daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Heritage, Tourism & Infrastructure

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.98 average.
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #661
mTDI

Likes (Received): 53

well done RX & Mahruf bro!
mTDI no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 29th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #662
Moin

Likes (Received): 32

Chopper rental service poised for a takeoff

Bad traffic on roads makes the service popular for short business visits

Privately run helicopters emerged as a means of commercial travel in the last one year with businessmen, corporate executives, foreign buyers and donors opting for chartered chopper services to visit places outside the capital to avoid huge traffic congestion and time consuming road transports.

There is hardly any week the helicopters are not being used for travelling, the operators said.

“Now we get clients almost five days a week,” said Director (operations) of Square Air Group Captain (retd) M Abu Zafar. The company has been providing service with a seven seated Bell 407 helicopter including two seats for pilots since 2010 and is expecting to add another twine engine helicopter to its fleet soon.

Although commercial operations of helicopters started almost a decade ago with only two private operators, new companies have been exploring the untapped business since 2010.

Two companies have received regulatory approval from the Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (Caab) since 2010, while four others are awaiting permission. Besides, South Asian Airlines Ltd has been in operations since 2002.

Of the two companies, Square Air, a sister concern of Square Group, got Caab permission in 2010 and R&R Aviation of Shikder Group in November 2011.

Of the four business groups that have also applied for licence, Bangla International has already submitted proposal for permission for a Robinson helicopter, while Meghna Aviation Ltd has applied for an MD helicopter.

These two companies might get their permission in six months, a Caab official said, asking not to be named.

The other two companies -- Partex Aviation and Air Destiny -- are yet to submit their proposals for what type of helicopter they want to purchase.

Although two helicopter service providers, Best Air and Aero Technologies, began their journey in 1999 and 2000, they stopped their operations later due to low passenger response and some technical glitches, industry insiders said.

"Like other sectors, this business is also expanding," said Fazle Shohan, manager (operations and coordination) of South Asian Airlines Ltd.

The sector people said their main clients are businessmen, corporate executives, non-government organisations, foreign buyers and donors who visit factories or project sites outside the capital and return the same day. Besides, ministers and wealthy people use chartered helicopters.

The sector people said the other purposes of hiring helicopter services include marriage ceremony, political campaign, shooting for film and advertisement, visiting outside branches of big companies and quick movement of patients.

South Asian Airlines has two US-made four-seated Robinson R-44 II helicopters, the world's top selling model. This helicopter flies 190km per hour and can fly three hours in a single journey.

R&R Aviation Ltd is providing only corporate services with one Robinson and a Bell helicopter.

Square Air charges Tk 1 lakh for each hour of flight used for normal air transportation with a 15 percent value added tax, while for a four-seated Robinson helicopter the companies charge Tk 55,000 with 15 percent VAT.

But, if the flying involves aerial film shooting or leaflet dropping from the sky, the per hour flight charges increase, while there are extra charges for ground waiting.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=220278
Moin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #663
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 455

Perhaps some of these operators shall venture into scheduled service to other airports in Bangladesh where traffic is low yet demand is reasonable.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #664
Supersonik
Plane watcher

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemannyc View Post
CAAB eyes more staff: New organogram drafted to create 10,000 posts

by Shariful Islam

The Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh is going to restructure itself by creating 10,000 new jobs.

Wishing anonymity officials involved in the new organogram said around 2,500 employees will be dedicated to ensure security at four international and as many domestic airports.

The four international airports are Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka, Shah Amanat International Airport, Chittagong and Osmani International Airport, Sylhet and recently announced Cox's Bazar International Airport.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=220210

=============

So they now need 10,000 jobs to get FAA approval? Do they even hear what they are saying? Sounds like some crazy scheme to make money by someone. If they really have a 10k manpower shortage, planes should be falling off the skies all over Bangladesh.
Has cox bazar recently become international or is this usuall media reporting error?
Supersonik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #665
iamkarib
lonespotterbd

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.ahmed View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=&quot]As many of you noticed, I conducted a survey named 'Bangladesh Airline Poll 2011' which I believe many of you from here also participated in. The study was a completely online survey based research to evaluate the performance of the local airlines in Bangladesh based on peoples experience, knowledge and perception of the airlines and hence determine the best airline for the year 2011. A total of 153 respondents submitted the survey and I have finished analyzing the data obtained. I have also prepared a small report for for my own collection of various research reports I concluded for academic purpose.
Well done Mahruf!Hope you can do this every six months,would really help to put a perspective on the players and well,Congratulations to Regent.
iamkarib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #666
m.ahmed
mash.fly

Likes (Received): 24

Bangladesh Airline Poll 2011

Thanks mTDI and Karib and to everyone who took part in the poll. A big congratulations to Regent Airways family on topping the poll. And a bigger congrats to them for winning the Monitor Best Domestic Airline of the year 2011. The Monitor poll is a much more larger scale poll and a well established one too, mine in that regard is just a small perception poll but I'm sure it has come up with some positive and acceptable results.

Many friends had asked me why on earth am I conducting such survey and preparing a report for non-academic nor work purpose, my simple reply was - for the love of aviation!

I'm not sure about every 6 months, but will try my best to repeat the poll every year with new additions in attempt to make it better every year. I actually have some big plans and this is just the beginning .

As for this poll, so far I have received 10-12 requests to have the report mailed. For convenience I've published the entire report online for viewing and downloading. The report contains all graphs and figures in a colorful presentation regarding the survey results. Click here for downloading/viewing:

http://www.box.com/s/lbz142pro0phi60funku.

Your feedback is welcome.

Cheers
m.ahmed
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #667
MSR-LON

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
As many of you noticed, I conducted a survey named 'Bangladesh Airline Poll 2011' which I believe many of you from here also participated in. The study was a completely online survey based research to evaluate the performance of the local airlines in Bangladesh based on peoples experience, knowledge and perception of the airlines and hence determine the best airline for the year 2011. A total of 153 respondents submitted the survey and I have finished analyzing the data obtained. I have also prepared a small report for for my own collection of various research reports I concluded for academic purpose.

If you are interested to receive the 35 page detailed report which includes all graphs and figures related to the questionnaire mail me at
mahruf121@hotmail.com or leave me a PM here and I'll have it mailed to you.

The results of the findings of the study is given below

ENJOY!

Cheers
Mahruf Ahmed

Findings

Researchers Analysis
Based on the overall ratings of all performance indicators the ‘Best Airline of the Year 2011’ is Regent Airways.

Among the twenty two performance indicators, Regent Airways was available for ranking in twenty indicators (Regent Airways as an option was omitted for two questions regarding international flight operations). Among these twenty indicators, Regent Airways ranked 1st in sixteen indicators clearly indicating the airlines top ranked performance.

Based on similar and other frequency analysis techniques applied on the primary data from this research, the ranking of ‘Best Airline of the Year 2011’ is as follows:

1. Regent Airways
2. Biman Bangladesh Airlines
3. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

Rankings based on the primary data gathered from the respondents for all twenty two indicators are shown in the sections put down below.

Service

1. Airline for Best Domestic In-flight Service

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
3. United Airways (BD)
4. Biman Bangladesh Airlines

2. Airline for Best International in-flight Service

1. Biman Bangladesh Airlines
2. GMG Airlines
3. United Airways (BD)

3. Airline for Best Domestic In-flight Catering

2. Regent Airways
3. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

4. Airline for Best International In-flight Catering

2. GMG Airlines
3. United Airways (BD)

5. Airline for Best ground staff

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
3. United Airways (BD)

6. Airline for Best Crisis Management Due to Flight Delay/Cancellation

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
3. United Airways (BD)

7. Airline for Best On-Time Performance

1. Regent Airways
2. United Airways (BD)
3. GMG Airlines

Airline Branding
8. Best Airline Livery

2. GMG Airlines
3. Regent Airways
4. United Airways (BD)

9. Best Airline Logo

2. GMG Airlines
3. Regent Airways
4. United Airways (BD)

10. Best Tag Line

1. Regent Airways
3. GMG Airlines & United Airways (BD)

Appearance & Comfort
11. Airline for Best Interior Cleanliness

1. Regent Airways
3. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

12. Airline for Best Seat Spacing & Comfort

2. Regent Airways
3. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

13. Airline for Best Cabin Crew

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
3. Biman Bangladesh Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

Airline Website
14. Airline for Best Website Appearance & Layout

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

15. Airline for Best Website User Friendliness

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

16. Airline for Best Online Booking20

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

17. Airline for Most Up-to Date Website

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
3. United Airways (BD)

18. Airline for Best Web Inquiry Response Rate

1. Regent Airways
2. GMG Airlines
3. United Airways (BD)

Star Rating & Others
19. Airline Star Rating

1. Regent Airways - 4 Star out of 5
2. GMG Airlines - 3 Star out of 5
3. Biman Bangladesh Airlines - 2 Star out of 5
4. United Airways (BD) - 1 Star out of 5

20. Best Airline of the Year 2011

1. Regent Airways
3. GMG Airlines & United Airways (BD)

21. Most Promising Airline for 2012

1. Regent Airways
3. United Airways (BD)
4. GMG Airlines
5. Best Air

22. Critiques Choice Airline of the Year 2011

1. Regent Airways
3. GMG Airlines
4. United Airways (BD)

It's shame that both United BD and GMG are under performing as Private airlines. If Best air returns by summer, they may out perform United and GMG.
MSR-LON no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #668
HereWeGo

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR-LON View Post
It's shame that both United BD and GMG are under performing as Private airlines. If Best air returns by summer, they may out perform United and GMG.
GMG was not rated no 1 even for the airline livery!!! There must be some sort of biasness there!!

just a thought!!
HereWeGo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #669
aero head
AeRo HeAd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo View Post
GMG was not rated no 1 even for the airline livery!!! There must be some sort of biasness there!!

just a thought!!
good observation. The population of the survey was 153 or something and of which majority should know biman and the livery has been there forever. At the same time GMG's new livery is what 2-3 years old. Many people when they are talking about gmg still refers to the golden deer.

We should have a Skyscapercity award. that would be more interesting. What say people?
aero head no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #670
Galive
BANNED

1.Congratulation to RX for their glorious presence in the poll of Monitor. This is not good that RX is the only BD airlines that have successful presence on that poll.

2.We hope next time BG will got small place for long haul flight. Specially for 77W service. On time performance in these routes is also good. As I know BG will go for replacement of F-28 by this year end. So lets see what gonna happen.

3.On the other hand 4H and z5 should improve their performance in future. Specially in domestic and regional routes.
Galive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #671
m.ahmed
mash.fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo View Post

just a thought!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero head View Post
good observation. The population of the survey was 153 or something and of which majority should know biman and the livery has been there forever. At the same time GMG's new livery is what 2-3 years old. Many people when they are talking about gmg still refers to the golden deer.

We should have a Skyscapercity award. that would be more interesting. What say people?

The current livery of Biman has not been there forever, it was only unveiled with the delivery of the the first boeing 777-300 some four months ago and the current GMG livery has been present for about a year now I think.

Biman topped that indicator by a large margin, 65%! followed by GMG 22%, Regent 10% and United with 3%. When this question was asked on the survey, besides the options of Biman and GMG I mentioned in brackets 'As on Boeing 777-300ER' and 'As on Boeing 767' respectively to ensure respondents knew which livery they're judging.

Moreover, many of the respondents were airline industry insiders (23%), enthusiasts (31%) and frequent flyers (34%). So I assume many of them knew the current and most updated livery's of the local airlines.

Talking about biasness, well every research has its limitations and respondents biasness is one of them and the most I can ask for is 'your honest opinion' in a survey. But the question remains, why would people be bias towards Bimans livery and not be so in sixteen other questions where Biman was placed second, third or fourth.

for a more details on the poll, take a look at the report at http://www.box.com/s/lbz142pro0phi60funku
cheers

Last edited by m.ahmed; January 30th, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: edit broken link
m.ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #672
Moin

Likes (Received): 32

Air travel rises on local routes

Air travel on local routes shot up last year due to an expansion of business and industrial activities amid a booming domestic tourism.

An increase in travel hours due to long tailbacks on the roads and poor condition of highways contributed to the rise in air travel, airline officials said.

Local airlines transported 627,000 passengers on domestic routes last year, up 20 percent compared to the previous year and highest since 2008, according to air transport data of the Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh.

The launch of some new private airlines such as Regent Airways has propelled the growth in air travel by increasing passenger carrying capacity of the carriers.

"It's good to see the growth. The current trend of growth is likely to sustain for the next three-four years as prospect of massive improvement in road and railway is not so bright," said Imran Asif, chief executive of Regent Airways.

Launched in 2010, the airline has emerged as the top carrier in terms of passengers carried by four local airlines.

Regent, owned by Chittagong-based Habib Group, transported more than one-third of the total domestic traffic last year.

Asif said the airline carried 10 percent higher passengers than its projection last year.

Currently, local carriers fly mainly on four domestic routes out of Dhaka. These are Chittagong, Cox's Bazar, Sylhet and Jessore.

Dhaka-Chittagong is the top route in terms of traffic flow followed by Dhaka-Jessore.

The passengers' flow to Chittagong, Jessore and Cox's Bazar is on the rise, according to data.

Poor condition of the road and a lack of railway trips between two major cities Dhaka and Chittagong is also a factor behind the rise in air travel.

"But we can't tap the full potential due to a lack of capacity," said Asif.

Kamrul Islam, assistant general manager for marketing support and public relations of United Airways, linked the growth in traffic to a rise in travels amid expansion of industrial and business activities against the backdrop of poor condition of roads.

It takes 8-9 hours to go to Chittagong by road. Earlier, one could go within 4.5-5.5 hours. Longer travel hours to go to beach town Cox's Bazar also shifted some tourists to air routes, he said.

A rise in business activities in south-western Khulna division also buoyed travels on the Dhaka-Jessore route, he said.

"We thought operation on Jessore route will be unsustainable when we began flights. Our fear proved wrong. There is a huge rise in travellers' flow to Jessore," said Asif.

Despite the growth in domestic air travels market, the prospect of making margins by airlines is not bright yet, he added.

"Given the present growth, it may be possible to hit the break-even point, not profit," said Asif, "Because operational cost of airlines has increased in line with the growth in travels."

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=220590
Moin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #673
Silv3r
am i dumB enough?

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
The current livery of Biman has not been there forever, it was only unveiled with the delivery of the the first boeing 777-300 some four months ago and the current GMG livery has been present for about a year now I think.

Biman topped that indicator by a large margin, 65%! followed by GMG 22%, Regent 10% and United with 3%. When this question was asked on the survey, besides the options of Biman and GMG I mentioned in brackets 'As on Boeing 777-300ER' and 'As on Boeing 767' respectively to ensure respondents knew which livery they're judging.

Moreover, many of the respondents were airline industry insiders (23%), enthusiasts (31%) and frequent flyers (34%). So I assume many of them knew the current and most updated livery's of the local airlines.

Talking about biasness, well every research has its limitations and respondents biasness is one of them and the most I can ask for is 'your honest opinion' in a survey. But the question remains, why would people be bias towards Bimans livery and not be so in sixteen other questions where Biman was placed second, third or fourth.

for a more details on the poll, take a look at the report at http://www.box.com/s/lbz142pro0phi60funku
cheers
Well done on the report. I hope you have got the results that you were looking for. Just one more question, did you expected more participants? Maybe for next year i would suggest allocate more time for the survey, in comparison to 30 days.

Also, it could be beneficial for local carriers if you could have open-end question for their improvement or suggestion.

Cheer
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #674
m.ahmed
mash.fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv3r View Post
Well done on the report. I hope you have got the results that you were looking for. Just one more question, did you expected more participants? Maybe for next year i would suggest allocate more time for the survey, in comparison to 30 days.

Also, it could be beneficial for local carriers if you could have open-end question for their improvement or suggestion.

Cheer
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I think 30 days was enough to gather the target number of respondents I had in mind. However I did fall short of that number due to lack of promotion and persuasion to certain people and groups knowing that it will only lead them to complete the survey without much attention. Next time I will do all that is necessary to ensure more response yet not compromise the acceptability of the research.

An open ended question [Additional comments/recommendations] was provided on the survey and up to 15 respondents wrote in that box. I didn't add those comments on the report as I focused on a pure quantitative research. However, I will soon post some (not all, many respondents used to box to express their frustration over some airlines and didn't hesitate to use offensive language!) comments here later.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:23 AM   #675
shatilislam
Hungryforsky

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galive View Post

As I know BG will go for replacement of F-28 by this year end. So lets see what gonna happen.
Really? so what would be the replacement aircraft? ATR or Chinese MA-60? plz give us some clue.
shatilislam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:09 AM   #676
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatilislam View Post
Really? so what would be the replacement aircraft? ATR or Chinese MA-60? plz give us some clue.
Aren't most of the routes of F28s are largely being replaced by 738s? I believe some BG official proposed to procure some ATRs, but was anything tangible done to that end?
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:44 AM   #677
Galive
BANNED

Rajshahi air A340
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...s-a340-367664/

Last edited by Galive; February 1st, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Galive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM   #678
d0nny

Question BIMAN Bangladesh Airline

LHR-ZYL on sundays, flight duration is 9 hours, is this true?

40 KG baggage allowance is very generous.

If you have travelled with them recently, please post a review of their service.
d0nny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM   #679
MohammedC
London UK

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nny View Post
LHR-ZYL on sundays, flight duration is 9 hours, is this true?

40 KG baggage allowance is very generous.

If you have travelled with them recently, please post a review of their service.
LHR-DAC-ZYL

Arrive at DAC then wait about hour minimum before you board in either an airbus or 737 to ZYL. Longest I waited once during CS-TFM days was 2 hours in DAC.
MohammedC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM   #680
shuvon
Aviation Freak

Likes (Received): 2

If you visit Bangladesh Aviation Hub facebook.I have posted timeline of BG 77W and photos from LHR. .today's flight got delayed due to oil leak found on the a/c. Was suppose to fly at 16:50 not expected at 21:30.

I am pissed and I am waiting to fly...people are moaning and bashing BG officials.

Bangladesh Aviation Hub
http://www.facebook.com/BDAviationHub
shuvon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: