping at the titanic museum, because that's the only place where I was, and it seemed very nice, but I don't know, could anybody tell me if there's any better places in there, where you could have a good sightseeing experience, I would prefer to be somewhere close to the water than going to the town centre, but if there's something with a wow factor, I wouldn't mind going for a visit there, could anybody tell me any good places? thanks if you can
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #52
Catmalojin

Long time since I was in Cork last, so I'm afraid I can't really help you there! Kinsale is really nice, though.

Quote:
Here today, gone tomorrow - that's sun for you

JOANNE HUNT

Thu, Mar 29, 2012

ENJOY THE last day of heat today, say forecasters – as it marks the end of almost a week of temperatures on a par with those in many holiday destinations.

The day will be fine and sunny, with highs of 18 degrees, but cooler temperatures from tomorrow will bring an end to the unseasonably warm spell.

The sun continued to shine yesterday as temperatures again rose above 20 degrees in some parts of the country – with the northwest getting the best of it.

With high pressure located just off the Mayo coast for a time, Newport was the hottest place to be, with the mercury rising to 21.1 degrees at about 3pm. But, with temperatures being recorded on the hour every hour, meteorologist Joanna Donnelly said it may have been warmer in between.

The rest of the country also got its share of the rays, with temperatures in Phoenix Park at 19.9 degrees, Valentia at 18.7 and Mount Dillon in Co Westmeath at 19.5 degrees. While acknowledging that temperatures were higher than average, Ms Donnelly said the high pressure causing them was “not particularly unusual at this time of year”.

“We’ve had record-breaking temperatures at Belmullet this week, but it hasn’t been record-breaking in the rest of the country because this has happened in the past. It’s not so completely unheard of,” she said.

“With high pressure comes cloud-free skies. It’s a warm air mass so the ground heats up, releases heat up into the air and it gets warmer,” she said.

As temperatures in Ireland have been edging past those of Crete and Barcelona this week, sales of sun cream have been climbing too, according to pharmacies.McCabe’s pharmacy in Dundrum Town Centre said sales of sun protection creams were up 20 per cent on this time last year.

“We usually see an increase from the end of April, but it’s started earlier,” said pharmacy technician Arun Katheri.

“Sales have been increasing since the weekend. People are buying high-factor sun creams for their children – mostly factor 50,” he said. Sales of fake tan were also on the up as people started to bare more skin in the warm weather, he continued.The run on sun cream will likely be short-lived, however, as temperatures return to more seasonal levels as of tomorrow.

“[Today] is really the last day of the really good weather,” Ms Donnelly added. “It’s going to turn cooler on Friday. It will still be quite mild in southern counties on Friday, with temperatures up to 15 degrees – but by Saturday it will be cooler still.”

© 2012 The Irish Times
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #53
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 32

It was nice while it lasted!!!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #54
thebig C

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I dont mind a bit of snow.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind snow every Winter if it guaranteed us a Summer
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #55
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
This may be a bit off topic, but me and my friend are going to Cork soon due to a nice weather we're getting now, and thinking of paying a visit to Cobh as well, since I really liked it last time, although the visit is only going to last for a couple of hours, but would anybody know some nice places in there to be with a lovely weather like that,I consider stopping at the titanic museum, because that's the only place where I was, and it seemed very nice, but I don't know, could anybody tell me if there's any better places in there, where you could have a good sightseeing experience, I would prefer to be somewhere close to the water than going to the town centre, but if there's something with a wow factor, I wouldn't mind going for a visit there, could anybody tell me any good places? thanks if you can
Hey Mate,

Haven't been in Cork for a while, but, I think Fota Wildlife Park is fairly nice and its near Cork. Agree with Catmalojin...Kinsale is beautiful but its a good hours drive beyond Cork City.

Have I seen you comment on the Lithuanian forum?? I look at it sometimes because I know some people from LT
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #56
thebig C

Back to reality today Still it was a little early, it always makes me nervous when we get too much sunshine in March/April and too little rain because it means that we will get it during the "Summer"!!

That said, spent a glorious day outside yesterday helping my Dad paint the parents house
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:03 AM   #57
Rapter
Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Hey Mate,

Haven't been in Cork for a while, but, I think Fota Wildlife Park is fairly nice and its near Cork. Agree with Catmalojin...Kinsale is beautiful but its a good hours drive beyond Cork City.

Have I seen you comment on the Lithuanian forum?? I look at it sometimes because I know some people from LT
Alright, thanks for the idea, I'll try to pay a visit in there aswell but Kinsale would certainly be a bit too far I'm afraid

You have indeed, I'm equally active in that forum as much as on this one
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:02 PM   #58
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
Alright, thanks for the idea, I'll try to pay a visit in there aswell but Kinsale would certainly be a bit too far I'm afraid

You have indeed, I'm equally active in that forum as much as on this one
Coolio. If you get a few free days in future Kinsale is definately worth a visit.

Yeah I look in at the Nordic and Baltic Forum a fair bit. I don't post there much except on TinCans amazingly detailed Talinn photo thread.
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:57 PM   #59
Rapter
Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Coolio. If you get a few free days in future Kinsale is definately worth a visit.

Yeah I look in at the Nordic and Baltic Forum a fair bit. I don't post there much except on TinCans amazingly detailed Talinn photo thread.
Alright, thanks for the advice

Yea, his photos are quite good alrite
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #60
Catmalojin

Quote:
Colder weather on way for Easter

CHARLIE TAYLOR

Mon, Apr 02, 2012

Say goodbye to the sunshine: Met Eireann has said that temperatures will be below average for the early part of this week

It was clear skies and sunshine for most of the country last week, but it's a different story over the coming days.

Met Éireann has said that temperatures will be below average for the early part of this week, falling to as low as 1 degree this evening and even further tomorrow and Wednesday night.

The forecast is for a wet and breezy start tomorrow morning over Munster and much of Connacht and Leinster, turning more showering in the afternoon. In Ulster, it will be cold and windy with some hail and sleet showers and the possibility of snow.

Tomorrow evening will see temperatures plunge to as low as minus 3 degrees in many parts of the country.

Wednesday and Thursday are also expected to be as cold in the evenings although daytime temperatures may reach up to 11 degrees and some clear spells are likely.

Met Éireann says that over the Easter period temperatures will be in the low teens which is normal for the time of year. However, it warns that it may feel cooler at time due to fresh, northwest winds. Some periods of rain or showers is also expected during Good Friday and Saturday which is expected to clear by Sunday.

New data from Met Éireann show temperatures for March were above average.

The weather stations at Belmullet and Cork airport recorded their highest temperatures in over 50 years last month while most other stations reported temperatures which the highest in at least 47 years.

The highest temperature last month was 22.2 degrees at Belmullet, the warmest March recorded there since 1956.

Sunshine totals for the month were above average everywhere, but it was still the dullest March since 2006 in parts of the southwest. The sunniest days of the month were between the 26th and 28th, where durations of over 11 hours were recorded everywhere.

Valentia Observatory and Shannon airport reported 11.2 hours and 11.4 hours of sunshine, their highest March daily sunshine since 1944and 1965, respectively.

Last month also saw less rainfall than normal with Mullingar reporting its driest March since 1961. Most other weather stations reported their driest March in at least 7 years.

Britan is also expecting a bout of cooler weather this week with as much as 5-10 cm of snow forecast for parts of Scotland over the coming days.

New data released today shows that March was the sunniest month in the United Kingdom since 1929 and the warmest since 1997.

The highest maximum temperature recorded was 23.6 degrees in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire, a new Scottish record for March.

The Armagh Observatory in Northern Ireland recorded its highest temperature in 47 years last month.

© 2012 irishtimes.com

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: