daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM   #41
thebig C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,691
Likes (Received): 146

Heard about McLaughlin on the radio.....absolutely gobsmacked! I am assuming there is something going on behind the scenes. There was even speculation that McLaughlin himself had lined up another job post season. Who knows, either way he was doing a great job and Ulster were very much on the up. Many top flight players were starting to be linked with moves to Ravenhill.

Whatever about the politics, the timing just couldn't be worse. This just casts uncertainty over the Ulster camp.
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:48 PM   #42
plank007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Many top flight players were starting to be linked with moves to Ravenhill.
Only cause Rory McIlroy is allegedly paying some of their wages :P I don't have a problem with it cause we all know Leinster and Munster have some big business men behind them.

Pienaar is meant to be on 200k a year lol and any of the Ireland international players get 150k a year

Last edited by plank007; January 31st, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:40 PM   #43
hypnotoad24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belfast
Posts: 900
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Heard about McLaughlin on the radio.....absolutely gobsmacked! I am assuming there is something going on behind the scenes. There was even speculation that McLaughlin himself had lined up another job post season. Who knows, either way he was doing a great job and Ulster were very much on the up. Many top flight players were starting to be linked with moves to Ravenhill.

Whatever about the politics, the timing just couldn't be worse. This just casts uncertainty over the Ulster camp.
McLaughlin came in when Ulster were in a rut, and he certainly steadied the ship. His style of simple, basic rugby, very much forward dominated, is exactly what Ulster needed at that point. Whether he has the capabilities to take Ulster to the very top level that you see Munster and Leinster at... who knows. There was a lot of grumbling on the terrace earlier in the season, the form wasn't good, and the team didn't look like justifying the recent investment.

Myself, i think it would be very harsh to see him told to move on, he took up the job when very few people would, and Ulster are undoubtably in much better shape now. With two European qualifications, he certainly deserved the cahne to continue progress next season i think. Then again, Shane Logan and David Humphreys (CEO and director of rugby respectively) are both very ambitious, a huge improvement compared to the lads club that used to be in charge, and possibly have sights set on someone else. Also, i know Brian well- he was my PE teacher at school for several years- very nice guy; i certainly hope this hasn't been forced upon him.
hypnotoad24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:41 PM   #44
hypnotoad24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belfast
Posts: 900
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Only cause Rory McIlroy is allegedly paying some of their wages :P I don't have a problem with it cause we all know Leinster and Munster have some big business men behind them.

Pienaar is meant to be on 200k a year lol and any of the Ireland international players get 150k a year

The best paid player at Ulster is actually Ferris. Followed closely by Pienaar. Which is fair enough, as they are the best two players at the club!
hypnotoad24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:59 PM   #45
jpgjohnnyg
boondock
 
jpgjohnnyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 184
Likes (Received): 28

I heard that also about McIlroy that he was providing the money for Pienaars contract!
jpgjohnnyg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:35 PM   #46
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

I hope this does not effect Ulsters Heineken Cup campain.
I would love to see them win it if Leinster dont.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #47
thebig C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,691
Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Only cause Rory McIlroy is allegedly paying some of their wages :P I don't have a problem with it cause we all know Leinster and Munster have some big business men behind them.

Pienaar is meant to be on 200k a year lol and any of the Ireland international players get 150k a year
Nice money if you can get it! I thought I'd heard that O'Driscoll is on 300k per year
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:43 PM   #48
thebig C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,691
Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I hope this does not effect Ulsters Heineken Cup campain.
I would love to see them win it if Leinster dont.
Same here....I would prefer them ahead of Munster but either way I'D like an Irish team
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:46 PM   #49
thebig C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,691
Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotoad24 View Post
McLaughlin came in when Ulster were in a rut, and he certainly steadied the ship. His style of simple, basic rugby, very much forward dominated, is exactly what Ulster needed at that point. Whether he has the capabilities to take Ulster to the very top level that you see Munster and Leinster at... who knows. There was a lot of grumbling on the terrace earlier in the season, the form wasn't good, and the team didn't look like justifying the recent investment.

Myself, i think it would be very harsh to see him told to move on, he took up the job when very few people would, and Ulster are undoubtably in much better shape now. With two European qualifications, he certainly deserved the cahne to continue progress next season i think. Then again, Shane Logan and David Humphreys (CEO and director of rugby respectively) are both very ambitious, a huge improvement compared to the lads club that used to be in charge, and possibly have sights set on someone else. Also, i know Brian well- he was my PE teacher at school for several years- very nice guy; i certainly hope this hasn't been forced upon him.
Thanks Hypno, good insight. True, you can't discount the job the backroom guys are doing, esp if they are of the calibre of Logan and Humphreys. I remember back when I played I was more influenced by some of the trainers as opposed to the manager.
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:49 PM   #50
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

It is mad to think that BOD is on 300,000 a year and then you look at footballers being on that money a week.
Its very bizzare because rugby is a big sport in a lot of countries.
More passion and spirit in rugby.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #51
thebig C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,691
Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
It is mad to think that BOD is on 300,000 a year and then you look at footballers being on that money a week.
Its very bizzare because rugby is a big sport in a lot of countries.
More passion and spirit in rugby.
I think thats the figure I had heard last time his contract was up for renewal. Don't forget though he could earn at least the same again through product endorsements Powerade anyone:P
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:56 PM   #52
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
I think thats the figure I had heard last time his contract was up for renewal. Don't forget though he could earn at least the same again through product endorsements Powerade anyone:P
Yeah that pay sounds about right.
I know he is probaly on more because he is an icon in this country but its just mad to think that an 18 year old kid playing for Real Madrid who has no expeirence the way BOD does would be getting 300,000 in a month and BOD makes it in a year.
I wish I was good enough to have made it as a footballer or rugby player.
300,000 a year is pretty taisty if you ask me
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #53
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

Six nations back today.
France v Italy
Scotland v England
Ireland are playing tomorrow. Ireland have a good chance they are saying on BBC.
Its a shame that BOD wont be playing but we have a strong squad.
France v Italy about to start.
Come on Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #54
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

Ireland v Wales has just started.
My heart is already pounding.
Come on Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #55
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

Wales win it in the end.
Wales are just a better side.
I just hope they dont lose the games against the likes of England.
Hard luck Ireland.
Lets hope we can win the championship.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #56
jpgjohnnyg
boondock
 
jpgjohnnyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 184
Likes (Received): 28

Ireland played well in parts but just too many mistakes. Wales had no lineout so we should have spent the whole match kicking into touch instead of kicking at their monster backs. As for Kidney everybody knew about the big centres, sure we even experienced it ourselves at the world cup and yet nothing was done to stop them. McFadden and Darcy just couldnt stop these guys and Earls would have been even worse so why was there no steps taken to deal with this. Ref didnt help Davies should have been off and the yellow and penalty against Ferris was harsh but when your right in front of the posts with the clocking ticking down you need to be a bit more carefull. Its a bit like last year Wales cheatd and won and then we smashed France only to give Parra about 5 soft penalties infront of the posts - typical Ireland another grand slam gone and no, beating England this year will no paper over the cracks. With the inevitable defeat in Paris coming up I think it is a great opportunity to blood a number of new players. I also think its time to change coach soon. Thanks for the grand slam (which we did our best to mess up) but we havent progressed from the Eddie O'sullivan era. At least Eddie had the excuse that he didnt have many to pick from, Kidney on the other hand has a good squad but its the same old mixture of errors and indiscipline - time for change.
jpgjohnnyg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #57
plank007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 35

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16918072

Great timing Ulster Branch, hope this doesn't effect the squad before Munster

So if we win the Heineken Cup McLaughlin will still not have his contract renewed.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #58
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgjohnnyg View Post
Ireland played well in parts but just too many mistakes. Wales had no lineout so we should have spent the whole match kicking into touch instead of kicking at their monster backs. As for Kidney everybody knew about the big centres, sure we even experienced it ourselves at the world cup and yet nothing was done to stop them. McFadden and Darcy just couldnt stop these guys and Earls would have been even worse so why was there no steps taken to deal with this. Ref didnt help Davies should have been off and the yellow and penalty against Ferris was harsh but when your right in front of the posts with the clocking ticking down you need to be a bit more carefull. Its a bit like last year Wales cheatd and won and then we smashed France only to give Parra about 5 soft penalties infront of the posts - typical Ireland another grand slam gone and no, beating England this year will no paper over the cracks. With the inevitable defeat in Paris coming up I think it is a great opportunity to blood a number of new players. I also think its time to change coach soon. Thanks for the grand slam (which we did our best to mess up) but we havent progressed from the Eddie O'sullivan era. At least Eddie had the excuse that he didnt have many to pick from, Kidney on the other hand has a good squad but its the same old mixture of errors and indiscipline - time for change.
I have to agree. To many mistakes and that is same old Ireland.
Wales have a young squad coming in. We need younger lads coming in
to the squad.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #59
hypnotoad24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belfast
Posts: 900
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16918072

Great timing Ulster Branch, hope this doesn't effect the squad before Munster

So if we win the Heineken Cup McLaughlin will still not have his contract renewed.
Indeed- "thanks for getting us to the Heineken Cup quarter finals for two years in a row, and for the first time since 1999. Please kindly move aside."

Though good to see he is staying on with the academy.

Also good to hear that apparently Bowe is coming back to Ulster! Though he has been linked to both Leinster and MUnster recently, so who knows what to believe.
hypnotoad24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #60
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,706
Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotoad24 View Post
Indeed- "thanks for getting us to the Heineken Cup quarter finals for two years in a row, and for the first time since 1999. Please kindly move aside."

Though good to see he is staying on with the academy.

Also good to hear that apparently Bowe is coming back to Ulster! Though he has been linked to both Leinster and MUnster recently, so who knows what to believe.
It would be great to have Bowe back playing for an Irish side.
He would be a bonus to Irish rugby.

Last edited by JD47; February 10th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu