daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Urban Transport

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #441
FlyBoi
you'l nevr catch me alive

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaasdekker View Post
Yes I understand maps are fancy but at the very least each route has a number and a time table which one could always find on a pamphlet, I just thought it logical in this age to have that basic info available online.

I am sure the normal bus service is lovely and I see they have brand new buses too, cant be worse than it was a decade ago!
There are timetables at the terminus across from the Workshop where the bluff bus starts off. Forget about any map. Im in Germany right now and I figured out the whole of Munich's transport setup and maps in about an hour (excluding the trams). I'm really sad about having to go back to getting on a taxi to get around Dbn when i get back... Maybe we should make our own maps.

My own question: How do I get to town from the new airport by public transport? Metered taxis are out of the question. Is there a people mover bus going there? Is the airport bus from/to town used by employees open to random travellers? At what cost? Are there minibus taxis ranking there? I wonder if they had any sort of plan in place during the world cup for people coming in...
FlyBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 14th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #442
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoi View Post
... Maybe we should make our own maps.

Good idea, create maps on A2 pages even if they in black and white and place them in a couple of areas were the authorities can see them, I think that will be a great message to them. Maybe we need to do the same in Joburg.
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #443
romanSA

Likes (Received): 222

'Transport crisis' in Durban: Cosatu
Jan 18, 2011 3:46 PM
By Sapa

A "serious public transport crisis" is facing people living in the eThekwini municipality, the Congress of SA Trade Unions said on Tuesday.

"As Cosatu we are quite concerned and worried about the serious public transport crisis facing our people within the eThekwini municipality," provincial secretary Zet Luzipho told reporters in Durban.

"The issue of Durban transport remains unresolved and we are quite worried about the silence of the municipality."

In 2009, the KwaZulu-Natal transport department appointed a new bus operator, Transnat Africa, whose contract expired in October last year.

"What make matters worse is the unreliability of the taxi industry due to their running legal battles with the municipality, in particular the metro police."

Luzipho said workers within the municipality were facing difficulties with their employers.

"Many workers are continuously subjected to disciplinary warnings from their employer," he claimed.

"At worse this has also some serious implications for the education system," he said, referring to scholar transport.

Luzipho said the union federation would request a meeting with city officials.

The municipality was not immediately available for comment.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/art...Durban--Cosatu
romanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #444
romanSA

KZN to increase bus fare
January 27 2011 at 11:17am
By Jauhara Khan

Bus commuters will have to dig deeper into their pockets when fares increase by almost 7 percent next week.

New fares for Tansnat Durban’s Aqualine and Mynah buses will be introduced on January 31, with increases also in line for pensioners’ and scholars’ bus coupons.

Tansnat operations manager Stefan Niemandt said the price hike was “normal”.

We have been negotiating with the city, the Transport Department, other bus operators and commuter representatives since October last year,” he said. “We had asked for 10 percent, but we settled at 7 percent last Thursday. We also held back on implementing the increase at the beginning of January… when people needed money for school fees and similar expenses.”

He added that Tansnat had had to implement the increase in terms of its contract with the city. It had alerted commuters to the increase by distributing pamphlets on buses and advertising in newspapers.

The petrol price will rise again next Wednesday, after increases earlier this month.

Cosatu provincial secretary Zet Luzipho said the increases would affect commuters.

“Workers have not been given an increase in salaries to match this,” he said. “The price of petrol goes up next Wednesday and so we will expect all other transport utilities to increase their fares as well. This will impact on people’s contributions towards school fees, rent, taxes and so on. While increases are a reality and not unexpected, it is always the ordinary man who has to suffer.”

He said that the increases could also force people into borrowing money from loan sharks to make ends meet, leading them into debt.

“It is an unfortunate situation and we do not approve of it, seeing as the buses are state subsidised,” he said. “Our people rely on public transport. It is supposed to be accessible and the way it is being experienced by passengers does not make it accessible.”

Public Transport Passenger Association eThekwini chairman Mboneni Qwabe said the association had discussed the increase with commuters but had not received word of council’s approval of the hikes.

“We proposed 4 percent initially, but we had to meet the bus operator and city halfway and we compromised on 7 percent,” he said. “It is unfortunate that we could not confirm with the people if this amount was fine with them, but now it just means we have to go back and convince them of it.”

Umbilo commuter Amber Williams said she was “furious” at the price increase.

“How can public transport cost more than taxis? Taxis are unreliable and unsafe,” she said. “Public transport is supposed to be a government solution. I used to pay R4 per bus trip and now I will have to pay more and cut back on some things. The city is taking advantage of us.” - The Mercury

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...fare-1.1017722
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #445
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 385

Been meaning to post a link to the cities Integrated Transport Plan for awhile now. This updated document on the initial plans laid out a few years back was released in June 2010. I have not had a chance to go through it fully yet but once i have i will highlight some of the key developments ahead.

To download a copy follow the link (its an 11meg file and 259 page document)

http://www.durban.gov.za/durban/services/eta/itp
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #446
romanSA

eThekwini to appoint new bus operator
16 Feb 2011

THE eThekwini Municipality has finally decided to accept a ruling handed down by the Pietermaritzburg high court late last year that its current bus operator, Transnat Africa, was operating illegally

This was decided at an executive meeting of the council yesterday, where it was revealed that Transnat would continue to operate until a new operator was appointed.

City manager Mike Sutcliffe told members of the executive committee that the recommendations were that authority would be granted for new Durban Transport contracts to be advertised .

The municipality's spokesperson, Thabo Mofokeng, said: "The city will look at ways of legalising the whole process and there will be presentations next week on proposed models for how a new transport model should be run."

Two years ago, six bus operators took the matter to court after Transnat Africa took over eThekwini's bus service from Remant Alton. The operators complained that the way in which the company was awarded the contract was unlawful.

The judge set aside the awarding of the tender at the time.

The city and the province appealed the ruling, but it was dismissed in December last year.

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/20...w-bus-operator
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #447
romanSA

Feb 16 2011 11:21AM
eThekwini municipality could face court action
TNA Reporter

The city says the public outcry over poor bus service led to delay in abiding with ruling.

The eThekwini municipality could face contempt of court charges after failing to terminate its contract with bus company Transnat Africa in contravention of a Supreme Court of Appeals, ruling the city should terminate the use of the service.

The municipality was ordered by the court in December to stop using Transnat but continued to use the bus service.

The matter was raised at the eThekwini municipality’s executive committee (exco) meeting in Durban yesterday by opposition parties who questioned why the municipality did not stop the operation of Transnat despite the court ruling.

Minority Front councillor Patrick Pillay said the city could land in legal trouble and questioned why the matter had not been brought to exco earlier.

ANC councillor Nomvuzo Tshabalala explained that the municipality had delayed implementing the court’s ruling because it did not want to disrupt the city’s bus service, as people depended on it for daily commuting.

Thousands of commuters in Durban could be left stranded if the municipality stopped the Transnat’s operation that ferries them within the city centre and from KwaMashu, Umlazi and Ntuzuma.

The municipality granted its bus services tender to Transnat Africa in 2009 after terminating the contract of previous service provider Remant Alton amid a public outcry over poor service.

DA councillor Colin Gaillard said a full report needed to be presented at the next exco meeting regarding the matter.

Exco then instructed city officials to investigate what measures could be taken legally to ensure that the court order was adhered to without disrupting the city’s public transportation system.

Municipal spokesperson Thabo Mofokeng said the municipality had offered the contract to Transnat to ensure minimal interruption, after Remant Alton’s contract was terminated.

The legal challenge was then instituted against the city and the province by a group of bus operators in Durban who challenged the appointment of Transnat.

A ruling was made that the appointment of Transnat be set aside. The city took the matter to the Supreme Court of Appeal which it dismissed.

The Supreme Court ruled that: “the award by the department of transport for the province of KwaZulu-Natal for the operation of a bus service within the area of the jurisdiction of the eThekwini municipality as a consequence of the termination of the transport services formally conducted by Remant Alton to Transnat is hereby reviewed and set aside.”

http://www.thenewage.co.za/10588-101...e_court_action
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #448
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime

Likes (Received): 55

Airport Bus?

Can anybody tell me whether there is an airport bus service to the CBD like the one in Cape Town?
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #449
romanSA

As far as I know, the city-sponsored bus service doesn't run, unless there's a major event on (WC 2010; I think it may be activated again for COP 17). However, there at least 2 regular private bus shuttle services.

The more popular one departs every 30-45 min, and costs R70 (no bookings required). Here's the website:

http://www.airportbustransport.co.za/

The demand-dependant one (prior bookings required), costs R270 per trip (but can take up to 4 people, so works out to just under R70 per person).

Here's the website and fare sheet:

http://kingshakashuttles.co.za/rates...1de9be49dc88b4

There's also a minibus taxi service that departs to/from from Central Durban (Victoria Street Market), as soon as it fills up. Cost is R14 per person each way.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM   #450
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime

Likes (Received): 55

Thanks RomanSA....
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM   #451
romanSA

Durban’s fleet gets new buses

November 2 2011 at 11:08am

Gugu Mbonambi

gugu.mbonambi@inl.co.za

THE eThekwini municipality is spending R180 million on 124 new buses for the Durban Transport fleet, which is still being operated by Tansnat Africa.

The new vehicles will replace older buses that are becoming expensive to maintain.

Erik Moller, deputy head of public transport in the municipality’s transport authority, said the buses were ordered in July.

He said the buses ordered were “44 low-floor and 80 raised entry” vehicles, which were similar to existing Durban Transport buses.

Mike Jesserman, CEO of Tansnat Africa, which was appointed in August 2009 to run a reduced service, said the new buses would probably be delivered early next year. He said the company’s contract to run the service was being renewed monthly.

Moller said delivery of the new buses would commence in batches from December.

“The new buses were purchased to replace some of the older buses that are becoming too expensive to maintain, and to give passengers a better level of service,” he said.

City fleet head Malcolm Joshua said the 80 commuter buses were Mercedes-Benz models and the remaining 44 vehicles were Scania models similar to the People Mover buses in operation in Durban.

He said the buses were procured through a public tender process. The tender for the 80 commuter buses was awarded to Mercedes-Benz, which had contracted local company Busmark to build the bodies.

Similarly, Scania had contracted MCV to build the bodies for those vehicles.

The new buses would be fitted with the Smartcard ticketing system, rear engines and air suspension for additional passenger comfort.

A report tabled at the municipality’s executive committee in April had indicated that the closing date for the submission of tenders to run the Durban Transport service was April 29, and that the successful applicant would be announced on May 30 to start operating on July 1.

Flexibility

This was, however, subject to the council’s approval of eThekwini transport authority head Thami Manyathi’s proposal for the transport contract be awarded to multiple private contractors, with the city retaining ownership of the fleet. He said this would give the city “flexibility and control”. The report said it was against national policy for the fleet to be owned and operated by the government.

If the city had to decide on this option, it would have to pay higher employee costs of R99 million for Durban Transport alone, and R892m extra for the entire metro area.

Yesterday, Moller said the department was still waiting for a decision from the council’s executive committee on the operation of the service.

“The eThekwini Transport Authority cannot proceed with the advertisement of a new contract until approval is obtained,” he said.

http://www.iol.co.za/mercury/durban-...uses-1.1169852
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #452
romanSA

Call to split bus service contract
November 16 2011 at 11:13am

Gugu Mbonambi

gugu.mbonambi@inl.co.za

THE lucrative contract to run the Durban Transport bus service should be spilt so more than one company benefits, the eThekwini council’s executive committee has proposed.

This follows a recommendation from eThekwini Transport Authority head Thami Manyathi that a new Durban Transport contract “be advertised and implemented as soon as possible”.

Tansnat Africa was appointed in August 2009 to run a reduced service, after Remant Alton stopped its operations in June that year.

ANC councillor Nigel Gumede suggested that the tender documents should be crafted to prevent a single contractor from dominating public transport in the city.

“Can we have a clear resolution to ensure that the tenders will not go to the same contractor? The contract must be spread to prevent one contractor from benefiting,” Gumede said, adding that the council should learn from its mistakes.

Gumede’s proposal was unanimously endorsed by members of the executive committee, who thought that the municipality would be less vulnerable if the tender was split.

Minority Front councillor Patrick Pillay said that if one company was awarded the contracts for the central, northern and southern routes, then the problems the municipality had experienced before would crop up again.

“If there is (a) strike, the entire city’s bus service would be affected,” he said.

Municipal manager Michael Sutcliffe recommended that new contracts should be for a maximum of two years, and that regular progress reports be submitted to the economic development and planning committee.

The DA’s caucus leader, Tex Collins, said the contract should be unbundled among three smaller contractors.

“The rationale behind that is that it will be much easier to pick up the pieces of one (failed) smaller contractor rather than one contractor operating all three routes,” he said.

Specifications

Sutcliffe said the council did not want a monopoly.

“Three contracts will go out to tender,” he said.

“We have to make sure the contracts have different specifications, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have one company wanting to apply for all three routes,” he said.

Meanwhile, the executive committee said yesterday that details of a proposed R910 million French Development Agency loan being considered by the municipality be advertised for public comment.

The council would evaluate the responses and decide whether to accept the loan.

Collins said the municipality’s debt collection rate was high, but an enormous amount of money was owed.

Pillay said his party was opposed to taking the loan and it would be irresponsible for the city to take on more debt.

http://www.iol.co.za/mercury/call-to...ract-1.1179500
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #453
ToxicBunny
BOFH Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 52

Awesome... good too see some sense prevailing on this issue.
ToxicBunny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #454
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caisson Boy View Post
Can anybody tell me whether there is an airport bus service to the CBD like the one in Cape Town?
The bus service during COP17 is R130 per trip.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #455
dysan1
More development

Integration for the disabled in ALL Durban transport offerings. The city is currently awaiting a further 300 buses to replace those which are not disabled friendly. in addition, the presentation below will show what else they are doing to help those with disabilities travel across the city.

http://www.satc.org.za/presentations...ty%20Study.pdf
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #456
romanSA

Looks like the city may take over running its bus service again...

---------

Plan to buy back city bus service

April 24 2012 at 10:11am
By Kyle Venktess and Gugu Mbonambi

Durban’s bus service will fall under the wings of the eThekwini municipality again if city manager S’bu Sithole has his way.

In a directive issued to the Durban Transport steering committee, comprising city, national and provincial officials, Sithole has proposed that the municipality take over the full operation of the bus company and re-employ its staff within six months.

The proposal will be discussed at tomorrow’s meeting of the council’s executive committee.

In doing so, the city can either operate the Durban Transport service as a council unit, or as a trading service. The staff of Tansnat, the company currently operating the service, would also have to be employed by the city.

The municipality could also establish a municipal entity in terms of the Local Government Municipal Systems Act to operate the service.

This would involve taking over the staff and operations from Tansnat, or taking over Tansnat as a “going concern”.

However, Section 45 of the National Land Transport Act stipulates that a municipal operator may not tender for any commercial service contract or subsidised service contract.

Further, a municipality may not use its funds to subsidise a municipal operator unless that body is a unit separate from the municipality and the subsidies are paid in terms of a service contract.

Minority Front executive committee member Patrick Pillay said that the committee would be guided by the National Land Transport Act.

“If the municipality takes over the bus service again, there will be cause for concern as ratepayers will have to foot the bill,” he warned.

DA executive committee member Tex Collins said the proposal was not a good idea and that ratepayers would have to pay for the venture.

“The service has been sold and bought and sold again. To buy it back again would cost over R400 million since buying it back while in its ailing condition cost R405m. The buses should be owned by the municipality, but the work must be outsourced,” he said.

In August 2003, the Durban Transport bus service was sold to the Remant (Pty) Ltd and Alton Coach Africa Consortium for R70m. At the time, ratepayers were promised the empowerment deal would save them about R40m a year. Instead, the bus service became riddled with problems after the Remant-Alton takeover.

In August 2008, the municipality spent R405m buying back the buses and equipment from the company, and in 2009 the municipality terminated the company's contract, a year before the contract was to end.

Tansnat Africa was appointed in August 2009 to run a reduced service, and its contract was renewed on a monthly basis.

Sithole could not be reached for comment last night.

http://www.iol.co.za/mercury/plan-to...vice-1.1282200
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #457
dysan1
More development

Standard Bank issues dual-function transit-ticketing and debit card

South Africa's Standard Bank has issued a multifunction payments card, offering pre-paid transit ticketing alongside contactless debit card functionality.

The dual-function Muvo card will be used initially by 1000 commuters to load tickets for bus travel in Durban city centre. Users will load credits onto their Muvo card at kiosks, and then tap the card against a card reader upon boarding a bus in order to pay for their ride.

The pilot phase will be followed by a roll-out to the rest of the 55 0000 commuters throughout the eThekwini Municipality region.

The card features MasterCard's PayPass application and an MChip 4 data chip for regular in-store payments.

Herman Singh, chief executive officer of Standard Bank's innovation unit Beyond Payments, says: "The Muvo card is a world first, and showcases a transit ticket sitting inside a banking chip - secured with bank strength security - along with a payment wallet."

He sees the introduction of contactless card-based applications as a stepping stone to fully-fledged NFC-based mobile shopping.

"It is inevitable that we will all be using our phones to pay at merchants in the future," says Singh. "However it's important to recognise that this is a journey and not a destination - there will be no big bang launch, but eventually we will see all individuals routinely paying with phones at all merchants on the high street."

http://www.finextra.com/news/fullsto...wsitemid=23729
Old May 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #458
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 79

wonderful, big ups Durbs...
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #459
romanSA

Nice!
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #460
romanSA

Sithole’s plan for Durban transport crisis
U-turn indicated

Shaun Harris
Thursday, 24 May 2012

For years Durban’s municipal bus service has been in a mess. City manager S’bu Sithole accepts this, earlier this month telling a city council meeting that the bus service had been defective for the best part of a decade.

The acknowledgment of the many problems can be regarded as a breakthrough, but as the city boss, what does Sithole plan to do about it?

“There appears to have been a comedy of errors,” Sithole says. “What we have to do now is look at what the options are, what route we can take.” He says things started going wrong with the bus service when it was first privatised in 2003, and that the municipality is working on developing a new financially viable model .

A few days after Sithole’s report to the council’s executive committee there were further ructions , including the threat that the contracts of certain city officials would be terminated. Asked for more details, Sithole said he could not provide these as “processes had to be followed”.

Related possible action against city officials and councillors is aired in the Manase report, an audit of and investigation into council matters by forensic audit firm Manase & Associates. A number of current and former councillors may face action as a result of the report.

“It may take some time to act on certain findings . We have to decide on how best to follow up ,” Sithole says.

The bus privatisation deal of 2003 was hailed as the municipality’s biggest black empowerment transaction . What was then called the Durban Transport service was sold to the Remant and Alton Coach Africa Consortium for R70m. Many benefits were promised to ratepayers, including savings of about R40m/ year.

“Not long after the deal [was concluded], the bus service started to have problems. Now we are looking at what we can do,” says Sithole.

“We have to facilitate a service over which we have some control, which was not the case earlier with private operators. Critically, a service must be provided on a sustainable basis, and it has to be implemented as soon as possible.”

Ratepayers are sceptical. Lilian Develing, head of the Combined Ratepayers’ Association of Durban, says: “The wheels are falling off. ” She feels part of the problem is that council employees who were operating the service “didn’t know what they were doing”. She agrees the service should be returned to the city .

In Sithole’s report to the council he outlined how, in 2008, the municipality finally intervened, buying back the buses and equipment for R405m. The following year it terminated the contract with the consortium. Then Tansnat Africa was appointed to run a “reduced service” on a monthly basis. An outcry followed as other local bus operators complained the contract had not been put out to tender. It was subsequently ruled to be illegal.

But despite this, Tansnat is still in charge of bus transport .

“That is another problem . Tansnat cannot continue with the service. That is why we are urgently exploring other options. One is to look at whether we, the municipality, should be running the buses again,” Sithole says.

But there are obstacles that will have to be negotiated in terms of legislation under the Local Government Municipal Systems Act and the National Land Transport Act, he says. Basically the legislation limits what the municipality can do to fund a municipal bus operator. It would have to be separated from the municipality and subsidies would have to be paid in terms of a service contract.

“It will involve forming a separate subsidiary so that subsidies for the bus service can be paid into that. This is a further matter we are working on.”

Another element of the plan is to integrate an expanded bus, rail and taxi service. “Commuters will be able to buy one card that offers them three modes of transport,” says Sithole. He can’t yet tell when this new service will be implemented, saying it depends on grants from the department of transport.

Sithole says that within six months the council will be in a position to say what has to be done.

The debate in the council now is whether, if running the bus service is again contracted out, it should go to multiple operators or a single one.

But perhaps, as has been suggested, the city should just operate the bus service itself once it has surmounted the legislative requirements. It seemed to be doing a reasonable job of this before 2003 — certainly much better than the fragmented, irregular service now in place.

Sithole seems to agree. “To be blunt, I think it would be better if we started running the service again. The private operators have not worked out.”

http://www.fm.co.za/Article.aspx?id=172492