search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > The West Side

The West Side West Hollywood | Beverly Hills | Century City | Venice | Santa Monica | Malibu

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM   #501
pesto

Likes (Received): 2152

At the same time as CC goes for more offices, it looks like NoHo is going for more residential. So much for putting the offices where the jobs are. This is just one more argument for the Pink Line, connecting the East Valley to the Westside.

Koretz boldly hides in the corner, telling the developer to go negotiate with the local homeowners, who are adamantly opposed to building anything ever. One more argument for building anywhere but LA.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #502
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollywood View Post
i Just Wish the Height of it was More... Like the Previous Project that was going to be proposed in the same area... it was two Tall towers both 47 Stories.
Century City has a 585 height limit due to Santa Monica Airport.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:21 AM   #503
Mr.Hollywood
Mr.Hollywood

Likes (Received): 13

suckks ..
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:31 AM   #504
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollywood View Post
suckks ..
Yeah because we wouldn't want to jeopardize an airplane's flight path now would we?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM   #505
vidgms

Likes (Received): 45

Time to close the airport. Maybe in 2015.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:16 PM   #506
soup or man
Avant Garde

I'm more concerned about upgrading Century City into something more vibrant than closing a pretty heavily used private airport.
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #507
croyboy

Likes (Received): 224

start with the street life, cuz CC has zero
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #508
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by croyboy View Post
start with the street life, cuz CC has zero
Well..yeah. That's what I mean. Which is why there needs to be a few residential towers with retail on the bottom. But even then it would be hard because Century City is so vast. Century City is far from a lost cause in terms of adding some kind of vibrancy but it will be hard.
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #509
pwright1

Likes (Received): 268

I work in Century City now and imo its more like an office park than LA's 2nd downtown. The CC shopping center is always crowded but that's at the far nw corner of CC. There's even a large Gelson's grocery store but its underground in the parking garage. Bring some life to the streets!
pwright1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #510
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 1793

It was always supposed to be a grand office park by design. Actually, this is where I would put that Downtown Metropolitan project.
Organic street retail doesn't have a chance here.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #511
pesto

I was optimistic for development along SM Blvd and Ave. of the Stars, based on Westfields proposal for high-rise, Bloomingdales and street facing retail from a couple of years ago. But with MTA holding out for a station on the other side of the shopping center, I think the main hope for streetlife is being killed.

But there can still be greater use of pedestrian friendly features and in-fill. CC can't be great but it can get better.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #512
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 347

I guess I'm the only one who sees the potential in CC.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #513
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 711

no im right there with you. im an optimist though lol
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #514
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
I guess I'm the only one who sees the potential in CC.
I have forgotten: what is your vision of CC's potential? I am not totally down on CC and I can see how it could improve, but I don't see how it gets urban enough to really belong in the middle of a big city.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #515
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 347

I used to work at CC and most people walk to lunch and from office to office if need be. The difference between CC and a run of the mill office park is that the latter is not pedestrian friendly at all. Huge front facing parking lots that CC does not have is the major reason why office parks are not walking friendly. All/most of CC's parking is encapsulated in structures or hidden away. I think what CC needs the most is a subway stop. I love the grand boulevards that run through it. For a place that holds the potential to be one of the most pedestrian places in all of LA I don't see why it gets the hand wringing treatment.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #516
pwright1

Likes (Received): 268

I've been working in Century City for the past 6 months and honestly I don't think it will ever be dense or pedestrian friendly. Santa Monica Blvd and Ave of the Stars are both way too wide, unattractive and not pedestrian friendly at all imo. Everything there seems so spreadout. Many of the CC residents drive to the shopping center and had never walked there. Have you noticed there is not one bench on AOTS. So much for Century City.
pwright1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #517
ddxv
forests

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I've been working in Century City for the past 6 months and honestly I don't think it will ever be dense or pedestrian friendly. Santa Monica Blvd and Ave of the Stars are both way too wide, unattractive and not pedestrian friendly at all imo. Everything there seems so spreadout. Many of the CC residents drive to the shopping center and had never walked there. Have you noticed there is not one bench on AOTS. So much for Century City.
ditto this, I've just moved here in the past month or so and can't believe how hard it is to get around on my bike. The whole Westfield mall is like the biggest parkinglot in the world underground. The only way to get to Gelson's is to go down the side street, it's literally the only bike friendly entrance on the city block.

News:
Quote:
latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-energy-cells-20120203,0,5698205.story
latimes.com
Energy cells help power Century City skyscraper

By Roger Vincent

10:00 AM PST, February 5, 2012
Advertisement

Century City skyscraper Constellation Place, formerly known as MGM Tower, is the first Los Angeles high-rise to be served by electricity-generating fuel cells.

Landlord JMB Realty installed two Bloom Energy Servers that will produce 400 kilowatts of power, about one-third of the electricity needed by the 35-story tower.

Bloom servers, made by Bloom Energy of Sunnyvale, Calif., are each big enough to occupy an average parking space and contain thousands of Bloom fuel cells – flat, solid ceramic squares made from a sand-like powder – that convert air and fuel into electricity through an electrochemical process.

The fuel cells reduce the nearly 800,000-square-foot building’s emissions from power generation by 30%, JMB said.

“These servers, combined with the existing photovoltaic system, enable JMB to offer its tenants a greener office environment while generating significant savings," Sarah Shaw of JMB said.

JMB has about 2 acres of solar power arrays in Century City on the roofs of two parking structures it owns. The photovoltaic systems were installed in 2008 and 2010.

Tenants in Constellation Place include talent agency International Creative Management Inc., airliner lessor International Lease Finance Corp. and investment bank Houlihan Lokey.
ddxv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #518
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 4721

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURBED LOS ANGELES

Westfield Finally About to Start on 39-Story Century City Tower
Tuesday, June 26, 2012, by Adrian Glick Kudler

Read More: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...city_tower.php
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #519
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1207

This is great news!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #520
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 1744

Would be great to see, how is the credit market doing for these types of projects?

I understand that the Wilshire Grand has received credit?
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
century city