daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #361
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad 2011 View Post
ASDA should move into The Mint in my opinion and sell of its site. just look at ASDA house its an absolute waste of space, the site could become something great just like Granary wharf.
ASDA's requirement is probably too big for the Mint, especially if they look to expand any further - it's quite possible they'd end up occupying more of the Mint, in addition to ASDA House.

I wouldn't see ASDA House as a wasted opportunity. It was one of the first redevelopment projects south of the river in the 80s when people thought they were mad to locate there. Without ASDA, a lot of the later regeneration may never have happened.
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #362
Lad 2011
Loiner

Likes (Received): 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
Not sure taller, but better. If ASDA could halve their site, they could redevelop their existing site with new buildings, and sell the remainder which would cover building costs. This would make it a profitable venture and good for the city.
I'm sorry but yes it would after be taller, if ASDA did keep the site the less space it takes up the better, so building up would be the best option, and like you say the rest could be sold off to pay for it as well as a great opportunity for a developer to make the most of the sites potential.

personally i think the site could become something fantastic like Granary Wharf because of its location right next to the river.
Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #363
Mister City

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad 2011 View Post
I'm sorry but yes it would after be taller, if ASDA did keep the site the less space it takes up the better, so building up would be the best option, and like you say the rest could be sold off to pay for it as well as a great opportunity for a developer to make the most of the sites potential.

personally i think the site could become something fantastic like Granary Wharf because of its location right next to the river.

Yes, I agree. Asda need to move out of the current location as that site has huge potential being next to a river. I had a dream that if HS2 to Leeds gets the go ahead and a new station is built on Crown Point, maybe the site of Asda House could be part of a public boulevard with bars / restaurants and a bridge linking the north and south sides of the city and the two train station.

Ok, I need to stop dreaming but as Lad2011 said, the site of Asda House could become something fantastic if developed in the right way.
Mister City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #364
this_city

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight View Post
I wouldn't see ASDA House as a wasted opportunity. It was one of the first redevelopment projects south of the river in the 80s when people thought they were mad to locate there. Without ASDA, a lot of the later regeneration may never have happened.
how are ASDA doing financially? would they be in a position to work the regeneration magic again with a new head office in a different city centre location?
this_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #365
Lad 2011
Loiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_city View Post
how are ASDA doing financially? would they be in a position to work the regeneration magic again with a new head office in a different city centre location?
ADSA are doing great financially, i heard ASDA announced just the other day that the company is going to spend half a billion pounds on creating more stores and to improve some already existing stores.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16676688

Last edited by Lad 2011; January 26th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #366
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 1040

I think Asda can fund their own headquarters.. I wonder where they could go, the Lumiere site maybe? Not sure - but it'd have to be a really high quality building
Aaronj09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #367
FreddyFresher

Likes (Received): 0

There isn't much to prompt them to move; a large city centre office, close to the station, lots of parking on site and in nearby Holbeck, all what is probably - considering their length of time at the site - a comparatively low level of rent.

Its worth considering that the new Co-op headquarters in Manchester only has desks for 70% of the staff, recognising many are often out or can be flexible and work from home. Therefore its difficult to predict how much additional floor space they might need in future beyond their extension into the largely empty Mint building.
FreddyFresher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #368
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 15

Assuming Asda own Asda House (do they?) it'll be a simple equation of once the value of the land exceeds the cost to relocate, then the decision makes sense...

What may put spanners in the works is the vast amount of car parking available to it's staff at the current site which would be hard to get elsewhere.

Also the hassle of moving head office is not to be under-estimated, so it would have to be worthwhile. Will Asda want to move to a flash looking head office, when they're supposed to be cheapest and best value...
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #369
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #370
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

I believe the ASDA site has been spoken about at the council as a potential park site, and think there has been communication between LCC and ASDA on that.
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #371
LeedsUnited
LSD&2E's

Likes (Received): 32

Thought Asda were going to occupy the mint? or is that only a couple of departments?
LeedsUnited no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #372
Lad 2011
Loiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsUnited View Post
Thought Asda were going to occupy the mint? or is that only a couple of departments?
They didn't move the whole HQ in there unfortunately, i'm sure they could of judging by the size of The Mint.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #373
Lad 2011
Loiner

Bruntwood's City House in Leeds secures planning permission

Office provider Bruntwood has been granted planning permission for its scheme to redevelop City House, a notable building in Leeds, which is located above the city's railway station.

/PressPort/ -- Office space services provider Bruntwood has successfully obtained planning permission for a scheme to breathe new life into Leeds building City House, located directly above the city's mainline railway station.

The landmark building, which is 14 stories tall and boasts 120,000 sq ft of premium city centre space, will be converted by Bruntwood into office space of Grade A standard with a BREEAM Excellent rating. Businesses of all sizes will be able to rent commercial units to suit their needs, whether a flexible serviced office or bespoke suite.

"City House will benefit from meticulous design, precision craftsmanship and the highest quality materials to ensure it impresses on every level," said Craig Burrow, Bruntwood's director of Leeds.

"The building will be priced to appeal to a wide range of occupiers and our aim is to develop vibrant and well-functioning places that create the right environments for our customers to succeed."

Plans for the building include designs for a modern new reception area with a mezzanine feature, staffed by a team dedicated to welcoming and informing occupants and visitors alike.

Burrow added: "Our proposals include re-cladding the building’s exterior, remodelling the pedestrian entrance and public realm and creating additional access to the basement car park."

Bruntwood's purchase of City House in July 2010 has meant that the company owns five commercial properties in Leeds, all offering office space to rent.

Alternative city centre addresses include West One and 14 King Street, both in the West End financial district, with West Gate nearby. In the north of the city, in-demand property Hepworth Point is fully let at present.

The company's portfolio also includes serviced offices in Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool.

http://www.pressport.co.uk/pressrele...ion-13019.aspx
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #374
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 167

So will we see workmen on site in the near future then?
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #375
Lad 2011
Loiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skychaser 2005 View Post
So will we see workmen on site in the near future then?
I'm pretty confident that we will see some workmen sometime this summer
Old March 18th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #376
/dxb/

Likes (Received): 1

from 2 weeks ago. Any updates on this news?

BRUNTWOOD could complete a major deal to acquire a property in Leeds by the end of this week, the company's chief executive has announced.

Delegates also heard that Leeds City Council’s executive board has agreed the principal terms of a new development agreement with Hammerson, the developer of the Eastgate Quarters scheme, that could bring forward the building of a John Lewis store on the site.

And funding for a ú2.5m spine road that will help to open up and accelerate development of the Logic Leeds

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorks...ing-boost.html
/dxb/ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #377
larven

Likes (Received): 654

Bruntwood are actively working with Network Rail to improve the station concourse as they feel that City House is being badly let down by the current arrangements. Craig Burrow showed a render and it looked fantastic, kind of like the new entrance to Piccadilly station in Manchester with substantial improvements to the public realm and pedestrianisation in front of the concourse.

Bruntwood currently have 100% occupancy across all their buildings in Leeds (approximately 450,000 sqft in total) so I'm confident they will let this successfully given the location and the quality of the proposed offices, especially considering the looming shortfall in supply of Grade A in Leeds city centre.

Their new property is this I believe, the building next to their current development (West One) shown outlined in red, taking total space at this location to 130,000 sqft.

Last edited by larven; March 30th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #378
oyster

Likes (Received): 92

The render of which you speak can already be viewed on the City Station thread. Looks great.
oyster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #379
larven

Likes (Received): 654

Ah yes this one...cheers!

Hadn't seen it before yesterday but probably worth posting in this thread due to its importance to City House.

larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #380
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 189

Cool

Wow, that looks stunning!
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote